• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine it is an oversight. Keep in mind this is not an actual job for the moderators.

The Steam OT was probably one of the most visible OTs on the gaming side. We are going to get swept up by any policy change, while others may be missed entirely.

Yeah, the AusOT is really invisible as the second sticky thread.

Edit: I'm not really mad, I realize that the mods are doing this on their free time and it will get sorted eventually.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Why dont we just rename our thread to Codename S.T.E.A.M. OT after that dumb 3ds game. No one will know!

According to some posters earlier in this thread, visually the game looks awful so they would probably object. Personally I don't really care for handheld games.

All the news of the Defender's Quest getting an HD update, persuaded me to dust the forgotten names from my game library and got it downloaded/installed.

Never played this before, this is my first booting up the game. Played a few stages, until one gets the ability to recruit multiple rangers and I am liking it.

Yeah, it's a great game. I got the "180 stars with only using the main six characters" achievement, but after that it gets hard as shit. I probably won't get to 201 stars even with extra rangers.

Grief.exe

Yeah, the AusOT is really invisible as the second sticky thread.

Edit: I'm not really mad, I realize that the mods are doing this on their free time.

Referring to the other points made about other OTs left in gaming while the Steam OT was pushed to community.
The Australian OT isn't relevant to our situation, while the others are. That OT was already in the community side, and the sticky may be a result of some inside joke we are not aware of. Negligible point anyways, the Steam OT is always on top of the community board.

iosefe

Happy birthday iosefe !

il_340x270.609667141_1q0p.jpg
O_O
banana!
No, you can see by the grey skin and the high head that it is clearly a gorilla I draw, not a chimp!

Also happy birthday
well, this is embarrassing. It just always looked chimpish to me.

Thanks

Hasn't this happened before with Ubisoft titles in the UK?

Answer is yes:

We've been in discussions with Valve about Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3, but for the time being the games are not available via Steam in the UK," said Ubisoft.
"In the meantime, UK customers wishing to purchase either of these games can do so by visiting the Uplay store, our retail partners or other digital distributors."
They went on to assure overseas gamers, "Assassin's Creed 3 and Far Cry 3 are available on Steam in other regions outside the UK."

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ed-3-far-cry-3-unavailable-on-uk-steam-store/

Dr Dogg

You know what? The fact that we are in Community, while Visual Novel Community thread is in Gaming is... well, mindblowing.

You know because Community threads need a bit of visibility to form a community around them. So they get exposure in Gaming and after a month or two they get moved. Been the thing for a while now, we just took 6 years to move!

I'm glad I don't live in the UK region. Is there no way UK Steam users can get the games on their Steam accounts?

I would think with you being in UAE (unless I'm going barmy) you'd be fucked over more than any other territory. Technically I could ask anyone in Europe or NA to gift it to me and it would be fine. They'll turn up about a week after release date like they always do, the cretins.

Arthea

Valentine's and spring break is why

Happy birthday!

I would think with you being in UAE (unless I'm going barmy) you'd be fucked over more than any other territory. Technically I could ask anyone in Europe or NA to gift it to me and it would be fine. They'll turn up about a week after release date like they always do, the cretins.

you should keep quiet about it, or they'll see it and region lock us from gifting to UK, you know (><)
btw what so bad about being in UEA?

Milamber

Before the default ACRTAG change, I could have asked anyone on GAF to help me, not sure now. Thankfully[?], Ubi doesn't even care about the middle east to block stuff off Steam.

Tizoc

Err I don't get your post sorry.
Milamber and I are in the same region, and I'm sure that those AC games are available in my Steam region last I checked.

Lomax

If they want to liven up community, why not just make new game OTs start there, instead of moving them there later? I never understood why it works the way it does right now.

Happy Bday Josefe~

Anyone. What could be my 1000th game?

Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, that was mine.

Milamber

Milamber and I are in the same region, and I'm sure that those AC games are available in my Steam region last I checked.

He thinks that the muslim region of Steam gets a lot of restrictions/banned games compared to others like depiction of nudity or un-nationalistic depiction of our own countries in games.

Which is mostly true.

EDIT: Most of the latest GTA's is not allowed here because of hookers in the games. Same for the CoD's that has arabs in it as the antagonists. Spec Ops: The Line is obviously banned here.

73V3N

Banned
got $1 in bitcoins but i already had this game. (won it in a giveaway, thanks again :p )
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (73V3N, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet -- MB-427049B7C1064A4C - Taken by Ultimate_Trainer. 1 entrants total.

t1415282654z1.png

Dr Dogg

you should keep quiet about it, or they'll see it and region lock us from gifting to UK, you know (><)
btw what so bad about being in UEA?

This is Community only, who cares

Before the default ACRTAG change, I could have asked anyone on GAF to help me, not sure now. Thankfully[?], Ubi doesn't even care about the middle east to block stuff off Steam.

I can deal with ACRTAG as pubs would have to neuter a lot of regions to effect most of us but if it comes down to being locked at the applications runtime then that's a dick move.

Because you have much stricter censorship laws that most of the other regions on Steam (well baring some of the loopy German things that still go on). Though might not be the case I guess. Are there titles on Steam you can't buy at all? Isn't Spec Ops banned in UAE for its depiction of Dubai?

Milamber

Because you have much stricter censorship laws that most of the other regions on Steam (well baring some of the loopy German things that still go on). Though might not be the case I guess. Are there titles on Steam you can't buy at all? Isn't Spec Ops banned in UAE for its depiction of Dubai?

Yep, check my above post for the edit.

Alavard

So I had the day off yesterday for an appointment, and started up two games in the morning - Watch_Dogs and a new game of Europa Universalis IV. Guess which one I actually ended up playing more than 45 min of? That's right, EUIV.

On the down side, however, my EUIV game didn't amount to much. After 40 years as Scotland, I had conquered Ireland, but couldn't get any farther. England's land forces were too much for me alone, and even getting France's assistance proved fruitless. France simply couldn't get past England's navy. I hope to do better playing as the Livonian Order.

Dr Dogg

Yep, check my above post for the edit.

One of my aunt and uncles used to live in Oman and Abu Dhabi and while they said officially it's hard to buy certain items of media due to censorship laws and such. But if you take a walk away from the department stores and boutiques and pop 5 mins down the road to the market sellers you could buy pretty much anything you wanted. Some more suspect than others.

Ban Puncher

oh! that's good to know
we need it to drop in price, though, and it isn't happening inspite of our hopes and expectations (._.)

It was half price a week or so ago but alas that ain't cheap enough for this collectable figurine enthusiast.

Skyzard

Banned
ohh the irony

Unity is £18.35 at Indian Origin :)

This is on the Indian version of Origin store. What you need to do is;

1. Make sure a debit/credit card is saved to your origin account. This makes payment easier.
2. Install the Hola plugin for your browser and set it to India. Details can be found on the Hola site.
3. Go to the origin store and you'll know wether Hola has worked or not because all prices will be in Rupees. 1p is approximately 1 rupee.
4. Add AC Unity to your cart and click checkout.
5. Disable Hola now and make sure you're back on your UK ip. This will allow you to process your UK card. Proceed with the payment.

I used SwitchySharp as a chrome plugin and got a random indian ip proxy, didn't sign in with the IP on, just went to checkout.

Dr Dogg

I used SwitchySharp as a chrome plugin and got a random indian ip proxy, didn't sign in with the IP on, just went to checkout.

Nvidia codes are going for about £20 again on Steamtrades and the like and you only have to deal with Uplay and not Origin. Plus knowing what my Blag Flag code was like it included a shit load of Uplay Store exclusive DLC. I'm still waiting for benches until I pick it up. Seeing as I've not really been missing SLI due to the recent lack of support but if this needs the extra oomph I'm going to have to grab my second card out my workstation PC.

Aaron D.

So I had the day off yesterday for an appointment, and started up two games in the morning - Watch_Dogs and a new game of Europa Universalis IV. Guess which one I actually ended up playing more than 45 min of? That's right, EUIV.

I always feel like I should be wearing a smoking jacket and holding a brandy snifter while sitting next to a fireplace when I play EUIV.

The game is just so classy.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
oh look ... RPS is writing about ubi today as well ;)

U-boo-soft, more like. It looks like the developer of Far Cry 4, The Crew and Assassin’s Creed Unity won’t be releasing any of those games through Steam in the UK.

Speaking to PCGamesN, the publisher confirmed that they have been in discussions with Valve about Assassin’s Creed Unity, “but for the time being the game is not available via Steam in the UK. In the meantime, UK customers wishing to purchase the game digitally can do so by visiting the Uplay store, our retail partners or other digital distributors.” The Crew and Far Cry 4, meanwhile, are listed on Steam throughout the world but not in the UK, suggesting they might befall the same fate.

This isn’t merely an issue of not being able to enjoy the convenience of Steam, or even about avoiding Uplay, since all Ubisoft games require the service regardless of where you buy them. Instead, the greater issue is that Uplay prices tend to be higher than on Valve’s service. To pre-order Assassin’s Creed Unity via Uplay will cost you £50, for example.

Ubisoft haven’t said why Assassin’s Creed Unity or those other games won’t be available through Steam, or why that decision is UK-specific. It’s not the first time something like this has happened, though. When Bethesda and Splash Damage game released Brink back in 2011, it quickly vanished from the Steam store in the UK. It was rumoured at the time that this was because of UK-specific deals made with brick-and-mortar retailers.

Game developers and publishers are obviously free to release their games wherever and however they like, but even as someone who has never experienced serious technical problems with Uplay, this seems a shame.

Arthea

It was half price a week or so ago but alas that ain't cheap enough for this collectable figurine enthusiast.

10€ is way too much for a prank, if base price dropped to 10€ and then it went to nice 80-90% discount, we would see a nice picture on activity feed (><)

Pachimari

I'm getting tired of this.

Can somebody tell me, why The Evil Within keeps starting up on my monitor 3?

I have 4 screens connected but it won't start up on my main display. Neither from Steam or Big Picture mode. :(

Skyzard

Banned
Nvidia codes are going for about £20 again on Steamtrades and the like and you only have to deal with Uplay and not Origin. Plus knowing what my Blag Flag code was like it included a shit load of Uplay Store exclusive DLC. I'm still waiting for benches until I pick it up. Seeing as I've not really been missing SLI due to the recent lack of support but if this needs the extra oomph I'm going to have to grab my second card out my workstation PC.

Wasn't aware but if it's not steam I don't really care between ea and ubisoft. -Oh I see what you mean, this origin version will open uplay still I take it. I should probably check out what steamtrades is - it probably is the steam version lol. I thought UK folks were locked out of Ubisoft stuff on steam though...gifting is okay?

It mentioned some dlc, let me check:
+royal arsenal pack
+chemical revolution mission

£20 ain't bad though, I like the theme and environments in Unity, hopefully it plays alright.

louiedog

I'm getting tired of this.

Can somebody tell me, why The Evil Within keeps starting up on my monitor 3?

I have 4 screens connected but it won't start up on my main display. Neither from Steam or Big Picture mode. :(

If you go to Screen Resolution settings area in Windows does it list that monitor as display #1?

You know because Community threads need a bit of visibility to form a community around them. So they get exposure in Gaming and after a month or two they get moved. Been the thing for a while now, we just took 6 years to move!

I think it's 1.5 months until an OT gets moved to community.

I really don't see why this thread shouldn't be in the community section. Sales get their own threads anyway and since it's been running for so long, I'd say that it already has built up a stable community and it shouldn't affect the thread that much. It's been a big exception anyway and it would be great if the other community threads (like the GB thread) would be moved here as well. No more exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom