• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

I have plenty of games on my backlog, and I'm on a quest trying to give more attention to it, since most of them are just thrown there for years without being noticed.

That said, I'd like a suggestion of which would you people recommend the most, about some of them:

- Alan Wake (played a bit in the past, but actually found it a bit too difficult)
- Bastion
- FEZ
- Legend of Grimrock
- Torchlight
- Vessel
- Rochard

Also, there are a bunch of indie games I got in bundles that I ended up not interested. Is one of these actually something some of you believe I definitely should give a try?

- FTL
- Gratuitious Space Battles
- Offspring Fling
- Snapshot
- Shatter
- Superfrog HD
- A Virus Named Tom
- Wizorb
- Space Pirates and Zombies

Of the ones that I've played:

I'm apparently a bit of an outlier, because I really didn't think much of Bastion. Sure, it has great art and music, and the narration gimmick is captivating enough, but I just didn't care much for the game itself. That said, there's still plenty of memorable moments to be found, especially towards the end.

I really wanted to like FEZ, but it never really did anything interesting with the central mechanic. The whole level rotation thing seems neat at first, but eventually you just get to a point where you can't get any further, rotate the level until you can get where you want, and repeat. To be fair, I never did 100% it. I got the ending, and there were a few more cubes that I still had to collect but got bored before I could figure out how to actually get to them.

Torchlight is ok. I never played Diablo or any of the other similar games, so I don't know how it compares. It's mindless fun, and I beat it with two of the three characters, but after a while it just got repetitive.

I really wanted to like Vessel, since I always love messing around with fluid physics in games, but I found a lot of the puzzles to be too finicky, especially towards the end. There were too many times where I was actually doing the solution "correctly", but the fluid physics just weren't cooperating.

Rochard is a somewhat decent basic platformer. I beat it, but don't remember a single thing about it. I've heard good things about the DLC, though.

FTL is amazing, and one of my top-played games on Steam (4th place, with 140 hours). As others have said, it's a bit daunting at first, but that's part of the charm. Your first few runs, you're going to get completely overwhelmed as your ship literally goes down in flames, but you'll get better every run. Just don't be ashamed to play the game on "Easy". FTL's Easy is the equivalent to Normal in other games.

Like Fez, Offspring Fling is a game with a cute concept that never really does anything interesting with it. It's a super short game, but none of the levels ever get all that difficult. I kept waiting for the game to do interesting things with its core concept, but it never happened.

Shatter's a great one, if you like Breakout-style games. Awesome soundtrack, and the physics-based nature of the blocks throws some interesting curveballs on the standard ball-and-paddle formula.

Corpekata

Banned
I'd play Bastion out of that list. Good and short, gives you an early checkmark on your progress.

I'd probably dump Vessel from the list entirely. I don't think I've ever seen anyone really like that game. Not that it was hated, but next to nobody has any passion for it. Somewhat similar for Rochard, though people do like its lead character and different tone.

I'd also probably just move on from Torchlight to the sequel.

FTL is one of the GOAT. Space Pirates and Zombies is getting a sequel that'll cover much of the same ground so I'd not prioritize it.

Jawmuncher

Payday 2 is getting an ultimate edition (which will include all the DLC) soon. It'll cost $45 with an upgrade path for existing customers.

All the individual DLCs are currently 85% off and will be removed from Steam when the ultimate edition becomes available, so if anyone wants to buy them for collection or whatever...

The only DLC that will be available separately is the Ethan and Hila Character Pack. The subsequent revenue from the Ethan and Hila Character Pack is going straight to Ethan and Hila. We are doing this because we appreciate them and wanted to find a way to help them out financially so they can continue to do what they do best.

Deques

Payday 2 is getting an ultimate edition (which will include all the DLC) soon. It'll cost $45 with an upgrade path for existing customers.

All the individual DLCs are currently 85% off and will be removed from Steam when the ultimate edition becomes available, so if anyone wants to buy them for collection or whatever...

You misunderstood the upgrade cost.

The full game will cost 45 dollars. The cost to upgrade to the full game depends on what you already have

How much will it cost to upgrade my PAYDAY 2 game to the Ultimate Edition if I haven't bought all DLC before June 8th?
That differs, depending on how many DLCs you already own

How much will PAYDAY 2: Ultimate Edition cost?
PAYDAY 2: Ultimate Edition will cost $45. At launch, it will be offered at a 10% discount for a limited time.

This is the best time to buy the remaining dlcs. There is no info on how much the upgrade will cost

Isn't that what he said?

WOOOOPS!! I misread again >.<

tumblr_inline_ncuo997fml1rptadn.gif

Kudo

Just finished Prey for good and I must say it is very interesting game, but like many games lately difficulty was very badly designed and weapon variety is abysmal at best.
But exploration and atmosphere really show how strong game can be with flaws and for fans of the Bioshock and System Shock it's definitely worth a try.
It's not too long either so it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Now back to slog through P5, maybe I'll finish it this year.

Ladekabel

The only DLC that will be available separately is the Ethan and Hila Character Pack. The subsequent revenue from the Ethan and Hila Character Pack is going straight to Ethan and Hila. We are doing this because we appreciate them and wanted to find a way to help them out financially so they can continue to do what they do best.

Aren't/weren't they JonTron supporters?

Nabs

I don't even have the appropriate gif for this bullshit.

Grief.exe

I'd play Bastion out of that list. Good and short, gives you an early checkmark on your progress.

I'd probably dump Vessel from the list entirely. I don't think I've ever seen anyone really like that game. Not that it was hated, but next to nobody has any passion for it. Somewhat similar for Rochard, though people do like its lead character and different tone.

I'd also probably just move on from Torchlight to the sequel.

FTL is one of the GOAT. Space Pirates and Zombies is getting a sequel that'll cover much of the same ground so I'd not prioritize it.

What I played of Space Pirates seemed to be more of a proof of concept and the sequel seems to focus on fleshing out the systems surrounding the gameplay.

Corpekata

Banned
I look forward to funneling money toward Ethan so he can do another failed takedown of the wallstreet journal that he has to bury within like an hour of posting.

Jawmuncher

I wonder the future for Hitman...

Kane & Lynch: The Hitman

Choose your campaign. Play as Kane & Lynch in a Third Person action shooter as you try and get away from Agent 47.

Play as Agent 47 who is after Kane and Lynch and must kill other targets along the way in the traditional hitman style.

Kssio_Aug

fez and ftl stand out of those for me

i also liked alan wake a lot, but it's not for everyone

FEZ, FTL, Bastion, Alan Wake and Legend of Grimrock would be ones I'd recommend giving a try.

FTL starts out tough and confusing, but you'll fall in love with it once you get the hang of it. Plus that music makes the journey all that much sweeter.

Change the difficulty to easy because easy is actually the normal difficulty, and normal difficulty is actually hard. I played the game on normal and when I beat it, I got the achievement for beating the game on hard.

Bastion isn't a long game so you should give it a try. Fez and Legend of Grimrock seemed like interesting games if you're into the genres of each one (puzzle/platformer and dungeon crawler)

In my opinion you should play FTL, though it can be a bit unforgiving at first so play at the easiest difficult first to understand the gameplay.

Give FTL a try. You'll die and restart alot in the first 30 minutes. If you're not sick of it by then, means you like the game. If not, move on.

Both FTL and Sppace Pirates and Zombies look like utter bundle trash, but I love both games.

Especially FTL.

Wow, I never imagined FTL had so much love! After so many recommendations I will have to give it a try!

About Alan Wake easy mode being the true normal mode; and the normal mode being the hard... that actually may explain a lot!! lmao. Will turn the difficult down to appreciate the story and the mechancis (that actually are pretty interesting).

Of the ones that I've played:

I'm apparently a bit of an outlier, because I really didn't think much of Bastion. Sure, it has great art and music, and the narration gimmick is captivating enough, but I just didn't care much for the game itself. That said, there's still plenty of memorable moments to be found, especially towards the end.

I really wanted to like FEZ, but it never really did anything interesting with the central mechanic. The whole level rotation thing seems neat at first, but eventually you just get to a point where you can't get any further, rotate the level until you can get where you want, and repeat. To be fair, I never did 100% it. I got the ending, and there were a few more cubes that I still had to collect but got bored before I could figure out how to actually get to them.

Torchlight is ok. I never played Diablo or any of the other similar games, so I don't know how it compares. It's mindless fun, and I beat it with two of the three characters, but after a while it just got repetitive.

I really wanted to like Vessel, since I always love messing around with fluid physics in games, but I found a lot of the puzzles to be too finicky, especially towards the end. There were too many times where I was actually doing the solution "correctly", but the fluid physics just weren't cooperating.

Rochard is a somewhat decent basic platformer. I beat it, but don't remember a single thing about it. I've heard good things about the DLC, though.

FTL is amazing, and one of my top-played games on Steam (4th place, with 140 hours). As others have said, it's a bit daunting at first, but that's part of the charm. Your first few runs, you're going to get completely overwhelmed as your ship literally goes down in flames, but you'll get better every run. Just don't be ashamed to play the game on "Easy". FTL's Easy is the equivalent to Normal in other games.

Like Fez, Offspring Fling is a game with a cute concept that never really does anything interesting with it. It's a super short game, but none of the levels ever get all that difficult. I kept waiting for the game to do interesting things with its core concept, but it never happened.

Shatter's a great one, if you like Breakout-style games. Awesome soundtrack, and the physics-based nature of the blocks throws some interesting curveballs on the standard ball-and-paddle formula.

Thanks a lot for the complete impressions of what you played! Since apparently none of them are terrible as I thought that maybe they could be, I may try them all. Specially interested in FTL. =)

Choose your campaign. Play as Kane & Lynch in a Third Person action shooter as you try and get away from Agent 47.

Play as Agent 47 who is after Kane and Lynch and must kill other targets along the way in the traditional hitman style.

You joke, but that sounds really good. A new era of Spies vs. Mercs.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

that sounds neat, though A47 is kinda broken.

I wonder if this means a new team is doing season 2.

Aaron D.

$9.99 - Steam
-trailer

Hey y'all, just a quick PSA. Don't sleep on Unexplored.

Austin Walker did a 2+ hour play-through on YouTube a few days back and it not only put the game on my radar, but also completely sold me in the first 15 minutes.

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of procedural generation. It typically feels like one long hallway with boxes (rooms) randomly attached on either side.

But there's something special going on here. If you had told me the maps were manually designed I wouldn't bat an eyelash. I think it also helps that the entire dungeon is created from the start, so you'll read notes specifically referencing content in deeper levels, as well as equipment to deal with puzzles further down the line. It lends a sense of purposeful design to the entire experience.

I found a short dev video giving a brief explanation of this unique approach to randomization.

Anyway, I'm absolutely loving this game so far. Movement and tactical, timing-based combat feels dialed-in and tight. Audio/visual design is top notch. No XP* so there's a great sense of risk/reward with every enemy encounter.

* You do keep Gold currency between dungeon runs. As well as unlocking new starting classes and pre-dungeon shop items through and Achievement-like system.

And finally as a token of the dev's good will, the Soundtrack (legit awesome) and subsequent DLC are all free upfront for game owners.

It's all pretty sweet, to the point where Unexplored is likely earmarked for a spot on my GOTY list.

JakeD

anyone have any first hand experience with the current state of the marvel ultimate alliance ports? i'm getting mixed messages from steam forums.

i typically use an xbone wireless but have other controllers available

$9.99 - Steam
-trailer

Austin Walker did a 2+ hour play-through on YouTube a few days back and it not only put the game on my radar, but also completely sold me in the first 15 minutes.

As a general rule, I'm not a fan of procedural generation. It typically feels like one long hallway with boxes (rooms) randomly attached on either side.

But there's something special going on here. If you had told me the maps were manually designed I wouldn't bat an eyelash. I think it also helps that the entire dungeon is created from the start, so you'll read notes specifically referencing content in deeper levels, as well as equipment to deal with puzzles further down the line. It lends a sense of purposeful design to the entire experience.

I found a short dev video giving a brief explanation of this unique approach to randomization.

Anyway, I'm absolutely loving this game so far. Movement and tactical, timing-based combat feels dialed-in and tight. Audio/visual design is top notch. No XP* so there's a great sense of risk/reward with every enemy encounter.

* You do keep Gold currency between dungeon runs. As well as unlocking new starting classes and pre-dungeon shop items through and Achievement-like system.

And finally as a token of the dev's good will, the Soundtrack (legit awesome) and subsequent DLC are all free upfront for game owners.

It's all pretty sweet, to the point where Unexplored is likely earmarked for a spot on my GOTY list.

On my wishlist, I will watch the video after work. It looks like its my kind of game but I have so many games to play right now!

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I got it for free and attempted to play it once or twice. Both times the servers were down or no one was online for me to be matched with.

Corpekata

Banned
The gamestop thing was an error, it was meant for employees only.

With the game in general though, I think the price is a big thing. They made a game going after Rocket League's lunch and it costs more. I know it wasn't a rocket league clone and had other features, but it was not communicated very well.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Corporate Lifestyle Simulator -- MB-5FC9C093919DE346 - Taken by zebez. 1 entrants total.
Random GMG BDay game

t1494528003z1.png

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
Shikigami no Shiro is comming to Steam? nice!
the old PC versions are a pain in the ass to run these days...

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Three Dead Zed -- MB-39D62FB0B7CE9DF1 - Taken by sadblob

Ladekabel

Playing Ellipsis with an controller for two hours was a mistake. Thought it might be some great mellow game which I can play laid back with a controller. Tried mouse in a level and it is even better to play it laid back just with a mouse.

$9.99 - Steam
-trailer

This looks good. Might try it in my search for a rogue.lite that might keep my interest for a longer time than 1 hour.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

three dead zed -- MB-46C58100159D41A0 - Taken by Vuze

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Forgot to unsub from that G2A deal bundle, and they charged me today. I tried to ask for refund, but their support said that they can't give me refund even if i didn't displayed keys from this bundle. Isn't this illegal, can i ask refund directly from PayPal then?

Why would that be illegal?

What I got from greenmangaming

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (ScreamingTrees, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Huntsman: The Orphanage -- MB-DDCE36DAAE71DFAE - Taken by Camel Master. 1 entrants total.

t1494519898z1.png

Endruen

Forgot to unsub from that G2A deal bundle, and they charged me today. I tried to ask for refund, but their support said that they can't give me refund even if i didn't displayed keys from this bundle. Isn't this illegal, can i ask refund directly from PayPal then?

I wouldn't refund you either because it can be highly exploitable. Imagine if someone bought Humble Monthly and once the games reveal they ask for a refund arguing that they forgot to unsub, but they actually don't like the games.

EDIT: Oh, great, top page, now I'll look like a dick.

Ibuki

Banned

You can probably try to dispute the charge, but surely you agreed to terms when you first subscribed.

Hot Wheels is taking my time from Prey.
kK1OFx9.gif[

And it's a lot of fun. Too bad the new expansion bugged the old one, Blizzard Mountain is now accessible. How could they have missed this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom