• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2016 - VAC to life, VAC to reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I think you mean strange instead funny, it's the first time this game gets ported to PC, and just like the othe FF titles they just put it on the store like it's nothing.

and it's one of their bestselling FFs, one would think they want more of that
but what do I know?

Kudo

I think you mean strange instead funny, it's the first time this game gets ported to PC, and just like the othe FF titles they just put it on the store like it's nothing.

Both work.
It's definitely weird, you'd think they want to maximize profit.

Ludens

Banned
I really liked it when I played it but on retrospect I didn't really enjoy the long battles (all those summon animation), Tidus' character...

To Zanarkand remains one of the best video game tunes though

I think I agree with you. When I played it...man, 15 years ago, I did it from a friend, since the PS2 was still too expensive for me. And going from PS1 graphics to PS2 ones, with TALKING characters was a blast.
But honestly, FFX is not so great. It's not bad, of course, there's ton of optional stuff to do, the soundtrack is great (Suteki Da Ne and several cutscenes are still amazing), but the game drags for too long, the plot is kinda confusing and, in the end, very dumb. The fight system is great, I liked the way you can build your character, but in the end, when all characters will lear everything, they all will be the same, excluding the fact Yuna can summon.

I think it's the case of a game which was great back in days for several factors, but looking at it today, there are a lot of issues. I still prefer FFIX or even FFIV to it.

For X-2, I really didn't ever like it. I mean, it plays well, but I found it to be a fan-service game at the time and I still believe it.

Arthea

When you think about it, SE inspite their weirdness was good to us, if only Sega could follow this example

What perfect timing after all that cat people talk.

what has happened to your face? Is all that bullying leaving the mark?

I think I agree with you. When I played it...man, 15 years ago, I did it from a friend, since the PS2 was still too expensive for me. And going from PS1 graphics to PS2 ones, with TALKING characters was a blast.
But honestly, FFX is not so great. It's not bad, of course, there's ton of optional stuff to do, the soundtrack is great (Suteki Da Ne and several cutscenes are still amazing), but the game drags for too long, the plot is kinda confusing and, in the end, very dumb. The fight system is great, I liked the way you can build your character, but in the end, when all characters will lear everything, they all will be the same, excluding the fact Yuna can summon.

I think it's the case of a game which was great back in days for several factors, but looking at it today, there are a lot of issues. I still prefer FFIX or even FFIV to it.

For X-2, I really didn't ever like it. I mean, it plays well, but I found it to be a fan-service game at the time and I still believe it.

FFX is plenty great and FFX-2 is even greater in some regards, it's also only mission based FF game that can be played in short sessions, so there is that

Ludens

Banned
FFX is plenty great and FFX-2 is even greater in some regards, it's also only mission based FF game that can be played in short sessions, so there is that

The major issue for me is the game drags too long. It's VERY slow, even for a jrpg standard, in the beginning. When you also discover
the true being of Sin
, you will be kinda disappointed. After years I still need to figure out what
the hell Tidus is: a memory? Does he die in the initial cutscene after the blitzball match? Is he a phantom? Dunno.

Jawmuncher

CiFwMspXEAAwtYB

The 4 million is probably Resident Evil 7. No clue what the 2 million game could be. It's too early for DMC5. It might be whatever Capcom Vancouver is working on.

Kudo

CiFwMspXEAAwtYB

The 4 million is probably Resident Evil 7. No clue what the 2 million game could be. It's too early for DMC5. It might be whatever Capcom Vancouver is working on.

Could be Deep Down if they have big expectations for it. (and it still exists)

Arthea

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CiFwMspXEAAwtYB?format=jpg&name=large[/img

The 4 million is probably Resident Evil 7. No clue what the 2 million game could be. It's too early for DMC5. It might be whatever Capcom Vancouver is working on.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to think 4 mln is DMC5

[quote="Ludens, post: 203090032"]spoilers[/QUOTE]

Tha't personal, I wasn't disappointed and I prefer when story leaves to figure some things for us instead of overexplaining.

[quote="Jawmuncher, post: 203090812"]
Going overboard for what that series typically makes. 2 million is its usual range. DMC4 made 3 million however being the highest sold in the series.[/QUOTE]

yeah, I know, but wasn't that a nice thought?

Jawmuncher

Could be Deep Down if they have big expectations for it. (and it still exists)

If it still exists is the big question. If it does I do think they probably changed it up and dropped f2p

I'd like to think 4 mln is DMC5

Going overboard for what that series typically makes. 2 million is its usual range. DMC4 made 3 million however being the highest sold in the series.

Arthea

to buy Playlist Bundle 5 or not to buy? that is the question

and I have Elliot Quest already, before somebody asks

edited: Insane sounds kinda interesting, even if it looks kinda bad. Anybody played it?

What perfect timing after all that cat people talk.

Quoting from the Stellaris OT:

Oh man!!!!

I met this dick cat people next to me on one side. Above both of us were some really nice bird people.

Me and Cat People ended up as Rivals.. and they rivaled the Bird people.

So Bird People and I allied together. He declared war and we fucked Cat People's shit up.

But the cool part was part of the war demands was that the big planet had to be ceded to Bird People. So they took it. And we liberated the small colony of Cat People.

So the Alliance of Whatever-Dick-Cat people became a small colony of Nice-Cat-People-League and they joined our alliance. They took the govt, ethics, etc from my ally so we are all 3 friends now. Xenophiles unite!

Good kitties. Good kitties.

Ludens

Banned
Nice, started Day of the Tentacle Remastered and one item disappeared from my inventory, so I'm forced to restart the game in order to proceed.
Nice to see Double Fine did the usual job here.

ExoSoul

Banned
The major issue for me is the game drags too long. It's VERY slow, even for a jrpg standard, in the beginning. When you also discover
the true being of Sin
, you will be kinda disappointed. After years I still need to figure out what
the hell Tidus is: a memory? Does he die in the initial cutscene after the blitzball match? Is he a phantom? Dunno.

You already know the answer, you're not aware of the why but you know it.

I've been eyeing up The Flame in the Flood for a while and can see its got a small Steam sale. Does anyone recommend it? The team behind (BioShock, Halo, Guitar Hero and Rock Band) it are good but I'm always weary of Steam reviews.

Yeah, it's imo the most overrated FF, they had something special with the concept and the setting but poor pacing and writing, a terrible protagonist and very poor animation outside of battles which makes the real time cutscenes feel very awkward, kinda ruin it for me.
These were all things that already bothered me back on the PS2 but at the time the mindblowing visuals mitigated it.
A particular pet peeve of mine is how bad the npcs look compared to the main characters, it's even worse in the remasters. That, and the designs themselves are atrocious.
Amazing ost, great battle system and some pretty memorable moments (ending is one of my favorites ever) save it though.

fenners

I've been eyeing up The Flame in the Flood for a while and can see its got a small Steam sale. Does anyone recommend it? The team behind (BioShock, Halo, Guitar Hero and Rock Band) it are good but I'm always weary of Steam reviews.

I loved it. It's definitely in the style of Dont' Starve, but with a more driven narritive/structure - you are floating down a river after all; no back tracking.

I had this to say about it:

"The Flame In The Flood" came out on Steam this week, and it's worth a look at. You're a teenage girl, stuck at a campsite in the middle of nowhere after some sort of cataclysmic flood. You need to gather resources, craft items, generally "survive" (a la Don't Starve etc). The 'twist' is there's no central base to build up or return to. Instead, you're moving downriver on a raft, finding new locations that might provide respite, resources, or rascally enemies. So you're exploring an area, then moving on down river to the next one.

Expect death. Expect challenge. Expect gorgeous art & charm.

"Huck Finn as a survival game" is a good summary. Very tough, definitely a survival game like Don't Starve where you have rules to learn, limited resources to master, and a RNG to hope rolls your way. But it's wrapped up in ridiculously pretty artwork, an interesting premise of how you're constantly going down the river, so the raft's your 'base' to build up, not a settlement, and no going back to locations. And the soundtrack is gorgeously back-country Americana... This is a setting underused in games for sure.

I've heard it's a little buggy, going by reviews, but I haven't hit anything on the PC.

Did I mention it's hard? :) I've died from hypothermia & starvation so far, as well as lacerations from a wolf. Locations are procedurally generated, kind of like Sunless Sea, but with a definite story under-pinning the world.

I dig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom