• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
is jshackles planning on re adding the feature to hide free to play games? cause I'm sick and tired of my front page being littered with f2p games that steam keeps recommending to me. no steam, I don't want to play them. I don't care if they're free to download. stop it.

Unfortunately at this time I have no plans. Since the updated homepage went live, there is now a ton of dynamically generated content that uses a wide variety of containers and such - many of which don't mention that a particular game is free to play.

The only way this could be added back is if ES were to query the Steam API for each game on the page, determine if it was free to play, then hide it as appropriate. It's certainly not impossible, but it's increasingly difficult now that the AppDetails API only allows a single AppID to be queried at a time - thus resulting in hundreds (or even thousands(?), depending on how far down you scroll on the home page) of AJAX queries being kicked off at once.

I really wish Valve would update their "recommendation" system to account for things like this. I believe what they have already is a pretty good start, but it could (and should) evolve into a more Netflix-like experience where you can rate your preference for particular genres and have the system learn from your answers. It should also have the ability to have games completely disregarded based on certain attributes - such as a game's genre or store category.

Shadownet

Banned
Yeah I could do that frost but I think I rather have it on Steam.

Btw, does anyone know someone on GAF that sell keys? Sub Zero is AFK at the moment.

L.O.R.D

Yeah I could do that frost but I think I rather have it on Steam.

Btw, does anyone know someone on GAF that sell keys? Sub Zero is AFK at the moment.

i sent him 2 messages , didn't respond to me
i remember there was a forum that sell keys, forgot the name

Unfortunately at this time I have no plans. Since the updated homepage went live, there is now a ton of dynamically generated content that uses a wide variety of containers and such - many of which don't mention that a particular game is free to play.

The only way this could be added back is if ES were to query the Steam API for each game on the page, determine if it was free to play, then hide it as appropriate. It's certainly not impossible, but it's increasingly difficult now that the AppDetails API only allows a single AppID to be queried at a time - thus resulting in hundreds (or even thousands(?), depending on how far down you scroll on the home page) of AJAX queries being kicked off at once.

I really wish Valve would update their "recommendation" system to account for things like this. I believe what they have already is a pretty good start, but it could (and should) evolve into a more Netflix-like experience where you can rate your preference for particular genres and have the system learn from your answers. It should also have the ability to have games completely disregarded based on certain attributes - such as a game's genre or store category.

aw man that sucks. i hate my front page just being littered with it. like 9 out of the 15 games are free to play games. >_> I'd rather just have the previous system than this. I don't even play free to play games on steam, i have no clue why it recommends so many of them.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Shadow Warrior Classic is free on Steam.

Shadow Warrior Classic has been free almost since it went up (Devolver stuffed up the distribution of keys and decided to just change it to a free game on Steam itself so nobody would miss out). You're thinking of Shadow Warrior Classic Redux.

Everyone should get Car Mechanic Simulator 2014, it's a great puzzle/sim and they added a whole chunk of new content last month for free.

Sendou

Invisible, Inc. new update:

Build 116318

New Features
* New alternate "ARCHIVE" agent starting loadouts. Deckard and International.
* Rewind feature added. Works as a limited save and reload.
* IRONMAN mode, play without the rewind feature.
* New enemy type: Support Guards
* New grenade items: Smoke and flash grenades.
* New gadget, go find it.
* Tutorial has a "guard blind spot" feature spotlight.
* When guards are on overwatch, tiles that will hide your agents will be shown as purple colored zones.
* better door visibility in mainframe mode
* some sounds updated.

Balance Changes
* International's scanning ability becomes an item and now works passively.
* Emergency Drip now works when your PWR is less than 3. Boosts it up to 3 PWR.
* Opening doors and peeking will not cancel Melee Overwatch.
* Augments and inventory are now two separate groups.
* Agents now get new Augment slots using the Cybernetics lab.
* Guards peek around corners at interest points.

Bug Fixes
* Fix cloak visual effect being removed only after being overwatch-shot while walking
* Null drone is not impassable
* Save window position in settings for Windows
* Fix a room-generation problem with vault levels
* Fix Interrogation target not being KO'd for 6 rounds.
* Fix the Final Mission dialog not appearing.
* Peeking should reveal bodies hidden behind cover.
* Fix an inaccessible safe with one of the security prefabs.
* The ShopCat store now has tooltips for player programs.
* Corpses are no longer selectable.
* You can toggle run while dragging.
* Sankaku missions now always have at least 1 guard, for passcard assignment.
* Fix some tooltip spacing.
* Tooltip on Passcard
* Stim III name fixed

Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/43601-early-access-update-6-archive-ghosts-patch-notes/

Shadow Warrior Classic has been free almost since it went up (Devolver stuffed up the distribution of keys and decided to just change it to a free game on Steam itself). You're thinking of Shadow Warrior Classic Redux.
Exactly. I remembered some old Shadow Warrior costing money. Didn't know there were multiple classic versions.

Turfster

aw man that sucks. i hate my front page just being littered with it. like 9 out of the 15 games are free to play games. >_> I'd rather just have the previous system than this. I don't even play free to play games on steam, i have no clue why it recommends so many of them.

The discovery queue should really let you nope groups of games based on tags.
F2P? Nope.
Zombies? Nope.
etc

If people are interested in games, they can stil un-nope them afterwards, but it would have saved me a metric fuckton of clicking.

zkylon

zkylewd

yea your thoughts echo mine pretty much but the way i see the combat being a failure in transistor is as such

the big gameplay problem with the game is that not only is the real time a crazy uncontrollable mess but most importantly that using turn based mode just locks you out completely out of doing anything in real time mode

more than vats it actually reminds of another favorite of mine, parasite eve since both games basically leave you without actions after your "turn" is passed. the big difference is that parasite eve is a much slower game which makes it so you can dodge spells and stuff while in "real time mode"

i really think they should've made the base gameplay much slower. it's too frenetic to be enjoyable

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

The only solution I can offer is that with Enhanced Steam you can open the "Customize" menu (towards the top right of the home page) and remove all or most of the dynamic content.

For reference, here is what my settings look like and how that makes my home page look:

0yXjZlX.jpg

The only solution I can offer is that with Enhanced Steam you can open the "Customize" menu (towards the top right of the home page) and remove all or most of the dynamic content.

For reference, here is what my settings look like and how that makes my home page look:

thanks, it looks a lot better now. :)

yea your thoughts echo mine pretty much but the way i see the combat being a failure in transistor is as such

the big gameplay problem with the game is that not only is the real time a crazy uncontrollable mess but most importantly that using turn based mode just locks you out completely out of doing anything in real time mode

more than vats it actually reminds of another favorite of mine, parasite eve since both games basically leave you without actions after your "turn" is passed. the big difference is that parasite eve is a much slower game which makes it so you can dodge spells and stuff while in "real time mode"

i really think they should've made the base gameplay much slower. it's too frenetic to be enjoyable

Transistor was a Supergiant letdown. They wanted to make Bastion 2, but lacked the conviction to actually carry through with it. The result is a conflicted game that isn't able to improve their first game's shortcomings, while also adding nothing meaningful to the mix.

As you and the other fellow say, they needed to reconsider their encounter design at the very least.

Also, I'm still upset they never added the trailer version of We All Become to their soundtrack. Blast them. It would have almost made up for how disappointing everything surrounding Transistor is.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Really enjoyed Mission 14
where you only have use of 1 arm so you gotta go around and be swapping guns from whoever you kill. And of course the whole final mission where you just wreck shit with no worries in an AST
First time in awhile I enjoyed the hell out of a COD campaign like that and actually played through it twice, both on Hardened and Veteran.

yup that was awesome. and the last level was exactly what it needed to be
controlling the mech suits
. The game hits every note perfectly, its really a well done campaign, even the story beats, while super cliche, are done well

I might be biased since I do enjoy me those cod campaigns, but this one felt really strong like I said.

Ozium

So, I just watched Jim Fucking Sterling's review of DRAGON THE GAME and must say that, while I normally am a Jim Fucking Sterling fan, I'm rather disappointed at this video.

First of all, he never notes that DRAGON THE GAME is very early access, and that more updates will be coming this week. He did not speak of the development roadmap for DRAGON THE GAME or anything. He didn't comment on the smooth flight mechanics or the feeling of being a DRAGON

Just like with The Slaughtering Grounds, Jim Fucking Sterling is trying to stir up controversy to get hits to his video blog and to create discord among gaming and dragon enthusiasts. All this while profiting off of other people's works..

Shame on you, Jim Fucking Sterling.

Uzzy

Soon™

[IMGhttp://0cb8dd5d2dc142d08f0f-eb3b436d25971e5860b39e72b0600342.r94.cf1.rackcdn.com/images/9KCaKOgEzOte.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg[/IMG]

What's going to be finished first, the book series or this?

*snip*

For me, Transistor is an average game that would be fine on it's own, but after the wait for something new from Supergiant after the brilliance of Bastion, it's a giant letdown.

Thanks for writing that out. Personally, I found Bastion's narrator got tiring, while I never tired of the Transistor. He's not a narrator telling you a story, he's a companion guiding you through the world, a fascinatingly tragic one.

Gameplay wise, yeah, I can see where you'd have issues coming from Bastion. You really have to use the planning mode in order to get anywhere, at least until NG+.

Everyone should get Car Mechanic Simulator 2014, it's a great puzzle/sim and they added a whole chunk of new content last month for free.

My father is a mechanic.
Do I really want a simulator for his daily life?

Meaningless without NEW FEATURES:
-Controller support
-Achievements

Blah blah blah

It's Jim Fucking Sterling, SON.

Sajjaja

So, I just watched Jim Fucking Sterling's review of DRAGON THE GAME and must say that, while I normally am a Jim Fucking Sterling fan, I'm rather disappointed at this video.

First of all, he never notes that DRAGON THE GAME is very early access, and that more updates will be coming this week. He did not speak of the development roadmap for DRAGON THE GAME or anything. He didn't comment on the smooth flight mechanics or the feeling of being a DRAGON

Just like with The Slaughtering Grounds, Jim Fucking Sterling is trying to stir up controversy to get hits to his video blog and to create discord among gaming and dragon enthusiasts. All this while profiting off of other people's works..

Shame on you, Jim Fucking Sterling.

I'm not sure if this is parody or not.

chronomac

click for link :)

Very good article from Durante. I always feel like he explains the technical details in a way that lets people (like myself), who aren't quite as savvy, get the gist of what's going on behind the game. He also seems to give the benefit of the doubt to the developer by explaining why certain decisions were made. For instance, there aren't that many options in the graphics menu, but it's not really a big deal.

The only question on my mind is, will this be another Walking Dead or is it going to be a Wolf Among Us?

Either way, I know it's going to be a a glitchfest that is never patched. Such is Telltale's modus operandi. Six episodes instead of five increases the chance of a corrupted save... and I don't like those odds.

Very good article from Durante. I always feel like he explains the technical details in a way that lets people (like myself), who aren't quite as savvy, get the gist of what's going on behind the game. He also seems to give the benefit of the doubt to the developer by explaining why certain decisions were made. For instance, there aren't that many options in the graphics menu, but it's not really a big deal.

OMG, no plethora of options in the graphics menu?

SHIT PORT.
EVERYONE CANCEL THEIR PREORDERS BECAUSE YOU CAN'T RUN AT 4K WITH 350FPS!

Ozium

Any impressions on The escapists? Currently 33% off, looks like a lot of fun.

it's good, they update pretty frequently and it's a simulation game about trying to break out of prison.. so you have to craft shit, follow the rules, do favors for ppl etc.. it's fun but not something you can just pick up and play you gotta be invested.

Turfster

I'm also pretty sure he didn't actually play Dragon - The Game. I think he played Really Tiny Lizard - The Game

This is what happens when people use a default Unity terrain with default textures and then scale it up to make the world "bigger" instead of you know, doing any actual work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom