• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

So Square Enix Europe have killed Hitman, Deus Ex and Classic Tomb Raider. Thief as well I suppose.

This makes me sad.

Ascheroth

and square enix is such a notoriously well run company why would they do this
Relevant (amusingly this is from the Prey UK sales thread)
Tomb Raider is also a series that is clearly out of sync with the market, so we're going to have a bad UK sales thread about Shadow of the Tomb Raider as well, but basically these were decisions made ages ago.

When Matsuda took over as CEO, he had basically every Square Enix new IP canceled in favor of existing titles. This caused IO interactive to lose half its staff, Crystal Dynamics to lose their new IP, and Eidos Montreal to lose their new IP and go into a variety of turmoil as they had to quickly get staff on a new project (which became Tomb Raider, along with canceling Obsidian's Deus Ex game and taking Deus Ex entirely in house).

These days Matsuda changed his mind as Square Enix's existing IPs all started facing significant sales headwinds, so now they're all on new IPs, whether they be based on licenses (see Marvel), or actually new (which is what Tabata's team of Final Fantasy 15 fame is supposed to be doing).

Which part of the dart board Matsuda will hit tomorrow is currently unclear, so for now, their focus will be on new IPs and Japanese eSports for new initiatives.

zkylon

zkylewd
interesting that hitman sales weren't that hot

i bet the business model had a lot to do with it, there was probably a lot of people like me that just bought it when the season was over, or that outright get turned off by how it worked

Deques

I don't even know who would pick up IO Interactive, and I guess Square Enix would keep the Hitman IP which sucks.

My guess is that THQ Nordic would do business with IO. THQ Nordic might try to buy the rights for Hitman from Square Enix, if squeenix owns them

Deques

Nrdm8PU.png

Vanquish for €13.49 at Humble Store if you have a Monthly subscriber. Bayonetta doesn't need to be added it seems

I just took a look into the Steam controller configuration for Xbox 360 pad. SHIIIIIIT. I didn't knew it became so extensive. Stick deadzones, rapid fire, entire remapping, even trigger sensitivity oO

kurahador

So if i really loved Binary Domain i will like Vanquish too? Right? Right??

Binary Domain has good story and unique boss fights. Vanquish story is shit and the only good thing about the boss fights really is the finisher or sudden action move that happen at random.

Uzzy

Basically all their western IP's.

Sleeping Dogs too. New Raider is still alive for now, though that xbone exclusivity deal certainly didn't help.

I suppose it makes sense for Squeenix to focus on Marvel games now that they have that licence, as that should just print money for them. But I'm still sad about the fate of all those great games.

oipic

IO got it right with Hitman, this is a shame. For some (mistaken?) reason I had the impression that sales were OK, but development costs might've been disproportionate, perhaps (or as a product it really just doesn't fit Square Enix's current business model - what they heck are they up to?).

Kaleinc

Banned
I don't know about Hitman but TR reboot in 2013 was the best thing that happened to the franchise and arguably the first decent tom braider.

Hektor

I don't know about Hitman but TR reboot in 2013 was the best thing that happened to the franchise and arguably the first decent tom braider.

nwyTMLm_d.jpg

Sleeping Dogs too. New Raider is still alive for now, though that xbone exclusivity deal certainly didn't help.

I suppose it makes sense for Squeenix to focus on Marvel games now that they have that licence, as that should just print money for them. But I'm still sad about the fate of all those great games.

They won't be able make a lot of marvel games if they lose all their studios.

IO and United front could've easily delivered something good on that front.

it was really boring to me, and specially so when you put it next to vanquish

Most TPS are boring compared to vanquish. Bo's domain might not be the most original game but it does an extremely good job at making shooting things feel satisfying. Something uncharted hasn't nailed to this very day.

It also got amazing boss fights and Cain

Tomb Raider '13 was one of the best third person shooters in years for me. I don't really care about the franchise in general so I guess me liking it shows that it's a bad Tomb Raider game -- but regardless, the game had some fantastic combat. It's also better than Vanquish.

Rise was good fun as well and I liked its alternate modes (I should really get around to playing the DLC), but I dearly miss the rope arrow being a combat tool as they reworked it to be environment contextual only.

zkylon

zkylewd
tbh i think all cover shooters are boring

only ones i like like the last of us or spec ops the line or brothers in arms hell's highway or idk kane and lynch are mostly enjoyable for like story reasons

the whole hiding behind cover for health to recharge while you shoot humanoid enemies is really tedious to me, gets old after an hour and from them on you're relying on something else to carry you

something like dead state i enjoy a lot more cos it feels like it has other interesting elements like ammo conservation and precision aiming and shit, or vanquish cos it's a crazy anime action thing

so yeah i wouldn't say binary domain is more boring than like gears of war or something, and i kinda enjoy binary domain because of the goofy story but i don't think it's a very good game

Pachimari

I agree. I've played all of the Tomb Raider games, and loved the Core Design and Crystal Dynamics installments, but Tomb Raider 2013 was truly and addicting and wonderful revelation. It's one of the very few games I couldn't let go and had to complete in one sitting. Phenomenal game.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
It's free if you've already paid for it.

You know, the old expression: free as in PlayStation Plus, not free as in beer.

Kaleinc

Banned

BasilZero

Might not be steam related.

But its PC gaming :p

44 hours into Mass Effect 3. Just finished Priority Thessia.

Got one piece of DLC left, the Citadel DLC, guess I'll do it after the next mission.

Enjoying the game so far but I still find ME2 the much better ME game.

kiyomi

Cross-posting from the Bayonetta thread as it seems dead to me.

I had that weird cutscene bug even when I turned it down to 1080p. I ended up downsampling from 1440p and accepting the bug as a uh.. stylistic choice.

IO got it right with Hitman, this is a shame. For some (mistaken?) reason I had the impression that sales were OK, but development costs might've been disproportionate, perhaps (or as a product it really just doesn't fit Square Enix's current business model - what they heck are they up to?).

I think Hitman 2016 shows that so many of us live in little bubbles where our perception of a games success != actual success. Like it's really weird to me that people are using the episodic model as a reason for them not buying the game, when for me, it was one of the chief reasons I enjoyed the game so much and felt it stayed in the gaming consciousness for months on end.

Pachael

And Just Cause. 3 had little of what 2 great fun, overall design eg skills was worse (sans wingpack) and felt unoptimised on PC with the always online 'search'. Still enjoyed it but I didn't think it went well critically or commercially.

Corpekata

Banned
Hearing Kenshi review codes are going out or already have.

Kenshi! I figured that game was never going to be finished. Probably the first Early Accessish game I ever owned.

MaxiLive

nah, many thanks for offering but that's ok

would like some <15$ game suggestions so i can buy something fun to play right away

I heard of this fun F2P multiplayer game called League of Legends. You might want to check that out!

If you are looking for something pick up and play maybe one of the Shantae games if you haven't already played them? Or Stardew Valley if you want something super chilled and perfect time killer between those league queues.

Tizoc

nwyTMLm_d.jpg

They won't be able make a lot of marvel games if they lose all their studios.

IO and United front could've easily delivered something good on that front.

Most TPS are boring compared to vanquish. Bo's domain might not be the most original game but it does an extremely good job at making shooting things feel satisfying. Something uncharted hasn't nailed to this very day.

It also got amazing boss fights and Cain
Shooting in Uncharted is good, the overall game tho is mediocre at best
Binary domain and vanquish approach tps differently so comparind the two is rather

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How long until Hitman is removed from the Steam store?

Generally speaking, a game changing hands doesn't affect its Steam availability as Valve pays out the month after a transaction and any revenue earmarked for Squeenix that should go to the new publisher can be adjusted accordingly. I think this is true of Microsoft, too, while Sony pays out quarterly.

def sim

I was fully expecting a season 2 announcement for Hitman. What a disappointment.

I hope the folks at IO pull through and find a home that fits. Preferably one that is willing to buy the Hitman IP, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom