• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lack of a third expansion slot (your GPU is likely to take up two) and the general low quality of SFF PSU's are what put me off the M1.

I agree with the first point. I'd really really like a MATX version of the M1. But the lower power draws of the 10 series cards are a boon for SFX PSUs.

rtcn63

Wait, does the M1 have three expansion slots, or am I thinking of how MITX botherboards generally don't come with three?

Phawx

Get on it before Intel pulls out of desktop CPUs completely.

That's where a big chunk of their profits are. The reason they shuttered Atom was because they were trying to compete with ARM and tray (1000 units) was $22per.

They made a great effort. The x5-8550 is a great chip for the price. But the market spoke and just wants to continue using Qualcomm.

Popstar

I can't wait, I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.
I have an M1 and it's a great case.

The lack of a third expansion slot (your GPU is likely to take up two) and the general low quality of SFF PSU's are what put me off the M1.
The M1 has three expansion slots on the back. You can find motherboards that will allow you a 2-slot GPU and another single slot card that fit in the M1. The selection isn't the best though.

I agree with the first point. I'd really really like a MATX version of the M1. But the lower power draws of the 10 series cards are a boon for SFX PSUs.
http://www.kimeraindustries.com/cerberus/ is basically an MATX version. Their Kickstarter failed tho. But they evidently are working on an alternate plan for production.

Knurek

Is this a reference to their mobile thing or is there some major news that I've somehow missed?

They recently announced they don't care about mobile and instead want to focus on 'Cloud, Internet of Things and 5G Efforts'
So, basically, fridges with Intel Inside all around us.

zkylon

zkylewd
Overwatch is crazy fun. I think the support classes are robust enough you can contribute without being a twitch-reaction killing machine. They also hide K/D ratio and things like that, so unless you are truly awful people won't be calling you out personally for sucking or anything like that. There is technically a "play versus AI" mode but the AI is hilariously dump and doesn't present any challenge whatsoever.

I do wish they had a few different modes versus the bog-standard ones that have been around for years. Some more unique objective modes would be really appreciated.
i really like the decision of not displaying team kda

makes the game a lot less individualistic and it's so damn simple

Popstar

Wait, does the M1 have three expansion slots, or am I thinking of how MITX botherboards generally don't come with three?
M1 has three slots, mini-ITX boards only have a single one. Mini-DTX boards have two expansion slots, so if the x16 slot is second you can fit a 2-slot GPU in the M1 while still having a free slot.

Grief.exe

M1 is so clean, but aren't you a soundcard guy Grief?

External dac, my sound card actually doesn't work with Linux.

I was looking to grab this one, but I don't think it ever surfaced

image.png

EDIT: Just found this on a random thread
...the "SFX-L" form factor "SST-SX700-LPT"... Released in May plan, the price is tax 26,000 yen

EDIT2: Apparently Siverstone just posted the product page on their site

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=670&area=en#tab3

Kiru

Finished Forza 6 Apex. Not bad.
Game either eats up too much System RAM or VRAM though.

Also UWP games are weird. No way to get some FPS overlay...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
for only the best pcs
ModBot said:
Instructions for alr1ght:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (alr1ght, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Killing Floor 2 Alienware Mask DLC -- MB-B4E21C4B182A1581 - Taken by voodooray

Grief.exe

i'll play the shit out of Titanfall 2 on Origin™

I was so hyped for Titanfall, but when they forced ADS into arena-shooter gameplay I became extremely disappointed in the ultimate output.

Battlefield, Titanfall, everything has to be homogenized with Call of Duty gunplay.

zkylon

zkylewd
I was so hyped for Titanfall, but when they forced ADS into arena-shooter gameplay I became extremely disappointed in the ultimate output.

Battlefield, Titanfall, everything has to be homogenized with Call of Duty gunplay.
actually yeah, titanfall would be better without ADS, but i don't think it hurt it so bad

mostly i didn't like the level design, i loved how the game moved, specially outside the mech, but there were so many open levels that made it really difficult to run around hiding and parkouring

I have an M1 and it's a great case.

The M1 has three expansion slots on the back. You can find motherboards that will allow you a 2-slot GPU and another single slot card that fit in the M1. The selection isn't the best though.

http://www.kimeraindustries.com/cerberus/ is basically an MATX version. Their Kickstarter failed tho. But they evidently are working on an alternate plan for production.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHGHGHGGGGGG! THAT'S MY EVERYTHING!

zkylon

zkylewd
that doom video looks kinda cool, singleplayer looks fun

wolfenstein runs and looks pretty alright

i can't play this with a steam controller
yeah i didn't care much for the story and all the gratuitous violence (tho that's on me) but it's pretty fun

Grief.exe

It's crazy how much better the game looks with autorun and mkb

That footage looks surprisingly good.

Seriously, I'll never understand showing a shooter played with a gamepad, they look so unnatural, human eyes aren't that slow!

You can always tell when you're watching console footage.

When the reticle sweep slowly over to the target, and they are always super inaccurate.

Adnor

Banned
You can always tell when you're watching console footage.

When the reticle sweep slowly over to the target, and they are always super inaccurate.

I've always hated the super slow pan to show scenery in live demos. Nobody does that! Or at least nobody moves the camera that frustratingly slow.

personally watching that video kind of made me sick because of all the super fast mouse movements

I can understand that, I guess I'm used to watch fast movement because I really liked to watch Q3 videos.

Nzyme32

Trigger is being pulled - finally I'll be stepping away from an ancient laptop. Gonna have to wait on the 1070 & an extra Hard drive till June I think

xpH18Hm.png

Grief.exe

Trigger is being pulled - finally I'll be stepping away from an ancient laptop. Gonna have to wait on the 1070 & an extra Hard drive till June I think

xpH18Hm.png

The only thing I would recommend is an i7 for games that are properly multi-threaded, if your budget allows of course.

That's where a big chunk of their profits are. The reason they shuttered Atom was because they were trying to compete with ARM and tray (1000 units) was $22per.

They made a great effort. The x5-8550 is a great chip for the price. But the market spoke and just wants to continue using Qualcomm.
Shame. It would have made for some great Steamboy innards.
wolfenstein runs and looks pretty alright

i can't play this with a steam controller
From the small pic I thought this was Half-Life 2's train bridge part.

xpH18Hm.png
Good luck and have fun building it. Good times ahead. Well, until you get a GPU ;)

Uzzy

Alice is so cool

Go play it

I'm playing it again

Also cool, quoting your images so they're not massive in the thread!

But yes, Alice: Madness Returns is one hell of a beautiful game. I really loved it. The mechanics weren't the best, but the story and levels just kept me going.

I am potato
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Sparkle 2 Evo -- MB-F7DCC32B7D8EC9CE
Nanofights -- MB-BCF837978D12C134 - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
Sparkle 3 Genesis -- MB-65B4DE9997E96D50 - Taken by gaiadyne. 1 entrants total.
Merchants of Kaidan -- MB-C6DA362AFEAE4468 - Taken by Saty. 1 entrants total.
Violett Remastered -- MB-4E72687B2C547203 - Taken by Costa1774. 1 entrants total.
Timberman -- MB-B262D46170FD2657 - Taken by UnderWaterTree. 1 entrants total.
Fort Defense -- MB-CDAF228972462706

t1462665787z1.png

Phawx

Hey guys,

so I crunched the numbers from nvidia's nonsense and I think I got something solid.

I'll be doing a video later and I'll probably do a new thread on gaming side. Anyway, sneak peek:

nAVC3Pp.png

kkKzemQ.png

If you multiply Nvidia's garbage scale x20 to make it a scale of 100, it's easier to get the % difference.

And guess what, if you look at Witcher 3 benchmarks of 1.04> patch, the % difference lines up.

Edit: just to clarify, it's a 32.5% diff from 980 > Titan X. Which is also the % diff on the garbage scale.

Edit edit: also going by Nvidia's own nonsense, Tomb Raider DX12 only runs at 40~FPS at 4k. HBM2 can't come soon enough.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty -- MB-EC8B82341989FEA4 - Taken by Eila. 17 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Mad Max -- MB-7E9C538C51AD51EA - Taken by alr1ght. 35 entrants total.

t1462676008z1.png

Anteater

Also cool, quoting your images so they're not massive in the thread!

according to my keikaku

But yes, Alice: Madness Returns is one hell of a beautiful game. I really loved it. The mechanics weren't the best, but the story and levels just kept me going.

yeah sad to see the studio isn't don't too well

I think mechanically it controls incredibly well, it just doesn't excel at anything the entire game

I think it doesn't do anything bad so with some minor effort the studio could've made a really good game

Hey guys,

so I crunched the numbers from nvidia's nonsense and I think I got something solid.

I'll be doing a video later and I'll probably do a new thread on gaming side. Anyway, sneak peek:

[...]

If you multiply Nvidia's garbage scale x20 to make it a scale of 100, it's easier to get the % difference.

And guess what, if you look at Witcher 3 benchmarks of 1.04> patch, the % difference lines up.

Edit: just to clarify, it's a 32.5% diff from 980 > Titan X. Which is also the % diff on the garbage scale.

Edit edit: also going by Nvidia's own nonsense, Tomb Raider DX12 only runs at 40~FPS at 4k. HBM2 can't come soon enough.
Going the extra mile. Neat.

I've always hated the super slow pan to show scenery in live demos. Nobody does that! Or at least nobody moves the camera that frustratingly slow.
I do that when the devs intend me to do so. When I've been underground for hours and see the sky is a perfect time for it. I like framing characters as cinematicly as possible when they are talking.

What gives away console footage to me is detecting auto aim. The reticle is meandering around an enemy and it snaps to their head or they pull the trigger and get a head shot when it shouldn't have been.

Nzyme32

The only thing I would recommend is an i7 for games that are properly multi-threaded, if your budget allows of course.

Yeah, it's not on the cards for now due to cost, but I'll likely switch later on.

Good luck and have fun building it. Good times ahead. Well, until you get a GPU ;)

Congrats, I hope it goes well for you.

Cheers! I've put it off for so long and been dealing with a gt525m 1gb at 1366x768 from 2011 to now, when I used to have a great machine but had to sell to pay uni and medical stuff. It's nice to get most of the parts together, and in June / July I'll finally be back in the game!

When you do, post the details and/or pics.

I honestly love seeing new rigs and how people configure them. If I had endless money, I'd just buy parts and mix/match all the time. It's so frustrating and exciting and tense and rewarding.

Definitely will do when it's completed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom