• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Okay, seriously, fuck Opera (30+)

Why can't I change the way 'w' searches on Polish wikipedia? Just... why would you disable that.

Let's try Vivaldi then.

I'm really enjoying my test sessions with Vivaldi. Feels snappier than Chrome even with the same plugin loadout and has better shortcuts to specific features. Renderer acts funny on a few pages and takes longer to cold boot, but it's surprisingly well built for being in beta!

qLAb.jpg

https://twitter.com/justcause/status/668836733396611072

Knurek

I'm really enjoying my test sessions with Vivaldi. Feels snappier than Chrome even with the same plugin loadout and has better shortcuts to specific features. Renderer acts funny on a few pages and takes longer to cold boot, but it's surprisingly well built for being in beta!

I just need bookmarklet support.
I have one for getting movie URLs from various VOD services. Other than that, it's aces.

maty

You'll need a Colombian Gaffer with an Paypal account from the States as we can't recieve money from pretty much anywhere.

I'd help you if I could :/

Yeah, I contacted another gaffer from Colombia and he told me Paypal has been removed as a payment option :/

Thanks for the reply

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Caveman Craig -- MB-3D97BD3A78C79182 - Taken by LordCommanderNooooo. 1 entrants total.
Eternal Step -- MB-86A385F1825D3E0A - Taken by Eila. 5 entrants total.
Tracks and Turrets -- MB-7B4AE7F1314BCA35 - Taken by S1n1st3r. 5 entrants total.
Anki -- MB-652645B5AB06E982 - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Chronoclysm -- MB-B6268178F006E3B9 - Taken by Jalal. 2 entrants total.
Go! Go! Nippon -- MB-070E8C5417DE4D19 - Taken by Costa1774. 1 entrants total.
Angels that Kill -- MB-D5485C0AC23FA6E0 - Taken by gurm3n. 2 entrants total.
Momodora III -- MB-E3BC3A8D63E549E6 - Taken by KenOD. 7 entrants total.
Louie Cooks -- MB-4D57CBBD3450FEDD - Taken by Loptous. 2 entrants total.
Hotlead -- MB-5F70AA804C123C12 - Taken by ExoSoul. 1 entrants total.

t1448309911z1.png

Ruh roh.

Killing Floor 2 seems to be taking a page from Payday 2:

http://killingfloor2.com/Zedconomy/details.html

I don't think the skins are anything but cosmetic... but still, seeing this random loot/market tie-in is not exactly giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling after the Overkill/PAYDAY 2 shenanigans. Probably because I'm not thrilled with the idea of focusing resources on creating the market/skins/etc. when the game isn't finished...

Ruh roh.

I don't think the skins are anything but cosmetic... but still, seeing this random loot/market tie-in is not exactly giving me a warm and fuzzy feeling after the Overkill/PAYDAY 2 shenanigans. Probably because I'm not thrilled with the idea of focusing resources on creating the market/skins/etc. when the game isn't finished...

Damn. This will not go well at all.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Ruh roh.

I don't have an issue with this? It just seems like skins and such, which were previously DLC in KF1, but now it sounds like an economy thing ala' TF2. It works well for the game, I think. I don't think it sounds anything like the PD2 system.

Hektor

I don't see an issue with it in per se, as they never promised to not have microtransactions as well as the fact that the game ain't even officially released it, but i agree that they should focus on finishing the game before spending money and time on stuff that they take additional money for.

feels like nothing is safe

pa8ZpIZ.gif

KarmaCow

Ruh roh.

Yea I'm not a fan of the slot machine system for getting items. It's slimy and predatory but at least it just seems to be skins, which was my biggest problem with the Payday 2 stuff. Having this come out before the game is even out does suck too. Hopefully this means that future DLC is subsidized by this, unlike Payday 2.

I don't have an issue with this? It just seems like skins and such, which were previously DLC in KF1, but now it sounds like an economy thing ala' TF2. It works well for the game, I think. I don't think it sounds anything like the PD2 system.

I never said it was exactly like the payday 2 system, but rather that KF2 was taking a page out of the PAYDAY2 playbook. I noted that it was just cosmetic as far as everything seemed to be concerned, but that's the sole difference right now as far as I can tell, as you can't even get decryption keys without buying them on the market according to the site. (You originally couldn't get Payday 2 safe drills as drops, but Overkill changed that after the fact).

Also, I made the comparison because of how out of left field both were.

So while they never stated anything about microtransactions never being part of the game, I can't see this going over well when they haven't even delivered the gunslinger class yet (among others) and here they are adding skins/loot to buy/sell. The game isn't even out of EA and they're worried about creating a community market (and hopefully getting the revenue from skin sales if it takes off in some manner).

Yea I'm not a fan of the slot machine system for getting items. It's slimy and predatory but at least it just seems to be skins, which was my biggest problem with the Payday 2 stuff. Having this come out during before the game is even out does suck too. Hopefully this means that future DLC is subsidized by this, unlike Payday 2.

Yeah that's my feeling as well, I really dislike the gambling for skin model, spending money on something I might not like is really lame, I'll wait and see how it turns out but I'm not gonna lie and say isn't kind of disappointing.

aww... so they are higher than what was printed on the game box

I didn't know you could comparea a 3GB 780 with a 4GB 290, the latter is better. Why have they upped it for AMD, wasn't a 280 the recommended AMD card? That one is more comparable with the 780 (but the 780 would come out slightly on top).

yeah...the "Minimum" CPU choices are different for both Intel and AMD between the box and Avalanche's official announcement and the "Minimum" NVIDIA card is different and "Recommended" AMD card is different

My guess is they had to get the packaging done by a certain date and those requirements were what was needed then but have changed once more work was done (or maybe their official ones err on the high side to be safe)...no idea

Nvidia GameWorks™

yep

and so far there hasn't been anything saying what those GameWorks settings are and what impact they'll have on performance/gameplay

Uzzy

I never said it was exactly like the payday 2 system, but rather that KF2 was taking a page out of the PAYDAY2 playbook. I noted that it was just cosmetic as far as everything seemed to be concerned, but that's the sole difference right now as far as I can tell, as you can't even get decryption keys without buying them on the market according to the site. (You originally couldn't get Payday 2 safe drills as drops, but Overkill changed that after the fact).

So while they never stated anything about microtransactions never being part of the game, I can't see this going over well when they haven't even delivered the gunslinger class yet (among others) and here they are adding skins/loot to buy/sell. The game isn't even out of EA and they're worried about creating a community market (and hopefully getting the revenue from skin sales if it takes off in some manner).

And had they put together a community market after release, people would go insane over them putting microtransactions in post release to avoid bad reviews.

Skins are fine. Weapon mods being random aren't fine.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Ruh roh.

I wish devs would stop using the Well Worn/Almost New/Spankin Ass New system for adding more variation to their weapon market. I feel like if a user is spending money to unlock a single skin, they should never have to end up with something that looks like it was shoved through a wood chipper unless they want it to. Make it a tweak on the equipment section so the user can decide how battle-worn they want the weapon to look and leave it at that.

That said, I'm okay with it so long as it remains completely cosmetic, which was the golden rule Overkill broke and they're currently paying for with nonstop negative press and fan backlash. KF1 had a few weapon and character cosmetic packs for $5, so I'm not completely surprised by this.

Not happy about this 'addition' but I hope it's restricted to skins at the very least.

Ruh roh.

It seems the same exact method as CS:GO, with the various type of skin.
I'm not really bothered to be honest, since it's a cosmetic only thing and you can get for free with random drops. It doesn't alter the game, so I'm fine with it.
Even the first game had some skins for sale.

the real question is

how did these indie devs come up with such great ways to nickel and dime their users before konami

Using existing Steam infrastructure is a great idea. I'm surprised more games don't implement things like this.

Everybody wins, since Valve gets a cut, the developers get a cut, and players can earn real Steam $.

Of course, the issue is that it creates an environment where people will play to get drops exclusively, meaning less games that are driven by competitiveness or enjoyment. This usually is paired by a general toxic attitude.

There's also the problem in that it preys on those people prone toward addictive personalities of this nature. Those compulsive collector types.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
In Clannad's defense, it literally is one of the longest visual novels around. Easily over 100 hours, and over 300 hours if you do every character's path. That and it being well-known and being pretty well told will give it benefit.

Though the price is a bit steep for a blind or spontaneous purchase.

Jawmuncher

In Clannad's defense, it literally is one of the longest visual novels around. Easily over 100 hours, and over 300 hours if you do every character's path.
To take away from it, it's 10 years old with no new art work. Though at least they were upscaled to be "HD" I think.

Knurek

Yup, that's actually partially what I was thinking, it is an older visual novel. Though am I wrong in thinking they re-translated it?

Would you pay $50 for a book?
How much does "A Dance With Dragons" go for? That has comparable wordcount, doesn't it? $7, give or take a few cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom