• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed as more and more games from Japan get announced for PC you see less announced for Xbox. Not shocking I guess since those kinda games don't do so hot on but it's interesting to hear Phil promise they're coming but things look more dire for Japanese games on their system.

Wonder if MS is gonna attempt exclusives again like they did on the 360 (which worked out poorly for the Japanese devs.) I remember somebody suggesting MS should buy Falcom which would be awful.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
After fiddling to get a smooth running NOLF I came across this article on Kotaku.
Sad to see what would've been a great release on Steam getting held back because of copyright mess.

Yeah, it sucks we can't have NOLF anymore because of multiple ownership, didn't the second game end in a cliffhanger?

Grief.exe

After fiddling to get a smooth running NOLF I came across this article on Kotaku.

"We had managed to get a hold of the source code for the first game and the second game. We had already created a laundry list of updates and enhancements and bug-fixes that we wanted to do to the original titles," he said. "So, essentially what we would've ended up with was a definitive version of both of those games. We were about to commit a large chunk of development time in making sure that No One Lives Forever 1 & 2 were 100% compatible with Windows 8 64, Linux, OSX, had a full complement of Steam features, achievements, working multiplayer, dedicated servers… this is our baby, and we really wanted to give it every chance that we could, to make sure that people would play it again, and enjoy it to its fullest extent."

Kick told me that they'd "probably gotten overzealous" and had even created marketing materials for their re-release.

Sad to see what would've been a great release on Steam getting held back because of copyright mess.

Painful

NGL, that character creator in Sonic Forces interests me enough to pick it up in an Humble Bundle 2 years from now.

I would have loved that as a kid.

chronomac

Extra:
ModBot said:
Instructions for chronomac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Corporate Lifestyle Simulator -- MB-BC401096FDD7CAA5 - Taken by voodooray

Tizoc

Why does it aeem like the people who say 'psn has better sales/dscounts than steam' sound like people who gleefully substituted one backlog for another?

tuxfool

Banned

NOLF2 still runs with no (new) issues on windows 10. More than that the game still looks pretty OK today.

I used the moonlight app so I could stream games on to my phone. Works great but I hate the touch screen controller. Anyone got a controller to suggest?

Endruen

I used the moonlight app so I could stream games on to my phone. Works great but I hate the touch screen controller. Anyone got a controller to suggest?

I have a Mars Gaming Tacens Controller for emulators, mostly. The analogs aren't the best around, so I don't know if it would work for you. It's just 20$

mgp1.png

Tizoc

Some people are over reacting a bit in that thread. I'm curious to see how it's going to be implemented in the game.
I dont think itll affect it much, assuming they are sticking with how generations played it will be this that is the game's deciding factor

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Some people are over reacting a bit in that thread. I'm curious to see how it's going to be implemented in the game.

The problem with it is that it's Sega tacitly admitting it needs the weirdos who create Sonic the Hedgehog personas and supporting volumes of fanfic.

The next step is a VR Sonic poop eating simulator.

tuxfool

Banned

The xb1 controller works fine with android. Though you will need to update its firmware using the windows app as out of the factory the button layout is screwy on android.

Pachimari

I'm so close to just buying used disc copies of No One Lives Forever 2, Vietcong and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Can't remember if that NOLF expansion came out on a separate disc but it probably did.

Nyoro SF

XSEED/Marvelous USA update:

After the reveal of Cold Steel 1 and 2 for PC, app 427680 was updated for the first time in around a year. So it looks more and more like 427680 and 427700 are the Cold Steel games. However this means that titles 511680 and 538680 are still a mystery. It's likely that they're Senran Kagura PBS and Akiba's Beat.

Titles like Valkyrie Drive are published by Marvelous Europe and not XSEED, so updates and releases for it wouldn't happen under this sub. Looks like after this, we'll entirely be in the dark as for future PC plans. The video game publishing world is ever changing, and who knows what will be next?

SXaSlZv.png

The xb1 controller works fine with android. Though you will need to update its firmware using the windows app as out of the factory the button layout is screwy on android.
I only have a 360 controller. Plus, I wanna mostly use it to lay back and play games on my bed.

Got a bunch of LawBreakers beta codes to give out to ya SteamGAF. It starts on the 18th and the codes redeem on Steam.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Spiritreaver:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste. Your giveaway will be automatically reposted on your behalf.

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Spiritreaver, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

LawBreakers -- MB-E38F1C365C156B1C - Taken by KenOD. 1 entrants total.
LawBreakers #2 -- MB-9B30C67DB5451D4B - Taken by boybrushdRED. 1 entrants total.
LawBreakers #3 -- MB-0EDFEBBBD0F70BCD - Taken by Regginator. 3 entrants total.
LawBreakers #4 -- MB-8C934F8A582F28AF - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 6 entrants total.
LawBreakers #5 -- MB-C0A45765B5220018 - Taken by Abomination. 1 entrants total.

t1495042410z1.png

Tizoc

After the reveal of Cold Steel 1 and 2 for PC, app 427680 was updated for the first time in around a year. So it looks more and more like 427680 and 427700 are the Cold Steel games. However this means that titles 511680 and 538680 are still a mystery. It's likely that they're Senran Kagura PBS and Akiba's Beat.

Titles like Valkyrie Drive are published by Marvelous Europe and not XSEED, so updates and releases for it wouldn't happen under this sub. Looks like after this, we'll entirely be in the dark as for future PC plans. The video game publishing world is ever changing, and who knows what will be next?

SXaSlZv.png
Please be Brandish
Please be Brandish

KainXVIII

Pre-purchase for Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada is up. 10% off.
Looks like PS4 port
РЕКОМЕНДОВАННЫЕ:
ОС: Windows® 7, Windows® 8.1, Windows® 10 (64bit required)
Процессор: Core i7 2600
Оперативная память: 8 GB ОЗУ
Видеокарта: NVIDIA GeForce GTX980 (3840x2160) / GTX760 (1920x1080)
DirectX: Версии 11
Сеть: Широкополосное подключение к интернету
Место на диске: 27 GB
Звуковая карта: DirectX 9.0c over
Дополнительно: 1920x1080 pixel over, True Color, 4K compatible

madjoki

Changes to Trading Cards

Instead of starting to drop Trading Cards the moment they arrive on Steam, we're going to move to a system where games don't start to drop cards until the game has reached a confidence metric that makes it clear it's actually being bought and played by genuine users. Once a game reaches that metric, cards will drop to all users, including all the users who've played the game prior to that point. So going forward, even if you play a game before it has Trading Cards, you'll receive cards for your playtime when the developer adds cards and reaches the confidence metric.

Tonton

SXaSlZv.png
Surprised 427680 was updated, i thought it was abandoned truth be told
With the timing of the update right after 3rd's launch I wonder if it isn't another Sara handled game like the Falcom PC games or Corpse Party (so, not a console port but something already on PC)

I wonder if Aquire is wanting to port Akiba's Beat to PC after how hard it bombed in Japan, I imagine they'd want to wait for numbers on the western console release before committing to a port

Hope Fate/Extella is one of those and Zwei II another one

Please be Brandish
Please be Brandish
Really doubt it, they'd probably prioritize Ys SEVEN and Celceta before Brandish if they were to finance other Falcom ports other than the Cold Steel games
And I imagine we won't see any before Cold Steel 2

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Rhaknar, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

They Bleed Pixels -- MB-25906BAF56307AA5 - Taken by Kurt Russell

this is a videogame

data

Is this retroactive or will it only be applicable to games releasing from today onwards?

I'm guessing games will only drop cards after a certain amount of users have unlocked a certain amount of achievements, left reviews and playtime etc. If not that then I have no idea which data they'll be pulling from. I wish they weren't changing the trading card system though.

Wouldn't it be better if this confidence stuff only applied to new games from new devs, and that games by devs who've proven to be legit don't need that stuff attached to their games?

Endruen

So no idling anymore?

I dont really understand it. So the dev can say "Now they drop after 5 hours playing"?

Technically, you still can idle them, they won't drop cards until a month or so after release I believe.
It's not up to the devs, it's up to the playerbase. If it's a legit game and not an asset flip made just for the cards, it will eventually drop.

prudislav

After the release of Trading Cards, the number of players interested in them grew significantly, until it reached the point where the demand for cards became significant enough that there was an economic opportunity worth taking advantage of. And that's when our group of bad actors arrived, aiming to make money by releasing 'fake' games on Steam.

These fake developers take advantage of a feature we provide to all developers on Steam, which is the ability to generate Steam keys for their games. They generate many thousands of these keys and hand them out to bots running Steam accounts, which then idle away in their games to collect Trading Cards. Even if no real players ever see or buy one of these fake games, their developers make money by farming cards.
good point

Windows 10 updated to Creators update and already messed with my video card driver.

I dont think itll affect it much, assuming they are sticking with how generations played it will be this that is the game's deciding factor

Let's hope for it to follow the Generations formula.

The problem with it is that it's Sega tacitly admitting it needs the weirdos who create Sonic the Hedgehog personas and supporting volumes of fanfic.

The next step is a VR Sonic poop eating simulator.

Depply inside we are all weirdos.

Anno

So no idling anymore?

I dont really understand it. So the dev can say "Now they drop after 5 hours playing"?

No it's more like the game will drop cards once some algorithm that Valve puts in place determines the game is being purchased and played by real people instead of card idling bots. For even kinda big games i guess its possible that nothing changes at all.

sadblob

So no idling anymore?

Doesn't depend on the devs, Valve will implement that "confidence meter" and will decide if a game is genuine enough to allow the card drops. The devs can make the cards, but they won't get anything unless the game is "legit".

Idling will be the same I assume, except that obvious shit games produced to profit from the cards won't be allowed drops, and now we'll have to wait some time before getting drops from normal games.

Hektor

So no idling anymore?

As i understand

That confidence metric is a system by valve to check wether a game is sold genuine and not only for cards, so idling is still possible but cards will only drop once cards for the game were greenlit

As i understand

That confidence metric is a system by valve to check wether a game is sold genuine and not only for cards, so idling is still possible but cards will only drop once cards for the game were greenlit

I see. That sounds though that "bundle trash" games wont drop cards now.

data

I see. That sounds though that "bundle trash" games wont drop cards now.

If that happens sites like Indiegala and Groupees will die. rip

or in the best case scenario, bring some more competition to humble bundle

speaking of humble, owlboy is in a bundle! 13$

Tizoc

Surprised 427680 was updated, i thought it was abandoned truth be told
With the timing of the update right after 3rd's launch I wonder if it isn't another Sara handled game like the Falcom PC games or Corpse Party (so, not a console port but something already on PC)

I wonder if Aquire is wanting to port Akiba's Beat to PC after how hard it bombed in Japan, I imagine they'd want to wait for numbers on the western console release before committing to a port

Hope Fate/Extella is one of those and Zwei II another one

Really doubt it, they'd probably prioritize Ys SEVEN and Celceta before Brandish if they were to finance other Falcom ports other than the Cold Steel games
And I imagine we won't see any before Cold Steel 2
id be fine with thosr too,
But let me dream mang
Let me dream of brandsh on ateam and gog..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom