• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Star Trek a similar title likely to get lost from Steam at some point and never returning due to being a licensed game?

Aw, man where's Jase when you need him :p
Damn you AssUnity and taking him away.

Arthea

I'm a huge Star Trek fan
(fun fact: my wife was in the Trekkies movie!)
and I really enjoyed the game. It wasn't incredible, but it was still pretty good and the voice acting was superb. $3.75 is a pretty fair price I think.

I just bought it, if anything I will know who to blame!
Jasec, of course (><)

Jawmuncher

Is Star Trek a similar title likely to get lost from Steam at some point and never returning due to being a licensed game?

Aw, man where's Jase when you need him :p
Damn you AssUnity and taking him away.

Considering Namco has no intention to make another Star Trek game and they don't have a hand in the mobile titles. More than likely.

But besides that it's actually a decent TPS. Played it by myself solo and enjoyed it all the way through. A bit janky but for what it is and the price you could do far worse, especially if you're a trek fan. If you have a friend to play with it would probably be more fun.

I just bought it, if anything I will know who to blame!
Jasec, of course (><)

From what I've seen, the game plays (and looks) like it's five years old, but kitbashed and reworked for several years afterwards. I'm almost certain that they made it as a tie-in to the '09 film, then let it sit in an unreleased state before applying the bare minimum of updates and releasing it to the masses.

Never bought a PC game at retail, so I'm wondering how it works nowadays with Steam.

I'm thinking of doing the price-match at Best Buy for Advanced Warfare for $30, but I have no DVD drive on my desktop. I was thinking of just installing the game on a shitty laptop just so it shows up in my account so I can then install it on my desktop right after.

I'm assuming it's that straightforward. Is it?

Nabs

Never bought a PC game at retail, so I'm wondering how it works nowadays with Steam.

I'm thinking of doing the price-match at Best Buy for Advanced Warfare for $30, but I have no DVD drive on my desktop. I was thinking of just installing the game on a shitty laptop just so it shows up in my account so I can then install it on my desktop right after.

It comes with a Steam key you can use instead.

Jawmuncher

So having finished all of the ME DLC I have no clue what to play now.
Don't want to get involved with anything I can't finish since tomorrow will be MCC, Bayo 2, Sunset Overdrive, and Valkyria Chronicles. If only I could have one of those right now.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

Most of the time you don't even need the physical media, you can just enter the code into Steam and it will download. There might be some exceptions to this though, haven't purchased a retail PC game in years.

Milamber

If its Steamworks, I usually buy the game, rip the packaging, throw the case and cd in the closet and just input the product key in my account. I did that with Naruto recently.

Seems kind of redundant to have a whole box and disc if it just comes with a code for it. Nonetheless, thanks for the replies! This works better for me.

Origin says I can't start downloading Unity for 12 hours ;-;

Oh well, I'll be at work anyway. Plus Master Chief will be waiting for me when I get home.

Grief.exe

Are you citing that Brandsmart deal I linked yesterday? Let me know how that goes.

Seems kind of redundant to have a whole box and disc if it just comes with a code for it. Nonetheless, thanks for the replies! This works better for me.

You can install the game from the disk, which saves some time and bandwidth.

Of course, if the game has received significant patches you'll probably be redownloading a lot of stuff anyways...

Anteater

Can someone explain to me the reason Japanese publishers lock out the rest of Asia?

no idea, i made a thread about it but people kept bringing up the whole regional pricing stuff which has nothing to do with this.

I'm sure Atraveller knows more because I remember him posting about it, it's something to do with a company having the right to publish some of their games in asia but they don't do digital distribution on pc.

Miguel81

Does the updated San Andreas have any changes to the visuals(more like the PS2 version)? The PS2 version has an overly orange image, and stronger sun glare effects. I've read that the original PC version needs some fiddling with the timecyc.dat and timecycp.dat files to get it closer to that look. The only reason I am asking is because I have Vice City and the Trails mod is an easy fix, however SA is a different beast.

Xinput support would be a godsend for VC, it is a pita to setup. Some of the buttons, and in/out of menu require the keyboard.

Noep, it onlu cut some songs introducing new crashed and bugs.

Hopefully these are just a few snafus on the road better overall version? They can't just leave one of the more beloved entries in the series in this state. But it is Rockstar, so I'm not expecting total love here.

Are you citing that Brandsmart deal I linked yesterday? Let me know how that goes.
Yeah. Someone else posted a thread about it recently and it reminded me about it. The flyer for the deal was posted as well, but it doesn't list the PC version in the picture. I feel like that just nullified any chance I had, but I could've sworn the PC version was eligible.

cicero

It is sad that this guy painted me as a sociopath and no one has really defended me though. People defend JaseC about his avatar all the time.

I'm done talking about it now. It's all up there.

I am not trying to stir things up, and I am not siding with what I feel was an overblown reaction to your comment, but sometimes some of your comments do have a fair bit of snark to them. You may find your snark to be a bit of non-serious fun on your part, something innocent and comparable to JaseC's avatar changes, some people might not take it as such when it is pointed directly at them.

For Unity coming out tomorrow sure feels like they have been pretty quiet about it compared to other AssCreeds.

wow it really comes out tomorrow? i thought it was coming out the same week as smash bros. maybe its cause I don't watch much tv these days(with the exception of key & peele and south park) that I haven't seen any ads for it cause i definitely remember a lot of ads for ac3 and 4.

For Unity coming out tomorrow sure feels like they have been pretty quiet about it compared to other AssCreeds.
All the talk from supposed devs citing the game as the real first next-gen game also sounds pretty stupid as none of the footage really look mindblowing. It's alright.

Miguel81

Being able to climb the Notre Dame Cathedral will be ace, but unfortunately I'm going to have to wait till I get my 970 early next year for a better overall experience. Enjoy it for me, ya'll(I know JaseC will).

Don't want to get involved with anything I can't finish since tomorrow will be MCC, Bayo 2, Sunset Overdrive, and Valkyria Chronicles. If only I could have one of those right now.

I'm jealous of you're time. I Am keen to continue with FF 13 and alien isolation but I'll have to be content trying to squeeze in an hour at best once I put the baby to sleep.

Also i enjoy how the steam thread it's full of general games discussion but every time i see console games listed I half expect another port to have been announced... Then I come to my senses.

The true mindblowing thing is Kinect support on One:

giphy.gif

does it really support kinect or did you just say that to post that gif? if so, whats kinect for?

Uzzy

Have you played Transistor yet? Play that.

wow it really comes out tomorrow? i thought it was coming out the same week as smash bros. maybe its cause I don't watch much tv these days(with the exception of key & peele and south park) that I haven't seen any ads for it cause i definitely remember a lot of ads for ac3 and 4.

It seems like ubisoft is releasing 2 Asscreeds at the same time and not showing confidence in either one. It's not a good look for them, given the marketing blitzes they've done for previous AC games.

Shadownet

Banned
I mean, I've done my fair share of jabs at other members (I've shit on Shadownet fifteen times in the last week), but they know it's partly in jest since I do it so badly and habitually, and I often apologize afterwards.

I can in fact confirm this to be true. I thought it was "Kirosia fuck with Shadownet week" or something.. and I still haven't gotten an apology.
:( it's okay.

Btw, if you buy AssCreed from India Origin... can you redeem the key on Uplay? I need to know.

FoneBone

So, who's gonna jump on Star Trek for $3.74?

$3.75 too much

I have too much of a backlog, but I'm sorta tempted in spite of the lousy reviews it got, mostly on account of Stump's review from last year:

All in all, I'd say that this is not a great game but it is generally fairly playable and I'd recommend it at a low price. Consider playing on easy to help minimize frustration. Be aware that you're getting Gears of War with limited platforming as opposed to Mass Effect, and be aware that it's not the Star Trek game you've always wanted but rather a third-person shooter with Star Trek characters in the Star Trek universe. I wish it was more than it is, but I'm not pissed off that I played through it. It's a significantly less stupid, better, and more engaging game than Dead Space 3 or Aliens: Colonial Marines. So, buyer beware, but I felt it was worth playing.

Have you played Transistor yet? Play that.

Yes he has, since he was randomly gifted it by some mysterious benefactor ages ago.
I wish Bruce Wayne/Batman was my mysterious benefactor. :\

Beat that ages ago man.

I was about to say.

But out of the games you're apparently getting tomorrow, only one of them actually is deserving of your attention... but I'm not going to tell you which one.

Jawmuncher

I was about to say.

But out of the games you're apparently getting tomorrow, only one of them actually is deserving of your attention... but I'm not going to tell you which one.

I might not be getting anything now since Bayo 2 is sold out at the Target I was going to use and the next closest is 70 miles away.

You could check out A Bird's Story. That game is pretty short, should tide you over until tomorrow.

I wasn't a fan of To The Moon though.
Well at least not as much as other's here, plus with that spending I don't really want to spend more.
Who knows though.

MayMay

Banned
Why did I even open the pc performance thread for ACU, Id much rather play the game than test out a million settings. Cant someone else buy the game retail and do that? lol

ViviOggi

I don't know what to start next.

I have:

Transistor (I defeated the first boss here)
Claire
Abyss Odyssey
Costume Quest 2
Ghostbusters

Shadownet said me Claire is the shortest one.
Also I catching ghosts in Ghostbusters is time-wasting, I take age to grab just one.
Transistor, easily

chronomac

I don't know what to start next.

I have:

Transistor (I defeated the first boss here)
Claire
Abyss Odyssey
Costume Quest 2
Ghostbusters

I would go with Transistor. You can sink 6-8 hours in, depending on how much you do after the final boss. It has an amazing since of style and a tweakable combat system that won't let you get bored.

Anyone into Eurotruck Sim 2? I just got this game and having a blast. I was wondering why would driving a truck all day be so fun? But after countless of great reviews, i had to try it. Glad i did. One thing that convinced me was the huge mod support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom