• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm curious, what is your opinion of the way DS2 handled its references?
i liked it better, there were less references and they were more subtle and the world of dks2 was more original and had better foundations in itself than dks3's. both games have issues with story and characters, but i think dks2 sparked my imagination a lot more than dks3, and i feel way more attached to dks2 characters than dks3's

dks2 is not defined by its connections to 1 like dks3 is, dks2 stands on its own as an original story that still has big ties to 1, but you can miss those completely and that's ok too. dks3 is just flat out HERE'S
SIEGMEYER
or HERE'S
ANOR LONDO
. it felt lazy to me

dks2 had problems elsewhere, the original characters themselves weren't very interesting or they were riffs on dks1 characters, and the emerald herald is kinda lame (tho much better than whatshername in dks3), and it's just a less memorable game overall compared to dks1. the big bosses in dks1 don't have a shit ton of awesome lore like the ones in dks1

but hey dks1 is one of the best games of all time, it's really hard to compare

Watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine next.
not really interested in comedies, i just like izombie

that's very disappointing

Arthea

$2,400 annual salary? this can't be true... nobody can live on that kind of money anywhere that I know of.

Back in the 2012 days, Subsoap was aiming at a collection of casual games in the FaeVerse universe. Most games are still under development.

I didn't know that. Will they ever finish any of those games?

Arthea

Is it worth it yet?

it depends, it's better than Win8, it's much faster than Win7, but also it still has quite a few issues, some so old (drivers related stuff mostly) that I'm no longer sure these will be fixed.

I haven't had a problem with Win10

how is this even possible?

edited: aside of significant number of compatibility issues and as I said driver issues, there is that RAM usage/leakage thingie, which I thought everybody experiences.

Jimrpg

$2,400 annual salary? this can't be true... nobody can live on that kind of money anywhere that I know of.

I didn't know that. Will they ever finish any of those games?

Rm900 a month x 12 = RM10800 / 4 = US$2700 is our minimum wage in Malaysia.

Thats 40 hours a week too.

Arthea

It's worth upgrading so that you aren't paying to do so later. Especially when a lot of later games might require DX12

I already paid for win10, *sigh
while buying a new PC is much less hassle just to buy it than go through all the hoops MS makes us jump through to get it free.

Deques

edited: aside of significant number of compatibility issues and as I said driver issues, there is that RAM usage/leakage thingie, which I thought everybody experiences.

It just worked for me. Haven't encountered any RAM issues. It's probably me, I got lucky :p

Jawmuncher

I already paid for win10, *sigh
while buying a new PC is much less hassle just to buy it than go through all the hoops MS makes us jump through to get it free.

The only hoops I had to do was upgrade my system to date and redeem the offer through the media creation tool.

Arthea

The only hoops I had to do was upgrade my system to date and redeem the offer through the media creation tool.

how do you skipped all installing win 7 , upgrading, updating, making bootable flash, uninstalling, bootable card not working, repeat till nausaeous thingie, etc.?

even after I exchanged HD it took me two days to make it back where I was before.

Sarcasm

how do you skipped all installing win 7 , upgrading, updating, making bootable flash, uninstalling, bootable card not working, repeat till nausaeous thingie, etc.?

even after I exchanged HD it took me two days to make it back where I was before.

I can't help you since I can't understand you. As somebody who teaches English in Asia that is interesting.

Finally beaten Dark Souls, what a ride. Final boss was surprisingly easy, only took me 3 tries.

80r7Sv6.png

I feel like I'm still missing lots of things, which can be seen from my achievement progress. I doubt my character will be fine in NG+, as I'm not min-maxing at all. So I guess I'll do a fresh playthrough later instead. And now the wait is on for 75% off Dark Souls 2.

Saty

Steam's turned toxic, and Valve doesn't care

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-05-06-steams-turned-toxic-and-valve-doesnt-care

PC gaming's most important storefront is all too often an unmoderated playground for harassers and trolls, damaging developers and gamers alike

Sometimes, though, you look at Steam and wonder if PC gaming was worth saving. All too often, browsing through Steam to look for interesting things to try out leaves you feeling not so much that you want to close the application in disgust, but that you'd like to set the whole damned thing on fire

The reason isn't usability, or bugginess, or anything like that - Steam has its issues, but by and large it's a solid piece of technology - but rather the "community" that Valve has allowed to thrive on its platform. On a platform that aims to expose and promote great games from newcomers and relatively unknown indies, community feedback, reviews and recommendations are vital components, but a legacy of poor and deeply misguided decision making from Valve has meant that engaging with those aspects of Steam can all too often feel like swimming through hot sewerage.

Riot's done a good job of this because, I believe, Riot genuinely believes that it's the right thing to do. Therein lies the rub; I don't think Valve cares. It should care. It has a damn-near monopoly on PC game distribution through its storefront, and that gives it responsibilities - if it doesn't like or want those responsibilities, that's sad in and of itself, but I'm sure a quick dip in the swimming pools they're filling with money from Steam might take the edge off the pain. It should also care, though, because there's a hard limit on how much a business can grow if it permits abusive behaviour towards whole classes of customers or clients.

Anyone making a game that tackles a tough subject, or aims at a non-traditional audience, or who is themselves a member of a minority group; well, they'd probably love to be on Steam, but they're thinking twice about whether it's a good move. That's not conjecture - it's something I hear almost every week from developers in that position, developers whose starry-eyed view of Steam from only a few years ago has been replaced with absolute trepidation or even outright rejection of the idea of exposing themselves to the storefront's warped excuse for a "community".

What, then, will happen to Steam if new waves of customers - younger and more diverse - find that games and creators they like are treated abysmally by the service? Valve shouldn't need a commercial incentive to fix this problem; they should fix it because it's the right thing to do, because tacitly enabling and permitting abuse is really little better than engaging in harassment yourself

Arthea

I can't argue with a toxicity argument, because it's true, but how's that only steam or PC related problem? It's pretty much the gaming community problem at large, no?

I can't argue with a toxicity argument, because it's true, but how's that only steam or PC related problem? It's pretty much the gaming community problem at large, no?

That's true.

But wasn't GG originally spawned because Zoe Quinn's game got published on Steam and that's when people got mad fo no good discernable reason besides a ""non game""got on published on Steam, as well that SA post that basically lied about Zoe Quinn?

I mean if my comment/review platform was the place that spawned those wastoids and shitlords, I would think really hard on making sure not another group based on hate and harassment would be created there.

Basically I try really fucking hard to forget about 2013-2014 because those doxx happy dumpster fires of human being dead named and harassed a transgender girl I've known for ten years and harassed and doxxed another friend on Twitter

That transgender girl is also a programmer and I've always looked up to her because she was always the smartest of my group of internet friends. She should've been in MENSA. She also loved Sonic Spinball as much as I do. I wish she was my Waifu :(

MUnited83

For you.
Well, it's more like "any huge site in the internet" problem. Facebook, twitter, YouTube, etc, all unmoderated cesspools

New Girl is alright, it just would be exponentially better without Zoey.

So true. She's the worst. Last season started to get pretty tough to watch. This season, I quit.

There's only so many times you can watch fucking thirty somethings behaving like newborns with a random line sung by Kermit the Zoey.

That's true.

But wasn't GG originally spawned because Zoe Quinn's game got published on Steam and that's when people got mad fo no good discernable reason besides a ""non game""got on published on Steam, as well that SA post that basically lied about Zoe Quinn?

I mean if my comment/review platform was the place that spawned those wastoids and shitlords, I would think really hard on making sure not another group based on hate and harassment would be created there.

Basically I try really fucking hard to forget about 2013-2014 because those doxx happy dumpster fires of human being dead named and harassed a transgender girl I've known for ten years and harassed and doxxed another friend on Twitter

That transgender girl is also a programmer and I've always looked up to her because she was always the smartest of my group of internet friends. She should've been in MENSA. She also loved Sonic Spinball as much as I do. I wish she was my Waifu :(

From Valve's standpoint, they have wanted Steam to be a platform, in the sense of a house that has only been framed. The individual pages are to be moderated by the devs of whatever game the community is based around.

I kind of see where Valve is heading in that sense.

But for that logic to work, I think (and it's unfortunate) that there needs to be a sort of strike squad to cull these nasty breeding grounds.

Saty

Danganronpa 1 launch-month sales (between Feb 1st-March 1st): 25,324 ±3,749
Danganronpa 2 launch-month sales (between April 1st-May 1st): 15,830 ±3,092

Dark Souls 3 launch-month sales (between April 1st-May 1st): 809,436 ±22,087
Xcom 2 launch-month sales (between Feb 1st-March 1st): 692,189 ±19,581

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
it depends, it's better than Win8, it's much faster than Win7, but also it still has quite a few issues, some so old (drivers related stuff mostly) that I'm no longer sure these will be fixed.

This is the first time I hear about this memory leak stuff, never had a problem with Windows 10 so far. Still prefer 7, but 10 runs fine on my new PC.

The Steam community can be, and often is, awful. If you take a quick look at the forums you can see people insulting each other, throwing homophobic slurs and being mean. That problem isn't exclusive to Steam, but it is a problem anyway and something should be done to fix it. Banning those who behave this way from posting in the Community section would be a nice start.

That's true.

I'm not sure Depression Quest being released on Steam was the catalyst for GG. I believe that was another reason to direct hateful shit towards Zoe Quinn, but it all started because of her ex's post.

Either way, this kind of behavior shouldn't be tolerated.

Echoplx

This is the first time I hear about this memory leak stuff, never had a problem with Windows 10 so far. Still prefer 7, but 10 runs fine on my new PC.

Unless It's something different I think it was just confusion over the introduction of compressed memory (reported as "System" in the task manager) an update changed it so it's reported as "System and compressed memory" to make it clearer.

MUnited83

For you.
So true. She's the worst. Last season started to get pretty tough to watch. This season, I quit.

There's only so many times you can watch fucking thirty somethings behaving like newborns with a random line sung by Kermit the Zoey.

Yep. I'm a Zoey fanboy, but even then there's so much I can take. The "cute quirky geek" persona got old by Season 2.

Give me the show without Zoey though and it's great. The guys are absolutely hilarious and Cece has her moments. It's just the Zoey quirky filler that ruins it.

garath

I haven't upgraded to win 10 yet. My copy of win 8.1 was not eligible for the free upgrade (work copy, lots of working from home, etc) so I bought retail win 10. The USB has been sitting on my desk for over 6 months. I just don't want to go through the hassle right now.

cyba89

Why are there still games that don't support cloud save? Why isn't that a universal feature on Steam like it is on consoles?

Looking at you Human Resource Machine.

Did Overwatch release on Steam yet?

Are you playing it?

I had absolutely no interest in it prior to this open beta. Truly. Didn't even think I needed another multiplayer shooter. But its so arcadey but can be as deep as you want it to be, depending on how much you start peeking into it.

Kind of like a game of pick-up basketball. Or, for a reference that actually means something to me down in my core, kind of like a game of pick-up NBA Jam Tournament Edition.

yuraya

I haven't upgraded to win 10 yet. My copy of win 8.1 was not eligible for the free upgrade (work copy, lots of working from home, etc) so I bought retail win 10. The USB has been sitting on my desk for over 6 months. I just don't want to go through the hassle right now.

Its not a hassle at all. It takes like 2.5 hours to do it and every thing is easy going.

Deitus

Yep. I'm a Zoey fanboy, but even then there's so much I can take. The "cute quirky geek" persona got old by Season 2.

Give me the show without Zoey though and it's great. The guys are absolutely hilarious and Cece has her moments. It's just the Zoey quirky filler that ruins it.

But they just did that this season for like 5 episodes and it was very much not great. Granted, they "replaced" her with Megan Fox. Still, the quality of the show was in no way improved by her absence.

I agree that Zooey's shtick is tired on that show, and I'd rather her just move on to something else where she can play a different character. But I think it's better if the show just dies. I'm still watching it out of habit more than anything.

Pakkidis

I did a few days ago and my experience has been pretty positive so far. :)

guys, need recomendation:

I am searching for a good "Tetris style" puzzle game with local multiplayer for 3 or 4 players.

any clue?

Blizzard game in Steam? In this life time? Hmm...

Are you playing it?

I had absolutely no interest in it prior to this open beta. Truly. Didn't even think I needed another multiplayer shooter. But its so arcadey but can be as deep as you want it to be, depending on how much you start peeking into it.

Kind of like a game of pick-up basketball. Or, for a reference that actually means something to me down in my core, kind of like a game of pick-up NBA Jam Tournament Edition.

What do you think?

I guess I was a bit too subtle.

Steam thread, blah blah blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom