• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

And then there are those of us with a graphics card from 2012 that's still rocking along but really starting to show it's age. This is the card I use and it's been great for years. I haven't tried running Fallout 4 on it, but technically it doesn't meet the minimum requirements and I can't imagine it will run all that well, certainly not at 1440p which is my monitor's native resolution.

So I've been saving up to buy a new card. AMD has been great for a long time, but I'm giving some serious consideration to jumping ship to the Nvidia side, simply because it seems to have a lot more support in the areas I care about (hint: it's gaming). Now, knowing that they'll be releasing a new architecture and memory technology next year - it just doesn't make sense for me to go out and buy a 970 or 980 today.

For me new releases doesn't matter because even 2 year old cards are ridiculously expensive here at my place :D I don't know is that good thing or not (good thing because i know that i won't be able to afford new generation so i don't need to think about it) but it is something i need to deal every few years when time comes to change GPU.

derFeef

The R9 390 is an excellent choice and seems to be in that AMD sweet spot of price vs performance at the moment. If my wife would let me spend my graphics card money now (before Christmas) I'd probably be picking one up myself.

That's why I am doing it secretly ;)
But yeah I think it will be a great card, will post some impressions as soon as I am able to.

fertygo

Old graphic card proces don't declinw at all in indonesia if I converting most of prices its looks likw day 1 USA price

its piss me off and buying newly released card may justified because its does bring the besr value

Dr Dogg

And then there are those of us with a graphics card from 2012 that's still rocking along but really starting to show it's age. This is the card I use and it's been great for years. I haven't tried running Fallout 4 on it, but technically it doesn't meet the minimum requirements and I can't imagine it will run all that well, certainly not at 1440p which is my monitor's native resolution.

So I've been saving up to buy a new card. AMD has been great for a long time, but I'm giving some serious consideration to jumping ship to the Nvidia side, simply because it seems to have a lot more support in the areas I care about (hint: it's gaming). Now, knowing that they'll be releasing a new architecture and memory technology next year - it just doesn't make sense for me to go out and buy a 970 or 980 today.

The thing is there are always going to be those whole dabble in VR, those who want the highest framrerates possible to feed their high frequency displays, those who have crazy resolution displays. To some of those peeps money is no object and they will generally buy the single fast GPU year on year regardless of price and quite often 1 isn't enough. I used to work with a dude that was in his late 30's, still lived at home for various reason and didn't drive. He had plenty of disposable income and the outlet to spend that on instead of a car or house was his PC. I used to joke that his PC cost more than my car but in fact it probably cost more than my car and the cost of running and maintaining it for the year.

To most of us money is an object and also the justification of spending a hefty sum to our other halves even more so. Some folks on another forum I stick my head in were ones that were evangelising a 970 as the best bang for your buck until the memory fiasco. Now a fair amount of them are beating the drum of Pascal before a single benchmark is out (there is also a bit of crossover with them and those saying Skylake is going to be their next upgrade before anyone outside of Intel had their hands on it). Kind of this odd dichotomy of trying to get the most of your money but happy to throw it at something you have no idea about. The lure of shiny new toys is too much for some.

Saying that though as sensible as patience is waiting for the right card, at the right price with the right performance, there is always something better around the corner. How much better can vary but really as I said earlier the best time to upgrade is where there is something you want to play right now and an upgrade will help facilitate that at the settings/fidelity/resolution/framerate you desire. Just going back through all the past released games you might have struggled with performance or had to make sacrifices on new hardware is a big kick for me. Bit of a shame next to no games are pushing crazy high precision and massive sample rate effects these days but then the same old crowd bang on about 'unoptomised mess!' will probably only shout it down. Going back to GTAV and playing that at a loopy resolution and framerate with everything cranked up including ultra foliage density is going to be a treat.

Oh I also tried Fallout 4 on a Q6600 @ stock clocks with 2GB RAM (800mhz DDR2 at that!) and a 9800GT with 1GB VRAM. Well it ran... for a bit before it would crash. Had to set everything on low and have it windowed to get it to start and then after starting the game from the launcher checking Resource Monitor I was racking up a whopping 200 hard faults. Get the feeling that despite memory being a big issue that lack of SSE 4.* instruction sets on the CPU might be the issue.

Arthea

fun fact: I registered for Heroes of Might and Magic Online day one, got polite e-mail it's not available for my region, some time later (a year perhaps) I got e-mail I can play it, never did.
There is some lesson to be learnt here, I think.

edited: according to Who is your favorite female protagonist? thread, there are only to insane people on gaf that never used femshep and both are steamgafers...

as for the best bang for your buck concerning cards, there is no such thing anymore. Seriously, we badly need AMD back with their keeping prices in check thingie, although I'm not sure I'll ever will buy another Radeon after two burning in a year. Ya, I'm aware I'm not your average customer, but still... that's too much and even if I know that partly new engines and some devs are to blame equally... still, I'm way too poor for such situation to last. Hopefully I'll have more luck with Nvidia, even if I can't afford any half decent card.

fun fact: I registered for Heroes of Might and Magic Online day one, got polite e-mail it's not available for my region, some time later (a year perhaps) I got e-mail I can play it, never did.
There is some lesson to be learnt here, I think.

Q3OjVSu.gif

Bought the first parts of my 2016 Pascall powerhorse.
A Bitfenix Phenom M and a bequiet 800w straight power...

Now need to wait till next year to buy RAM, CPU, GPU and a mainboard.

Bequiet has a bad rep though :( I had two PSU's from them, both died with a big smoke cloud.

They give me 5 years warranty on that, so hopefully they wont break.

I had one before a few years ago and didnt have problems. The one I have now on my german PC was a 50€ one and the fan is broken.

Well my somewhat interested hype (somewhat because I don't have a PS4) was deflated the moment I heard that not VC game is more or less a Shining game.

derFeef

They give me 5 years warranty on that, so hopefully they wont break.

I had one before a few years ago and didnt have problems. The one I have now on my german PC was a 50€ one and the fan is broken.

Whoa, I just got a bequiet PSU and CPU cooler. Thus far quite happy with them but that would of course change it dies in a big smoke cloud.T_T

Haha, well, that was ~3 years ago, hopefully they improved their quality.

Dr Dogg

So hang on a minute. A Xbone controller with a 3.5mm headphone jack will also transport audio on Windows 10, connected via USB or the wireless dongle. And people aren't raving about this, how? Going to have to test this out when I get home and see how horrible the quality is.

Phinor

So hang on a minute. A Xbone controller with a 3.5mm headphone jack will also transport audio on Windows 10, connected via USB or the wireless dongle. And people aren't raving about this, how? Going to have to test this out when I get home and see how horrible the quality is.

Well, most xbone controllers in the market right now don't have a 3.5mm jack so... good for those who waited buying a controller, again. Always be waiting.

I've never played Darius and was really interested at first. But the lighting and background scenery in the videos are turning me off; especially after checking out gameplay for the old PSP version (as it looks like the same content is being refreshed for CS?). It looks like a 2D game superimposed onto a movie.

If you look at this for example, the movement of the background seems to bear no relation to the game at the front, particularly when the perspective shifts about 12 seconds into the level. Driving in a straight line but somehow traversing a curve looks like it will feel really odd when playing.

So, I'm really unsure. Whilst it looks like something I'd enjoy I'm stuck on the fence over how it would feel to play.
It will feel amazing, I promise you. I hear you though, but I think that's only a concern you'll have when you're watching videos of it to be honest. Yeah, the level backgrounds in a lot of stages are weird like that, but when you're in control I doubt you will even notice it. Or at the very least it won't have the slightest impact on your gameplay performance, or enjoyment of the game. Backgrounds are kind of the last thing you should pay attention to in these sort of games anyway :)

I can confirm it works! Bought a wireless xbone and dongle for 30$ CAD (price mistake I guess on microsoft website) and now I can sit on my couch with headphones!

Arthea

even if I can't play most of games on my laptop because of overheating problem, it's still good enough for idling, I actually did just that with screen switched off, no games to idle anymore. (looking at the bright side)

Dr Dogg

Well, most xbone controllers in the market right now don't have a 3.5mm jack so... good for those who waited buying a controller, again. Always be waiting.

Well there is that headset adapter so for an additional $20 you to can play with sofa based headphone audio without wires everywhere!

I can confirm it works! Bought a wireless xbone and dongle for 30$ CAD (price mistake I guess on microsoft website) and now I can sit on my couch with headphones!

Yeah someone just mentioned it at work when I said how neat it was you could plug in a set of headphones and the XO would swap the audio around and how neat it would be if you could do this on PC. So quite a nice surprise that Microsoft brought that over for Windows 10.

We're getting chapter 3 and snake in smash.

Have you been drinking again?

Hey Dogg this one is best so far (AC Syndicate Community HUB) XD

http://steamcommunity.com/app/368500/discussions/0/490125737480900024/

AA games? AssCreeds Anonymous? Actually AAA works better. AssCreed Addicts Anonymous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom