• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

Giving Dark Souls another try since everyone is talking so much about the third one, and as someone who does literally exactly the same thing every single day in World of Warcraft... goddamn this game is tedious. It isn't even the "git gud" aspect that's annoying, because the vast majority of the game isn't hard at all. But having to do the same 10-15 mobs, in exactly the same way, over and over again just to get to the parts that actually are challenging? Yeah, that gets annoying real quick. Sorry, but I had my fair share of mind numbing repetition back in the NES days. It just makes the game a chore, and quite frankly, boring.

Erudite

Giving Dark Souls another try since everyone is talking so much about the third one, and as someone who does literally exactly the same thing every single day in World of Warcraft... goddamn this game is tedious. It isn't even the "git gud" aspect that's annoying, because the vast majority of the game isn't hard at all. But having to do the same 10-15 mobs, in exactly the same way, over and over again just to get to the parts that actually are challenging? Yeah, that gets annoying real quick. Sorry, but I had my fair share of mind numbing repetition back in the NES days. It just makes the game a chore, and quite frankly, boring.
Interesting, I've never had an issue with doing the same mobs feeling tedious in any of the Soulsborne games, as someone who's finished all of them. I find that once I figure out the enemy movesets and placements in an area, they become a non-issue.

I wonder if perhaps you're missing intermediary bonfires, and as a result doing a longer run-up to bosses than necessary? Generally the bonfires aren't too far from boss encounters. Otherwise yeah, maybe the series just isn't your cup of tea.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine

I think its those slight variations that can happen in every encounter that make it not boring for most people. You know there are X guys up there, you know you need to watch out for the archers, you know all of their movesets...but its different almost every time. Except when you can run in and 1 or 2 shot them.

Nyoro SF

Why is Valkyria Chronicles so good

The music. Sakamoto is a god.

Here, have a complimentary image.

mbSDnxc.jpg

Complimentary Valkyria Chronicles giveaway.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rockin' Ranger:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Valkyria Chronicles -- MB-23F1F33C9E5B2A9B - Taken by Foolia. 1 entrants total.
Knights of the Old Republic II -- MB-A438525EFB4C7D25 - Taken by eyeless. 2 entrants total.

t1462689574z1.png

Lomax

I think its those slight variations that can happen in every encounter that make it not boring for most people. You know there are X guys up there, you know you need to watch out for the archers, you know all of their movesets...but its different almost every time. Except when you can run in and 1 or 2 shot them.

Except... it's not different. The spawns are the same, the behaviors are the same, it's entirely predictable (which most people seem to applaud). I read some interesting advice earlier, it said to listen to a podcast while playing, that way the repetition wouldn't be as noticeable. I suppose I could try something like that, but do I really want to play something that requires distraction to be tolerable? I played it about 8 hours the first time I tried before the annoyance really set in (and my computer really wasn't up to snuff for it anyway). I figured I'd give it another try with my new video card and do it "right," I read up on classes and stats and started over and referred to a walkthrough... and even faster I'm already feeling that way. Shoot this guy... block that guy... then fuck up on a fairly easy boss and have to do it all over again. By the third or fourth time I'm so annoyed at clearing the trash I don't even care about the boss any more, which of course just makes me screw it up again.

Maybe it's too many years of MMOs but the trash does nothing but annoy me. As I recall from people talking about Dark Souls II they did something that eventually stops the spawns, but still, I can't help feeling that the majority of the game is just repetition of stuff that I don't particularly get enjoyment out of. But such is life, not every game is for every one and I've just got too much else I could play. I don't give most games 13 hours to entertain me, but on some level I really wanted to like it. Maybe I'm just too old now to enjoy beating my face against a wall until it falls down.

Phawx

Hey guys,

The GTX 1080 video finished processing and it's up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DkXYAIp7vs

Based on Nvidia's graph, it looks like a 1080 is

20% faster than a Titan X
50% faster than a 980
70% faster than a 970

It would seem I already hurt one Nvidia fans feelings with my video.

They really don't like it when you mock team green.

Edit: also for those that didn't see from before, it would seem that running games ultra @4k won't hit 60fps on the 1080. Gonna have to wait another year for that.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hey guys,

The GTX 1080 video finished processing and it's up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DkXYAIp7vs

Based on Nvidia's graph, it looks like a 1080 is

20% faster than a Titan X
50% faster than a 980
70% faster than a 970

It would seem I already hurt one Nvidia fans feelings with my video.

They really don't like it when you mock team green.

Edit: also for those that didn't see from before, it would seem that running games ultra @4k won't hit 60fps on the 1080. Gonna have to wait another year for that.

So, roughly 23% faster than the 980 Ti if your napkin maths pans out. That's not too bad but, at this juncture, probably only worth the upgrade if either the 6GB VRAM is too limiting or you can fetch a good price for your card.

Phawx

So, roughly 23% faster than the 980 Ti if your napkin maths pans out. That's not too bad.

My napkin math is rock solid! Also finding that the performance delta between the Titan X and the 980 on Nvidia's crap chart matched perfectly to a third party bench for the Witcher 3 made me super happy.

It was like I had performed accurate voodoo decrypting that bogus chart.

Ludens

Banned
I think I'm almost done with DS3, only missing one optional area with two bosses.
Anyway for me this is the easier Souls game ever.
I never got stuck into a boss if not for Aldrich, which I defeated with the help of Veggie in one hour or so anyway. The other boss I tried four times (succeeding in the fourth time) was the last Lord of Cinder,

I first tried a lot of bosses, but until now excluding the two cases I listed, I usually defeated a boss in my second attempt at the worst.

Maybe it's because after 3 Souls games (and Bloodborne which I still need to finish since I don't own it, but that plays a bit different from Souls games), the trick are always the same in the end. It's not even a question of being skilled in my opinion, because I feel like I'm not putting too much effort into playing it, and still I go on very fast.

In example, I really suffered with the Ni-Oh demo, but with DS3 I'm having no problems.

I think and hope From will really put a stop to Souls franchise, I guess it's a fatigue case the one I'm talking about.
Also I noticed in DS3 there is a lot of "recycled" stuff, or references if you want call them like this.
In example some locations really remind me Boletaria, Anor Londo 2.0, the dark version of the Sanctuary, the library reminds me of the Bloodborne's city.
...not sure if I appreciate them or not, they feel a bit forced in my opinion.

I'm liking the game, but I have no sense of wonder, if you wanna call it in this way, like I did when playing DS1 and Demon's Souls, even Bloodborne.

kagamin

100% Orange Juice is just my go to Steam game when I don't feel like playing anything else... Project Diva games on my Vita serve a similar purpose, or I just play them on the bus because I can.

You can run past a lot of the mobs to get to where you want to go. Where are you at the moment?

Wok

Went through every game on Steam to try to prune my wishlist. Didn't end up pruning my wishlist, but switched over 1,000 games from no opinion to Not Interested so at least I won't need to see them during sales. Thanks Enhanced Steam.

KxJ3NAo.png

yeahhhh boy.

It looks like I am finally ahead.

creAt8l.png

Had to turn off screenshots on the community tab because:
A. people are posting way too many screenshots from games without spoiler tagging. Especially on older games.
B. the spoiler feature being mouse over is really easy to trigger by accident. It should be a click to reveal and cover the full image.

Don't fight the same enemies over and over. Kill them at least once to get the items they may be protecting and then just consider running past them next time when you die further ahead. You can fight them again if you feel like it but it'll lead to the feeling of getting bogged down like you are right now.

Did Humble change the coupon for the Monthly Bundles?
Before it was 10% off, now it's 10% off for new subscibers

They did, and I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago I think. They even keep track of whether you've been a past subscriber so you can't unsub and then resub and take advantage of the coupon.

I hate the e.mails "this game is on sale" that's why I cleared it out.

You can disable wishlist emails ;)

I personally find Dark Souls 3 to be a disappointment in terms of lack on replayability, no hard mode covenant, no enemy placement changes for NG+, reliance on Dark Souls 1 nostalgia, no invasions or friendly summoning in areas where you've beaten the boss, no PVP arena. Its just overall missing a lot of the things that kept me playing Dark Souls 2 for 781 hours, which is a damn shame because I like it more than the first game because of the boss fights.

Very good points here. I still put DS3 as the better game, but if I had a lot more time to play games in general (i.e. repayable content), I would probably feel DS2 was better as well. DS2 gets a bad rap, and deservedly so for many things, but it also did a lot of things right and better than any other Soulsborne game at that.

Deques

I hate the e.mails "this game is on sale" that's why I cleared it out.

Go to your account settings -> Manage Email Preferences -> Opt out of all email marketing communication, or uncheck what you don't want

They did, and I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago I think. They even keep track of whether you've been a past subscriber so you can't unsub and then resub and take advantage of the coupon.

That's a dick move, if they don't want 10% off, then don't introduce it. It's $1.8 saving, not much but still something

Wok

No games in your wishlist? How am I supposed to know what game to gift you in the next sale? :p

I tend to come back to my whishlist and check games again afer a few days or weeks. After a few checks, I either buy the game or remove it from my wishlist. It just happens that there is currently no game on the list.

Maybe I have a little OCD.

Edit: I am eager to play two games though:
  • Gorogoa
  • Miegakure
Both should be released this year, obviously on Steam as well, but they are not on the store yet.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 23 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Heaven Island: VR MMO -- MB-2D4200625E46BA61
Cataegis: The White Wind -- MB-1F1E94C7EFB632D2 - Taken by ExoSoul
Doorways: Chapters 1-3 -- MB-18D9849EBCFAEE24 - Taken by fuzzy123
Tea Party Simulator 2015 -- MB-67069A794DE72AFA - Taken by Diedac
8BitBoy -- MB-35E99263F1103EE9
Mystery of Unicorn Castle: The Beastmaster -- MB-31F8B8B584C845E5 - Taken by bobnowhere
Gon' E-Choo! -- MB-159354179175C924 - Taken by OmarYusaf
CAT Interstellar -- MB-12C56AC4041B246A - Taken by voodooray
Boxlife -- MB-F855349E9B2B8C08 - Taken by Kifimbo
Dyscourse -- MB-EDCA5A24CB349E18 - Taken by Kuroyume
Dreamflight VR -- MB-7291F6FD5A0F9862 - Taken by SSPssp
Gunman Clive -- MB-9BFDBA07A2305BC3 - Taken by Eila
TownCraft -- MB-3DAD246BA3976491 - Taken by Catshade
Luna Sky -- MB-BBA08429DD220FE1 - Taken by rainking187
Dungeon Hero -- MB-8979AE065CD0696F - Taken by Henry Swanson
Metrocide -- MB-C4FD6905CF030580 - Taken by Regginator
Reflections -- MB-A19C59FC1CB58C9B - Taken by nightstorm
Caravanserail -- MB-846DCD04AA56E3DF - Taken by Jalal
Tennis in the Face -- MB-E25B614900A4973D - Taken by redlacs
AdvertCity -- MB-C75349F939E1F192 - Taken by Loptous
Spectrubes -- MB-B42A49E88E0F87FD - Taken by Costa1774
Twilight City: Love as a Cure -- MB-B79DBB61B8D766E8 - Taken by septicore
Gunman Clive 2 -- MB-3FBA7B1882776391 - Taken by spindoctor

Don't fight the same enemies over and over. Kill them at least once to get the items they may be protecting and then just consider running past them next time when you die further ahead. You can fight them again if you feel like it but it'll lead to the feeling of getting bogged down like you are right now.

While you can often run past enemies, that does not make it any less mindless or repetitive if you get stuck on a boss .. on the contrary, running past enemies makes it even more mindless, since you barely have to pay attention most of the time. The games may as well have forced you to sit through the boss-cinematic every time you fought a boss, yet From did get that part right.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If I ever get a 1080, I'll still use it for 1080p lololololololololololololololololol

same heh.

overwatch open beta extended 1 day for those that missed the news (ends tuesday now)

zkylon

zkylewd
watched that new cloverfield movie thing

man that thing was so bad, i can't believe that garbage cost 15m to make lol

I can understand that, I guess I'm used to watch fast movement because I really liked to watch Q3 videos.
i actually play pretty quick with the mouse (nowhere near as quick as real quick ppl) but yea videos make me feel a bit sick, so i prefer the smoother controller camera movement

but i think the speed really comes accross in that doom video (i guess it's like a very experienced player playing it? looked like the guy knew his stuff and was like super fast checking the map and switching guns) so it was prolly a good idea

Alice is so cool

Go play it

I'm playing it again

screenshot_2016-05-05u3kle.jpg

screenshot_2016-05-07haj0m.jpg
gross

Hektor

This summersale i probably won't buy anything. I pretty much have everything i want by now.

watched that new cloverfield movie thing

man that thing was so bad, i can't believe that garbage cost 15m to make lol

I've heard nothing but praise for this movie so far, mhm.

I know when the summer sale is and you guys don't.

and that's all i'm saying so don't even try

Good, it would be pretty rude if you'd spoil other people the surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom