• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

So my sister has a pretty whack PC but I don't exactly have the money to get her a whole new one. However it works fine so I think a upgrade would suffice. Just need some help as to what exactly I could put in it.

Windows 10
Motherboard: Inspiron 530
Bios: Phoenix-awardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5700 @3.00GHz (2CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 3072MB Ram
GPU:AMD Radeon HD 5700 1GB

Was wondering what I could push the Processor, memory and GPU to.
She doesn't need anything too intensive but at least slightly better/faster then what she is getting with these specs.

inm8num2

http://blog.humblebundle.com/post/133367445643/changes-to-the-humble-mobile-bundle

Changes to the Humble Mobile Bundle

You may have noticed that we took down the “Mobile Bundle” tab at the top of our site today. That doesn’t mean mobile bundles are gone! It simply means that we’re updating the way we do mobile bundles. Instead of having a new mobile bundle every two weeks, we will be putting mobile games in more places across the site and will feature special mobile bundles throughout the year. To get your mobile fix on a more regular occasion, you’ll still be able to find mobile games in the Humble Store. We will also include mobile versions of games in other bundles such as the Humble Weekly Bundle when we can (including the current Humble Weekly Bundle: Made in Singapore, which features two Android games). If you’d like to know more about our mobile game offerings, we suggest following @humblemobile on Twitter, which we will use for upcoming mobile announcements about games in the store and in bundles.

Hinomura

no 360 for me, and it didn't look so great when i saw it tho?
It's not great. I had fun in a few stages, most of them were boring and a few of them even cringeworthy (at least to me), but I was starving for Tenchu. If you're missing Tenchu it's probably the "best" recent game you can find nowadays (tried a few of recent dumbed down Tenchu - they're terrible). Anyway I wouldn't suggest you to buy a 360 just for it; but if you're interested in Dead Rising and Tales of Vesperia (I don't think you're a Halo worshiper since you haven't the 360 yet), and maybe you'd like to be disappointed by Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (at least I was very disappointed, especially by attack-it-with-fire!-browse-infinite-menu-items-to-do-it-and-please-don't-fall-asleep-by-this-great-mix-of-plot-and-characters-and-veiny-tits-with-poor-renders-of-great-Takehiko-Inoue-art-Lost Odyssey), you can consider it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Valve should kill off all key resellers. Problem solved.

For a long time I thought they were prepping web redemption and oAuth to serve as a replacement for issuing "keys" like they do now. Maybe they're still working on it, who knows. My guess is they gave up and said "oh well fuck it we're still making loads of cash". Cases like this might make publishers demand it of them though, although Madjoki mentioned that individual keys can be region locked now without the need for different subs, so that's a step in the right direction.

Instead of being issued a key and required to redeem it on Steam, they would simply have your account on file and issue the license to you directly to your Steam account for that game. If oAuth redemption took off though, it'd be easy for a publisher (say, Activision in the case of the BLOPS controversy) to revoke the Steam API access of a particular site like GMG.

Of course in practice this would also mean higher prices all around, so as LurkerPrime mentioned, it probably wouldn't be a solution we would all be on board for.

zkylon

zkylewd
what happened to gmg?

It's not great. I had fun in a few stages, most of them were boring and a few of them even cringeworthy (at least to me), but I was starving for Tenchu. If you're missing Tenchu it's probably the "best" recent game you can find nowadays (tried a few of recent dumbed down Tenchu - they're terrible). Anyway I wouldn't suggest you to buy a 360 just for it; but if you're interested in Dead Rising and Tales of Vesperia (I don't think you're a Halo worshiper since you haven't the 360 yet), and maybe you'd like to be disappointed by Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon (at least I was very disappointed, especially by attack-it-with-fire!-browse-infinite-menu-items-to-do-it-and-please-don't-fall-asleep-by-this-great-mix-of-plot-and-characters-and-veiny-tits-with-poor-renders-of-great-Takehiko-Inoue-art-Lost Odyssey), you can consider it.
hmm i'm not necessarily against veiny tits

Was it
Sarge in the Old Guns quest
? That little fucker
died by mini nuke in close quarters in my game. Was difficult to pull off but oh so satisfying after dying like 10 times.
Nah it was at that sation that is optional for the silver shroud quest. I got the power armor that was there that activated the robot, totally cought me off guard

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
So in light of GMG's response regarding their legitimacy, I've decided to once again allow them to be featured on Enhanced Steam's pricing features. However, I'm working with IsThereAnyDeal to expand their API to allow me to exclude games from certain publishers purchased from certain sites. The end result will be that if Greenman has the lowest price on an Activision game (as they themselves have admitted they are no longer sourcing these keys directly from Activision) it will not be displayed via Enhanced Steam. But if they have the lowest price on a 2K,others,etc game it will still be shown.

building the flexibility into the api call is probably generally good as we start having more of these edge cases in the future.

r3n4ud

what happened to gmg?
They're being accused of not liking the sun.

For a long time I thought they were prepping web redemption and oAuth to serve as a replacement for issuing "keys" like they do now. Maybe they're still working on it, who knows. My guess is they gave up and said "oh well fuck it we're still making loads of cash". Cases like this might make publishers demand it of them though, although Madjoki mentioned that individual keys can be region locked now without the need for different subs, so that's a step in the right direction.

Instead of being issued a key and required to redeem it on Steam, they would simply have your account on file and issue the license to you directly to your Steam account for that game. If oAuth redemption took off though, it'd be easy for a publisher (say, Activision in the case of the BLOPS controversy) to revoke the Steam API access of a particular site like GMG.

Of course in practice this would also mean higher prices all around, so as LurkerPrime mentioned, it probably wouldn't be a solution we would all be on board for.

I imagine Valve are up to something. Lets see what the new year brings :/

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

SCHOOLGIRL STRIKERS Mashup Set

t2LXShT.jpg

Valve should kill off all key resellers. Problem solved.

Valve would probably move into monopoly territory doing that and they probably don't want the federal government stepping in to correct that stuff. I imagine it would put a lot of the weird pseudo-gambling nature of a lot of their F2P cosmetic stuff and the gray market involving high value cosmetics under scrutiny, which they really don't want.

Nzyme32

Fuck no, and let publishers have complete price control with Steam currency and region lock?

Isn't part of the reason for region-locking because people in western ("more well off" countries circumventing their own regional pricing in order to get the cheaper version in another country, that was specifically cheaper to match the currency valuation for the people that live there?

Seems to me that region locking is a result of two things:
- loss of revenue from users that circumvent their own regional pricing to benefit from other countries lower prices - cutting into the profits of said company.
- wanting to prevent such circumvention, but also keep the increased sales and user base from the countries that can only afford to buy their games at a cheaper price that is more suitable to the state of that country's currency.

The reason why region-locking is a bigger thing in digital products is because circumvention of local prices is so much more prevalent and ridiculously easy to do. Due to this, it's a net lose for everyone with region locking; harder to get reduced pricing if you are in a higher priced country, and a locked game or ridiculously priced or no release of a game if you happen to be in a lower valued currency territory.

Basically, you can't expect gaming to be region free when you undermine the ability for them to sell to other countries. Either they sell to other countries and some how no one is compelled to circumvent pricing, or they region-lock everything, or they don't sell games to those poorer economies.

Vamphuntr

Bundle leftover

ModBot said:
Instructions for Vamphuntr:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Vamphuntr, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

One Finger Death Punch -- MB-CC54E3E250F1AEAD - Taken by Pakkidis. 4 entrants total.
Pizza Express- -- MB-59AE441BBBDBAC4F - Taken by fuzzy123. 7 entrants total.
Loot Hunter -- MB-C76E6ED820513BD0 - Taken by dave is ok. 3 entrants total.

t1447724410z1.png

Hero hunt mode is kind of funny. Was huddled together with a few people and all of a sudden someone got force choked and thrown out the room and everyone scattered.

Jawmuncher

So my sister has a pretty whack PC but I don't exactly have the money to get her a whole new one. However it works fine so I think a upgrade would suffice. Just need some help as to what exactly I could put in it.

Windows 10

She doesn't need anything too intensive but at least slightly better/faster then what she is getting with these specs.

I hope someone helps you out man, you seem like a cool guy.

Does blops 3's story continue from 1&2 or can it be played without playing the earlier titles?

It can be played without playing the earlier titles (there are some references to stuff that happened in BO2 but it's nothing really important)

Windows 10

Upgrading the processor and memory (to a newer generation, like, i3 or i5 or AMD equivalent) would give that machine a pretty good boost, but it's basically building a new computer (as you'd also need a new mobo)
As others said, an SSD will give it a nice performance boost for everyday use apps. The nice thing about getting an SSD is that you aren't wasting money in an upgrade that will die with that machine.

Windows 10

What kind of games does she play regularly?
My brother had a pretty similar setup to play Dota 2, a core2duo cpu with hd 5770.
I think ram and gpu upgrade would be enough, that mobo is pretty limited in cpu options.

Nzyme32

But for region lock to be justified, THE GAMES HAVE TO BE CHEAPER FIRST.

Ask how many people are happy with the new currency roll outs. I know I'm not.

Totally agree, but that was not the state of things when they originally rolled out currencies for eastern Europe. It was only after they were exploited that games either became region locked, extortionately priced, or unavailable in those regions in larger numbers

Obviously there are some important, "traditional" exceptions, for example - even when using USD, Australia gets fucked up the arse on pricing. No idea why. That conversation with the Adobe CEO when repeatedly questioned about Australian excessive pricing vs other countries, is still one of the only videos / audio recordings that makes me so fucking livid every time.

Tektonic

Do you not understand why there is regional pricing and why a legitimate retailer wouldn't buy from one place to sell another for an extra cut on top of its own?

Yes. Although it is an antiquated concept. When the prime minister of australia is advocating the use of vpn's to get around geoblocking of content, and circumventing regional price gouging... we are in a different age

Jawmuncher

It can be played without playing the earlier titles (there are some references to stuff that happened in BO2 but it's nothing really important)

Upgrading the processor and memory (to a newer generation, like, i3 or i5 or AMD equivalent) would give that machine a pretty good boost, but it's basically building a new computer (as you'd also need a new mobo)
As others said, an SSD will give it a nice performance boost for everyday use apps. The nice thing about getting an SSD is that you aren't wasting money in an upgrade that will die with that machine.
Yeah seems a SSD would be a good idea. Just I know she likes to hold a ton of pictures so I have to see about that.

What kind of games does she play regularly?
My brother had a pretty similar setup to play Dota 2, a core2duo cpu with hd 5770.
I think ram and gpu upgrade would be enough, that mobo is pretty limited in cpu options.

Telltale Fare, Life is Strange and The Sims. She mainly just uses photoshop.

I have been on a Borderlands 2 co-op bender lately. The public community is...interesting.

Have not played Dark Souls in a while. I am going to suck when I start PVPing again.

ExoSoul

Banned
Yes. Although it is an antiquated concept. When the prime minister of australia is advocating the use of vpn's to get around geoblocking of content, and circumventing regional price gouging... we are in a different age

I wouldn't live my life by what Australia does...
:v

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Does blops 3's story continue from 1&2 or can it be played without playing the earlier titles?

Disappointingly no. It might as well have had a different title. Blops 1/2 were tied together in hilariously amazing ways and they didn't even bother to try that here. No mention of numbers at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom