• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenrius

So I had some friends over and we started Killer Is Dead for a couple of laughs.

Episode 4, "The Man Who Stole the Moon".

You actually go to the Moon. There's a mansion there. The main character says at one point: "There's no oxygen. Why am I not dead?"

This game is all right. If only the repetitive button mashing gameplay was a bit better.

Jawmuncher

So I bought DreadOut during the recent Halloween sale and decided to play it earlier today.

For those that don't know about it, DreadOut is a survival horror game focusing on Indonesian folklore. For all intents and purposes, it's an Early Access game; the game currently consists of only Act I (though there is a unique prologue demo available), with Act II and a Free Roam mode eventually being released later on. Act II will be free for anyone that's already bought the game, so there's that. But it's important to keep in mind that the game really isn't finished yet. What's already there is mostly good, though. If you liked the era of early to mid 2000's PS2 survival horror games, you'll probably find something to like about DreadOut, if only due to nostalgia.

The gameplay will be familiar to you if you've ever played any of the Fatal Frame games. The silent main character, Linda, uses a smartphone to battle, and sometimes see, different spirits. Most of the game's combat segments are easy, except for one. For the sake of spoilers, I won't go to into too much detail, but until you figure out the trick to beating this specific spirit, you'll get to enjoy the frustrations joys of stun locking and dying repeatedly. That was probably the worst part of the game for me. Worst part is that the fight becomes trivial once you figure out what to do. Other functions of the phone include acting as a flashlight, which really helps at times, and acting as a means to solve a few puzzles. And by a few, I mean that there are like two puzzles that you really need to use it to progress in the game and the rest are achievement based puzzles. It really helps to explore every inch of the areas you're in, especially in the early portion of the game, because there are multiple collectibles to pick up, ranging from memos to random items that increase your health and stamina.

The game's story feels like it could have been, and still could be, fleshed out more. It's a very bare bones setup that's basically just there to get you to the spooky segments. You meet Linda, her best friend Ira, her other friends, and her teacher, they take a wrong turn, end up by a collapsed bridge, and decide that it's a great idea to explore an abandoned town and school. Like most of the problems with the game, this can be explained by the low budget the developers had to work with, so hopefully Act II ends up being more polished. The back story feels a little underdeveloped as well, but still works. The spirits infesting the town and school were given enough background to keep me interested. A few journals and newspapers strewn around the game world give insight into what happened to the town, and I'm hoping that it's expanded upon in the second half of the game.

DreadOut ends up being two main areas, one of which has both a day time and night time variant. Most people probably won't even realize that the first area, the abandoned town, is actually filled with secrets and collectibles. Most people probably didn't even realize that you could backtrack to the start of the game and encounter a few hostile spirits in the darkness along road through the town, or that collecting some medals could lead to another battle entirely. And that's something that I personally love in games, but I can see people not be aware of this and completely missing it, detracting from the game's already short length. The school also houses multiple secrets that you might miss unless you thoroughly explore it and take pictures of anything that looks interesting.

Like I mentioned earlier, it feels like a PS2 game. It really looks like one, too. Despite having mainly low res textures, there's a lot of detail put into the environment. There are entire areas that you could miss unless you really explore, which are usually filled with miscellaneous objects like posters, and the game surprisingly doesn't reuse too many models. Most of the living character models look decent, other than some of their animations. The spirit models range from looking (click only if you don't mind enemy spoilers) fucking rad to just plain silly. That being said, most of them look pretty decent, and there's a greater variety of spirits than I thought there would be. It also has butts. Lots of butts right in the view of the camera for no reason. It's actually sort of creepy how butt-centric the game is. Three of those links were promo shots from the Steam store, of course.

The game's sound design is mostly good. I'm not really a fan of the voice acting in the game, but I guess it's decent. The background noises and music, however, are probably the strongest parts of the game. You'll often encounter strange sounds and have no idea where they came from just while walking around. Audio cues can be immensely helpful during encounters with the spirits. Some of the background music can be unnerving at times, often playing at just the right moment when you turn down one of the school's dark hallways. It's all very atmospheric and helps to make the game really enjoyable despite its flaws. I can't find any of the more atmospheric BGM, so here's the official soundtrack that starts with a strangely out of place and catchy song instead.

Honestly, DreadOut is one of those horror games that isn't scary to me. In that respect, it's like the older Silent Hill games. It tends to be more unsettling and interesting, with a few moments of terror here and there. And, just like the old Silent Hill games, that's why the game's atmosphere is so good and why the second act seems so promising. It certainly doesn't measure up to Silent Hill 1, 2, or 3, but it's still good. DreadOut tends to focus on a sense of, well, dread and tension that plays with your expectations. Sometimes I found that I was expecting something to happen when nothing did. Other times I wasn't really expecting anything and suddenly there was this thing walking towards me. Like I already mentioned, the random background sounds add to the feel of tension. DreadOut is just one of those games where playing in a darkened room with headphones really adds to the experience.

I'm convinced that most of the flaws can be traced back to its limited budget. Hopefully the second act is as long or longer than the first act (which I think would take anywhere between two to three hours for most people to finish), and continues to build on the game's strengths while improving on its weaknesses. As it is right now, I think that it's still a good game, even with its short length and flaws.

Thanks for the write up.
Sounds right up my alley. Jank and all.

Teeth

Man, Ballpoint Universe has some of the worst platforming controls I've ever experienced. Who thought it was a good idea to have your character bounce when you touch the ground after a jump? Or have zero-to-super-fast movement acceleration? Or having your character bounce uncontrollably off walls? Or have platforms you're supposed to jump to move out of frame when you jump?

And this aimless level design. I really wanted to like this game but it's totally amateur hour.

yuraya

So every time I try and accept a trade on steam, I get this message:

Hmm. Maybe the person you are trading with got banned from trading after he sent you a trade offer?

Or one of your inventories isn't set (got set) to non public after the trade offer?

Maybe item is gone from their inventory?

Turfster

Man, Ballpoint Universe has some of the worst platforming controls I've ever experienced. Who thought it was a good idea to have your character bounce when you touch the ground after a jump? Or have zero-to-super-fast movement acceleration? Or having your character bounce uncontrollably off walls? Or have platforms you're supposed to jump to move out of frame when you jump?

And this aimless level design. I really wanted to like this game but it's totally amateur hour.

The sidescrolling shooter, which is the biggest part of the gameplay, is even worse

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Try using browser? or try it later. it happens to me sometimes too.

Thanks, that worked wonderfully.

If you're logged into a browser, trading with client sometimes would produce errors.

I see, that is quite irritating.

Hmm. Maybe the person you are trading with got banned from trading after he sent you a trade offer?

Or one of your inventories isn't set (got set) to non public after the trade offer?

Maybe item is gone from their inventory?

No, they are still unbanned. Since using my browser worked, it might be the glitch that Atraveller mentioned however.

Teeth

The sidescrolling shooter, which is the biggest part of the gameplay, is even worse

Oh, I've been through 15 of them already. I've played them with a mouse, which gives them a completely unique feel.

The design decision to make auto-activating melee weapons and weak, slow-fire guns creates numerous design compromises and problems, but the levels were easy enough to be inoffensive.

That said, the enemy patterns and encounter design is horribly amateurish. Having waves of static blob enemies mixed with one-shot-collision death environmental hazards that pop in from the edges is just....what the fuck were the devs thinking? Enemy explosions covering your sprite with the exact same silhouette, color pattern and grading of standard environmental hazards littering the screen during hectic moments are also another highlight.

The just, time sink, gameplay-free, thoughtless upgrade system and into/out of the screen "platforming" screams that this game was made by people who probably really love games but have no idea what makes them good.

A waste of a brilliant art style concept.

How strange / weird is that Hatoful boyfrienddo game? Yeah, I play VN's (just recently finished Grisaia) but I don't venture into the genre that much. Some VN's surely delve deep into cringe-worthy, creep factor levels of gameplay that I had to stop playing them.

I can't buy it today or the near future, but I may delve into that come Winter sale.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles would this be possible to add to enhanced steam, I preorder games often sometimes months in advance especially now as games keep getting locked on release but I always forget to preload them.

I've always wondered why steam doesnt have a popup to let you know a game you preordered can be preloaded. Is it even possible to add such a feature?

This would be a handy feature of the Steam client, but I don't think it's really anything I can do with a browser extension. :(

Add it to the list of things I wish I could add to the client if I worked at Valve.

Shadownet

Banned
I can't buy it today or the near future, but I may delve into that come Winter sale.

yeah it might be 60%+ off in winter. Also.
stewie-wheres-my-money.jpg
I'm kidding, I always wanted to use that.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
How strange / weird is that Hatoful boyfrienddo game? Yeah, I play VN's (just recently finished Grisaia) but I don't venture into the genre that much. Some VN's surely delve deep into cringe-worthy, creep factor levels of gameplay that I had to stop playing them.

It gets super weird. It ends up being this strange satirical deconstruction of dating sims and it's amazing.

luiztfc

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (luiztfc, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Torchligh II -- MB-9E20B17F0F52D3DD - Taken by pupo. 15 entrants total.

t1415081005z1.png

Good luck to all.

Ozium

I'm not really a fan of VN but I'm a fan of weirdness and hatoful boyfriend is awesome...

Shadownet

Banned
I just watched Avengers again today. Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye is so underrated. HIs action scenes are pretty awesome despite not having any power. (Romanov too)

Ozium

soon

tumblr_inline_nehnpyzZcz1rq0wgw.jpg

I just watched Avengers again today. Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye is so underrated. HIs action scenes are pretty awesome despite not having any power. (Romanov too)

the one thing I found disappointing about The Winter Soldier was the lack of Hawkeye...

Shadownet

Banned
soon
the one thing I found disappointing about The Winter Soldier was the lack of Hawkeye...
WTF is that?

Also, Black Widow and Hawkeye need a movie together. I would be happy if Hawkeye has a solo movie. It could be more stealth action than all out brawl like the Avengers was. Since he and Black Widow were trained more as spies.

yeah it might be 60%+ off in winter. Also.
I'm kidding, I always wanted to use that.
That's a fine discount for winter but for today we wait. Can't really afford to spend anything on non-basic necessities.
Jokes are half meant right :(
It gets super weird. It ends up being this strange satirical deconstruction of dating sims and it's amazing.
I'm not really a fan of VN but I'm a fan of weirdness and hatoful boyfriend is awesome...
Some VN's pretty much scarred me for life but reading the keyword "satire" being up there makes me a bit curious and tempted to play it.

WTF is that?

Also, Black Widow and Hawkeye need a movie together. I would be happy if Hawkeye has a solo movie. It could be more stealth action than all out brawl like the Avengers was. Since he and Black Widow were trained more as spies.

Black Widow had a bigger role in the Captain America sequel than she did in the Avengers movie, and actually got to show off the Widow's Bites, or Stings, or whatever they were called. Would have been nice if they threw Hawkeye a similar bone. I guess it would be too much to ask for them to give him the old-school H mask or at the very least the purple sunglasses.

Shadownet

Banned
Black Widow had a bigger role in the Captain America sequel than she did in the Avengers movie, and actually got to show off the Widow's Bites, or Stings, or whatever they were called. Would have been nice if they threw Hawkeye a similar bone. I guess it would be too much to ask for them to give him the old-school H mask or at the very least the purple sunglasses.

I think the H mask would look silly as hell. But they did give him purple sunglasses.
He just wasn't wearing it in the movie. Though hopefully he will in the future. Maybe the glasses have some special tech in it.

I think the H mask would look silly as hell. But they did give him purple sunglasses.
He just wasn't wearing it in the movie. Though hopefully he will in the future. Maybe the glasses have some special tech in it.

Oh, interesting. Why would they leave that out of the movie, I wonder? Speaking of tech, they really could have let him use a trick arrow. Well, we'll see what happens in Age of Ultron, I suppose.

Shadownet

Banned
Oh, interesting. Why would they leave that out of the movie, I wonder? Speaking of tech, they really could have let him use a trick arrow. Well, we'll see what happens in Age of Ultron, I suppose.

I guess it was to better portray Renner's emotions. If I remember correctly the only arrows he used in Avengers was standard, exploding, knock-out smoke, taser, grappling and some kind of computer hacking arrow.

I would love to see boxing glove arrow but it has to somehow be realistic. Maybe it would be like an air bag shaped fist expanding before it hit the target. Use for non-lethal.

zkylon

zkylewd
risk of rain is really fun but it's really hard to lose sight of yourself in local coop

i wonder why they didn't add a simple arrow indicator or something

I guess it was to better portray Renner's emotions. If I remember correctly the only arrows he used in Avengers was standard, exploding, knock-out smoke, taser, grappling and some kind of computer hacking arrow.

I would love to see boxing glove arrow but it has to somehow be realistic. Maybe it would be like an air bag shaped fist expanding before it hit the target. Use for non-lethal.

If you're referring to the comics, he also had acid, glue, freeze, net, and especially the sonic/banshee arrows. Why you'd need to incapacite someone more than one different way is kinda beyond me though. Rule of Cool.

But this is way OT.

Shadownet

Banned
Rule of Cool.
But this is way OT.

Yes the Rule of Cool. what make us geeks sleep soundly at night.

oh right Steam games.. yay.

Kotaku just posted an article today about some artist who drew what he think AC in Japan should look like.

It just make me sad we still don't have one yet, and for those of you who says thank god because Japan is overused. Come on, when was the last time we had a good assassin game set in Feudal Japan, Meiji even.

I just want one set in Egypt, Japan or any asian settings.

It just make me sad we still don't have one yet, and for those of you who says thank god because Japan is overused. Come on, when was the last time we had a good assassin game set in Feudal Japan, Meiji even.

I just want one set in Egypt, Japan or any asian settings.

Maybe the reason why is because they don't want to feature asian protagonist? I dunno, I just pulled that one out of my ass.

As much as I love Japan culture and setting for AC series, I also think it's rather predictable. Egypt is quite an interesting choice but I don't think there's enough buildings to jump around and the color scheme would be so brown similar to Damascus from AC1.

Renaissance is still my favorite setting for AC :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom