• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarg

The hope you'll get some cool swag which not always pans out. Only a few companies make really cool CE.

I mean, even if it was a good statue of Lara Croft, why would you want to decorate your home with a statue of Lara Croft? The whole concept doesn't really make sense.

If you are going to include physical stuff, make it something small/ actually useful, not something that's going to sit around being an eyesore.

Lain

As I've said in that thread, it's OK for me since it's a spinoff. Except the lack of Raita. ;_;

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I didn't delve deeper into the thread about the announcement so I didn't know it was a spinoff, I was already thinking of a new VC game.
Making a RPG is cool and all but it's not why I like the Valkyria Chronicles games. Also no Raita art is a pretty big con. for me.

Dr Dogg

I've had plenty of elderly relative decorate their houses with much more distasteful and cheapy, chisney crap than what is offered in gaming CE's. Toby Jugs, spoon collections, horse brasses, porcelain figurines, model tea pots, even one old aunt who had a thing for some taxidermy. Not even close to my cup of tea but none of my business how they want to decorate their house. Some people preoccupy themselves far too much with what other people are doing that has no effect on them what so ever.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
NVIDIA unveiled a graphics card with 16GB of RAM and now I can't look my own PC in the eye

Well, well, well, NVIDIA - I guess it's show off time. While PC gamers the world over enjoy the quiet satisfaction of just about getting the Witcher 3 to keep its head above 30FPS water with their 4GB graphics cards, the video giant reveals more plans about the architecture of its new generation of Pascal GPUs, replete with 16GB of memory and capable of 1TB/s bandwidth speeds.

Pascal cards are manufactured using a new 16nm 'FinFET' manufacturing process, a considerable shift on the current 28nm process used to produce Maxwell cards that also marks the shift from 'planar' (2D, basically) transistors to 'FinFET' 3D. That should result in significant powers savings on the current NVIDIA architecture, say people much cleverer than I.

While Pascal cards will theoretically support 32GB of memory, the first wave GPUs will launch with 16GB of HBM2 memory. HMB2, in case you were wondering, is the second generation of stacked High-Bandwidth Memory produced by JEDEC. Architecturally, the 16GB model is packed with four 4GB modules, capable of 1TB/s bandwidth speeds.

There'll be multi-GPU packages for server tech too, but let's not depress ourselves even further by comparing our trusty GTX 970s to £5,000 server cards with 24GB of memory.

The tech world has known broadly about Pascal's architecture for a few months now, after NVIDIA first revealed it at GTC (the GPU Technology Conference) back in March, but they've since delved deeper into Pascal at GTC Japan.

Interestingly, AMD's upcoming new generation of GPUs is shaping up in a similar fashion - same 16nm manufacturing process and HBM2 memory standard. In fact, they've even announced that they're working on CUDA compilers for their GPUs.

Pascal's launch window is currently pencilled in for Q1/Q2 2016, so you have at least another few months to enjoy that 4GB card without feeling massively inferior. PC gaming, eh?

Lain

Eh relax, year 1 will be PS4, year 2 will be PC.

How about year 1 is PS4/PC(/X1?)? As someone reminded me, the announcement is on Famitsu so obviously it's announced as PS4 only. Would be smarter to release the game at the same time on more platforms than some time later. I mean, Sega isn't a small time indie, so they should have the resources for that.

Tizoc

How about year 1 is PS4/PC(/X1?)? As someone reminded me, the announcement is on Famitsu so obviously it's announced as PS4 only. Would be smarter to release the game at the same time on more platforms than some time later. I mean, Sega isn't a small time indie, so they should have the resources for that.

Imagine if a similar situation to ToZ occurs with the new VC game :p

Dr Dogg

Watch it be just yet another 30% performance increase from the last gen.

Even if it was a marginal computational improvement you'll still got folks in and around tech sites and gaming forums declaring 'I'm waiting for Pascal. My next upgrade for sure!' before any quantifiable metrics are out. In fact you can see that now, some even in this very thread. Personally unless I really, really needed to upgrade, as in there's a game I want to play that my current hardware didn't allow me to play it at the resolution I want, with the framerate I desire and at the graphical fidelity I chose, then waiting 12 month will always gain you a performance boost for roughly the same dough. Happened with Tesla, happened with Fermi happened with Kepler, even happened with Maxwell at the top end despite a smaller refresh line up. A new process node, new architecture, new memory architecture is not the time to make the leap unless you need the performance as a year later that will be refined again, even if marginally so.

Kyougar

US

CUAvgGEWIAEY2Tp.png

Russia

russiaivjlt.jpg

from Steamspy twitter (and DD who made the thread)

Tizoc

^I think I have it on Vita but the latest update bloated the size to 3 GB =_=

Russian Steam users must be really thirsty for dat Uncharted.

Ozium

^I think I have it on Vita but the latest update bloated the size to 3 GB =_=

Russian Steam users must be really thirsty for dat Uncharted.

Uncharted is comign to Russian Steam??????????????

wut

also when GoT Steam Update Atraveller PLS

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Even if it was a marginal computational improvement you'll still got folks in and around tech sites and gaming forums declaring 'I'm waiting for Pascal. My next upgrade for sure!' before any quantifiable metrics are out. In fact you can see that now, some even in this very thread. Personally unless I really, really needed to upgrade, as in there's a game I want to play that my current hardware didn't allow me to play it at the resolution I want, with the framerate I desire and at the graphical fidelity I chose, then waiting 12 month will always gain you a performance boost for roughly the same dough. Happened with Tesla, happened with Fermi happened with Kepler, even happened with Maxwell at the top end despite a smaller refresh line up. A new process node, new architecture, new memory architecture is not the time to make the leap unless you need the performance as a year later that will be refined again, even if marginally so.

And then there are those of us with a graphics card from 2012 that's still rocking along but really starting to show it's age. This is the card I use and it's been great for years. I haven't tried running Fallout 4 on it, but technically it doesn't meet the minimum requirements and I can't imagine it will run all that well, certainly not at 1440p which is my monitor's native resolution.

So I've been saving up to buy a new card. AMD has been great for a long time, but I'm giving some serious consideration to jumping ship to the Nvidia side, simply because it seems to have a lot more support in the areas I care about (hint: it's gaming). Now, knowing that they'll be releasing a new architecture and memory technology next year - it just doesn't make sense for me to go out and buy a 970 or 980 today.

derFeef

And then there are those of us with a graphics card from 2012 that's still rocking along but really starting to show it's age. This is the card I use and it's been great for years. I haven't tried running Fallout 4 on it, but technically it doesn't meet the minimum requirements and I can't imagine it will run all that well, certainly not at 1440p which is my monitor's native resolution.

So I've been saving up to buy a new card. AMD has been great for a long time, but I'm giving some serious consideration to jumping ship to the Nvidia side, simply because it seems to have a lot more support in the areas I care about (hint: it's gaming). Now, knowing that they'll be releasing a new architecture and memory technology next year - it just doesn't make sense for me to go out and buy a 970 or 980 today.

I was in the same situation (7950s) - but I really want to play games in high settings on my 1440p monitor right now, especially Battlefront. I am going to buy a R9 390 today because the price seems right - and I will be happy for another 3 or 4 years. I just can't dish out 700€ for a shiny new-tech GPU these days.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was in the same situation (7950s) - but I really want to play games in high settings on my 1440p monitor right now, especially Battlefront. I am going to buy a R9 390 today because the price seems right - and I will be happy for another 3 or 4 years. I just can't dish out 700€ for a shiny new-tech GPU these days.

The R9 390 is an excellent choice and seems to be in that AMD sweet spot of price vs performance at the moment. If my wife would let me spend my graphics card money now (before Christmas) I'd probably be picking one up myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom