• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Insurgency -- MB-C8C8DD8EB5AADD9C - Taken by TheLight

So i am about to start playing Xcom for the first time .
Any tips or things i should focus on ?
Any mods you can recommend and if yes , should they be used on a first playthrough ?
Satellites, snipers, have a support unit in your squad, buy the half time unit recovery upgrade, don't rush into the fog.

Phawx

Meant to do this awhile ago, but only got around to it last night. Here's my minimalist Let's Play of Reflex (Early Access):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imXyELHNDUU

Quick Impressions:

It's basically Quake 3 arena. Even the sound effects of shooting someone with the machine gun are damn near identical. That being said, it's still fun as hell. Also I played at 2AM EST, so lobby population obviously wasn't high. The only early access parts that I could honestly tell were the item/character models. Netcode *seemed* to be pretty good. There were a few hiccups now and again, but altogether it was pretty solid.

Edit: There are definitely ways to master bunny hopping, but it wasn't gelling for me. (though this way my first time playing) There was a person I was playing against that was definitely employing this technique.

DoubleEdit: I also recorded the game at 1080p60, so I'm not sure why YouTube doesn't show that option. Sorry.

I assume the version of Blackguards in the bundle is just the standard version? Makes the BTA less appealing if so, as there's no way to upgrade to the deluxe version from the standard one.

Dr Dogg

I think I'm going to have to swap around my penciled in Steam GOTY's selections.
15743842376_a600e24613_o.png

15147593794_dcba973efd_o.png
Just look at it!!!

If the first game you listed get ported to PC, I'll buy you a copy.

Awww I appreciate the offer (and yeah fingers crossed it does come at some point) but you don't need too. Though since 2009 when I got it I've managed 29 hours and still lagging. I popped it on earlier in the year but didn't make much progress. Which is odd as I knocked out Abyss no trouble, then again that was when my 3DS got more love.

howlongtobeat says FF13 takes 50 hours just to beat it....can someone confirm the accuracy of that? I knew it was meaty, but not THAT meaty....

bah, i guess i'll have to wait for a sale in the future. thanks

there is a 25% off coupon over at GMG on top the 10% off. Not sure if it will end up on VIP in a few days.

Otherwise, whichever place you have credit in is about it...

So... I said earlier I wouldn't buy AC: Unity and I didn't. But the UPS man just dropped off a copy of the game at my doorstep. Seems someone thought I'd like it. Probably my Mom as she also bought AC: Blackflag for me. Time to install this thing and experience the buggy mess myself.

ViviOggi

Yoooo
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Always Sometimes Monsters -- MB-AB8923C1EC67E36B - Taken by nja

Uzzy

Keep that convoy trucking, cross the EU.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Uzzy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 -- MB-C6E858CC4D1D8893 - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 9 entrants total.

t1415738540z1.png

Hugstable

Banned
Good luck to whoever wins, its a good game.

ModBot said:

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Hugstable, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Valkyria Chronicles -- MB-9826FD8BA52E823A - Taken by Catshade. 76 entrants total.

t1415748380z1.png

AHA-Lambda

Urgh, reading the reviews for Unity, I have to say as one of the 12 people who gave a shit about the metastory of AC, I am fucking sick of how the series has been shitting over the lore since 3.

Unity looks no better in this regard from what I'm reading -_-

Think I might just sell my Nvidia promo code.

Dr Dogg

It is taunting me right now from home while I am stuck at work just looking at screens of it...

If it's any consolation it looks way better in motion.

Yup. It's very quickly forcing it's way into my top 5.

Considering 2014 has been the year of Japanese Late Ports I wont be surprised if they make up my selection of 5. I mean RE4 is pretty much assured, Rising and Valkyria Chronicles are looking to fit in somewhere and Ground Zeroes will do as well, even if the port is only acceptable. Watch_Doggies looks like it's got some competition for the last spot.

howlongtobeat says FF13 takes 50 hours just to beat it....can someone confirm the accuracy of that? I knew it was meaty, but not THAT meaty....

I took 39 hours... over 3 years! I did do about half the side quests you get later on. You could do it in 35 I reckon but really for the home stretch you don't want to be underleveled as some of the bosses can be brutal if you don't have some key skills/abilities.

Tellaerin

Went into the Star Trek game with low expectations, and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would. It's a competently put together third person cover shooter that does a nice job of capturing the feel of the Abramsverse Trek movies. In addition to the cover shooting mechanics, you also have a tricorder you can use to scan the environment for clues and info or display a waypoint to your next objective. There's an upgrade system where you can use xp earned from scanning things to upgrade your phaser and tricorder, giving them different abilities (like healing your partner or buffing his shields, temporarily disabling an enemy's weapons, etc.) Both characters have the same tricorder upgrades to choose from, but each has a unique selection of phaser upgrades, which does a nice job of individualizing them. There's some autoplatforming and light puzzle solving - none of it's particularly challenging, but it does a nice job of keeping things from feeling monotonous.

There's a strong emphasis on co-op play - you can choose to play as either Kirk or Spock, and either a second player or the computer controls the one you're not playing. You'll frequently run into situations where they'll have to work together to get past an obstacle - one character deactivating a panel at the right moment to expose a target the other character needs to shoot, or each of them manipulating a waveform on an oscilloscope-type display to synchronize frequencies. The AI handles partner duties competently, and I'm definitely having fun playing through it solo, but I imagine I'd enjoy it even more if I was co-oping with someone else. I think that was a smart design choice - the Kirk/Spock dynamic has always been at the heart of Trek, and the game does a nice job of capturing that in game form. The trademark Kirk/Spock banter is present and accounted for, voiced by Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto. The other NuTrek actors voice their characters in the game as well, which I thought was a nice touch. The voice work's pretty solid - the actors weren't just mailing it in for a quick paycheck, as sometimes happens with tie-in games. The story's intriguing so far - it's interesting seeing the Abramsverse take on a fan favorite race from classic Trek. : )

Overall, if you're interested in a decent sci-fi third person shooter with some action/adventure bits, I'd say you could do worse for $3.75. If you're a fan of the Abrams Trek movies, it's definitely worth grabbing at that price.

New or old? I spent an hour of my life typing these bastards in the other day to get half of then go 'Ehh EHH Expired!'

If you want to keep up on the latest BL2 and TPS Shift codes, this page does a good job of collecting them as they drop and posting them in one place: https://www.facebook.com/Borderlands2ShiftCodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom