• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

I'm still amazed at how long The Witcher 3 is. I've been playing it for over 80 hours and I think I'm barely halfway through the main game. The DLC should add A LOT of stuff, since Blood & Wine alone is supposed to be about 40 hours (that's how long the Gamespot reviewer played). The truly surprising thing is that it stays good throughout, not regressing to mindless tedium like so many other games.

zkylon

zkylewd
Possibly. The Overkill/Starbreeze devs also own the franchise again, so that might have something to do with it, if you're feeling charitable.

It'd be nice to play Payday again. I spent quite a few evenings playing with friends.

There's also this little tidbit of interest.
i'm not super informed about the series to say how that would affect it, but yeah, maybe that's it

honestly i still feel burned out from buying it, i loved playing the beta with salsa so damn much and then the real game never quite lived up to it

Yeah.... it feels like they were going for a more traditional Witcher game, where potions, blade oils, and equipment mattered more, and then walked it back mid-development and ended up at the current system. Like, remember Dark Mode mode? (RIP) Just seems like a whack of stuff was cut down, enough to make it inoffensive and appealing to new players but also removing their significance--making most of it feel very trivial and ineffective.

Although I wonder if the rumour (maybe it wasn't even big enough to be that) that an Enhanced Edition-style update was coming were true. IIRC it was coinciding with Blood&Wine which means... the dream's dead. Unless they're saving it for an inevitable Game of the Generation edition (because seriously, if Batman: Arkham Knight can claim GotY, why shouldn't W3 claim GotG?)
tbh none of the enhanced editions quite fixed the bigger issues with the witcha games, but sure, it'd be nice

Knurek

Finished Uncharted 4, aka SteamGAF GOTY2016 today.
Boy, I don't think I've ever played a game whose head was so high up its arse.
Visuals aside, I don't think there was a single aspect of the game I liked.

Tizoc

It's as I kept telling others; remove the shootybang, and make it an adventure game and it would've been better.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If Warner Bros. release Injustice 2 and the PC community collectively doesn't buy the game, would WB just take that as further evidence that the PC community isn't worth the trouble?

I realize WB screwed the pooch twice on their own accord but what is the thought process that's going to happen?

It's either, "Hey no one is buying our game on PC but we need PC sales so let's kowtow to their demands."

Or "Hey no one is buying our game on PC let's put less resources in that whole segment"

I'm not saying that we should buy every game that WB brings to PC but I am saying that each game should be taken at a case by case basis. Has WB really earned wholesale dismissal of any PC announcement?

The MKXL thing is dumb and Arkham knight was a shitshow, but those are the only two things that really stand out in my head. Am I missing others?
If you touch a flame and get your fingers burned, it's OK to be wary next time you're near a fire. If you touch that one and get another burn, it'd be unwise to keep repeating that process. The next fire could be colder, sure, but are you really willing to risk getting burned yet again?

In this case, you should ask the opposite question: What has WB done to earn trust in its PC announcements? And the answer, sadly, is nothing.

Personally I don't see the point in purchasing a potentially subpar product only for the benefit of being able to purchase other potentially subpar products in the future. If WB decides it's not worth releasing these titles on PC because there's so little demand for low quality ports, then so be it. No one should have to pay for rotten food so they can hopefully eat a more tasty sandwich in the future; in that case the smarter thing to do would be resorting to restaurants that are consistently good.

Oxenfree is 25% off this week, and with new game + coming tomorrow for free.
Fine, I'll skip that first playthrough and just play the New Game + for free :p

derExperte

ADR1FT -50%

While playing I was imagining how the next game would revolve around the mysterious disappearance of legendary game designer Neil Druckmann who suddenly vanished up his own aresehole. Unimaginable wonders await Nate and crew.

It's as I kept telling others; remove the shootybang, and make it an adventure game and it would've been better.

And get even more of that writing? Ohnononono.

Phinor

I played with aim assist on so that basically made the shootybang sections very quick action scenes with very little chance of failure. Pretty sure I enjoyed UC4 more than any of the previous three because of that one decision. Also much better than Rise of the Tomb Raider when previously the Tomb Raider reboot was my choice over the original Uncharted games.

Ludens

Banned
I'm still amazed at how long The Witcher 3 is. I've been playing it for over 80 hours and I think I'm barely halfway through the main game. The DLC should add A LOT of stuff, since Blood & Wine alone is supposed to be about 40 hours (that's how long the Gamespot reviewer played). The truly surprising thing is that it stays good throughout, not regressing to mindless tedium like so many other games.

Yeah, I wrote it time ago, Witcher 3 is the only game providing a great amount of content without never getting boring, not even for a minute.
And the first DLC was around 17 hours for me.

Tizoc

I played with aim assist on so that basically made the shootybang sections very quick action scenes with very little chance of failure. Pretty sure I enjoyed UC4 more than any of the previous three because of that one decision. Also much better than Rise of the Tomb Raider when previously the Tomb Raider reboot was my choice over the original Uncharted games.

Eh Rise of Toom Braider has the Bow and Arrow, that alone makes it better than UC4 from a combat stand point.
Honestly they're tied to me; UC4 has good adventure game aspects but deplorable shooting, while Rise of Toom Braider has the joy of murdering people with the bow and arrow but everything else is pretty cookie cutter safe.

DOOM 2016 is far more deserving of GOTY 2016 on the gameplay alone. Graphics are passable but it's such a thrill to run around gunning and punching demons in the face.

Alt. GOTY 2016 would be Xanadu Next.

If Warner Bros. release Injustice 2 and the PC community collectively doesn't buy the game, would WB just take that as further evidence that the PC community isn't worth the trouble?

I realize WB screwed the pooch twice on their own accord but what is the thought process that's going to happen?

It's either, "Hey no one is buying our game on PC but we need PC sales so let's kowtow to their demands."

Or "Hey no one is buying our game on PC let's put less resources in that whole segment"

I'm not saying that we should buy every game that WB brings to PC but I am saying that each game should be taken at a case by case basis. Has WB really earned wholesale dismissal of any PC announcement?

The MKXL thing is dumb and Arkham knight was a shitshow, but those are the only two things that really stand out in my head. Am I missing others?

Every Netherrealm fighter on PC has had issues and garbage online. If Injustice 2 doesn't sell, it's only because people wised up after 3 terrible ports of NR fighters on PC. You want to give NR the benefit of the doubt? Go right ahead, they don't deserve it or your money.

If WB games start selling poorly on PC, they'll have no one but themselves to blame. They've burned away what goodwill consumers may have had towards their products with slipshod ports that they have never fixed. I had issues with the multiple layers of DRM and the earlier Arkham games, I couldn't even play the original version of Arkham City because of SecuROM and GFWL (failed authentication on the third layer of DRM, SecuROM, partially because of a GFWL update fuck-up), got bounced between everyone's customer service (including Steam's, it was awful) for weeks and the issue was never resolved. I had to wait for the Steam version of Arkham City, that came out a year after I bough it, to finally be able to actually play the game. Arkham Origins was plagued with stability issues and progression blockers that WB Montreal never fixed, all the while WB were trying to sell PC gamers a season pass. People act like WB just started fucking up with the last MK and Arkham game when they've been consistently shit from the get-go.The few rare ports of WB games that weren't awful, like Shadows of Mordor, are because of the developer.

WB does not deserve the benefit of the doubt and no one that's remotely paid attention to their output should pre-order their games on PC. But people will pre-order or blindly buy at launch and the cycle of bitching about WB will begin anew.

A new clone of DrugWars is coming out tomorrow:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/466800

If it's cheap I may get it. I remember getting addicted to a web based version of it in the early 2000s.

ss_a77062fd00b03fd2b5d9d0825014dfc91a4a7c6d.jpg

This is terrifying.

NRS can eat shit, we already got Guilty Gear and Street Fighter and KOF and Killer Instinct we have no need for constipated plastic mannequins flailing around awkwardly

NRS can eat shit, we already got Guilty Gear and Street Fighter and Killer Instinct we have no need for constipated plastic mannequins flailing around awkwardly

pretty much true

Boon burned downed whatever was left of the bridge with that trolling he pulled making it seem like there was news on the PC version of MKX and just ended up being some competition garbage

Phinor

DOOM 2016 is far more deserving of GOTY 2016 on the gameplay alone. Graphics are passable but it's such a thrill to run around gunning and punching demons in the face.

Hey hey, let's not bring GOTY on the table when talking about UC4, those two don't belong together at all*. I really enjoyed UC4 but it's not even in my top 5 of the year at this point of the year, having finished maybe 10 games so far. Then again, neither is Doom but I'm still in the middle of it. Doom has so far been exactly a solid shooter, nothing more but nothing less either. I enjoyed Rage more but I might be alone in the world with that one.

*UC4 will win most GOTY awards this year because most awards are all about mainstream appeal. Popularity over quality.

Knurek

Root Double, you are pulling my leg, aren't you?

I just can't believe that the main characters are receiving 1100 mSv per hour. They should keel over after 30 of radiation exposure on that level.

Something is rotten in the Kingdom of Japan.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I'm going to be the Derek Smart of the Citizen Con documentary that will supposedly make millions.

tuxfool

Banned
Surely you could have researched 2 seconds on google to find that the chart is absolute bullshit

Honestly I have to question where he gets his information, such that it is a place where a chart like that isn't labelled with big red letters "A crazy person did this".

I'm surprised RE Operation Raccoon City keeps on getting discounted. Wonder if they are planning a Steamworks patch. Would probably make me play the game.

mp1990

Banned
I really enjoyed my time with Oxenfree, but I'm not sure if I can justify buying it at 50% discount, and that's solely because of it's ending. I won't go deep into it, as I've already talked lots back at the release, but it's safe to say that it was my biggest disappointment with a vg ending, especially considering how great of a journey it was (it's like LiS but actually written by human beings, not aliens trying to emulate teenager behavior). It's a game that would be excellent if it ended on a dubious note, but unfortunately bad endings seem to be a generalized problem throughout video games. So yeah, wait for the Steam Sale/HMonthly.

Ludens

Banned
I'm surprised RE Operation Raccoon City keeps on getting discounted. Wonder if they are planning a Steamworks patch. Would probably make me play the game.

No, probably they keep discounting it because there's no plan to spend money on it, so it's better trash it away with a 75% off instead of having no sales at full price.

Uraizen

Banned
NRS can eat shit, we already got Guilty Gear and Street Fighter and KOF and Killer Instinct we have no need for constipated plastic mannequins flailing around awkwardly

Add all of those along with BlazBlue, Melty Blood, and UNIEL for me. Oh, look at that, I was able to come up with three more right off the top of my head.

Corpekata

Banned
I dunno. Star Citizen bombing is not a crazy outcome.

It's a lot of the other stuff that's pretty stupid. Like on what metric is Mass Effect competing beyond just being a sci-fi game. WTF is Starfield even? Or the class action lawsuits and documentary that apparently makes millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom