• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLD

Going through the new one now. It's not terrible to be honest. I can see the complaints though.

Yeah, there are quite a few "wtf were they thinking?!" design decisions in there, but overall it was Thief-y enough for me. Moving around as Garrett felt as good as it needed to, so that's a major thing they got right. Level design has got to be the weakest aspect of the game, though. I mean, most of the side-job levels were more fun to play than the main story ones and the Bank Job DLC level was by far the best one out of the entire game.

Lol, promoting a Tekken game with Akuma in the cover. I mean, ok, it's a great thing, but it's like Marvel promoting Civil War with Batman in the cover.

diflmktxsikiif3tehl2.gif

Ludens

Banned
I'm tempted to install MGSV again to give a look at those DLC pack.
But I know if I install it again, my OCD syndrome will hit again forcing me to do FOBs in order to unlock rewards like suits etc.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
cool cool, non-ironically posting derek smart lunacy.
Checked out the blog post where he posted that image and found this one:

WxLS4T5.jpg

While I understand the premise, the use of cars as an example breaks whatever point is trying to be made.

Where can I get my Toyota Razer Scooter?

def sim

Oh my. Tekken on PC would be wonderful.

Lol, promoting a Tekken game with Akuma in the cover. I mean, ok, it's a great thing, but it's like Marvel promoting Civil War with Batman in the cover.

Batman would be in the cover/poster if he was in that movie.

If anyone actually buys Injustice before it comes out and sees it's quality, I will irl come to their house and tell their mom how irresponsible they are with her credit card.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Even at $29.99 at GMG, I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Setsuna. The game looks great and I'm really looking forward to playing it - and I hear it's about 30+ hours long, which sounds great.

Maybe it's just that I have so much I want to play that I know it will be heavily discounted by the time I get around to playing it. Or maybe I'm just not hyped enough yet. At any rate, hopefully GMG keeps their constant discount in case I change my mind between now and July.

I would prefer to have Tekken Tag 2. Already own the game on PS3 and 360 but c'mon Namco, let me spend more money.

EDIT: Well I could buy the WiiU version as well.

Even at $29.99 at GMG, I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on Setsuna. The game looks great and I'm really looking forward to playing it - and I hear it's about 30+ hours long, which sounds great.

Maybe it's just that I have so much I want to play that I know it will be heavily discounted by the time I get around to playing it. Or maybe I'm just not hyped enough yet. At any rate, hopefully GMG keeps their constant discount in case I change my mind between now and July.

For that price, I didnt resist.

yuraya

I'm tempted to install MGSV again to give a look at those DLC pack.
But I know if I install it again, my OCD syndrome will hit again forcing me to do FOBs in order to unlock rewards like suits etc.

After putting 280 hours into it I'm always tempted to launch n play it again. Never uninstalled it. I'm gonna hold out tho for that one day when the entire collection comes out on Steam and I will replay all of them in order of release including V.

There is a few items I have yet to obtain in FOB and they require like lvl 110+ in medicine and/or base development. I decided not to do it because the S++ grind is too much.

Ludens

Banned
After putting 280 hours into it I'm always tempted to launch n play it again. Never uninstalled it. I'm gonna hold out tho for that one day when the entire collection comes out on Steam and I will replay all of them in order of release including V.

There is a few items I have yet to obtain in FOB and they require like lvl 110+ in medicine and/or base development. I decided not to do it because the S++ grind is too much.

That F2P drug mechanics.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For that price, I didnt resist.

As strange as this may sound, I would pick this up even at full price if it were coming out in like October/November. All the environments being snow or a variation of cold weather, combined with the all-piano soundtrack and sad story combine to make this a great sounding "winter" game. Not necessarily something I want to play in July.

Arthea

As strange as this may sound, I would pick this up even at full price if it were coming out in like October/November. All the environments being snow or a variation of cold weather, combined with the all-piano soundtrack and sad story combine to make this a great sounding "winter" game. Not necessarily something I want to play in July.

but it's perfect for a hot summer day!

I bought it, hopefully I'll play it this summer.
edited: I'm very happy with it coming to steam day one too
wanna encourage SE to adopt this policy for their future releases too

Tizoc

You know how we always talk about JP games being on Steam is a good thing? And how it's always better when said JP game releases in close timeframe to console ver.?
Time to put our money where our mouths are my friend~

jshackles

but it's perfect for a hot summer day!

I bought it, hopefully I'll play it this summer.
edited: I'm very happy with it coming to steam day one too
wanna encourage SE to adopt this policy for their future releases too

That's part of the problem where I live, even at the height of summer it only gets to about 60F (15C) so there's no such thing as a "hot summer day" here.

You know how we always talk about JP games being on Steam is a good thing? And how it's always better when said JP game releases in close timeframe to console ver.?

Alright alright, I'll go ahead and pre-order. :)

It's not like I'm not going to play it.

That was 3-4 years ago.

Right now I think there are even too much japanese games on Steam so that you cant always buy the games you want when they release.
I mean look at June.
We get Higurashi 3, Senran Kagura, Zero Time Dilemma, Stranger of Sword City and Muv-Luv.
And we just got FFX, the Neptunia Spinoffs, Aselia, Root Double, Corpse Party, Danganronpa etc.

Arthea

That was 3-4 years ago.

Right now I think there are even too much japanese games on Steam so that you cant always buy the games you want when they release.
I mean look at June.
We get Higurashi 3, Senran Kagura, Zero Time Dilemma, Stranger of Sword City and Muv-Luv.
And we just got FFX, the Neptunia Spinoffs, Aselia, Root Double, Corpse Party, Danganronpa etc.

but that's different! Setsuna is a new game! and a nice one.
How many day one releases we had?

That's part of the problem where I live, even at the height of summer it only gets to about 60F (15C) so there's no such thing as a "hot summer day" here.

Alright alright, I'll go ahead and pre-order. :)

It's not like I'm not going to play it.

you can play it on a chill summer day then!
mission accomplished!

Phawx

If Warner Bros. release Injustice 2 and the PC community collectively doesn't buy the game, would WB just take that as further evidence that the PC community isn't worth the trouble?

I realize WB screwed the pooch twice on their own accord but what is the thought process that's going to happen?

It's either, "Hey no one is buying our game on PC but we need PC sales so let's kowtow to their demands."

Or "Hey no one is buying our game on PC let's put less resources in that whole segment"

I'm not saying that we should buy every game that WB brings to PC but I am saying that each game should be taken at a case by case basis. Has WB really earned wholesale dismissal of any PC announcement?

The MKXL thing is dumb and Arkham knight was a shitshow, but those are the only two things that really stand out in my head. Am I missing others?

Balthuk

Yeah that's me and the long dark. I'll probably pick it up when it gets cold outside, playing right now would be weird.

zkylon

zkylewd
that's really cool about the ui changes on witcha 3

sadly i think i'm gonna be really short on money from now on since i got a pay raise but also got more taxes and i end up with less money than before lol

i'll still try and get the expansion pass from nuuvem now that there's a no spiders mod, but i'm probably be having trouble again buying full price games

rip me

Lomax

If Warner Bros. release Injustice 2 and the PC community collectively doesn't buy the game, would WB just take that as further evidence that the PC community isn't worth the trouble?

I realize WB screwed the pooch twice on their own accord but what is the thought process that's going to happen?

It's either, "Hey no one is buying our game on PC but we need PC sales so let's kowtow to their demands."

Or "Hey no one is buying our game on PC let's put less resources in that whole segment"

I'm not saying that we should buy every game that WB brings to PC but I am saying that each game should be taken at a case by case basis. Has WB really earned wholesale dismissal of any PC announcement?

The MKXL thing is dumb and Arkham knight was a shitshow, but those are the only two things that really stand out in my head. Am I missing others?

I don't hold it against WB as some sort of blanket point, but considering they abandoned the last fighting game they released on PC, it's a much shorter leap to assume they'll do it again than with something like Mordor 2. Personally I'd much rather they just did a late complete port like they did with MK9 and the first Injustice, I'd be much more likely to spend $20-$30 on something like that than I would consider buying a day one release before it gets discounted to $5. If they had released no PC version of MKX until MKXL, I'd be much much happier, and would have gladly bought it a couple months ago for $30. As it stands I won't be buying MKX possibly at all ($5 or Humble Monthly seems likely), because I'd much prefer to spend that money on Killer Instinct. Day one release on PC more consistently brings us crap on things that are console-centric. Late ports much more often include DLC and bug fixes.

Edit: And as big as steam and PC gaming has gotten, let's not forget than on the typical AAA blockbuster, it's still a fraction of the console sales. MKX sold 10 copies on console for every copy on PC. That's not justification for abandoning the game, but it means resources aren't going to get prioritized, like you mention. That's another reason I prefer late ports. WB was super happy with MK9 sales on PC (enough to release MKX day one). MKX sold just as many copies (at twice the price), and was disappointing to them. Expectations for day one releases of games are different (and misguided honestly, but that's another discussion).

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

The old Capcom test paradox where no action can get you the thing you really want.

What happened with Mortal Kombat should honestly be enough of a precedent as it has both the same developer and publisher. If they show that they've made good on their shortcomings by releasing a stable game with functioning netcode and all the content released for the console versions then yeah, I'll pick it up.

That'll also probably be when the game is 10 bucks or cheaper but that's incidental.

Uzzy

Given what happened to MKX, yes. Should we see a lot of information coming from the team about the port and how much effort is going into it, then maybe my opinion on the game might change, but I'd need to see actual facts, not just reassuring words like 'it's going to be great.'

Lakeview Cabin Collection is in the weekly sale. Discount isn't live yet. -60% off.

Since part six is out now...
I think I'm gonna get it.

Buying a new game in a post-Overwatch world feels kinda weird.
that's really cool about the ui changes on witcha 3

sadly i think i'm gonna be really short on money from now on since i got a pay raise but also got more taxes and i end up with less money than before lol

i'll still try and get the expansion pass from nuuvem now that there's a no spiders mod, but i'm probably be having trouble again buying full price games

rip me

I dunno about the UI changes. They're snappier and have some good usability shortcuts, but they take too many cues from Bethesda. The crafting UI especially evokes all the wrong things from Skyrim's vanilla UI.

zkylon

zkylewd
I dunno about the UI changes. They're snappier and have some good usability shortcuts, but they take too many cues from Bethesda. The crafting UI especially evokes all the wrong things from Skyrim's vanilla UI.
tbh, i think almost all the systems in witcha 3 are kind of fucked

like the stat system with the swappable mutagen stuff felt bad, inventory management and loot systems were tedious and not very rewarding, etc.

i do like how alchemy stuff gets auto crafted if u have the necessary items. like the whole thing of craft once and then just get the alcohol felt like a really good streamlined system

witcha 3 has a good world and a good story and characters and all that, but yeah, the combat mechanics and the different systems are sadly just not fun

Payday 2 is dropping the microtransactions lol.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1225645
oh what a mess

if it took them this long it's hard for me to believe it was a change of heart, i'm guessing nobody was buying those things anymore?

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Hmm, with the voucher that's a tempting price for RE Rev 2 Deluxe.

Yet I'm not too desperate for it, so I may gamble a bit. If I were to acquire a coupon from someone who got the Capcom Humble Bundle, how long do those last and would they stack with a summer sale?

Uzzy

oh what a mess

if it took them this long it's hard for me to believe it was a change of heart, i'm guessing nobody was buying those things anymore?

Possibly. The Overkill/Starbreeze devs also own the franchise again, so that might have something to do with it, if you're feeling charitable.

It'd be nice to play Payday again. I spent quite a few evenings playing with friends.

There's also this little tidbit of interest.

Furthermore, 505 Games will retain a 33% revenue share of Starbreeze’s net revenues from future sales of PAYDAY 3 capped at 40 MUSD, and after Starbreeze has fully recouped its development and marketing costs.

Did Starbreeze's VR thing ever come out? What about Bethesda's Hearthstone? I only remembered their respective existences just now.
tbh, i think almost all the systems in witcha 3 are kind of fucked

like the stat system with the swappable mutagen stuff felt bad, inventory management and loot systems were tedious and not very rewarding, etc.

i do like how alchemy stuff gets auto crafted if u have the necessary items. like the whole thing of craft once and then just get the alcohol felt like a really good streamlined system

witcha 3 has a good world and a good story and characters and all that, but yeah, the combat mechanics and the different systems are sadly just not fun

Yeah.... it feels like they were going for a more traditional Witcher game, where potions, blade oils, and equipment mattered more, and then walked it back mid-development and ended up at the current system. Like, remember Dark Mode mode? (RIP) Just seems like a whack of stuff was cut down, enough to make it inoffensive and appealing to new players but also removing their significance--making most of it feel very trivial and ineffective.

Although I wonder if the rumour (maybe it wasn't even big enough to be that) that an Enhanced Edition-style update was coming were true. IIRC it was coinciding with Blood&Wine which means... the dream's dead. Unless they're saving it for an inevitable Game of the Generation edition (because seriously, if Batman: Arkham Knight can claim GotY, why shouldn't W3 claim GotG?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom