• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't this basically what FROM did for DS2 : SotFS?

No.

FROM did not give free upgrades to anyone.
FROM offered a tiered discount for the upgrade, which -- while some were unhappy with it and wanted it for free -- was ultimately fair to all buyers of the previous released content.

Own nothing? Full price.
Own DS2 DX9 edition? Get $10 off.
Own DS2 DX9 + all DLC (through SP or individual purchase)? Get $25 off.

*Note: my numbers on this might be wrong, but I know it was $20 if you owned everything, as that's what I paid for the upgrade. I think it launched at $49.99.

Nordic on the other hand said "we wanted to give it to the people who own everything for free, but due to TECHNICAL REASONS we cannot, so only people who bought this franchise pack from Steam at some point in the past and have it activated when the game goes live will get it free".

So to compare...

On Steam:
Own nothing? Full price.
Own Darksiders 2? $6
Own Darksiders 2 + Season Pass? $6
Bought Darksiders Franchise pack on Amazon and received individual codes for everything but the soundtrack? $6
Own everything in the "Franchise Pack" oustide of the soundtrack cause you pieced it together over the last few years during sales or at launch or whatever? $6
Bought the DARKSIDERS FRANCHISE PACK on Steam, and only on Steam, so you own the one particular sub on your account? Free.

Contrastingly, on GOG:
Own the 3 purchasable Darksiders games? Free.

Basically, they are unfairly rewarding people who adopted the game late, most likely during a Steam sale, once the franchise pack existed while the people who supported the franchise and had no reason to pick up the franchise pack by the time it was created are shafted and expected to pay.

from what i gather it is, so ppl got a reason to be salty

Well, you apparently gathered wrong.
Try again. ;)

And I still don't think there was that much "to be salty" over with the way FROM handled it. But that's neither here nor there with regards to Nordic and DS2DE.

M.D

Not sure if I should wait a couple of days or pre-order Fallout 4 from Funstock Digital.. dunno if there's going to be a better deal than $44

I already have the game applied with the coupon in my basket. I imagine that if they're going to raise the price it's going to update in the basket as well

Yay, got my Black Ops 3 key from GMG, pre-loading now. Seems to include Nuketown, thought it wouldn't

Here's the answer to everyone's question about GMG.

And everyone *assumed* it wouldn't for some reason, due to the GAME.co.uk thing or whatever... but it seems their codes are just as good (unless they ran out to their local GAME shops and bought every one of them out. :lol).

Blops 3 bought, who wants to do hot campaign coop?

Campaign co-op? Gross.

Red Hood

Banned
My first giveaway through ModBot. How can I add a picture that links directly to the Lucius Steam page? Something like this:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1132535.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Red Hood, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Lucius -- MB-FD829E31ACC32C7A - Taken by internetwolf. 3 entrants total.

t1446763924z1.png

Kriken

And everyone *assumed* it wouldn't for some reason, due to the GAME.co.uk thing or whatever... but it seems their codes are just as good (unless they ran out to their local GAME shops and bought every one of them out. :lol).

I bought it thinking I'd have to wait until tomorrow to download and no Nuketown, so I'm cool with it

MUnited83

For you.

Campaign co-op? Gross.
The GAME.co.UK never had anything to do with GMG at all, since the exclusivity is only for physical copies, not digital.

iosefe

?

shows 44% off gta5 for me? 33 usd

i guess that's true but the whole process just sounded silly to me

big Banner at the top says 40 for GTA, but is actually only 33% for gtav and the 40 is for the Shark Card

they dind't listen becasue UK courts said such ads are misleading and thus not allowed, though that specific one was in reference to the SUmmer Sale ad

but the idea is the same

EDIT: i see it is actually for the bundle, not just shark card. but it's still silly that the 40 is for bundle and not the basic

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It appears that Nordic is now deleting threads from the new discussion boards of people asking why they didn't get the free upgrade or asking them to "fix" it because they already owned all the DLC and didn't get it for free.

keepsondigging.gif

The GAME.co.UK never had anything to do with GMG at all, since the exclusivity is only for physical copies, not digital.

Correct, but there was definitely confusion over which retailers would give the nuketown map with pre-order. Nabs cancelled his preorder with GMG because he thought he wouldn't get the Nuketown map from it.

Granted, I only know what I see mentioned in this thread regarding it, but there was definitely confusion on whether or note GMG pre-orders would contain it and I believe those posts were made before lashbot linked to the stuff about the exclusivity for GAME.co.uk being limited to physical.

Jawmuncher

It appears that Nordic is now deleting threads from the new discussion boards of people asking why they didn't get the free upgrade or asking them to "fix" it because they already owned all the DLC and didn't get it for free.

keepsondigging.gif

Hopefully those reviews stay negative.

Tizoc

keepsondigging.gif

I think the only DLC I don't have is the soundtrack and maybe weapon DLC, still if someone ended up getting the games not through the franchise pack, they should still be eligable for the free upgrade.
That or 90% discount :V

Haunted

Darksiders 2 did a lot of things right, but somehow they didn't manage to pull it all off into a cohesive, fun whole. Particularly pacing, quest design and the extremely frontloaded structure left a bad impression and ultimately made the game a chore to complete, even with the solid combat and loot system.

The same kind of problems Kingdom of Amalur had.

Saltiness justified.

Well, there, sure.

But I meant regarding the original "upgrade" program.
Furthermore, at some point, they had the upgrade for a whole $6 during the last sale or something. I remember this because I paypal'ed funds to a GAFer who didn't have money to spare just so he could go get it because I know how much he loved DS2 and thought it would be a great way for him to re-experience the game.

keepsondigging.gif

Bwahahaha. The bigger the PR nightmare here the better.

The discount doesn't matter because no one in their right mind should want to purchase or play Darksiders 2

Opinions! How do they work?!

Hopefully those reviews stay negative.

I'm doing the "jshackles" approach right now -- though I probably won't bother refunding a $6 game, so my review will stay there.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yup. So fuck that.

Still waiting on a decent deal for SotFS.
yup, fuck that

Well, you apparently gathered wrong.
Try again. ;)

And I still don't think there was that much "to be salty" over with the way FROM handled it. But that's neither here nor there with regards to Nordic and DS2DE.
not gonna bother with arguing darksiders cos i don't like those games so haven't bothered doing more than a superficial read of the situation, but in dks2 the biggest fans that preordered the game and the season pass got screwed by being offered a really shitty deal

specially on pc where it's not like it's a different disc for a different console or whatever.

edit: i moved on with my life and just didn't buy it, but it was a shitty deal for ppl that gave from their loev

untitled2o3s8v.png

3tsof.jpg

Had to channel some LORD, I know he would be proud.

lol

Tizoc

As much as I'd like to jump in on BLOPS 3, I'd much rather get it on PS4 to play with my brother.
Thing is he's not interested in the game atm :p

By the by though I hadn't touched my PS4 ina while especially during this night shift :V

Phinor

Thanks for the update, got my key too! How do you know if you have it? I see Zombies in my DLC tab, is that it?

I have in my DLC tab the following items:

• Campaign
  • Multiplayer
  • NUK3TOWN Bonus Map
  • Zombies

Not GMG copy. So pretty easy to check if your copy has Nuketown.

No one assumed that. Everyone knew because GMG said so. They said it multiple times, confirmed over and over again that their copies will not have Nuketown bonus map.

Teggy

Nordic should have seen this coming a mile away. Really dumb. They even had a chance to fix it after seeing the reaction to the announcement.

MUnited83

For you.
Correct, but there was definitely confusion over which retailers would give the nuketown map with pre-order. Nabs cancelled his preorder with GMG because he thought he wouldn't get the Nuketown map from it.

Granted, I only know what I see mentioned in this thread regarding it, but there was definitely confusion on whether or note GMG pre-orders would contain it and I believe those posts were made before lashbot linked to the stuff about the exclusivity for GAME.co.uk being limited to physical.
Well, GMG themselves said it wouldn't include Nuketown. Likely because they come from a grey market source that couldnt outright guarantee a key, so GMG just said it wouldn't as to prevent refunds if it didn't.

Vlad

Just to shift gears a bit, I need to vent about Starship Rubicon.

At this point, there really do seem to be a lot of smaller games that have a really good concept and just can't seem to capitalize on it. After being kind of underwhelmed by Luftrausers and seeing some of the praise floating around for Rubicon, I figured I'd give that a shot, since there are some similarities between the two titles.

Starship Rubicon is a roguelike that reminds me of what Asteroids would be like if you played it with a mouse. Your ship always points towards the cursor, left click fires, right click thrusts, shift for a speed boost, space bar for any special abilities. Nice and clean and simple, and it does control nicely once you get a feel for it. Even better is that your shields don't work while you're firing, so you have to time your shots so as not to take hits while you're returning fire.

The game is set up a little bit like FTL. You move from node to node on a system map, kill everything at that node, collect money, then move to the next one. Unlike FTL, you're limited in which nodes you can move to. You can only move in the general direction of the boss of that system, so you can't hang out in the system and really rake in the money.

Now, maybe I've been a bit spoiled. I haven't played many roguelikes, but the ones I have played (FTL, Binding of Isaac, Risk of Rain) have had more than enough variables to make each run somewhat unique. Rubicon, however, kind of starts to feel the same after a few runs. Sure, the enemy assortment is different in each area, but all the bosses are the same each time (and there aren't that many of them), and while you can customize your ship, you never really get enough money or opportunities to really make the ship all that different from the starting layout.

Still, the customization you can do is really clever. Once you go into the hangar, you get a grid view of your ship, like one would expect, but actually laying out your ship can be a puzzle in and of itself. Each part takes up a certain number of squares and is in a certain shape. While there aren't some of the limitations that you would expect (weapons just have to be anywhere in the grid, and don't even have to be facing forward, but they'll always fire from the same spot on the front of the ship), but you can't place weapons or special abilities next to each other. You can put things like armor, cooling systems, or weapon augmentations adjacent to the main systems, though. Additionally, you get a bonus for keeping your ship symmetrical when it comes to what parts of the grid are used, so I ended up having a good bit of fun just trying to lay out the ship just right given the parts I had.

There's some good bones to a game here, and I certainly don't regret spending the $2 and change on BundleStars to get this and a few other things, but I find myself more disappointed in the missed potential than anything else.

SSPssp

I have in my DLC tab the following items:

• Campaign
  • Multiplayer
  • NUK3TOWN Bonus Map
  • Zombies

Not GMG copy. So pretty easy to check if your copy has Nuketown.

No one assumed that. Everyone knew because GMG said so. They said it multiple times, confirmed over and over again that their copies will not have Nuketown bonus map.

Yeah, mine's GMG. I guess they had some digital copies but took some from retail boxes. They probably gave those of us who took advantage of the 50% off glitch retail.

I think I've developed carpel tunnel in the last few months. Just resting my arm/wrist on the table is really hurting.

Time to go see a doctor!

Lomax

It's funny, the Darksiders release still hasn't made it into the "popular new releases" page on Steam, so it's clear that basically no one is buying it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Well, GMG themselves said it wouldn't include Nuketown. Likely because they come from a grey market source that couldnt outright guarantee a key, so GMG just said it wouldn't as to prevent refunds if it didn't.

Yeah, that GMG was selling the game at a 33% discount strongly suggests it wouldn't be receiving its keys from Acti. If it did, however, then it paid 3% per copy and I doubt the promotion brought in enough new customers to justify the expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom