• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wheel of Time and Dissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssscworld.

Discworld had a great point and click game on the PS2.

Wheel of Time had a ... um, great? hmm... FPS. My favourite level was easily The Ways. The whispers and screaming from the Machin Shin were creepy as fuck. It's made worse by the fact that if you read the books it's gonna take you a long time to figure out what to do. I'll just non-spoiler it because nobody will play it: at one point following the line takes you straight into the Machin Shin, and you actually have to go off the path from the line. In the books, that's what you absolutely are not supposed to do. But hey, you get to see the Machin Shin up close and personal!

Dr Dogg

Oh, interesting. I never even considered trying it on my Surface Pro. Might have to give that a go this weekend.

Yeah I was only thinking of streaming until I read his article. Also this is something I keep hearing about.

https://gameplay.gestureworks.com/how-it-works

Which is designed for Windows 8 Touch enabled devices and works with Surface Pro's. Apparently you can buy it on Steam so I might be tempted if a sale comes around or I really find a need for it. Though now I've got a PS3 pad working over Bluetooth I'm more than happy.

Jawmuncher

I messed up and took Greed Corp thinking it was something else

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Greed Corp -- MB-E3209F6466ED170B - Taken by Coldsun

The P&C games (1, 2 and Noir) all had PC releases too, and were bril...

Oh, I never knew that. I just remember the my friend had on his PS2, or was it PS1. So long ago, I think it was PS1.

Wheel of Time had a ... um, great? hmm... FPS. My favourite level was easily The Ways. The whispers and screaming from the Machin Shin were creepy as fuck. It's made worse by the fact that if you read the books it's gonna take you a long time to figure out what to do. I'll just non-spoiler it because nobody will play it: at one point following the line takes you straight into the Machin Shin, and you actually have to go off the path from the line. In the books, that's what you absolutely are not supposed to do. But hey, you get to see the Machin Shin up close and personal!

I've had Book 1 of 'Wheel of Time' sitting there FOREVER. Maybe it's time to read it. I had no idea it had a game.

Tellaerin

So I took the plunge and dipped into the sale fund to grab Star Trek. I'll hopefully mess with it in awhile and post some impressions, if anyone's interested.

Durante

The fact that Terry Pratchett of all people got Alzheimer's is, to me, the most conclusive proof of a cold and uncaring universe.

Yeah I was only thinking of streaming until I read his article. Also this is something I keep hearing about.

https://gameplay.gestureworks.com/how-it-works

Which is designed for Windows 8 Touch enabled devices and works with Surface Pro's. Apparently you can buy it on Steam so I might be tempted if a sale comes around or I really find a need for it. Though now I've got a PS3 pad working over Bluetooth I'm more than happy.

Oh cool, I'll have to grab that during the next sale. For some games (like FTL) some people were setting up gestures in the control panel, so that's an option as well, although it may not be as robust as what Gestureworks offers.

Yeah, pretty much nobody did, like I said.

Have a let's play. This probably looked good for 1999. I thought so, anyway. It doesn't really have book spoilers since it takes place before the events of the book.

For some reason makes me want to play Gothic. Thanks for that, I had no idea and it's sort of made me interested in finally getting around to reading Book 1.

As a total aside, Wheel of Time was first introduced to me back in 1999 by my Biology Teacher of all people. This was around the time I was reading Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, and he came over and said "Oh, you want to read some REAL Fantasy like Wheel of Time..!"

Strange times.

Parsnip

Jesus GMG haven't deliver the keys yet? Whats taking them so long?

With GMG, getting in during pre-load is always a coin-flip. Sometimes they have keys well in advance, sometimes right before launch, and anything in between. I'd guess it depends largely on the publisher.

tumblr_n5urisLxj21txapaso1_500.gif

Waiting patiently.

... really?

For realsies

My father is a mechanic.
Do I really want a simulator for his daily life?

It's more of a puzzle game really, not like one of those monotonous soul-crushing bundle filling "sim" games.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Urban Trial Freestyle -- MB-0DFA7AFA638BA4F3 - Taken by dot

zkylon

zkylewd
i like dragonfall better but i'm still not quite in love how shadowrun works. can't really put my finger on it but it just feels slow and sluggish.

Transistor was a Supergiant letdown. They wanted to make Bastion 2, but lacked the conviction to actually carry through with it. The result is a conflicted game that isn't able to improve their first game's shortcomings, while also adding nothing meaningful to the mix.

As you and the other fellow say, they needed to reconsider their encounter design at the very least.

Also, I'm still upset they never added the trailer version of We All Become to their soundtrack. Blast them. It would have almost made up for how disappointing everything surrounding Transistor is.

eh, i wouldn't put it on their conviction, they just banked a lot on a flawed system that didn't measure up to carrying the game.

some things about the game are really inspired and i love games that do story rewards for gameplay "achievements" (like drakengard but less obnoxious) and obviously it looks and sounds amazing.

there's just no fun in walking around in circles just eating up damage while you wait for your juice bar to go back up. even if you install one of the power buffs that let you use that power in real time mode it's just a gimped version of yourself that you're playing and it's still too hectic and messy for you to feel like you're playing intelligently

it's really disappointing cos there was so much potential on this game, and parasite eve combat is like one of my favorite underappreciated gameplay formulas

Ozium

Hate? No.
The game isn't Strider 2014.

More like "don't agree with all the praise and love that makes it out to be a GOTY candidate". It's average, maybe good if the combat floats your boat.... but it's nothing near as special as Bastion was.

I haven't played Transistor because I didn't think Bastion was anything special at all..

Bastion is, in fact, one of the most overhyped indie games I've ever played.

Turfster

i like dragonfall better but i'm still not quite in love how shadowrun works. can't really put my finger on it but it just feels slow and sluggish.
Their system's main problem is the fact that RNGesus is an ass.
"Oh I have 99% chance to hit?" *miss*

I haven't played Transistor because I didn't think Bastion was anything special at all..

Transistor held my attention much longer than Bastion did.
(I got tired of Bastion after like the first time you've passed through the town.)

^somewhat like this.
Hate? No.
The game isn't Strider 2014.

More like "don't agree with all the praise and love that makes it out to be a GOTY candidate". It's average, maybe good if the combat floats your boat.... but it's nothing near as special as Bastion was.
Despite liking Bastion's artstyle, the gameplay bores me, I prefer Transistor's, and the skill tweaking makes it infinitely better.

Bastion's story was nothing special either.

Jadax

The reason Bastion/Transistor are so good is mainly because of the value you get from those games.

Of course if you're just not into those type of games you won't like them no matter what they cost, but for me, the story + innovative combat + music = a damn good experience for the 3k I paid for them combined.

Hmmm, seems your faith in Total Biscuit must be less than 100%, because he liked it.

^somewhat like this.

Despite liking Bastion's artstyle, the gameplay bores me, I prefer Transistor's, and the skill tweaking makes it infinitely better.

Bastion's story was nothing special either.

Bastion's story, while predictable, was solid and well told.
Transistor story is barely there and is a chore to experience.

And Bastion has just as much skill tweaking if not more.
Transistor's combat is basically a less varied version of Bastion's system that doesn't work in real time and requires the use of the turn mechanic to actually play well.

zkylon

zkylewd
i really liked bastion, it captured my imagination way more and it appealed to things i appreciate like the whole rebuilding your "town" and actual living characters and such. the narration gimmick was totally new back then so it was a thrill unlike any other.

transistor has kind of a more "hipster" story, which i actually really like too but for me doesn't resonate nearly as much and yeah, characters and world didn't work for me, you get to see so little of them by design that it feels like a wasted opportunity

really a big disappointment, probably the biggest disappointment in the whole year for me. not a game i hate but i definitely didn't enjoy myself when playing it all that much

Their system's main problem is the fact that RNGesus is an ass.
"Oh I have 99% chance to hit?" *miss*
to me it's more like interface stuff and like not being able to like equip armor wherever i want and not being able to talk to whoever i want whenever i want and such handholdy annoyances

like coming from something like wasteland 2 or dead state or divinity in which you have absolute control over everything shadowrun feels like a lite rpg

which it is, and when i played the first one i found that was ok for me but right now it's not ok for me and even if i can appreciate all the massive improvements they did in the expansion it just bores me pretty quick

but i prefer the much more rough dead state than shadowrun, it's simply a lot more appealing to me cos i find freedom to do pretty much whatever you want to be a lot more exciting

Bastion's story, while predictable, was solid and well told.
Transistor story is barely there and is a chore to experience.

And Bastion has just as much skill tweaking if not more.
Transistor's combat is basically a less varied version of Bastion's system that doesn't work in real time and requires the use of the turn mechanic to actually play well.

it's not the problem that it requires the turn based part

the problem is that it requires the real time part

also the mixing thing in transistor is really cool but the way the game is played leaves little room for you to experiment freely because of the turn thing. i really think transistor should've been a real time game just like bastion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom