• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozium

The reason Bastion/Transistor are so good is mainly because of the value you get from those games.

Of course if you're just not into those type of games you won't like them no matter what they cost, but for me, the story + innovative combat + music = a damn good experience for the 3k I paid for them combined.

Isn't any game good if you get value from it?

Also, innovative combat? We must have played different games.

Jadax

Isn't any game good if you get value from it?

Also, innovative combat? We must have played different games.

Do give an example of a game you thought had innovate combat.

Also, no, not all games are worth the value. There's a big different between a $50 game and a $20 game, no matter what way you try to spin it.

zkylon

zkylewd
"value for dollar" really shouldn't be a reason for you to think games are good or not, not only because games can be great and really expensive and really short (vanquish) just as much as free games (dota) but also cos this is pc gaming and you can easily buy everything that isn't call of duty for like <15 bucks if you have a bit of patience

you can use money to help you say if a game is worth spending money on it but quality of a game has "time" as its only worthy metric

it's either a waste of time or it isn't, in that it was genuinely fun (so no facebook soul stealing shit) and engaging in an emotional, intellectual, social or creative way

nothing else matters!

Turfster

to me it's more like interface stuff and like not being able to like equip armor wherever i want and not being able to talk to whoever i want whenever i want and such handholdy annoyances
Oh, I hear you.
The interface, inventory and useability options still need a lot of work.
I just pretend I'm playing with a really railroady GM that allows no deviations ;)

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, I hear you.
The interface, inventory and useability options still need a lot of work.
I just pretend I'm playing with a really railroady GM that allows no deviations ;)

yeah my other problem is that i really love the super nintendo shadowrun game and that one was so open. you could like shoot everyone and half the people didn't really take damage but it was still cool to be able to do it heh

i really should try and beat that one some time

that game was pretty rad

Ozium

Do give an example of a game you thought had innovate combat.

Also, no, not all games are worth the value. There's a big different between a $50 game and a $20 game, no matter what way you try to spin it.

So you're reason as to why it's innovative combat is for me to give an example of a game that I thought had innovative combat? Are you a politician?

As to your second point, "value" is an entirely subjective idea. What is valued by yourself is not valued by others. If your argument is solely based on price versus content, then the subjective nature still applies. Some people find value in buying Madden/Fifa every year, no matter what way you try to spin it.

Grief.exe

Transistor's combat is basically a less varied version of Bastion's system that doesn't work in real time and requires the use of the turn mechanic to actually play well.

Nope, the system is actually more deep than it initially lets on. One of my criticisms of the game is,how they gate abilities early,on rather than encouraging experimentation.

I actually played through the entirety of NG+ as a pure ARPG with all limiters on. Actually,had more fun that way, but it served to show the shear flexibility of the combat system.

zkylon

zkylewd
i've decided imma gonna give mgr r a second chance

this time i'm gonna play it on normal difficulty rather than hard and stop pretending i'm good at the game

i hope i can make a clean save, i wouldn't want to ruin it by having all the stuff from the end of the game

Jawmuncher

this time i'm gonna play it on normal difficulty rather than hard and stop pretending i'm good at the game

i hope i can make a clean save, i wouldn't want to ruin it by having all the stuff from the end of the game

You gotts at least play as gray fox.

Jawmuncher

gray fox requires to much points to get. never got him, didn't feel like doing it. got other games to play through

That was my goal when playing Rising.
All of my points were saved for him.
Since raiden even with his own game is still everything but a bad ass.
He was cooler in MGS2.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
So I've played Pier Solar and the Great Architects for around two hours, and I mostly like it so far. Probably the highlight of the game so far is being able to switch between graphic styles.

A13374C98940CD8A130137CBBF2B72975F17ABAC
CCE57218F4A87F4CFF5BBF3072F9069AE3AC2F83

It really shows off the work that went into the game.

Good news chummers, looks like we're going to get another Shadowrun: Returns campaign.

I really should get around to playing Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall one of these days.

Jawmuncher

OTs won't be up until the day of release.
Literally every OT for games that came out "today" are already catching up for their week behind release. Might not have been the best idea.

So I've played Pier Solar and the Great Architects for around two hours, and I mostly like it so far. Probably the highlight of the game so far is being able to switch between graphic styles.

It really shows off the work that went into the game.

I really should get around to playing Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall one of these days.
Pier Solar's high-res art needs more consistency between the environment and characters. :/

Shadowrun Returns isn't great, but Dragonfall is. If you own the former it's worth a play, but don't go out of your way to grab it now that Dragonfall is standalone.

denx

I went back to Planetside 2 after months without playing. Damn that was good fun. Tons of new toys to mess around with, and the new Hossin continent is pretty damn cool. Managed to get in a pretty organized platoon so it was fun. By the end of my play session we (Vanu) managed to lock Hossin and Esamir.

So yeah, tons of fun. Only negative I can think right now is how you have to farm out your ass to unlock stuff in the game, but it isn't much of a problem when you're having fun. Helps that the starter weapons are pretty good/decent to begin with.

I tried replaying the game on Hard but you get so much overpowered stuff and abilities towards the end of your first playthrough that playing on Hard becomes a cakewalk, taking away much of the challenge for a NG+ run.

Yes I could had played without using any of that OP stuff but my brain is wired so if I get a shiny new thing in a game I HAVE to use it. So no, I wasn't going to play the game again with vanilla Raiden.

zkylon

zkylewd
I tried replaying the game on Hard but you get so much overpowered stuff and abilities towards the end of your first playthrough that playing on Hard becomes a cakewalk, taking away much of the challenge for a NG+ run.

Yes I could had played without using any of that OP stuff but my brain is wired so if I get a shiny new thing in a game I HAVE to use it. So no, I wasn't going to play the game again with vanilla Raiden.

i don't have a problem with that but i enjoy unlocking shit and some stuff you can't really turn off like special moves and all that crap

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I have DLC questions

Skyrim: is all that shit integrated into the story and does it scale to your level, and also, will a old save be able to use it or do you need to restart?

Dishonored: does it have tutorials? I don't remember how that game plays at all

Maniac

Banned
Multiplayer Co-op was just added to The Forest, this stuck out from the patch notes.

- Slowed down tennis ball throw massively so players can play catch together on beach

http://steamcommunity.com/games/242760/announcements/detail/216498456005885636
Really? That's cool, the devs said a while back that they'd like to add it, but that they weren't sure they'd manage it prior to full release. Great. I now need someone to play catch with, though.
I have DLC questions

Skyrim: is all that shit integrated into the story and does it scale to your level, and also, will a old save be able to use it or do you need to restart?
Yup, old saves work. And it's integrated into the story to some extent. The DLC affects the "normal" world and changes some vanilla stuff, Dawnguard for example adds vampire attacks and Dawnguard patrols to most major cities, and highway patrols etc. (Vampire attacks happend all over the place; farms, towns, villages etc. Good thing there's a lot of Dawnguard folks though.)
Needless to say, the DLC is, in my opinion, actually quite nice. Especially because it adds something to the game long before you get around to playing the content specifically crafted for said DLC.

I suppose this is the best place to ask. Is there any sort of hint that Binding of Isaac Rebirth will get discounted soon? I apparently missed the cutoff date for the discount for people who own the previous one.

Shadownet

Banned
I suppose this is the best place to ask. Is there any sort of hint that Binding of Isaac Rebirth will get discounted soon? I apparently missed the cutoff date for the discount for people who own the previous one.

It will most likely get discounted during Winter Sale. as to how much? I wouldn't be able to tell you. Maybe 30%

Grief.exe

Released the other day
Top five largest Steam launch this year

Signs point to probably not, though there are some seasonal sales approaching.

Nope, the system is actually more deep than it initially lets on. One of my criticisms of the game is,how they gate abilities early,on rather than encouraging experimentation.

I actually played through the entirety of NG+ as a pure ARPG with all limiters on. Actually,had more fun that way, but it served to show the shear flexibility of the combat system.

Respectfully disagree. I've tried ARPG type gameplay with limiters and abilities and everything else. It's pure garbage as far as I'm concerned. I agree with zkylon and as far as I'm concerned it's not *meant* to be played like that.

Just like Smash Bros. was never intended to be a fighter or have a competitive scene -- doesn't mean people can't find ways to do it, and enjoy it if it's there cup of tea... but the game wasn't designed that way. And for me, most of the time, a game is about the gameplay and how well it's designed. In the case of Transistor, I think it requires that turn mechanic to work properly; Bastion does so as a great ARPG with a ton of depth and variety and Transistor is some sort of weird SRPG/ARPG hybrid that doesn't really excel at either genre.

louiedog

Transistor is some sort of weird SRPG/ARPG hybrid that doesn't really excel at either genre.

I don't know what people are trying to turn Transistor into, but the game that it actually is has a great, deep combat system with a ton of customization and variation that I thought was a lot of fun.

denx

i don't have a problem with that but i enjoy unlocking shit and some stuff you can't really turn off like special moves and all that crap

How far did you get into the game on your original run? I remember hitting a brick wall at the Blade Wolf fight, I thought I wouldn't be able to get past him. Took me more than an hour to defeat the bastard, but by the end of it I had learned (more or less) how to parry, so it was Ok in th end I guess.

--------------------------

The fact that owners of the original Binding of Isaac don't get a permanent discount for Rebirth is some bullshit as far as I'm concerned. Fortunately I'm in no hurry to get Rebirth, but I guess it must suck for people who want the game right now.

zkylon

zkylewd
How far did you get into the game on your original run? I remember hitting a brick wall at the Blade Wolf fight, I thought I wouldn't be able to get past him. Took me more than an hour to defeat the bastard, but by the end of it I had learned (more or less) how to parry, so it was Ok in th end I guess.

i beat it

i just didn't like it

i played it on hard and didn't enjoy it at all

so imma play it on normal and see how i do

It will most likely get discounted during Winter Sale. as to how much? I wouldn't be able to tell you. Maybe 30%

Released the other day
Top five largest Steam launch this year

Signs point to probably not, though there are some seasonal sales approaching.
Yeah I figured as much. I was just hoping if anyone else knew something more concrete. Thanks though!
As a last resort you could
buy a Vita and get it through PS+
Already did that, but I wanted the Steam version too.
Because $150 or whatever a Vita costs plus the PS+ sub is cheaper than $15 on steam? :p

I paid $160 for my Vita...=(
I got an 8gb memory card with it though, which seemed worth it at the time.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
If that ugly filter wasn't applied to the character sprites I'd pick the reworked version no problem.

Pier Solar's high-res art needs more consistency between the environment and characters. :/

Most of the time I've spent playing has been in the 16 bit style just because it looks way better to me. The character portraits look much better in that style too, for the most part. I can see why some people would like the new art style more, though.

The old style of music sounds better too, especially with the battle theme.

Shadowrun Returns isn't great, but Dragonfall is. If you own the former it's worth a play, but don't go out of your way to grab it now that Dragonfall is standalone.

I had bought both Returns and the DLC version of Dragonfall during the summer sale, so I own both Returns and the standalone expansion. The main problem is, like with most games that I own, that I haven't got around to playing either, as usual :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom