• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Conclusion. Either devs are pathetically unskilled in their own profession - for God's sake! You don't even have to make a meeting for justifying this decision. Devs themself should have just made it. A modder (!) made it in a short time! - or they were lazy. No matter what, they lost all their goodwill by me. Won't trust them anymore.

A modder doesn't have to deal with QA, like, at all.
The fact that the changes made may break something down the line shouldn't be completely ignored.
I'm very grateful for the mod, but really, people should lay off of Bamco here.
QA takes time and costs money. Spending time and money on hacks that may or may not work for your customers doesn't really strike me as something decent companies should do.
Look at Dark Souls 60fps unlock - it worked fine most of the time, unless you wanted to make that one jump or tried sliding down ladders. Hacks like these are really best left to your fans.

Ronin was garbage:

-imprecise control system: way too often when you jump, you won't land where the game shows you. This means a lot of tries and deaths only because the game decided to punish you
-no variety: you face three kind of enemies the whole game.
-no story. Really, I wouldn't know the main character is female if not by reading the game's decription on Steam store page. Oh, there's a special edition DLC for the cost of 7€ actually providing a story in the form of a comic book. Sadly in the game there's NOTHING at all.
-last level is terrible. Really.

Gunpoint was a little gem, Ronin seems like a rushed title, it lacks polishing, it lacks a plot, it lacks variety, unlock skills is way too difficult because to get one you need to complete each bonus objective in a level, and 99% of them are basically impossible to do on your first try, this means play the same level many times. Also when you get new skills, you need to fill a combo bar in order to use them. This is almost impossible, since 99% of the time you are avoiding bullets, and each time you avoid a bullet, you lose the combo.

I wanted to love Ronin, but you're right about the controls, so imprecise that it burgeons on frustrating. Gave up about halfway through.

fertygo

When a modder in his free time can figure out a way to make the game work at 60 without it breaking, then the devs were lying. I do never beleive devs didn't know how to adjust the game they made, they have full access to engine and code, to make at least similar work as the modder did. They were lazy devs and it fits damn well in this case. Even more, spreading misconceptions. Can't make me beleive the team would have had to put ungodly hours into fixing their PC port to PC standards when a freaking modder did it alone in such a short time, in his free time without having all the knowledge and easy access the actual damn devs had.
Conclusion. Either devs are pathetically unskilled in their own profession - for God's sake! You don't even have to make a meeting for justifying this decision. Devs themself should have just made it. A modder (!) made it in a short time! - or they were lazy. No matter what, they lost all their goodwill by me. Won't trust them anymore.
I disappointed this post came fron you.. if people like Durante not even say thing like this.. why the hell you can came to this conclusion?

Even now the mods still have issue that who knows can be addressed or not

Kifimbo

So this morning, after entering my password, the "Preparing your profile" message appeared like I was connecting to my computer for the first time. And indeed, when my desktop showed up, my wallpaper was gone, the icons were scrambled on the left side, the pinned programs were gone, Firefox wasn't my default browser anymore, Steam didn't launch automatically at start-up. In other words, my settings are gone. This is happening hours after Windows 7 installed some Windows Update.

Any idea what happened ?

Ludens

Banned
I wanted to love Ronin, but you're right about the controls, so imprecise that it burgeons on frustrating. Gave up about halfway through.

I say you this:
last level, NO checkpoint. If someone shots you, you have 9 turns to complete the level and kill the boss because you start bleeding. You can take hits, and each hit will cost 1 turn. When you move, 1 turn. If dudes with machine-guns hit you, it's instadeath. If you manage to complete the whole level without being hit, you get the "good" ending (you simply survive). Otherwise, when you kill the last boss, you get the bad ending, and you die too. It's just garbage, really.

Hektor

I say you this:
last level, NO checkpoint. If someone shots you, you have 9 turns to complete the level and kill the boss because you start bleeding. You can take hits, and each hit will cost 1 turn. When you move, 1 turn. If dudes with machine-guns hit you, it's instadeath. If you manage to complete the whole level without being hit, you get the "good" ending (you simply survive). Otherwise, when you kill the last boss, you get the bad ending, and you die too. It's just garbage, really.

Your life gauge refills whenever you kill something in that mission.

Arthea

I actually more had in mind that if you plan something to run at 30 fps it'll unlikely will do good with 60, but thanks.

Indie "Yes it's Monday Again" Gale Bundle.

I'm not sure why Loot Hunter has negative reviews, unless they screwed something with late updates it's a nice little game.

and One Finger Death Punch is awesome, and Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe is good.

It's a nice bundle, unfortunately most of us have and played almost all of it.

So this morning, after entering my password, the "Preparing your profile" message appeared like I was connecting to my computer for the first time. And indeed, when my desktop showed up, my wallpaper was gone, the icons were scrambled on the left side, the pinned programs were gone, Firefox wasn't my default browser anymore, Steam didn't launch automatically at start-up. In other words, my settings are gone. This is happening hours after Windows 7 installed some Windows Update.

Any idea what happened ?

wait, which update are you talking about? I had no problems with last week's updates and I don't see any new so far.

Ludens

Banned
Your life gauge refills whenever you kill something in that mission.

Yes, I know, but the point is
if you get hit once, you are done, that's bad ending for you. You NEED to do the whole level without being hit once to see the "good" ending, and this is insane without checkpoints in the middle.

Also happy birthday rami.

derFeef

I actually more had in mind that if you plan something to run at 30 fps it'll unlikely will do good with 60, but thanks.

You don't plan FPS, you plan time with this sort of animation. It does not work like videos and let's say 2D sprite animation, where you have timing and fps in mind, with the latter one limiting the fluidness (and memory usage) of it.

Uzzy

Ronin was garbage:

-imprecise control system: way too often when you jump, you won't land where the game shows you. This means a lot of tries and deaths only because the game decided to punish you
-no variety: you face three kind of enemies the whole game.
-no story. Really, I wouldn't know the main character is female if not by reading the game's decription on Steam store page. Oh, there's a special edition DLC for the cost of 7€ actually providing a story in the form of a comic book. Sadly in the game there's NOTHING at all.
-last level is terrible. Really.

Gunpoint was a little gem, Ronin seems like a rushed title, it lacks polishing, it lacks a plot, it lacks variety, unlock skills is way too difficult because to get one you need to complete each bonus objective in a level, and 99% of them are basically impossible to do on your first try, this means play the same level many times. Also when you get new skills, you need to fill a combo bar in order to use them. This is almost impossible, since 99% of the time you are avoiding bullets, and each time you avoid a bullet, you lose the combo.

I agree with everything but your last point, but I still loved Ronin. When I figured out what the last level was trying to be, I flipped out and utterly adored it. One at times frustrating hour later when I finally beat it and got the good ending, I felt pretty damn pleased about it. And to be fair, the bad ending rather fits the story the game is aiming for.

The feeling of smashing through a glass window, smacking one guard in the face, throwing some shurikens at another guard, then slicing up a third guard all before any of them can draw a gun on you is quite special.

Arthea

When a modder in his free time can figure out a way to make the game work at 60 without it breaking, then the devs were lying. I do never beleive devs didn't know how to adjust the game they made, they have full access to engine and code, to make at least similar work as the modder did. They were lazy devs and it fits damn well in this case. Even more, spreading misconceptions. Can't make me beleive the team would have had to put ungodly hours into fixing their PC port to PC standards when a freaking modder did it alone in such a short time, in his free time without having all the knowledge and easy access the actual damn devs had.

Aren't you jumping to conclusions here?

Most here are engineers as we know, lemme give you an example. Let's say you make some engine that has a rotor supposed be spinning at optimal 30 rpm, now you suddenly decide you need 60 rpm, can it be done? Probably, at least for a short time. Will it break? Very likely. Here you go.

You don't plan FPS, you plan time with this sort of animation. It does not work like videos and let's say 2D sprite animation, where you have timing and fps in mind, with the latter one limiting the fluidness (and memory usage) of it.

I surely plan, not sure what's your point, actually.
Or do you mean ToZ animation? because yeah, they planned animations (combat ones in particularly to run at 30 fps).

There were several Security updates and one Windows update (KB3102810).

yeah, I have it installed, no problems whatsoever, I didn't lose any settings.

Arthea

Wild Samorost 3 appears on greenlight

AB88C2D9575595182C6A1F2F84B16D32CF484521

on the topic of greenlight, I get Odin Sphere vibes from this one - Loki: The stolen stone

Lain

Playing games is for chumps.

Speaking of playing games, I encountered a weird bug in Clandestine after loading my last checkpoint: Every guard in the level disappeared so I didn't get to complete the secondary mission.

Aren't you jumping to conclusions here?

Most here are engineers as we know, lemme give you an example. Let's say you make some engine that has a rotor supposed be spinning at optimal 30 rpm, now you suddenly decide you need 60 rpm, can it be done? Probably, at least for a short time. Will it break? Very likely. Here you go.

Beyond that, it's also got to do with what the scope of the project is, what project management decides is "in plan and containable", how much can be reasonably tested given the testers assigned to the project, etc.

Modders who have a desire to "fix" these things once released have none of these constraints -- they have no process to follow, no limitations set on them by person hours, project funding, etc. They simply have a desire to do that one particular thing and will focus like a laser on doing that (and possibly getting recognition for it), since there are no limitations imposed upon them, they can spend every waking hour, use every possible hack, hook, workaround, to accomplish it.

Granted, I'm talking about developing software for business needs, not specifically developing entertainment software consumed by the general sector, but the principles/limitations are very similar, I'd wager.

I disappointed this post came fron you.. if people like Durante not even say thing like this.. why the hell you can came to this conclusion?

Even now the mods still have issue that who knows can be addressed or not
[more criticism that turned out wrong, see below]
OK, so a friend took his time and explained how some framerate unlock mods actually work and how they differ from the work actual devs do. Turns out that kind of approach and work is not usual or would just not be accepted in a professional environment. And that their previous statements about framerate unlocks don't stand in correlation with modders unlock "hacks". Modders don't change stuff at the same place or way devs would have to do. So it makes much more sense now.

fantomena

Wtf is this.

Kaleinc

Banned
Is it devs who did the port? Either way blame the publisher, same as Batman AK.

Jawmuncher

I'll take responsibility for Dark Souls on PC. I told from to keep it at 30fps, since it feels better for the series. Dips included really add to the experience. Still sad the PC fanbase seems to disagree with my decision.

Arthea

I'll take responsibility for Dark Souls on PC. I told from to keep it at 30fps, since it feels better for the series. Dips included really add to the experience. Still sad the PC fanbase seems to disagree with my decision.

calling fps police as I type this, stay where you are

Lomax

A modder doesn't have to deal with QA, like, at all.
The fact that the changes made may break something down the line shouldn't be completely ignored.
I'm very grateful for the mod, but really, people should lay off of Bamco here.
QA takes time and costs money. Spending time and money on hacks that may or may not work for your customers doesn't really strike me as something decent companies should do.
Look at Dark Souls 60fps unlock - it worked fine most of the time, unless you wanted to make that one jump or tried sliding down ladders. Hacks like these are really best left to your fans.

Yeah, this gets ignored way too much. This mod "appears" to have no problems. And if it turns out that's true, maybe they will release an update. But especially in a very large game, a significant change takes massive amounts of QA. For all anyone knows, one random door somewhere won't open now, completely breaking the game at that point.

I've already alerted the authroties, and you've been reported to the cyberpolice!

I BACKTRACED IT!

Hektor

Hands away from the keyboard, chap! You have the right to remain silent! Everything you say can and will be used against you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom