• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

D3RANG3D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (D3RANG3D, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Go Go Nippon -- MB-61639F8768F43140 - Taken by jgalat
Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-D410229325175729 - Taken by bluechox2
Hack Slash Loot -- MB-E44E8BE24443ABA5 - Taken by bloke

:3

yuraya

ffaRvFH.jpg

PC gaming golden age starts in 2 weeks..

Windows 10 hype

Arthea

There's a small hope that they'll cross-release on WinStore and Steam after seeing - what I can only assume - not great numbers of Quantum Break on WinStore.

I know it won't happen.

yup, it goes like this
you imagine what you want, and MS will do exact opposite with 99,9999% probability

There's a small hope that they'll cross-release on WinStore and Steam after seeing - what I can only assume - not great numbers of Quantum Break on WinStore.

I know it won't happen.

Microsoft believes they'll come back to the market their own way. The worst thing is it feel like basically, they only consider as part of the Windows ecosystem the Metro UI and their store and consider as outsiders anything that's on the Desktop :")
Instead of considering Steam and every other applications as their ecosystem, they consider it as competitors and outsiders of this ecosystem.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I expect WinStore games to make it to Steam at some point, but I do think MS will engage in some sort of shenanigans designed to make WinStore purchases more appealing, such as, say, the Steam versions being ineligible for cross-buy.

Hektor

I expect WinStore games to make it to Steam at some point, but I do think MS will engage in some sort of shenanigans designed to make WinStore purchases more appealing, such as the Steam versions being ineligible for cross-buy.

i absolutely would not mind that.

Arthea

I expect WinStore games to make it to Steam at some point, but I do think MS will engage in some sort of shenanigans designed to make WinStore purchases more appealing, such as, say, the Steam versions being ineligible for cross-buy.

What makes you think so? GFWL?

I'm almost sure that won't happen, no WinStore game will be on steam, at least no game that people want.

yuraya

I see QB releasing on Steam by the end of the year. I even expect them to have the tv show stuff be dl with the game. Be it 100gb total or wtvr instead of streaming it. It won't be that big of a deal for steam users as long as they let you preload it a week in advance.

Also expecting announcements for Sunset Overdrive, MCC and Scalebound to Win10. And ofc new Gears day n date release with console.

FLD

also which Thief game are the good ones

Thief 1 and 2 are legit some of the best stealth games ever made, 2 being the better one. Never played Deadly Shadows but I hear it's also good. I thought the new Thief was alright but a lot of people seem to hate it.

I see QB releasing on Steam by the end of the year. I even expect them to have the tv show stuff be dl with the game. Be it 100gb total or wtvr instead of streaming it. It won't be that big of a deal for steam users as long as they let you preload it a week in advance.

Man, I really hope you're right. Remedy is one of my favorite studios but there's no way I'm buying anything through the Win 10 store. At least, not unless it's dirt cheap and I don't see it dropping that low for a while. Would be day one on Steam.

I don't really give a shit about MS wanting their own store, I can easily ignore it. But I really wish they wouldn't release exclusively on it. Some of these games deserve better than that.

i never defended league's business model (i did mention some of the side effects can be beneficial to avoid overwhelming new players, and not in that condescending tone you're assigning it for whatever reason), i merely corrected a very misinformed shintoki

for the record, i think both business models are bad: league's cos you have to pay for champions and because they'll sink as low as to sell you freaking avatars for real money and doto's cos it's got awful gacha system chest crap

league is more bad but gacha systems aren't cool or acceptable and shouldn't be regarded as "good models" whatsoever

Ah yes, the dreaded cosmetic RNG lootbox that somehow makes locking game content behind a paywall or grind look a little less worse in comparison.

How about the other ways you can get those items? From drops. Through trading. Some in Valve's store. Most in the market at a price set by the community and not Valve. And yes, for those few items that are not transferrable, you might miss out on some entirely useless items that don't affect the game in any way.

By the way, I noticed you're loving the hell out of Overwatch. A game that has an upfront price tag and then RNG boxes on top of that. I guess this business model is only dastardly egregious when it comes to the free to play Dota 2.

Before details of Doom's MP component were released, I'd thought Bethesda was prepping to have Doom replace Quake Live as the go-to arena shooter, with some more "casual" modes included so as to not alienate those not interested in competitive play. QL was essentially a non-starter, in no small part due to the fact it was little more than reskinned Q3 (newcomers and those returning to an old favourite aren't exactly chomping at the bit to play against people who've been playing the game for years), and the game is on life support these days.

It's quite likely that Bethesda feels e-sports isn't even worth partly chasing after, however I'm nonetheless hoping that there's a Quake reboot in the works and the MP component will at least be somewhat QuakeWorld-inspired.

I'm honestly worried about the prospects of id software right now. They were coming off a pretty long and messy dev cycle with Rage and then there were stories of this Doom having to be rebooted mid way through. And then marketing dropped the ball at the end and it's not going to sell as well as it deserves to. I don't want to think that Bethesda/Zenimax would consider shutting down a studio as iconic as id but the truth is they do not have the results to show that justifies their existence. I would love to see a Quake revival too but I'm not sure it's on the cards at this point.

I'd also love for it to be inspired by the older Quake games but the reality is that kind of gameplay cannot work with a controller environment. Doom multiplayer was an attempt to merge oldschool multiplayer design with newer game mechanics and it completely fell flat on it's face. I think they'd have better success picking one style (old or new) and committing to that, and in that debate I don't think old would come out as the preferred choice for the people who fund these games.

EDIT - on further thought, what would be the functional difference between Quake and Doom at this point? A different setting where you're fighting the Strogg again? Because honestly I don't see how they could improve much on the singleplayer aspect of Doom that we have now.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Some problem. I tried to sell a card on the market place, but never received the confirmation. So now, it keeps telling me the card is awaiting confirmation, but I have no notice.

Anyway to solve this?

Lomax

GoG took all the remaining copies of Jack Keane 2 for their upcoming summer sale, so there was none left for Steam to sell.

Some problem. I tried to sell a card on the market place, but never received the confirmation. So now, it keeps telling me the card is awaiting confirmation, but I have no notice.

Anyway to solve this?

Try taking down the market listing and listing it again, happened to me many times.

Ludens

Banned
Why in that SFV thread all people are crying about Naruto stuff and nobody points on Capcom not giving us a release date for this piece of content?

Uzzy

Ibuki post is up on Capcom Unity. No release date though.

CjsJvaIUUAAlnjD.jpg

Ibuki has always been a very mobile character with various target combos, but she now has even more ways to mix-up the opponent with the ability to glide through the air and toss out ninja bombs, making it very difficult to predict where she will land and where her next attack will come from.

Kunais have also been a cornerstone of her playstyle, but now players will have to be much more strategic in their use as she can only stock five at a time before she has to quickly obtain another set. That said, their utility is just as powerful as ever as she can send her entire stock flying at the opponent for serious damage.

V-SKILL: Tenrai

Ibuki builds up energy and blasts it from her palm towards the opponent. The blast range is dependent on how long Tenrai is charged for.

V-TRIGGER: Isshaku Horokudama

Ibuki digs into her bag of ninja tools and throws a bomb at the opponent. Depending on which direction is held upon activation, the bomb can either go off quickly, after a slight delay or after a longer delay. Ibuki is extremely crafty and impatient, however, so there might be other ways to trigger the explosion.

CRITICAL ART: Kachofugetsu

The pinnacle of Ibuki’s ninjutsu training! Ibuki launches the opponent into the air, quickly following after them. She then performs a series of ninjutsu seals, culminating in a large scale blast to the opponent’s skull.

zkylon

zkylewd
Ah yes, the dreaded cosmetic RNG lootbox that somehow makes locking game content behind a paywall or grind look a little less worse in comparison.
i never compared the two, that's all you friend

How about the other ways you can get those items? From drops. Through trading. Some in Valve's store. Most in the market at a price set by the community and not Valve. And yes, for those few items that are not transferrable, you might miss out on some entirely useless items that don't affect the game in any way.
that's great, most of those things are also in league and i still criticize lootboxes in league so idk why i wouldn't criticize selling rng boxes for real money in doto. i like it a little less in doto since it's also got that gacha thing of purposely dropping you parts of a set so you're motivated to buy the rest, but whatever, both are bad

i very much hate those kind of exploitative systems

By the way, I noticed you're loving the hell out of Overwatch. A game that has an upfront price tag and then RNG boxes on top of that. I guess this business model is only dastardly egregious when it comes to the free to play Dota 2.
well the conversation was about league and dota, didn't know i had to talk about overwatch too. i also had a lot of fun with a korean mmo called rusty hearts like 4 years ago that had really broken microtransactions if u need to know about that too :>

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Try taking down the market listing and listing it again, happened to me many times.

Danke.

Didn't even know I could do that it to non-comfirmed.

Thief 1 and 2 are legit some of the best stealth games ever made, 2 being the better one. Never played Deadly Shadows but I hear it's also good. I thought the new Thief was alright but a lot of people seem to hate it.

Going through the new one now. It's not terrible to be honest. I can see the complaints though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Dead Island 2 store page removed. Officially dead?

A reboot is more likely. While the game hadn't been touched by someone outside of Valve since last November, Koch confirmed development duties had been passed on to Sumo just two months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom