• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sini

Serious question: were you guys expecting FO4 to be graphically impressive?
Because I sure as hell wasn't.
I was expecting it to look like promo materials they have shown, which looked great for such game.
I'm still optimistic about pc version living up to promo stuff.

I didn't, but apparently from the screenshot thread there are a bunch of people who did. Bethesda games have never been about the graphics for me, and if I did want some sick next-gen cinematic graphics I would just download an ENB.

Deitus

Oh wow, just saw there was a new thread, and it already has 400 posts. I guess that's what happens when you sleep for 14 hours straight.
I'm still tired though.

Sini

I didn't, but apparently from the screenshot thread there are a bunch of people who did. Bethesda games have never been about the graphics for me, and if I did want some sick next-gen cinematic graphics I would just download an ENB.
I don't think anyone expected visuals to look better than in videos Bethesda released. Problem is that they look much worse.

Tizoc

That why I tried to make a comparison between those movies you are hyped to go see on day one and those that you just happen to find out (I may have failed at this explanation). In the end, I had a good time with it and was worth my time. I haven't tried the online portion but I agree with everything else you mentioned.

For reference, I haven't played the Red Faction Guerrilla. I might purchase on a sale in the future to see how it holds to this day.

That game's been discounted multiple time over the past few years and months.
How do you miss out on them, you either lurk Humblebundle when it updates or just see if its on sale on Steam lol.

Maniac

Banned
Red Faction Armageddon was a weird one for me. As I was playing it through the first time, I was like "well, this is kinda cliche, the levels are too linear, the story sucks, and it's just such a smaller game than Red Faction Armageddon *meh*"... but then I beat it... and then played it again... and then beat it again... and then played it again... and then beat it again... and then bought Path to War for something resembling full price and played that... and then played through the Horde mode... and then played it online... and before I knew it, I guess I had to admit that I thought it was a pretty good game after all.

More or less what happened for me aswell, although I never picked up Path to War. I enjoyed the game for a variety of reasons, all of which were entirely different reasons than why I loved Guerilla. It's... Odd. If it wasn't a mainline RF sequel, I don't think it would've been so badly received - But people wanted more of the smashtastic, openworld goodness of Guerilla where you could use the environment as a weapon and handle every engagement differently, so I definitely understand the backlash, but Armageddon is... Still very much a good game, imo.
Yeah, I was hoping for a 25-30% off for Fallout but I think this is the best I am going to get if I want to buy it before release (unless I go gray market)

It's cheaper at Funstock Digital with their coupon. £29~, and they're as legit as GMG.

Which may or may not mean that there's the possibility of grey-ness, lol

pahamrick

I don't think anyone expected visuals to look better than in videos Bethesda released. Problem is that they look much worse.

I would assume that all officially released media was from the PC version, so until we get third party PC footage it's hard to tell if there was a major downgrade or tomfoolery going on.

dex3108

yeah i quite liked ac3

it's not great and the desmond stuff is absolute garbage but game's decent

Turfster would argue otherwise :p

I had more issues with Black Flag as AC game than i had with AC3. And from technical standpoint AC3 is huge step up from previous games. Also i didn't have that many issues with Connor ether. In my book AC3 is solid game, ending is cliche and some story parts are not that good but it is far from disaster that people are considering it.

Buraindo

I just finished Red Faction Armageddon as well the Path to War DLC, here my small impressions if anyone is interested:

Thank you for your impressions. I finished Armageddon a while back, had a good time for the most part, and the film comparison you made is on point. Only major complaint I had back then was the nauseating field of view which prevented me from playing the game for too long.
I see that you're already interested in purchasing Guerrilla and I think that you should definitely get it when you can.

Durante

I don't expect much from Bethesda in any department -- certainly not to be impressed -- but, I did honestly expect them to do at least somewhat better than those shots graphically on PS4 at 30 FPS.

The_Monk

More or less what happened for me aswell, although I never picked up Path to War. I enjoyed the game for a variety of reasons, all of which were entirely different reasons than why I loved Guerilla. It's... Odd. If it wasn't a mainline RF sequel, I don't think it would've been so badly received - But people wanted more of the smashtastic, openworld goodness of Guerilla where you could use the environment as a weapon and handle every engagement differently, so I definitely understand the backlash, but Armageddon is... Still very much a good game, imo.

You aren't missing much regarding the Path to War but upon reading your post I do wonder if the reception of this game would have been a bit better if it didn't had "Red Faction" labelled on it. I mention this because it seems many people were expecting much more for Armageddon back in the day. Care to share your opinion on this? :)

Thank you for your impressions. I finished Armageddon a while back and the film comparison you made is on point. Only major complaint I had back then was the nauseating field of view which prevented me from playing the game for too long.
I see that you're already interested in purchasing Guerrilla and I think that you should definitely get it when you can.

Thanks and you're welcome! I was worried I didn't made my explanation clear but I'm glad you understood it.

Momentary

Banned
It would be nice to have a good game in the list of stuff releasing in November.

Trollolol

And a few dozen Atelier games.

Well, at least we'll probably get one of these things.

Well I went ahead and submitted it last night. I don't know who I'm supposed to send a write up to. Hopefully it's jshackles. If not... I'm sorry jshackles.

Teggy

Hm, unless I can figure out how to get the frame rate up, steam link looks like it will just be an occasional novelty. It looks to be running at 30fps even though it's running at 60fps on my pc screen. Will have to investigate.

Maniac

Banned
You aren't missing much regarding the Path to War but upon reading your post I do wonder if the reception of this game would have been a bit better if it didn't had "Red Faction" labelled on it. I mention this because it seems many people were expecting much more for Armageddon back in the day. Care to share your opinion on this? :)
That's exactly how I feel. If it hadn't been named Red Faction, or if it'd been marketed and made as an explicit spin-off, I'm quite confident it'd been quite well-received, it's not like it's a bad game, it's simply... Vastly different from it's predecessor, and more or less throws everything people loved about Guerrilla right out the window. I think it does a lot of what it focuses on terrifically, though! And I find it to be a pretty great game, even if it's nothing like what I was hoping for.

What I wouldn't do for a Guerrilla 2, though... Damn, that'd be a blast, especially with the improvements we've seen to hardware since the last one.
Thank you for your impressions. I finished Armageddon a while back, had a good time for the most part, and the film comparison you made is on point. Only major complaint I had back then was the nauseating field of view which prevented me from playing the game for too long.

Wasn't the FOV moddable, or some such? I remember not liking it either, and managing to increase it somehow.

... Atleast as far as I remember. You know how my memory is, though. :p

Fallout 4 looks fine to me too, as long as in motion it's a solid framerate with no tearing or anything super distracting like that. Besides, who the hell expects a game about a post-apocalyptic wasteland to be jaw-dropping in terms of graphics? Especially in a game, where as you sort of imply, the focus is on exploration/interactivity as opposed to "looking pretty" while dying of exposure to radiation.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well I went ahead and submitted it last night. I don't know who I'm supposed to send a write up to. Hopefully it's jshackles. If not... I'm sorry jshackles.

I got the OP updated this morning, sorry for the delay!

Also Happy Halloween everyone! I apologize for having the thread up a day or so early but I won't be around my PC much today and also the October thread was already getting a little long in the tooth.

Dsyndrome

Beat King's Quest Episode 1 this morning, and just got to the point Ancients-wise in Clicker Heroes where Iris starts to matter; good start to the morning, now Notre Dame just needs to beat Temple and my Halloween will be a total success.

Maniac

Banned
Fallout 4 looks fine to me too, as long as in motion it's a solid framerate with no tearing or anything super distracting like that. Besides, who the hell expects a game about a post-apocalyptic wasteland to be jaw-dropping in terms of graphics? Especially in a game, where as you sort of imply, the focus is on exploration/interactivity as opposed to "looking pretty" while dying of exposure to radiation.

That'd be fine if dying of exposure to radiation was a part of the game in any way whatsoever :p

And even then, I'd hardly call 30 fps solid when the game isn't at all a looker nor seems to be a native 1080.

To each their own, though. There's a reason I don't have a console - 30 FPS just... Drives me nuts if it's not 100% locked, and then I really want visual fidelity that can justify that framerate, y'know?

And that sadly isn't the case a lot of the time.

Anteater

better not quote outside posters I thought I was in twilight zone when I ended up in some weird fallout 4 thread just now

Buraindo

Wasn't the FOV moddable, or some such? I remember not liking it either, and managing to increase it somehow.

... Atleast as far as I remember. You know how my memory is, though. :p

Yeah there is one now it seems. Don't think it was available when I played the game though, I remember looking for a fix and not finding one.

Li Kao

Technical prowess =/= Aesthetic

That'd be fine if dying of exposure to radiation was a part of the game in any way whatsoever :p

And even then, I'd hardly call 30 fps solid when the game isn't at all a looker nor seems to be a native 1080.

To each their own, though. There's a reason I don't have a console - 30 FPS just... Drives me nuts if it's not 100% locked, and then I really want visual fidelity that can justify that framerate, y'know?

And that sadly isn't the case a lot of the time.

Just because framerate is targeted/locked at 30 doesn't mean that a load of extra resources show up that can suddenly be used to jack up the graphical fidelity. Depending on what things the game is calculating/loading/etc. the amount of stuff left for "oooh, pretty graphics" is inversely proportional.

Hell, this is what started killing the gamebryo games on PS3 when you got further into it. All the changes to the world and scripting that it tries to load and recall ended up bogging everything down and clogging up memory to the point where the framerate would become a slideshow (which was a bigger problem on PS3 than x360 because of how the system design with regards to memory).

I mean, I don't fault you for wanting better or not having a console cause 30fps drives you nuts... the good thing about your opinions and the way you voice them is you don't treat them as absolute facts and you don't try to push them on other people or respond negatively to those with differing viewpoints.

zkylon

zkylewd
I had more issues with Black Flag as AC game than i had with AC3. And from technical standpoint AC3 is huge step up from previous games. Also i didn't have that many issues with Connor ether. In my book AC3 is solid game, ending is cliche and some story parts are not that good but it is far from disaster that people are considering it.
still gotta play ass 4, i wasn't that big of a fan of the ship parts in ass 3 so not sure

it's never cheap enough for me to try it

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Bethesda continues to make bad looking games? Color me shocked.
Bethesda continues to make buggy games? Color me shocked.
Bethesda? Shocked.

Jazz573

So today Key and Fruitbat Factory (same guys who brought 99 Spirits, 100% Orange Juice, 200% Mixed Juice, to Steam) announced official localizations of Little Busters and Tomoyo After.

Links:

VisualArts Facebook post
Little Busters TLwiki page

Apparently Tomoyo After's official release was already known, so I don't know why VA announced it.

Before anyone asks, yes, these are both Steam releases.

Anyone who bought the Disney Infinity 2.0 Starter Pack on Steam and doesn't have their figures on 3.0, you can contact Disney Support in order to fix that (took them a while, but they fixed it for me today)

Also, if you could post in the 3.0 community discussions about the lack of windowed mode support I'd be really grateful, it's truly annoying that we are in 2015 and a game doesn't support windowed mode.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I don't expect much from Bethesda in any department -- certainly not to be impressed -- but, I did honestly expect them to do at least somewhat better than those shots graphically on PS4 at 30 FPS.

There's a joke to be made about how Fallout 4 compares to Skyrim and the fact that Bethesda literally can't be bothered putting Wolf:ET and Wolf09 back up on Steam.

Oh, right: something something technical issues. If Fallout 4 could look better, it'd look better!

Jawmuncher

Anyone who bought the Disney Infinity 2.0 Starter Pack on Steam and doesn't have their figures on 3.0, you can contact Disney Support in order to fix that (took them a while, but they fixed it for me today)

Also, if you could post in the 3.0 community discussions about the lack of windowed mode support I'd be really grateful, it's truly annoying that we are in 2015 and a game doesn't support windowed mode.

I just hope they patch that damn camera control when using a controller. It's so slow.
Also no Vsync is just what the hell. Thankfully nvidia control panel can fix that issue.

Maniac

Banned

It'll likely look exponentially better on PC without mods, though. I mean, if you compare FO3 on highest settings to the console version, there's quite a difference, hopefully it's the same for FO4.

Although there really is no excuse for FO4 to look the way it does on the new-gen.

Or well, there is an excuse, it's called "Bethesda"
There's a joke to be made about how Fallout 4 compares to Skyrim and the fact that Bethesda literally can't be bothered putting Wolf:ET and Wolf09 back up on Steam.

Technical reasons, man. Technical... Stuffs is hard!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom