• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeoRaider

In other news Bethesda stopped indie "Prey for the Gods" developers from using "Prey" in their title. And game is now titled: "Praey for the Gods".

Wha!? Why are you now PRAEY for the Gods!?
Oh yea that...so we didn't want to do this but we had to change our game name from Prey for the Gods to Praey for the Gods. Thankfully we get to keep the logo but we will spell it ”Praey for the Gods". Honestly, we could make this entire newsletter about our thoughts on this. Trademark law is what we were dealing with and we aren't under any NDA so we can state the opposition in this situation, Bethesda/Zenimax.

We could've fought this and we did think about it for quite a while. Something like a trademark opposition can be long and depending on how far someone wants to fight it can be very expensive. We didn't want to spend our precious Kickstarter funds, nor did we want to have to ask for additional funds to fight this in court. Using backer money towards something that doesn't go towards the development or backer rewards felt horrible to us. Even if we did win we'd have to spend a solid chunk of our funds and in our opinion it wasn't worth it.

The truth is we initially thought about naming the game Præy for the Gods prior to our initial trailer. The logo has both the woman praying against the duality of prey, and thankfully we get to continue to use that. We figured people would have a hard time trying to type in the æ symbol in search engines etc. This was back in 2015 when we posted a trailer on Facebook and Twitter with had no idea if 100 or even 1000 people would watch the trailer. We were applying for both Prey for the Gods, and Præy for the Gods trademarks shortly after as we realized the extent of what we were making. Unfortunately, Zenimax chose to oppose our mark, as they felt both were too similar to their mark ”Prey" which they purchased from Id Software, in 2009. While we disagree with their opposition we were able to come to an agreement.

It was something that kept me up many nights, and no doubt shifted our focus from our game frequently. Worrying about the outcome if we went to trial, if we'd lose our fans or walk away from the mark and still potentially get sued for millions on trademark infringement. This is really something no starting company should have to deal with let alone a tiny team of 3. So the fact that we came out the other end intact still developing the game was a win. One that will no doubt shape our company moving forward.

https://www.praeyforthegods.com/praey-for-the-gods-newsletter-8/

Disgusting.

Hektor

In other news Bethesda stopped indie "Prey for the Gods" developers from using "Prey" in their title. And game is now titled: "Praey for the Gods".

Disgusting.

I thought you fell for a dumb joke but google tells me this is real? This is beyond stupid, but i can understand their (The indievs) reasoning

Wok

https://redd.it/68xv0d
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=6088-UDXM-7214#restrictions

Interesting.

Steam limit raised to $1800 USD to counter lootmarket and other online sellers. Dota 2 items on top for now. I would assume CSGO and others will soon follow

Crazy items being listed

Good. Time to sell some good stuff.

Kidding, I only ever had at best an item worth $300. Initially, it was $200. Then the price crashed, so I sold it for $60. Two years later, it was worth $300 again.

45 hours into TLR and I just realized you can cheese the bonus stats system. You just exit to the world map and re-enter the area over and over, and eventually you'll get the red text bubble (seems to take around 5 times each). Repeat until they become chummy with you and get the bonus stats.

I'm really getting the hang of the battle system now. It's really fun for a turn-based system. This game has so much potential, it's a shame the devs made some incomprehensibly stupid design choices that hold it back from being a classic.

Mivey

Darksiders 3 trailer has got me wanting to pick up DS 2 for cheap. Is the Deathinitive edition still broken on PC?
Never had any trouble running it. I found the game a bit boring initially and just put it back in my backlog. I guess now that DS3 is coming I will have to go back to it at some point. DS2 just feels overdesigned. Should have kept it simpler.

45 hours into TLR and I just realized you can cheese the bonus stats system. You just exit to the world map and re-enter the area over and over, and eventually you'll get the red text bubble (seems to take around 5 times each). Repeat until they become chummy with you and get the bonus stats.

I'm really getting the hang of the battle system now. It's really fun for a turn-based system. This game has so much potential, it's a shame the devs made some incomprehensibly stupid design choices that hold it back from being a classic.

But turn-based systems are the best...

Though I kind of agree, TLR taking off as a classic would've been nice. It has some of the best battle presentation in the biz; I think only Persona 5 has dethroned it. Like, it's turn-based combat that absolutely does not look it, and that's great.

I just finished Lego City Undercover and it turned out to be a surprisingly charming game. Full of amusing pop culture references, parodies and with the kind of silly humor that makes you shake your head at first but then smile anyway. Just a really fun experience. There were quite a few instances where I was surprised with what they managed to pull off in the game. The open world is filled with tons of content and collectibles, which is a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. I stuck with the main story for the most part and ended with less than 25% completion in just under 15 hours. So, 75% of the game is outside the critical path.

Bit of a shame how it kind of bombed on Steam. Maybe people are tired of Lego games but this was the first one that kept me interested enough to finish it. Worth checking out for sure.

Volimar

This came up with the Scrolls debacle. Something about Bethesda having to enforce their trademark because if they don't it weakens them when people actually try to steal their stuff? Maybe that's just an excuse, but I doubt Bethesda or any large company would willingly sit through the bad PR that would come from suing smaller companies for ridiculous infringement reasons if there wasn't some truth to it. But then again, I know nothing about trademark law, so...

gngf123

Damn!

yhykOPv.png

But turn-based systems are the best...

Though I kind of agree, TLR taking off as a classic would've been nice. It has some of the best battle presentation in the biz; I think only Persona 5 has dethroned it. Like, it's turn-based combat that absolutely does not look it, and that's great.

Action-RPGs like Dark Souls 3, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Dragon's Dogma are definitely my favorite, and I don't see that changing. But I'll admit this game has given me a more open mind about playing turn-based RPGs in the future. (I've played turn-based games in the past, but only on handheld/mobile.) Unfortunately I see the Persona series in Playstation exclusive, so I won't be able to play P5.

Durante

It seems that all I have to do is learn to be a computer programming genius and I'd become you. Interesting. I'd recommend you pick up the Imperial Radch trilogy by Ann Leckie, if you don't already have them.
The Imperial Radch trilogy is in fact the best science fiction I read recently, thoroughly enjoyed that (I think it was late 2016). Any other suggestions?

This interview on Phantom Dust release is very interesting if you're interested in the process of game development.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imfEL1N12CA

Holy shit! I was under the impression that this was dead as, uh, dead stuff. Please let it come to Steam so it has a chance at a wider audience and a bigger playerbase.

I played the living hell out of it but the game was always super niche. I would see the same names and got to know the people I was playing against. What time of decks to expect (those erase ones, ugh, so fun to play but so not fun to play against.)

Things that stick out:

+ It's not a successor the way it was originally announced
+ It uses the original assets as much as possible, which were always really great looking
+ They have enough code to be able to change values, suggesting future balancing (the game was super balanced out of the gate, but there were maybe 1 or 2 skills that were too popular for their own good)
+ Coming out SOON

- They "aren't sure" if they'll be able to add maps in the future
- They talked about "accelerants" to unlock skills that could be picked up with real money... one of the main draws that kept you coming back to the game were the rare, hard as all hell to find skills, and the investment it took to get the skills to make the deck you wanted to make
- Continuing the above, there was a hardcore mode where you would play against people but "bet" your skills. So, if you lost and it randomly took that lynch-pin skill you needed for your deck to work to give to the winner, you were fucked. This could let you throw down coin for that
- Coming out "SOON"

And before I hop off of my fanboy soap box here, if you aren't at all interested in multiplayer, you should probably still play this game. The singleplayer experience is everything that you love about the Souls games: it's hard as nails, but always fair; the story is bleak, foreboding and withholding, filled to bursting with all that it just won't tell you; the cast is frequently strange but weirdly endearing, almost unsettlingly so.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Uh, I hope Bethesda remembers to add the missing data depots to Prey's pre-order store sub before the game unlocks here. It seems 11 are absent in total, so I'd guess that there's one for each of the 10 languages that the game supports and another for the executable (see: Dishonored 2, Skyrim SE, and so on), the latter of which is kind of important.

Edit: I've PM'd gstaff.

Sheesh, I convinced myself I didn't want the Star Wars bundle at $14, and now to know it was a price mistake makes me regret. I only wanted the Legos and the Unleashed(s), and Shadows of the Empire but that wasn't included anyway.

Yeah, I'm fine. Fine.

Sheesh, I convinced myself I didn't want the Star Wars bundle at $14, and now to know it was a price mistake makes me regret. I only wanted the Legos and the Unleashed(s), and Shadows of the Empire but that wasn't included anyway.

Yeah, I'm fine. Fine.

damn happened to me to. first with Age of Wonders 3 complete and now this.

oh well...

zkylon

zkylewd

Disgusting.
trademark law is such bullshit lol

Arkane: No Prey PC demo because Steam refund policy exists

tl;dr version of Arkane's reasoning: Steam refund is a demo!!1!
wtf

i mean, in this day and age i feel like demos for big games like this are kind of crazy cos you gotta download like 40 gigs worth of game, but still, their reply is so fucking bad lol

Durante

Animu waifu next to Pillars of Eternity.
I actually took a second picture to get her in the frame because I knew it would get a reaction out of someone :p
I don't even like Asuka, I won the figurine in a crane game when I was in Japan. I mean, you have to try crane games right?

Edit:
But let's get back to book suggestions. So far, everything that was suggested was something I absolutely loved, with the only problem being that I already read all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom