• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Since everyone just ignored my question, here's an example of what I had in mind....

I thought we were told that all platform specific (including steam) threads were moved to the community, if you were to make such a thread it'll end in community too, so what's the point?

Maybe they are trying to build a brand name and sacrificing sales is a calculated risk.

well, it's nice to want things, I guess, and sometimes profit has to be sacrificed for future benefits, but in my eyes it is obvious that having publisher specific services that offer only limited (very limited in some cases) amount of products exclusively is not working sales model in any field, why would games be different?

Knurek

I thought we were told that all platform specific (including steam) threads were moved to the community, if you were to make such a thread it'll end in community too, so what's the point?

This would be news, right?

we already have OTs for new releases, there's no reason to make additional ones right?

Well, not for all games, do we?
I could add links to existing ones though...

Phinor

Oh no, Finland is becoming Germany (again?). The best selling retail game last week wasn't Bayonetta 2, or the latest FIFA/NHL, no, it was.. Farming Simulator 2015 (PC).

Also Battlefield 4 remains in top 10. For some reason Battlefield series keeps selling for years here. No Call of Duty in sight. But will CoDAW be able to dethrone Farming Simulator? More on this story (possibly) next week!

well, it's nice to want things, I guess, and sometimes profit has to be sacrificed for future benefits, but in my eyes it is obvious that having publisher specific services that offer only limited (very limited in some cases) amount of products exclusively is not working sales model in any field, why would games be different?

Maybe they look at Blizzard and their Battle.net service and think that if that worked, then theirs will too (of course they are missing the point that Blizzard's games were never available on Steam)

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell

Chariot

Oh no, Finland is becoming Germany (again?). The best selling retail game last week wasn't Bayonetta 2, or the latest FIFA/NHL, no, it was.. Farming Simulator 2015 (PC).

Also Battlefield 4 remains in top 10. For some reason Battlefield series keeps selling for years here. No Call of Duty in sight. But will CoDAW be able to dethrone Farming Simulator? More on this story (possibly) next week!
Of course they would like it. Farming Simulator is the Finn's Call of Duty. After all, a single finnish farmer can take on whole platoons of soldiers.

Copons

Maybe they are trying to build a brand name and sacrificing sales is a calculated risk.

They're alienating customers too, though.
I don't think I'm the only one here who just doesn't buy games outside Steam (and occasionally GOG), and is deeply annoyed when Steam games require a secondary launcher (be it Uplay, Origin or whatever) to work.

Microsoft tried it with a well established brand (well, the Live part at least), and it brutally failed, leaving behind tons of disgruntled users, malfunctioning games and basically forcing developers to waste time and money to patch GFWL out of their games.

EA and Ubisoft don't seem to offer anything more than GFWL (ok, they work definitely better, but still), and an awful lot less than Steam.
Sooner or later, even the uneducated customers will understand that those platforms are basically just a way to avoid Valve's fee and to build a client database, meaning, they're so not customer-centric (not that Steam is all that customer-centric, but at least they're good at making us think they're trying :D ), that people will start feeling like they're being flipped off and ditch them for good.

Maybe they look at Blizzard and their Battle.net service and think that if that worked, then theirs will too (of course they are missing the point that Blizzard's games were never available on Steam)

Battle.net is such a different case!
One developer, a handful of games (currently SEVEN) made by that developer, and a centralized user experience.
It really doesn't relate with Steam and the others at all, and not just because WoW was never sold on Steam.

I don't think I'm the only one here who just doesn't buy games outside Steam (and occasionally GOG), and is deeply annoyed when Steam games require a secondary launcher (be it Uplay, Origin or whatever) to work.

Microsoft tried it with a well established brand (well, the Live part at least), and it brutally failed, leaving behind tons of disgruntled users, malfunctioning games and basically forcing developers to waste time and money to patch GFWL out of their games.

EA and Ubisoft don't seem to offer anything more than GFWL (ok, they work definitely better, but still), and an awful lot less than Steam.
Sooner or later, even the uneducated customers will understand that those platforms are basically just a way to avoid Valve's fee and to build a client database, meaning, they're so not customer-centric (not that Steam is all that customer-centric, but at least they're good at making us think they're trying :D ), that people will start feeling like they're being flipped off and ditch them for good.

Battle.net is such a different case!
One developer, a handful of games (currently SEVEN) made by that developer, and a centralized user experience.
It really doesn't relate with Steam and the others at all, and not just because WoW was never sold on Steam.

I know, but publishers don't seem to realize that, it's the same situation as the hordes of CoD copycats (or Minecraft clones, etc) They see something which found success and try to copy it.

Maniac

Banned
ehh who gives a shit about half life anymore

certainly not valve
You... You take that back!!
:'(

Defender's Quest will be getting an HD upgrade (for free!) sometime soon. They'll be upgrading the sprite art as well as the cut scenes:

Source
Ooooh. Awesome! Loved the hell out of this game.

I'm not sure if I would go that far, but it was insanely good considering most of us got it in a bundle.
Wait... It was in a bundle!? When!? I played the browser version which I believe was the first chapter playable for free? And I loved it! I really want it but I'd not realised it was in a bundle.. -_-

It's not as bad as assycreed shame tarps.
Honestly, some of those designs look great and slick, but they're completely ruined by the insignias, emblems and all the silly jazz on there.

you'd be surprised ;)
Um... I... Uh, damnit Lash, now I'm horny!
I always am for you though ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

also - trying to build a brand by essentially forcing people to buy their games on uplay ... because that's clearly the best way to do that ... and it's always worked so well in the past (*cough* gfwl paid multi *cough*)

milena87

Of course you're not alone. The only game I bought in the last year outside of Steam and GOG is Dragon Age Inquisition, but only because I really really want the game. Even if I'm curious about other EA games, there's no way I'd buy them.

Last year that game was AC:Black Flag and I don't want to do the same for AC:Unity, so I'll just wait for a price drop on Steam.

Oh, and Amazon.com bestseller list shows this as well: the Steam versions of both ACIII and IV are outselling the Uplay versions at the same price point.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Honestly, some of those designs look great and slick, but they're completely ruined by the insignias, emblems and all the silly jazz on there.
Without all that it wouldn't represent the gaudy aspect of gaming. You need your gamerz cred.

Arthea

MMOs are exception, though, as you need infrastructure to run them, MMO absolutely doesn't need to be available everywhere to be successful, quite contrary, if dev-publisher has good service, servers and everything works smoothly, expanding to other clients might hurt a game. Aslo in MMOs case they are clients. They still have to be sold everywhere and they are.

What some publishers are trying to do is to limit their selling possibilities without any benefits for them that I can see, games doesn't run better because they use other clients, they don't offer much of additional incentives, etc. instead they pour money into their clients that aren't needed and nobody wants them too.

OTOH competition and options to choose from is a good thing, only it has to be adequate competition, like gog is for example, it has own thing and benefits, also it sells all kind of games and tries to expand that amount all the time.
If there was alternative to steam, that wasn't so much into only selling own games and not owing anything to anyone, without providing environment and variety, that would make valve to perk up too. (><)
But as situation is now, EA and Ubi just screw their potential clients for no reason.

RVinP

Unconfirmed Member
All the news of the Defender's Quest getting an HD update, persuaded me to dust the forgotten names from my game library and got it downloaded/installed.

Never played this before, this is my first booting up the game. Played a few stages, until one gets the ability to recruit multiple rangers and I am liking it.

I've been playing RFG for last few days since the Steamworks beta started. It's still super fun, destruction is top notch and it runs great. Need to try multiplayer out today.

Tizoc

All the news of the Defender's Quest getting an HD update, persuaded me to dust the forgotten names from my game library and got it downloaded/installed.

Never played this before, this is my first booting up the game. Played a few stages, until one gets the ability to recruit multiple rangers and I am liking it.

Oh nice and it'll be a free update.
I got it off GOG so looking forward to trying it again.

I'm seriously considering to sell my Nvidia promo code and then buy Unity on Steam. Someone is selling the Russian(?) version in the BST thread for $52. It's tempting, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

Is there a problem with uplay and games you bought from a different region?

I'm seriously considering to sell my Nvidia promo code and then buy Unity on Steam. Someone is selling the Russian(?) version in the BST thread for $52. It's tempting, but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

The Nvidia codes are going for about 35$ on Steamtrades.

uPlay doesnt have regionlocks.

Arthea

Ubisoft games on steam are region locked

Coreda

Tempted to reinstall now. There's no time like hammer time.

5yJoRaS.jpg

Loved those threads

FloatOn

welp, I was incredibly stoked to spend some more time in rebirth but I was all like "I'm going take a twenty minute power nap, knock out some homework and dive in like a responsible person".

yeah, my power nap turned into 10 fucking hours. jesus christ getting old blows.

Knurek

You know what? The fact that we are in Community, while Visual Novel Community thread is in Gaming is... well, mindblowing.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Since everyone just ignored my question, here's an example of what I had in mind:

Steam new releases for 03.11.2014:

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - $59.99/59,99€/£39.99
Tagline: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare envisions a powerful future, where both technology and tactics have evolved to usher in a new era of combat for the franchise. Power Changes Everything.
First 24 hour concurrent players peak: Single: 9,409, Multi: 27,961
Steam user reviews: 79% of 1,275 are positive.

Depth - $22.49/20,69€/£17.09 - 10% launch discount
Tagline: Play as a shark or a diver in a dark aquatic world and overcome your enemies by employing cunning, teamwork, and stealth. Depth blends tension and visceral action as you team up against AI or be matched with other players in heart pounding combat.
First 24 hour concurrent players peak: 448
Steam user reviews: 92% of 191 are positive.

Early Access games:

Spectre - $10.79/10,79€/£8.09 - 10% launch discount
Tagline: Fright or be frightened in Spectre, a haunted new multiplayer horror game with full VR integration
First 24 hour concurrent players peak: 1
Steam user reviews: 1 submitted, positive.

While I like the idea, either a mod would have to sticky the thread in gaming or the thread would drop off the front page immediately as it was continuously bumped by ongoing discussion. The former creates its own conundrum as we would be getting special privileges not available to other threads moved to community.

You know what? The fact that we are in Community, while Visual Novel Community thread is in Gaming is... well, mindblowing.

Who got moved to community and who stayed in gaming is completely arbitrary. Right now there is a dedicated thread to a YouTube personality and another to a single podcast group in gaming. But other such threads for different groups were moved into community. Look at how the Australian OT gets a sticky but others don't, I figure the whole thing is less than a fair policy and more mods giving privileges to the threads they personally like. *shrug, not to say the Steam thread wasn't allowed a much longer time in Gaming when the PSvita (Might have been the PS sub thread) was moved here.

FloatOn

you know what would be a great pc gaming related thread in the main gaming section?

a thread dedicated to awesome games you can only find on pc. for example:

chivalry
dota 2
orcs must die 2
natural selection 2 (evolve fans should try this)
euro truck sim 2
crusader kings 2
civ 5 + beyond earth

and so on. with breakdowns of what makes them great and a "if you like this console game you should try this on pc" kind of thing.

We are not kawaii enough for Gaming.
So it wasn't the waifu's that put us into community, it was the lack of waifu's that put us in community.

QUICK, EVERYONE POST YOUR FAVOURITE WAIFU/HUSBANDO
WE STILL HAVE A CHANCE TO GO BACK INTO GAMING, WE JUST GOTTA UGUU~ OUR WAY IN THERE!

Knurek

you know what would be a great pc gaming related thread in the main gaming section?

a thread dedicated to awesome games you can only find on pc. for example:

chivalry
dota 2
orcs must die 2
natural selection 2 (evolve fans should try this)
euro truck sim 2
crusader kings 2
civ 5 + beyond earth

and so on. with breakdowns of what makes them great and a "if you like this console game you should try this on pc" kind of thing.

Nah, seems people there are interested in resolution used by console games. And how much vodka you can drink while playing games. And, dunno, 20 GB day one patches...

Arthea

Someone should make a thread. Hilarious that the main reason seems to be that they want to charge more than a straight conversion would be
There is a thread already
They do that all the time with EU and UK. They simply want even more.

Grief.exe

Who got moved to community and who stayed in gaming is completely arbitrary. Right now there is a dedicated thread to a YouTube personality and another to a single podcast group in gaming. But other such threads for different groups were moved into community. Look at how the Australian OT gets a sticky but others don't, I figure the whole thing is less than a fair policy and more mods giving privileges to the threads they personally like. *shrug, not to say the Steam thread wasn't allowed a much longer time in Gaming when the PSvita (Might have been the PS sub thread) was moved here.

I'd imagine it is an oversight. Keep in mind this is not an actual job for the moderators.

The Steam OT was probably one of the most visible OTs on the gaming side. We are going to get swept up by any policy change, while others may be missed entirely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom