• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
So, it turns out the drops won't be entirely cosmetic:

"All of the content added in Trading Floor at launch will be cosmetic only and not affect gameplay in any way. In the future we may be adding weapons with new gameplay for sale, but this will appear in the “Shared Content” area on the server."

This part isn't okay, I feel. The weapon selection in KF2 already feels anemic and lacking, so holding sidegrades off as crate drops feels like extremely poor form.

Jawmuncher

Would you pay $50 for a book?
How much does "A Dance With Dragons" go for? That has comparable wordcount, doesn't it? $7, give or take a few cents...

I mean there's a tad more work than that but for the US, 50 for a older VN seems like pushing it to me. 39.99 to me is the safer price.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Would you pay $50 for a book?
How much does "A Dance With Dragons" go for? That has comparable wordcount, doesn't it? $7, give or take a few cents...

That depends on the books, and in Clannad's case there's a bit more to it, since there are choices, multiple different routes, endings, an after-story, and a soundtrack, pictures, etc. The soundtrack I also will mention is also quite good, really.

I know what is trying to be said, and I do think it's a bit overpriced, but I also understand that Key has made a name for itself over time and many people know Clannad, it's literally one of the most well-regarded visual novels of all time and one of the longest, so I also kind of understand I guess.

Ozium

Aren't the prices of this autumn sale and then winter sale going to be identical? Usually, the prices carried over but different games were featured. Now it isn't going to matter since there is one discount active throughout.

Might as well shop this sale

dascu straight up said that malebolgia will be 50% in autumn and 75% in winter

take that as u will

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How good are Sekai Project's translations anyway? I think I only touched the Nekopara demo from them, and goddamn, that was amateur hour. I hope that doesn't represent their usual work.

Knurek

How good are Sekai Project's translations anyway? I think I only touched the Nekopara demo from them, and goddamn, that was amateur hour. I hope that doesn't represent their usual work.

That's the thing, only other game I know they did, "If My Heart Had Wings" certainly doesn't read like something a professional company ought to put out.

MUnited83

For you.
So, it turns out the drops won't be entirely cosmetic:

This part isn't okay, I feel. The weapon selection in KF2 already feels anemic and lacking, so holding sidegrades off as crate drops feels like extremely poor form.
Not like they didn't lock out better weapons with a paywall before. At least this way you could get them for free I guess.

Also means more market money for me so eh

Eila

I just assumed Clannad is using a touched up fan-translation. It'd be crazy of them to retranslate all of it when it's already done.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Not like they didn't lock out better weapons with a paywall before. At least this way you could get them for free I guess.

It also wasn't very acceptable then, but users didn't have as many ways to support them at that point. If you're running a thriving skin market, there's no reason to lock game changing weaponry behind a paywall of any kind. Don't get in the way of your players!

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
zblRXRL.jpg

I just assumed Clannad is using a touched up fan-translation. It'd be crazy of them to retranslate all of it when it's already done.
From their Kickstarter FAQ:

What about the current CLANNAD fan translation?
After much debate and consideration, we have decided to re-translate the game in order to provide the best possible translation for CLANNAD! The team of translators we have hired to work on CLANNAD are industry veterans who have worked on many titles such as the hit series Attack on Titan's manga and light novel.

Their translations generally haven't been good. WEE, Nekopara, and Fault have had problems. Clannad's is up in the air given how quickly it was done, they seem to have just thrown a ton of bodies at it.

Is Clannard actually well put together outside of animu weeabus? Art style is off putting enough to make me want to completely ignore it.

How is the writing of the original Japanese version?

Shantom

So, after all the price discussion, this is how Clannad has started off on Steam:

1Wi16xD.png

Has any VN been this high in the top sellers before?

Drakhyrr

Just in to say I've finished New Vegas, after 98 hours. That makes it two GOATs I've played this year, along with The Witcher 3.

Now to stay away from anything open world for a good while and play something different.

Clannad has a streaming policy where you're only allowed to stream the first three hours of the game. Some folks are upset by this but I can see why the developers would want to do this. Unlike other games, there is no gameplay or agency in a visual novel so watching it in it's entirety in a Let's Play would probably make purchasing it redundant. In the other hand, streamers can boost sales of obscure titles by quite a bit. It's a tricky situation.

Anyway the game is pretty cheap in my store so I'll pick it up there and sell my Kickstarter key. Figured I'd ask here first before putting it on the BST thread tomorrow. If anyone wants it for $30 (plus Paypal fees) just drop me a PM.

On another note, I don't know how people are flying through Fallout 4. I played today for a couple of hours and only managed to get two quests done. I have friends who have already put in 50 hours into the game and have cleared all the quests they could find. I'm not even playing at a very high difficulty. Makes me feel I'm just slow in my old age :(

Jawmuncher

Clannad has a streaming policy where you're only allowed to stream the first three hours of the game. Some folks are upset by this but I can see why the developers would want to do this. Unlike other games, there is no gameplay or agency in a visual novel so watching it in it's entirety in a Let's Play would probably make purchasing it redundant. In the other hand, streamers can boost sales of obscure titles by quite a bit. It's a tricky situation.

Anyway the game is pretty cheap in my store so I'll pick it up there and sell my Kickstarter key. Figured I'd ask here first before putting it on the BST thread tomorrow. If anyone wants it for $30 (plus Paypal fees) just drop me a PM.

It's Sekai Project. I don't think they have the man power to stop people if they REALLY wanted to stream more than 3 hours.
Especially if you're not streaming on twitch. Good luck enforcing the rule on Hitbox or Livestream.

Jazz573

It's Sekai Project. I don't think they have the man power to stop people if they REALLY wanted to stream more than 3 hours.

Key ia the one who decided the restriction. I would bet Key probably has good lawyers. :p Well VisualArt's, not Key. I just think VA would because they're probably one of the largest VN companies with a large amount of brands.

Especially if you're not streaming on twitch. Good luck enforcing the rule on Hitbox or Livestream.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to do much more than get youtube archives taken down. Other VNs have had similar restrictions on streaming and they weren't enforced all that well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom