• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
notsohumblenowdwcda.gif

I'm fucking dying for Dragon Quest Builders to appear on Steam out of the blue some day.

Its a really flawed game. It has hints of greatness but then they made a few very Japanese design choices that hurt it so bad.Not to say the Japanese game mechanics are bad, they just don't mesh with a free form crafting and building.

I hope they adjust course for DQB2 and that is the one i want for the pc.

Arminsc

So, with the reviews of Prey telling not only it perfoms well, but also that it's a good game, and having the little self-control I have, I just purchased it, even though I still have to finish Nier and Bayo.
Too many good-ass games and not enough time!

Pachimari

Its a really flawed game. It has hints of greatness but then they made a few very Japanese design choices that hurt it so bad.Not to say the Japanese game mechanics are bad, they just don't mesh with a free form crafting and building.

I hope they adjust course for DQB2 and that is the one i want for the pc.
What Japanese game mechanics are feeling so flawed to you?

The demo was a pure delight.

Kudo

Im over waiting for games to hit PC. It's better for me to think they'll never show up on PC so I'll never end up being dissapointed.

Same, just not worth it, if I want to play something I'll just do so.
Lack of time is my biggest enemy so waiting a year for possible port is just not something I can afford.

WoFF was fun though, quirky cast and decent story, but worst random encounter combat of all-time. The game is self-aware of this though and offers you Fast Forward in combat.

Probably a stupid question but is there anyway to cancel Humble Monthly once they charge you but before the bundle has come out and I havent revealed the 2 keys yet. It auto charged but i was going to put on hold for a month.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I downloaded the WoFF demo on PS4 ages ago and haven't touched it.

I've got one better - I bought it on PS4 and started playing it and pretty quickly lost interest. Then I thought "oh well I should get the Vita version so I can play it handheld and it has cross-save" so I got that too. Played a grand total of about 10 hours before finally giving up.

I like the game and most of the mechanics, but the story and voice acting are both cringe-worthy and the battles are far, far too slow and repetitive.

Probably a stupid question but is there anyway to cancel Humble Monthly once they charge you but before the bundle has come out and I havent revealed the 2 keys yet. It auto charged but i was going to put on hold for a month.

That happened to me once, I quit the bundle, received a conformation of quitting but I was still charged a week out. I made sure not to reveal the keys and just emailed support, they refunded me. This was back when their quit/put on hold system was pretty wonky.

Kudo

I've got one better - I bought it on PS4 and started playing it and pretty quickly lost interest. Then I thought "oh well I should get the Vita version so I can play it handheld and it has cross-save" so I got that too. Played a grand total of about 10 hours before finally giving up.

I like the game and most of the mechanics, but the story and voice acting are both cringe-worthy and the battles are far, far too slow and repetitive.

Did you try both voices? I find the JPN voices alright, I guess Tama is little annoying though.
And yeah, the battles..

fantomena

Lack of time is my biggest enemy so waiting a year for possible port is just not something I can afford.

Same thing here. Money isn't the problem, it's the lack of time. I don't have time to wait. Not only that, but I often forget to buy games that are on sale because I don't even have time to buy them. There's so many times Ive put a game in the Steam cart and totally forgot about it.

Arthea

are you trying to kill my interest in it?
how repetitive we are talking? FF12/Xenoblade level of repetitive or merely FF3/4 level of repetitive?
and I thought it's opposite of slow, but then again I haven't played it yet, just from what I've read, seen, etc.

That happened to me once, I quit the bundle, received a conformation of quitting but I was still charged a week out. I made sure not to reveal the keys and just emailed support, they refunded me. This was back when their quit/put on hold system was pretty wonky.

Yea I may just keep it at this point. I have no interest in Dirt but maybe I can sell in BST for $5 or something. Oh well, its only $12..($17 Canadian!)

Kudo

Same thing here. Money isn't the problem, it's the lack of time. I don't have time to wait. Not only that, but I often forget to buy games that are on sale because I don't even have time to buy them. There's so many times Ive put a game in the Steam cart and totally forgot about it.

Know that feeling, if only one could make more time.
Steam wishlist is nice though as it emails you when game goes in sale.

how repetitive we are talking? FF12/Xenoblade level of repetitive or merely FF3/4 level of repetitive?
and I thought it's opposite of slow, but then again I haven't played it yet, just from what I've read, seen, etc.

Not asking me but my experience was I have the Fast Forward always on after first few hours, I'd say worse than FF12 to me.
Combination of easy, slow and encounter rate ramped to max is not fun.

I think you are supposed to use anime here for that.

"It's not that I want to eat this lolli. B-baka."

Speaking of Prey (2017) will success possibly bring a chance for a re-release of Prey (2006) or has that ship sailed?

Speaking of anime, does anyone else have moderate-to-severe diarrhea this morning?

Arthea

Not asking me but my experience was I have the Fast Forward always on after first few hours, I'd say worse than FF12 to me.
Combination of easy, slow and encounter rate ramped to max is not fun.

eh, it depends, FF3 and FF4 have quite bad encounter rate at parts, and in Phantasy Star you can't move a finger without getting into the random battle, not to forget that people can't play Suikoden 4 because of how brutal encounter rate is, and I finished all those games and not once.

Well, I finished FF12 and Xenoblade too, but I was teetering on the brink of dropping them most of the time lol.

I still want WoFF released, so I can play and see for myself, SE pls.

I'd put FF12 first.

Fuck Dragon Quest in particular.

I thought you were cool...
why you hate DQ so

Even DQ5 ? :(

that's the wrong question, most forgiving and fun DQ is still 8, no matter what Japan says

Grief.exe

I refunded fairly recently after I forget to cancel and it was a painless process.

eh, it depends, FF3 and FF4 have quite bad encounter rate at parts, and in Phantasy Star you can't move a finger without getting into the random battle, not to forget that people can't play Suikoden 4 because of how brutal encounter rate is, and I finished all those games and not once.

Well, I finished FF12 and Xenoblade too, but I was teetering on the brink of dropping them most of the time lol.

I still want WoFF released, so I can play and see for myself, SE pls.

why you hate DQ so

that's the wrong question, most forgiving and fun DQ is still 8, no matter what Japan says

Nah, DQ5 is, thanks to faster battles, more interesting cast and story and monster recruits.

So I'm trying to download Prey and noticed Steam was downloading at around half my usual speed. I checked my download settings and it had auto detected my location as China. I live in Canada so I changed it. Should I be worried?

Arthea

Nah, DQ5 is, thanks to faster battles, more interesting cast and story and monster recruits.

I respectfully disagree, I like the world of DQ8 more than any other DQ and exploration is such a pleasure there, no other game in series comes close, but also I don't care much about DQ stories, in any of DQ games.

Faster battles? I don't remember them being faster.
edited: slow battles is like DQ trademark

Durante

why you hate DQ so
I strongly dislike the art style, rarely find the characters and stories worth following, and I think the battle systems are generally not sufficiently interesting/tactical to remotely justify the number of battles fought in the games.

DQ8 is particularly guilty of all of those, and adds gruelingly slow battle execution :p

edited: slow battles is like DQ trademark
Exactly.
Lots of slow battles which basically have you executing a very simplistic script. Manually. Again and again.

Not my thing.

Knurek

Exactly.
Lots of slow battles which basically have you executing a very simplistic script. Manually. Again and again.

Not my thing.

While I don't disagree with you on your remarks, you're not supposed to control every DQ battle. That's what the AI scripts are for.
My playthroughs generally have manual control only for boss battles, plus some unforeseen accidents during thrash mobs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'm sure there are some Youtube videos so you can see for yourself, but when I say repetitive battles I don't necessarily mean that there are tons of the same types of encounters but more in the sense that the battles themselves are nothing but "wait for my turn, use the same attack, hopefully kill bad guy before he kills you". This is exacerbated by the fact that the battles move so slowly, that even holding down the fast forward button (there is no "auto fast forward" option that I've found) makes the battles too slow to be interesting.

For example, here is a video I found that kinda shows this. Even the video creator here gets fed up with the "nothing happening" aspect of the battle to occasionally use the fast forward button to speed things along. At first it's just like "whatever, I can get used to this" but after a few hours it becomes absolutely maddening. Thankfully there aren't an overabundance of actual encounters, but most dungeons I played get old really quick and every time a battle started I sighed an soldiered on.

Phawx

Hombles Munthly today fellerinos!

I am not expecting much this month other than some pretty decent indies.

Only a minute in, but they're totally introducing co-op in this one, aren't they? The environments are all huuuuuuge, way too big for one person.
What? I was just playing Darksiders Remastered a few weeks ago and there are some pretty huge and open areas and nothing there looked out of line from the series.

jshackles

Why three bosoms. That would make the title of the game Tycooon.

It's the Total Recall game we've all be waiting for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom