• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nzyme32

SteamGAF, I beseech thee.

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on finally building up my mitx PC, but I have a couple of quick questions. The specs:

Asus Z170I m-ITX Mobo
Intel i5-6600K 3.5ghz Quad
2x 8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 XMP RAM
Corsair SFX 600W 80+G PSU
[SSD + Mechanical?]
[Some shitty GPU till the 1070 is available]
Silverstone SST-RVZ02B Raven Mini ITX Case

First Question - - - What would be a good storage setup? I figured I'd go for a SSD for the OS + some games, and a mechanical drive for storage of movies / music / non - high access stuff. What works well for you guys? Would a 250GB SSD be enough - 200GB for some games and 50GB for the OS?

Second Question - - - Any recommendations on CPU coolers?

Any thoughts / criticisms? Not built an mITX machine before, not built a machine since 2011/2012, pretty desperate to move away from the 5 year old laptop :p

Nabs

man i gotta hide to get familiar with all these buttons! your config is really good tho, if you're the same Nabs that made it!

That's me! Thanks for trying it. I think Wolfenstein is a great game to experiment with both trackpad aiming and gyro assist. If you want a lean button, I'd recommend swapping out one of the bumpers for it. You can just remove the crouch button from LStick Click since the A button is also crouch.

edit: Yeah, I think there's some form of auto lean. I recorded a vid from my playthrough, and I pulled it off by aiming down sights. I think. You may have to enable it in the options.

Phawx

SteamGAF, I beseech thee.

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on finally building up my mitx PC, but I have a couple of quick questions. The specs:

Asus Z170I m-ITX Mobo
Intel i5-6600K 3.5ghz Quad
2x 8GB DDR4 3000MHz CL15 XMP RAM
Corsair SFX 600W 80+G PSU
[SSD + Mechanical?]
[Some shitty GPU till the 1070 is available]
Silverstone SST-RVZ02B Raven Mini ITX Case

First Question - - - What would be a good storage setup? I figured I'd go for a SSD for the OS + some games, and a mechanical drive for storage of movies / music / non - high access stuff. What works well for you guys? Would a 250GB SSD be enough - 200GB for some games and 50GB for the OS?

Second Question - - - Any recommendations on CPU coolers?

Any thoughts / criticisms? Not built an mITX machine before, not built a machine since 2011/2012, pretty desperate to move away from the 5 year old laptop :p

Is it this one: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170I-PRO-GAMING/

If so, and your budget allows look for nVME M.2 SSDs. Performance is substantially better. From like 500MBs > 2.5GB/s

They are more expensive though.

The onboard iGPU should be fine for you while you wait for a 1070.

As for your second question, it would be tough to answer not knowing what case it's going in so we could know dimensions. But I would look up reviews on whatever HSF can fit.

Kinda want to try Overwatch... but then again, I'm not into competitive shooters. Battleborn has coop, right? Although artstyle doesn't seem really enticing here.

Nzyme32

Is it this one: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170I-PRO-GAMING/

If so, and your budget allows look for nVME M.2 SSDs. Performance is substantially better. From like 500MBs > 2.5GB/s

They are more expensive though.

The onboard iGPU should be fine for you while you wait for a 1070.

As for your second question, it would be tough to answer not knowing what case it's going in so we could know dimensions. But I would look up reviews on whatever HSF can fit.

Nice, thanks for the help. I haven't even investigated the nVME M.2 SSDs. Will check it out. I've worked out a simple cooler for now and will look at how the thermals workout as I go. From what I've read around, the stock cooler works perfectly anyway, and I don't intend any overclocking for a long time yet

get a 500gb ssd

trust me

I've been thinking the same. Will do some looking around, along with the nVME stuff

D3RANG3D

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (D3RANG3D, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

X-Blades -- MB-A42B4699A92625CC - Taken by Valahart

:3

Anteater

dark messiah of might and magic where the config uses the touch pad to move

but the analog stick to choose abilities

but why

That's me! Thanks for trying it. I think Wolfenstein is a great game to experiment with both trackpad aiming and gyro assist. If you want a lean button, I'd recommend swapping out one of the bumpers for it. You can just remove the crouch button from LStick Click since the A button is also crouch.

edit: Yeah, I think there's some form of auto lean. I recorded a vid from my playthrough, and I pulled it off by aiming down sights. I think. You may have to enable it in the options.

hmm, I'll look into it

VR on original Doom? Is every enemy and item flat like paper Mario?

I see a 970 at a nice price but have to be responsible and wait until my old card is out the door sold.

Arthea

you guys are so funny
Doom is still great, true

I've seen earlier today that some VR game doesn't work without a VR device.
Is it a common practice? I naively thought that they all work like normal games too.
Those that are games, I mean

I know some people post in here at times about monitors...this question is more about down the line maybe around Christmas

Is the Acer G257HU a good budget 1440p monitor? I know it's just 60Hz but ones at a higher rate come with a higher cost. I'm on 1080p/60Hz right now so I'm just trying to find a good monitor to take a step up while staying out of the crazy price range.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to see them

Kinda want to try Overwatch... but then again, I'm not into competitive shooters. Battleborn has coop, right? Although artstyle doesn't seem really enticing here.

Overwatch is crazy fun. I think the support classes are robust enough you can contribute without being a twitch-reaction killing machine. They also hide K/D ratio and things like that, so unless you are truly awful people won't be calling you out personally for sucking or anything like that. There is technically a "play versus AI" mode but the AI is hilariously dump and doesn't present any challenge whatsoever.

I do wish they had a few different modes versus the bog-standard ones that have been around for years. Some more unique objective modes would be really appreciated.

data

I know some people post in here at times about monitors...this question is more about down the line maybe around Christmas

Is the Acer G257HU a good budget 1440p monitor? I know it's just 60Hz but ones at a higher rate come with a higher cost. I'm on 1080p/60Hz right now so I'm just trying to find a good monitor to take a step up while staying out of the crazy price range.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to see them

I would just look at reviews for it which seem to be generally positive

Valve gave my my DLC bundle and I'm finishing up beta runs this weekend.

It's happening.

Quickly, GAF, what should I call the bundle:
a) Army of Tentacles: Game of the Year Edition
b) Army of Tentacles: Game of the Year, Game of All Time Edition
c) Army of Tentacles: Game of All Time Edition
d) Army of Tentacles: Steam Edition
e) Army of Tentacles: The Complete Deluxe Edition of The Epic First Game Edition

?

AoT: Game of the Yig Edition

Kagemusha

you guys are so funny
Doom is still great, true

I've seen earlier today that some VR game doesn't work without a VR device.
Is it a common practice? I naively thought that they all work like normal games too.
Those that are games, I mean

In VR you can move around the room, lean, and shoot independent of where you are looking if you are using a motion controller. I'm guessing for some games, it would be too much effort to re-map the VR controls to a game pad. If you added KB+M support you'd have to do even more work. Plus you would have to change the user interface, and have additional configurations for DOF and turning speed, and perhaps have to change difficulty.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Finished Shadowrun Returns. Story grabbed me in the beginning, but I was less engaged in the second half. I hope that's something Dragonfall does better. I thought turn based combat was de facto not for me anymore, but this game proved that wrong: fights were pretty fun. Too bad about combat mode persisting in some areas where you should be able to freeroam, that was kinda clunky.

I'm definitely going to try out Dragonfall now in the future. And maybe I should give Transistor another shot, maybe I'll get the hang of the combat better there now.

Valve gave my my DLC bundle and I'm finishing up beta runs this weekend.

It's happening.

Quickly, GAF, what should I call the bundle:
a) Army of Tentacles: Game of the Year Edition
b) Army of Tentacles: Game of the Year, Game of All Time Edition
c) Army of Tentacles: Game of All Time Edition
d) Army of Tentacles: Steam Edition
e) Army of Tentacles: The Complete Deluxe Edition of The Epic First Game Edition

?

Army of Tentacles: Game of Ia! Ia! Edition

Grief.exe

I can't wait, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

19-117-402-TS

M1-v2-03-1500x750.jpg

rtcn63

The lack of a third expansion slot (your GPU is likely to take up two) and the general low quality of SFF PSU's are what put me off the M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom