• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice a lot of Steam names being racist or homophobic, bios, profile pictures, steam reviews, community hubs, basically everywhere in the open. Go into Valve games and see chats being spammed full of the same thing. (TF2 most recently)

Valve does nothing about this? It is really ugly and embarrassing.

codcapture0bsxc.png

Thank you Atraveller <3

Khronico

50 hrs into Fallout 4, my impressions:

+ Non VATS combat is much better than earlier games, I'm having a ton of fun shooting things
+ Crafting my own custom weapons is my JAM, love doing that in games
+ Settlement building is weirdly interesting and I genuinely enjoy making safe, warm, defended places to live for all these nameless NPCs
+ World is varied and really dense with places to explore. Most of my time in the game has just been wandering the commonwealth and stumbling on new places
+ Graphics are actually quite nice, definitely an improvement over previous Bethesda games
+ Enemy ai patterns are much improved from previous fallout FPS games and enemies are more interesting to fight

- Main quest is hot trash, in some ways moreso than 3
- There's no sense of progression in faction quests. Within the first 2 quests your already a Brotherhood of Steel KNIGHT. Same problem with the Minutemen
- Related to the last one: Faction questlines are super short
- There's a poverty of bespoke side quests. I've spent almost FIFTY hours and I've found a dozen or so genuine, non repeatable side quests
- Dialogue system is laughably bad (getting in and out of conversations is a PAIN), roleplaying anything other than a good guy is nearly impossible
- Companions are.... extremely dull. Haven't met a single companion (Except maybe Cait) that even held a candle to the people you meet in New Vegas
- This is very much a Gamebryo Bethesda game, and as such has all the annoying jank that previous entries did. Fortunately I haven't had any gamebreaking bugs and only one CTD, but the jank is palpable

It's a game that just absolutely captivates me for hours on end, but after every play session I get some distance and think about all of it's many, many problems, but then all I want to do is go back and play more.

Deitus

I notice a lot of Steam names being racist or homophobic, bios, profile pictures, steam reviews, community hubs, basically everywhere in the open. Go into Valve games and see chats being spammed full of the same thing. (TF2 most recently)

I imagine Valve moderation is about as good as Valve customer support (i.e. not very good).

Off topic but, it seems I found out what was wrong with most of the PS2 games I emulated. In hardware mode it ran perfect but looked horrible and software mode looked perfect but framerate problems were about.

Turns out all this time all I had to do was turn up how much CPU was actually being used in software mode. Safe to say I am pretty happy now. Even fixed problems with games that I had issues with regardless in software or hardware mode.

In other news, I should probably go back to Darkest Dungeon soon.

50 hrs into Fallout 4, my impressions:

+ Non VATS combat is much better than earlier games, I'm having a ton of fun shooting things
+ Crafting my own custom weapons is my JAM, love doing that in games
+ Settlement building is weirdly interesting and I genuinely enjoy making safe, warm, defended places to live for all these nameless NPCs
+ World is varied and really dense with places to explore. Most of my time in the game has just been wandering the commonwealth and stumbling on new places
+ Graphics are actually quite nice, definitely an improvement over previous Bethesda games
+ Enemy ai patterns are much improved from previous fallout FPS games and enemies are more interesting to fight

- Main quest is hot trash, in some ways moreso than 3
- There's no sense of progression in faction quests. Within the first 2 quests your already a Brotherhood of Steel KNIGHT. Same problem with the Minutemen
- Related to the last one: Faction questlines are super short
- There's a poverty of bespoke side quests. I've spent almost FIFTY hours and I've found a dozen or so genuine, non repeatable side quests
- Dialogue system is laughably bad (getting in and out of conversations is a PAIN), roleplaying anything other than a good guy is nearly impossible
- Companions are.... extremely dull. Haven't met a single companion (Except maybe Cait) that even held a candle to the people you meet in New Vegas
- This is very much a Gamebryo Bethesda game, and as such has all the annoying jank that previous entries did. Fortunately I haven't had any gamebreaking bugs and only one CTD, but the jank is palpable

It's a game that just absolutely captivates me for hours on end, but after every play session I get some distance and think about all of it's many, many problems, but then all I want to do is go back and play more.

Pretty much my thoughts from the first 8 hours too. Except for crafting, I hate crafting.

Durante

How?
So people were arguing over that 30 fps tied to game logic and all that for nothing?
Just because something is tied doesn't mean that you can't untie it (or at least increment it in whole steps, which might happen to be more feasible).

People often have such simplistic views of these things. "Nontrivial" doesn't mean "impossible", just like "possible" doesn't always mean "feasible". (I think the latter misconception is why companies often call things impossible that are very clearly not impossible)

ArjanN

You can report them and Valve can ban/delete them (and they do) but there's always going to be assholes making more alt accounts just to be trolls/cheats.

Arthea

so how was Klei's free weekend
it sucks I couldn't try Invisible

why is everyone playing fallout 4?

a good question

Just because something is tied doesn't mean that you can't untie it (or at least increment it in whole steps, which might happen to be more feasible).

People often have such simplistic views of these things. "Nontrivial" doesn't mean "impossible", just like "possible" doesn't always mean "feasible". (I think the latter misconception is why companies often call things impossible that are very clearly not impossible)

That's a whole lot of words, but facts remain, as battle system was made to work with 30 fps (at least that's what Bamco told us), "unlocking" totally should break it. Unless they lied, but then why?
What I mean it doesn't matter how we call it, if it breaks a game, I call it impossible, because why break a game?

I like how some people are glad about Steam HW's critical reception, because apparently this shows Valve they were on the wrong path and now they have to return making HL3 and SP games asap.

Arthea

I like how some people are glad about Steam HW's critical reception, because apparently this shows Valve they were on the wrong path and now they have to return making HL3 and SP games asap.

as ridiculous as it sounds, we should let people have at least some hope, if they want it

edited: in other news, I just noticed I hit 3.5K games.

Durante

That's a whole lot of words, but facts remain, as battle system was made to work with 30 fps (at least that's what Bamco told us), "unlocking" totally should break it. Unless they lied, but then why?
What I mean it doesn't matter how we call it, if it breaks a game, I call it impossible, because why break a game?
If something breaks, you can fix the part that breaks. Then it doesn't break any more.

It's just software, not magic. The only variable is how hard the fixing is.

As for why they "lied", I put one attempt at an explanation in my previous post. Because people don't realize the difference between "possible" and "feasible", and if you tell them that something is possible and you're still not doing it they will explode. It's easier to say that it's impossible (which of course is always a "lie", if you take a rigorous view).

why is everyone playing fallout 4?

Because it's actually fun?

Yeah, some people just said it's impossible to fix it. But honestly I didn't expect the modders to be able to 'fix' Zestiria. 30 fps was good enough for me and I actually enjoyed it a lot because the game is just flawless overall. I mean, going from Wasteland 2 to Zestiria, to Fallout 4 was such a huge gap for me, in terms of bugs and performance.

Arthea

If something breaks, you can fix the part that breaks. Then it doesn't break any more.

It's just software, not magic. The only variable is how hard the fixing is.

As for why they "lied", I put one attempt at an explanation in my previous post. Because people don't realize the difference between "possible" and "feasible", and if you tell them that something is possible and you're still not doing it they will explode. It's easier to say that it's impossible (which of course is always a "lie", if you take a rigorous view).

of course it's not magic, I never told it is, but redoing all battle animations surely isn't feasible even if possible.
I read some of discussion and some explanations are odd.
If bs is made with 30 fps, you can't run it at 60 fps without it running double speed, but that shouldn't be good for actually playing the game, so it seems it wasn't that, it's just every animation frame is doubled? If that's the case it could help with inputs even if that is rather pointless, but theoretically it's not what 60 fps means. So saying it runs at 60 fps is misleading, no?

Because it's actually fun?

not possible!

Arthea

I'm waiting for X

and playing quality steam game with a stunning portrayal of the socio-economic struggle of pixels

edit: also Captain Toad

isn't X almost month away still?

which game is that?

edited: nobody took advantage of free weekend of Klei or something?

Sober

Gamers themselves will never not be embarrassing and short of tact.

It just so happens sometimes you can find high concentrations of them.

Durante

of course it's not magic, I never told it is, but redoing all battle animations surely isn't feasible even if possible.
Animation hasn't been built in "frames" for 3D games for a very long time. All animation is interpolated, you just need to interpolate at different timesteps. What made Zestiria nontrivial is what happens with AI really rather than animation.

In any case, there's never any need to redo actual animation assets in a game which uses keyframed animation, which is almost everything post PS1 era.

Sober

Started playing Skyrim instead of hopping on the FO4 wagon but damn now I'm into it again I regret starting the quest that gives you the shouts and stuff because I just hit a good pace and I rarely use the shouts anyway.

Oh well I guess I can save all that for a modded alt start game.

MaxiLive

I've been playing Fallout 4 a fair bit and it is my first proper Fallout games as I skipped the previous ones.

So far it has been really enjoyable, the quest line and such is so-so but there has been plenty of uniquely crafted areas that have given me a smile. The combat is also enjoyable as I'm not a fan of using VATS all the time and mainly stick to standard FPS shooting which feels pretty good.

I've overwhelmed by how much there is to do/loot so I'm struggling to keep track of quest lines as I'm hopping between 4-5 different ones. I also have no idea if my gear is any good and if I should be spending more time crafting/searching for rares.

Not really struggling difficulty wise now I have some guns apart from a random quest that put me in a confined space with a Deathclaw...

I'm terrible when it comes to loot though, it is almost impossible for me to use the resources I gather just in case I might need them later in the game...

Arthea

Animation hasn't been built in "frames" for 3D games for a very long time. All animation is interpolated, you just need to interpolate at different timesteps. What made Zestiria nontrivial is what happens with AI really rather than animation.

In any case, there's never any need to redo actual animation assets in a game which uses keyframed animation, which is almost everything post PS1 era.

It's really hard for me to grasp this, as it contradicts everything I know about animation and animation planning, and I deal with it on constant basis.
Then again I have nothing to do with game development or engines and very little with 3D, so maybe I'm not aware of some things.

fantomena

I made the mistake of baning myself in hope of me not being on GAF a lot. Which is totally dumb since I can simply not be logged in and still brows the forums.

Kaleinc

Banned
I made the mistake of baning myself in hope of me not being on GAF a lot. Which is totally dumb since I can simply not be logged in and still brows the forums.
I always wondered what the point of self asked ban was when all you have to do is close the tab since everyone can read the forums.

What Hocking was working on at Valve

"At Valve, I did ship stuff," Hocking noted. "I shipped levels in Team Fortress, I got my hands dirty in Steam and looked around behind the scenes of how they manage the Steam community and how Valve reaches Valve's audience, the Steam audience, which overlaps with but is not a 1:1 correlation to the audiences of Ubisoft or any other publisher."

of course he wouldn't mention L4D3

MUnited83

For you.
Wow, it doesn't even look speed up in any way. Why would devs post about that not being possible. Game doesn't "brake" in any way! Damn liars, I even trusted their words.
The game did break in several ways when people tried on launch. It effectively broke the game, that wasn't a lie. It just turns out someone managed to find a workaround.

The game did break in several ways when people tried on launch. It effectively broke the game, that wasn't a lie. It just turns out someone managed to find a workaround.
[early uninformed criticism which turned out not correct, see down]
OK, so a friend took his time and explained how some framerate unlock mods actually work and how they differ from the work actual devs do. Turns out that kind of approach and work is not usual or would just not be accepted in a professional environment. And that their previous statements about framerate unlocks don't stand in correlation with modders unlock "hacks". Modders don't change stuff at the same place or way devs would have to do. So it makes much more sense now.

Ludens

Banned
Ronin was garbage:

-imprecise control system: way too often when you jump, you won't land where the game shows you. This means a lot of tries and deaths only because the game decided to punish you
-no variety: you face three kind of enemies the whole game.
-no story. Really, I wouldn't know the main character is female if not by reading the game's decription on Steam store page. Oh, there's a special edition DLC for the cost of 7€ actually providing a story in the form of a comic book. Sadly in the game there's NOTHING at all.
-last level is terrible. Really.

Gunpoint was a little gem, Ronin seems like a rushed title, it lacks polishing, it lacks a plot, it lacks variety, unlock skills is way too difficult because to get one you need to complete each bonus objective in a level, and 99% of them are basically impossible to do on your first try, this means play the same level many times. Also when you get new skills, you need to fill a combo bar in order to use them. This is almost impossible, since 99% of the time you are avoiding bullets, and each time you avoid a bullet, you lose the combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom