• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

Flawless SSD Marketing
But yeah I think i'll take all of your advice and just go with this route.
Though figuring out why Sims 3 crashes for her is another mystery.
ssdvs_gaming2.jpg

Zafir

Isn't part of the reason for region-locking because people in western ("more well off" countries circumventing their own regional pricing in order to get the cheaper version in another country, that was specifically cheaper to match the currency valuation for the people that live there?

Seems to me that region locking is a result of two things:
- loss of revenue from users that circumvent their own regional pricing to benefit from other countries lower prices - cutting into the profits of said company.
- wanting to prevent such circumvention, but also keep the increased sales and user base from the countries that can only afford to buy their games at a cheaper price that is more suitable to the state of that country's currency.

The reason why region-locking is a bigger thing in digital products is because circumvention of local prices is so much more prevalent and ridiculously easy to do. Due to this, it's a net lose for everyone with region locking; harder to get reduced pricing if you are in a higher priced country, and a locked game or ridiculously priced or no release of a game if you happen to be in a lower valued currency territory.

Basically, you can't expect gaming to be region free when you undermine the ability for them to sell to other countries. Either they sell to other countries and some how no one is compelled to circumvent pricing, or they region-lock everything, or they don't sell games to those poorer economies.
But the reason people circumvent it is because they don't think the game is worth the price that the game is selling for in their region.

For example, Ubisoft can fuck right off with their £50 pricing in the UK. It's no wonder GMG said screw them if they're forcing partners to charge that kind of ludicrous price.

What's more annoying is the fact that publishers want the best of both worlds. They want to take advantage of globalisation themselves(them having dev studios in places with better tax options/credits etc), but they don't want customers to be able to do the same thing.

cant wait to see all the prices increase after they become chilean pesos for me :(
My account is Canadian and all games have been purchased in Canadian funds, but I live in Chile now (for time being anyways) What happens? Do I still access Canadian prices or will it recognize I am in Chile and I pay in pesos?

Eila

My account is Canadian and all games have been purchased in Canadian funds, but I live in Chile now (for time being anyways) What happens? Do I still access Canadian prices or will it recognize I am in Chile and I pay in pesos?

Chilean pesos and your current steam wallet should turn into that as well.
It'll most likely be cheaper than canadian prices.

But for region lock to be justified, THE GAMES HAVE TO BE CHEAPER FIRST.

Ask how many people are happy with the new currency roll outs. I know I'm not.

They don't have to be cheaper, that's just silly.
They have to be priced appropriately is more accurate, at least from where I'm sitting.

Being in the US, if they lock everything down, it's good for my wallet and bad for publishers/developers who want me to buy their games. I can be patient. I can wait for most of them.

Did they ever add the online mode yet?

I don't know... did they?
Google it.

They have to be priced appropriately is more accurate, at least from where I'm sitting.

Being in the US, if they lock everything down, it's good for my wallet and bad for publishers/developers who want me to buy their games. I can be patient. I can wait for most of them.
But if the price is nearly identical to the US, would the region lock still be necessary? Or significantly more expensive yet locked to their own store? Steam's currency policy could be harmful to customers in the long run.

You guys are better than google. Well, minus you of course.

Ah word. I just remember it being delayed for a while and then I didn't hear/read about it again.

The store page doesn't list it, but some reviews talk about it. I had it installed at one point, but never had anyone I wanted to fight against, so I couldn't speak from experience.

I still haven't started Trail in the Sky FC. Huge JRPGs are such a commitment for me to make.

thank you, i try.

#BESTONVITA

They really should've made a native version of SC and ported FC over at the same time, put in trophies based on the achievements on Steam... the Vita attach rate is nuts and they'd probably get as many sales as they did for the PSP version and more.

Did they ever add the online mode yet?

I don't know... did they?
Google it.

Uh, yeah. Been a few months already...

People forgot about it already..

Jawmuncher

The store page doesn't list it, but some reviews talk about it. I had it installed at one point, but never had anyone I wanted to fight against, so I couldn't speak from experience.

#BESTONVITA

They really should've made a native version of SC and ported FC over at the same time, put in trophies based on the achievements on Steam... the Vita attach rate is nuts and they'd probably get as many sales as they did for the PSP version and more.

I hate how i cant play it through splashtop on my ipad. The controller just doesnt work right through it for some reason.

Battlefront running as well as it does while looking so stunning is amazing, Dice are wizards

Had a blast with the 4 or so hours I played today but of course longevity is the question being raised by some so who knows.

Battlefront does look really nice.

Too bad it is all wasted on an online only shooter.
Yeah, I can't believe they turned an rpg classic into an online shooter.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Battlefront running as well as it does while looking so stunning is amazing, Dice are wizards

Had a blast with the 4 or so hours I played today but of course longevity is the question being raised by some so who knows.

I don't think I even made it past like 2 hours in the beta before growing bored. Dice has sucked since BC2.

Dsyndrome

Just took out six honey badgers in Wasteland 2, all it required was three manglers, a grenade, a kickass sniper, and a pulse rifle. They don't call that the Leve L'upe Mine for nothing, and now I can get rid of Ralphy, the good for nothing that can't hit worth squat.

inm8num2

Random thought - it would be nice to be able to browse the Steam store by filtering w/ more than one tag at a time (e.g. view only games with 'adventure', 'puzzle', and 'horror' tags). That would really improve the discovery element of the store. Maybe it's already possible and I'm too dumb to figure it out.

Caerith

Random thought - it would be nice to be able to browse the Steam store by filtering w/ more than one tag at a time (e.g. view only games with 'adventure', 'puzzle', and 'horror' tags). That would really improve the discovery element of the store. Maybe it's already possible and I'm too dumb to figure it out.

You mean "show me adventure and horror at the same time" or "show me only games that are both adventure and horror"? 'Cause if the latter, that'd be nice for our libraries as well.

You mean "show me adventure and horror at the same time" or "show me only games that are both adventure and horror"? 'Cause if the latter, that'd be nice for our libraries as well.

If you have your games categorized such that categories are being used as tags, this works in search in the client, I believe.

inm8num2

The latter. Would be great for browsing the store as well as for libraries as you mention.

"I'm in the mood for a sci-fi action FPS." Go to client, filter library view to only show games that include 'sci-fi', 'action', and 'FPS' tags. That would be neat, but as posted above you can sort of set that up by using your categories as tags. Having tags filtering built-in would make it much easier, though.

tuxfool

Banned
..or DLC/expansion.
Main story campaign DLC, they would be the first to do that. Totally worth it for a page in the Guinness book of record. But seriously, I'd buy that.

Not going to happen. The first Star Wars story game in the EA deal is going to be Amy Hennig's Space Uncharted.

The latter. Would be great for browsing the store as well as for libraries as you mention.

"I'm in the mood for a sci-fi action FPS." Go to client, filter library view to only show games that include 'sci-fi', 'action', and 'FPS' tags. That would be neat, but as posted above you can sort of set that up by using your categories as tags. Having tags filtering built-in would make it much easier, though.

Except I don't agree with a lot of the tags put on certain games and really don't want them tagged as such in my client/library.

I think you can use the depressurizer tool to read tags from the store pages and assign corresponding categories within your library of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom