• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got some good news, my brother is upgrading his PC so he's giving me a i5-3570k w/motherboard, a 7970, and 16gb of RAM. Bought to get my upgrade on brehs.

Is a 7970 better than what you have?
It sounds old... :lol

I'm rocking the i5-3570k with 16gb of RAM though -- with a good card, it's been pretty solid and can handle most everything.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
6N5cukf.jpg

Uzzy

Episode 1: What do people see in this game?
Episode 2: Oh, well, that's kinda interesting.
Episode 3: Hey, now we're talking.
Episode 4: Whoa, holy schnikes, where are they going with this?
Episode 5: Welp, that fscking sucked. What did people see in this game again?

Pretty much, though I've not played Episode 5 yet. Episode 3 and the first half of Episode 4 was some of the best gaming I've seen in years. But I'm still hopeful that the buzz around Episode 5 is wrong and I'll find it worthwhile!

Teggy

Thing is the key for contry Y costs 15% of the same key in country X, so even if you sell it at 60% off you're making a profit that you're not supposed to as a retailer.

Yeah, I mean the reason these games get made at all is because publishers get the money where they can. They can't sell $60 games in Russia because Russia's economy is in the shitter. I have no issue with regional pricing - if you want the Russian price, feel free to go live in Russia and enjoy all that that entails. I'm lucky enough to have a good job and can buy the games I want, but it wasn't all that long ago that I was a poor grad student and I simply didn't buy that many games then. I don't want to support GMG if this is how they are making their money.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Pretty much, though I've not played Episode 5 yet. Episode 3 and the first half of Episode 4 was some of the best gaming I've seen in years. But I'm still hopeful that the buzz around Episode 5 is wrong and I'll find it worthwhile!

Don't listen to the haters - just because episode 5 is subjectively the worst of the series doesn't mean it's not still a great game.

Grief.exe

I was in a Battlefront thread earlier today and I thought someone made a very good point.

Star Wars is a property that transcends video games. The property appeals to so many types of people, your uncle will want to play, your son/daughter, or girlfriend are all potential pieces of the demographic.

Asking it to have depth synonymous with Counter Strike or Unreal Tournament is absurd. The game needs to be picked up bynas wide a demographic as possible and they have to be competitive with people who have played games for years.

I've always put gameplay first, as a result shallow gameplay always puts me to sleep. I won't be playing, but I can see this value in what they are trying to do.

In other news, I got on the air with a local conservative talk show host today and debated the NSA' use of bulk data collection to catch terrorists. Ironically, about ten minutes after I got off the air, the French government released a statement that the terrorists were using encryption.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
A bad ending to the player can still hurt someone's view of the entire experience.

True, I guess it just depends on the degree of bad and how that affects your opinion of the overall experience. For me personally I was a little disappointed (but not surprised) by the way the game ended. My disappointment stemmed from the fact that a lot of the moments in the game were absolutely amazing (as Uzzy pointed out) so I was a bit miffed (along with everyone else) when they failed to capture the same magic with episode 5 as they had with the previous ones.

But even after the ending, I'm still chomping at the bit to buy the game again to get a physical copy.

Uzzy

Don't listen to the haters - just because episode 5 is subjectively the worst of the series doesn't mean it's not still a great game.

Oh, I'm very much enjoying what I've played so far. It's just hard to shake the feeling that I've seen the best of the game already. It doesn't help when everywhere I look it's 'Episode 5 sucks'. Hell, I even mentioned I was playing it to my friend who only plays aaa games and despises 'indie shit', as she puts it, and she instantly brought up how the ending sucked.

Maybe going in with low expectations will help? I don't know, I guess I'll report back after I finish it all. Might be a while though, there's the England vs France match tomorrow, then EU4 multiplayer on Wednesday. Playing games was so much easier before employment.

A bad ending to the player can still hurt someone's view of the entire experience.

True, I guess it just depends on the degree of bad and how that affects your opinion of the overall experience. For me personally I was a little disappointed (but not surprised) by the way the game ended. My disappointment stemmed from the fact that a lot of the moments in the game were absolutely amazing (as Uzzy pointed out) so I was a bit miffed (along with everyone else) when they failed to capture the same magic with episode 5 as they had with the previous ones.

But even after the ending, I'm still chomping at the bit to buy the game again to get a physical copy.

I didn't think it was great at all. It was alright and I don't regret playing through it, but it most definitely won't be on my GotY list regardless of the letdown/disappointing end to the game in episode 5. Two somewhat interesting/engaging episodes isn't enough in my book.

One thing I'm sort of curious about is how the game changes if you do things differently, but from what I was able to see/experience, it didn't feel like if I had done things a bit differently that the story/options/choices would've been dramatically different.

It's not something I'd bother to play through again for trophies, I think... definitely not something I'd pay money for, at least. Maybe several years down the road, I'd go through quickly for the trophies if it gets put on PS+... but even then, I don't know if I could be bothered. Especially since the only character I actually developed a liking of was Warren. Chloe had some moments, but then everything would 180 and I would find her annoying or stupid or getting on my nerves in some other way.

Contrastingly, I had a lot more fun with Tales from the Borderlands, even if it also had some problems in the last episode. That game lived up to the buzz this thread gave it more than LiS did, for me at least.

Purkake4

Banned
Yeah, I mean the reason these games get made at all is because publishers get the money where they can. They can't sell $60 games in Russia because Russia's economy is in the shitter. I have no issue with regional pricing - if you want the Russian price, feel free to go live in Russia and enjoy all that that entails. I'm lucky enough to have a good job and can buy the games I want, but it wasn't all that long ago that I was a poor grad student and I simply didn't buy that many games then. I don't want to support GMG if this is how they are making their money.
I can understand the rationale, but they're going to have to jump through more and more complicated hoops to keep regional pricing going. It's just not going to last with VPN becoming more and more accessible. Sooner or later they'll have to come up with some kind of a middle-of-the-road solution.

Also, it makes traveling a huge pain.

ExoSoul

Banned
If they have an agreement not to do that sure, but if no such agreeement exists, you'd be a fool not to take advantage of the global market.

Do you not understand why there is regional pricing and why a legitimate retailer wouldn't buy from one place to sell another for an extra cut on top of its own?

jshackles

So in light of GMG's response regarding their legitimacy, I've decided to once again allow them to be featured on Enhanced Steam's pricing features. However, I'm working with IsThereAnyDeal to expand their API to allow me to exclude games from certain publishers purchased from certain sites. The end result will be that if Greenman has the lowest price on an Activision game (as they themselves have admitted they are no longer sourcing these keys directly from Activision) it will not be displayed via Enhanced Steam. But if they have the lowest price on a 2K,others,etc game it will still be shown.

ArjanN

Hell, I even mentioned I was playing it to my friend who only plays aaa games and despises 'indie shit', as she puts it, and she instantly brought up how the ending sucked.

But if someone with shit opinions hates it, wouldnt that actually make it more likely it's good?

bigzgod

I can understand the rationale, but they're going to have to jump through more and more complicated hoops to keep regional pricing going. It's just not going to last with VPN becoming more and more accessible. Sooner or later they'll have to come up with some kind of a middle-of-the-road solution.

Also, it makes traveling a huge pain.

Honestly, the middle of the road solution is to run lock everything to the region it was bought from, which screws over travelers the most or if you move countries.

Right now, that's not the case. We see that prominently with Nuuvem, where although there is a purchase restriction in some case, via address check on Paypal, the keys themselves are not necessarily locked or if they are, the lock is only activation locks. Placing a run time restriction would effectively kill off regional keys.

Backlogger

Why the fuck did I buy Fallout 4?

Only you can answer that question.

I was in a Battlefront thread earlier today and I thought someone made a very good point.

Star Wars is a property that transcends video games. The property appeals to so many types of people, your uncle will want to play, your son/daughter, or girlfriend are all potential pieces of the demographic.

Asking it to have depth synonymous with Counter Strike or Unreal Tournament is absurd. The game needs to be picked up by as wide a demographic as possible and they have to be competitive with people who have played games for years.

I was talking to someone the other day that was so excited about SW Battlefront's release and I was surprised. I played the PS4 beta test and while I thought the game was entertaining I didn't feel there was much to it other than being Star Wars. Definitely nowhere near a $60 game in my book. But its Star Wars, people are going to love it no matter what.

Lomax

Of course now I'm in the mood to play Afterbirth and I'm kicking myself since I didn't utilize the discount.

I bought it even though I didn't think I'd really play it much because the discount seemed as big as we were likely to see any time soon. And I've actually ended up playing it quite a bit, now that they've ironed out some of the bumps a lot of the new stuff is pretty fun. I know I'll never put the time into it I did the original though, it's just too big at this point, so unlocking new stuff just isn't as satisfying as it was.

So in light of GMG's response regarding their legitimacy, I've decided to once again allow them to be featured on Enhanced Steam's pricing features. However, I'm working with IsThereAnyDeal to expand their API to allow me to exclude games from certain publishers purchased from certain sites. The end result will be that if Greenman has the lowest price on an Activision game (as they themselves have admitted they are no longer sourcing these keys directly from Activision) it will not be displayed via Enhanced Steam. But if they have the lowest price on a 2K,others,etc game it will still be shown.

Regardless of their source legitimacy, I don't think anyone has to worry about GMG not honoring a purchase. Heck, they honored all those accidental discounts, and gave out tons of credit and honored it for a long time. If anything, my biggest concern with them has always been that they'd just go out of business.

I think that's why a lot of people are irritated with the reddit stance on the issue. They seem fine to encourage their users to abuse price mistakes, glitches, region bending, VPNs, and the like. But then they act as if they are "protecting their users" from these sites. It seems more likely they are just protecting themselves from a backlash from users that have things go wrong. We at least know that with the enhanced steam display, you are genuinely trying to only provide the best, legitimate information.

Jawmuncher

I had my fill of talking about the ending in the spoiler thread. All in all for me, while I wasn't upset over it. I was expecting far more. It was just too
typical

Jawmuncher

More than anything else I'd just say bland.

Yeah that's it more or less. Like I said I don't knock the game for it that much, but I also don't exactly praise it because of it as well. It's still a worthwhile experience. But I feel it's best to go in with tempered expectations for the ending.

jshackles

i fought a legendary sentry bot, that shit was more dangerous than a legendary deathclaw.

Was it
Sarge in the Old Guns quest
? That little fucker
died by mini nuke in close quarters in my game. Was difficult to pull off but oh so satisfying after dying like 10 times.

ExoSoul

Banned
Was it
Sarge in the Old Guns quest
? That little fucker
died by mini nuke in close quarters in my game. Was difficult to pull off but oh so satisfying after dying like 10 times.

Expected a joke, got legit spoilers. Glad I only glanced over it.

Hinomura

Illegal (stole keys) VS Shady (cheaper regions) VS fallacy thinking (hey those 1 usd bundles with a dozen keys are great, ley's join them and become millionaire!) VS almost shady (distributor ignoring publisher instructions) VS legit.

And you can't be sure of anything (key works, but it's stolen, distributor PR says it's not authorized, but it is and there's just lack of communication, key doesn't work but it's a database / traffic / coding error).

I don't envy you, mr jshackles!

jshackles

Illegal (stole keys) VS Shady (cheaper regions) VS fallacy thinking (hey those 1 usd bundles with a dozen keys are great, ley's join them and become millionaire!) VS almost shady (distributor ignoring publisher instructions) VS legit.

And you can't be sure of anything (key works, but it's stolen, distributor PR says it's not authorized, but it is and there's just lack of communication, key doesn't work but it's a database / traffic / coding error).

I don't envy you, mr jshackles!

Yeah it's tough because I honestly want to balance people getting the best deals with people having the right kind of protections in place that overall comes together to make every (or at least most) purchases as easy as possible.

chrominance had a good post in the other thread about the different categories that different companies/platforms fall under. Unfortunately for us consumers, the end result of this will likely be more regional lockdown in the digital marketplace. Hopefully I'm wrong about that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom