• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2015 - Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty Never Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So in exactly 1 week I'll be undertaking a 24 hour gaming marathon for charity, which I'll be streaming on Twitch. I've finally narrowed down a list of games I'll be playing - hopefully I'll be able to get to most of these during the stream:
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition
  • Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure
  • Sacred 3
  • Rollers of the Realm
  • Saints Row IV: Gat out of Hell
  • The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die
  • One Piece Pirate Warriors 3
  • Grim Fandango Remastered
  • The Marvellous Miss Take
  • Grandia II Anniversary Edition
  • Blues and Bullets
  • Grim Legends 2: Song of the Dark Swan
  • Rocket League
  • Shower With Your Dad Simulator
  • Final Fantasy Type-0 HD
  • Her Story
Which I think is a pretty good mix of games released in the last 18 months or so, will (probably) run OK on my PC, and have been in my backlog. It should be great fun.

I'm hoping to raise $1,000 for my local children's hospital and I've so far been able to raise $600! I'm giving away a cool Enhanced Steam supporter profile badge to everyone who donates and leaves a link to their Steam profile in the donation comments. I'm also raffling off over $1,000 worth of games courtesy of IsThereAnyDeal.com! So if you get a chance be sure and check it out!

The fallout thread is pretty ridiculous. I can feel the defensiveness since the first page.
jugg-2mask.gif

^are you going to "beat" them? I mean, Rocket League is a multiplayer game.

Maniac

Banned
I hope Todd Howard takes out VSync in F4, because I want to play a Bethesda game that runs smooth :p

I hope it has JIT-Vsync.

But I already know for a fact that it doesn't since it's a relatively new feature which very few engines has.
Just because framerate is targeted/locked at 30 doesn't mean that a load of extra resources show up that can suddenly be used to jack up the graphical fidelity. Depending on what things the game is calculating/loading/etc. the amount of stuff left for "oooh, pretty graphics" is inversely proportional.

Hell, this is what started killing the gamebryo games on PS3 when you got further into it. All the changes to the world and scripting that it tries to load and recall ended up bogging everything down and clogging up memory to the point where the framerate would become a slideshow (which was a bigger problem on PS3 than x360 because of how the system design with regards to memory).

I mean, I don't fault you for wanting better or not having a console cause 30fps drives you nuts... the good thing about your opinions and the way you voice them is you don't treat them as absolute facts and you don't try to push them on other people or respond negatively to those with differing viewpoints.
Oh yeah, that's definitely true. It also takes a reasonable overhead to do a proper, locked 30. But with something like FO4, there's very little excuse for it to not look better, other than either lazyness, incompetence or mismanagement.

And I mean, I could say for a fact that 60 FPS is simply better than 30, but noone in their right mind would despute that. 30 isn't outright awful though; but it damn well be done properly, you know? Case-in-point; Dragons Fucking Dogma. Anything sub-50 if it's not locked looks arse in motion for me, but if it's a locked 30, it's not too bad. Just gotta have that consistency. Which... DD never had. Not even for a minute. It's a shame, too. I kind of liked the game, but that's why I'm glad it's coming to PC, finally.

All hail the mighty mustard race!

I don't actually like mustard. I'm sorry.
I finally pulled off the <ADHESIVE MEDICAL STRIP> and finished MGSV.

Now I'm all alone and covered in blood.

And in the game?

Maniac

Banned
People in the screenshot thread were bringing up the argument that gameplay supersedes graphics.
Now it's going to perform well.

Has anyone actually played Bethesda games?

It does look like it'll have significantly better shooting than FO3, though. So that's always something. But significantly better than outright wank doesn't necessarily mean it'll be good, it just means it'll be less wanky.

And fuck me, the crosshair looks awful. Hope I can disable it alongside the majority of the awful HUD.

Maybe if they changed their engine we could expects a almost bug-free experience. Otherwise, you can't expect any else than the same kind of problems that have plagued their previous games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I enjoy making and maintaining PC perf. threads, so I hope I'm not beaten to the bunch for Fallout 4's as I'm sure it'll be very popular.

Tizoc

So in exactly 1 week I'll be undertaking a 24 hour gaming marathon for charity, which I'll be streaming on Twitch. I've finally narrowed down a list of games I'll be playing - hopefully I'll be able to get to most of these during the stream:
  • Sacred 3
  • Rollers of the Realm
  • Blues and Bullets
  • Rocket League
  • Her Story
Which I think is a pretty good mix of games released in the last 18 months or so, will (probably) run OK on my PC, and have been in my backlog. It should be great fun.

I'm hoping to raise $1,000 for my local children's hospital and I've so far been able to raise $600! I'm giving away a cool Enhanced Steam supporter profile badge to everyone who donates and leaves a link to their Steam profile in the donation comments. I'm also raffling off over $1,000 worth of games courtesy of IsThereAnyDeal.com! So if you get a chance be sure and check it out!

Make sure you got that 60 FPS Fix applied for Killer is Dead ;)

One Piece Musou 3 is gonna be PS4 ver. or PC?

Knurek

So today Key and Fruitbat Factory (same guys who brought 99 Spirits, 100% Orange Juice, 200% Mixed Juice, to Steam) announced official localizations of Little Busters and Tomoyo After.

Before anyone asks, yes, these are both Steam releases.

How does it exactly work with Tomoyo After?
Since, you know, it pretty much starts with a graphic sex scene?

Lomax

The last game in the world I'd ever buy at launch is a Fallout game. Learned that lesson the hard way with Fallout 2 and it's been clear adding Bethesda to the mix has only made that more true.

• Sacred 3
  • Rollers of the Realm
  • Blues and Bullets
  • Rocket League
  • Her Story

I'm the admin of a nearly 1,000 member Steam group so I'll shill it for you

Teggy

Now my xbox controller wireless adapter has shown up. It's like steam Christmas (but with a crappier sale).

Uzzy

Fallout 4 will be a buggy, horrific looking mess with a level of storytelling and characterisation that I'd be embarrassed to see in children's television, and will still get a 95%+ score on Metacritic and win countless GOTY awards.

Shit's depressing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Make sure you got that 60 FPS Fix applied for Killer is Dead ;)

One Piece Musou 3 is gonna be PS4 ver. or PC?

Will do, hopefully it won't kill my performance too much! Also One Piece (and everything, actually) will be PC. I heard the game can be a bit broken so hopefully I don't have too many issues. If I do, I'll just move on to the next game during the stream.

The same thing happened last year while playing Cognition - it just kept crashing and I finally gave up.

I'm the admin of a nearly 1,000 member Steam group so I'll shill it for you

Awesome, thanks man!

Fallout 4 will be a buggy, horrific looking mess with a level of storytelling and characterisation that I'd be embarrassed to see in children's television, and will still get a 95%+ score on Metacritic and win countless GOTY awards.

Shit's depressing.

There is something to be said about a fun ass video game.

Jazz573

How does it exactly work with Tomoyo After?
Since, you know, it pretty much starts with a graphic sex scene?

I'm not sure but there is an All-Ages Windows version, as well as Console ports and an Android version. Not sure how they handled it.

Monooboe

Was Skyrim a buggy mess at launch? I really can't remember, I do remember playing it nonstop for months. Anyway, one would hope that they have gamebryo nailed down now, maybe bare bone graphics is so that they can have a nonbuggy game?

Oh lawd at the Fallout 4 screenshot thread.

It's a funny game in a regard that everything I see about it makes me pretty much hate it, but still I can't wait to play it (have preorders in and all that because I am a dumbass)

Knurek

Shit's depressing.

And then Larian will be contracted to make New Vegas 2 and be deprived of bonuses for only reaching 89% positive reviews on Steam.

pahamrick

Was Skyrim a buggy mess at launch? I really can't remember, I do remember playing it nonstop for months. Anyway, one would hope that they have gamebryo nailed down now, maybe bare bone graphics is so that they can have a nonbuggy game?

I think the biggest issue at launch was poor performance due to some issue with the game not using multi-threading. It was fan fixed pretty quickly.

It was pretty buggy, but nothing that ever stopped me from being able to play it. Normally a quick reload of a save game fixed most things I ran into, as I recall.

Tizoc

Will do, hopefully it won't kill my performance too much! Also One Piece (and everything, actually) will be PC. I heard the game can be a bit broken so hopefully I don't have too many issues. If I do, I'll just move on to the next game during the stream.

The same thing happened last year while playing Cognition - it just kept crashing and I finally gave up.

Awesome, thanks man!

Cognition never crashed for me, but hope OP Musou 3 runs fine for you. It's a rather long game with later levels being a tad too long, but play on Normal or Easy to blast through it quickly.
If you just use Luffy and strengthen him as you progress you should be able to beat it faster.

Have a thread be made for it over at GD, I'm sure more GAFfers would take interest in this :D

jshackles

Cognition never crashed for me, but hope OP Musou 3 runs fine for you. It's a rather long game with later levels being a tad too long, but play on Normal or Easy to blast through it quickly.
If you just use Luffy and strengthen him as you progress you should be able to beat it faster.

Thanks for the tip! The past few years I've done these live-streams, I've tried to pick games I hadn't played yet so that every few hours I start something new so it's kind of keeping things fresh. But I also treat it like an "all you can eat buffet" of Steam gaming, and every time I start a new game it's like doing a little "let's play" video. Some short games I play during Extra Life I end up beating during the stream, but others I separate out into either "finish later" or "immediately delete and never revisit".

The hardest part usually is a) staying awake for 24 hours, b) sitting mostly still for 24 hours, and c) not losing my voice after 24 hours.

zkylon

zkylewd

Shit's depressing.
if it gets a new vegas 2 in the making, i'll be happy with all of that

pahamrick

The hardest part usually is a) staying awake for 24 hours, b) sitting mostly still for 24 hours, and c) not losing my voice after 24 hours.

I don't know if this actually works as I've never actually tried it, but I have a cousin who sings in a band and he used to tell me that he'd drink ginger tea with honey after every gig to help soothe his vocal chords.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I still cannot believe that actually was a thing.

Also amusing is v1.00 of the actual executable is entirely DRM-free; only the launcher was tethered to the Steam client.

Great game. Holding left trigger for cover was strangely satisfying and I wish it caught on.

A mate and I are playing through the Vegas games at the moment. The original is dated to the point that it feels like a fan-made UDK game.

Tizoc

Thanks for the tip! The past few years I've done these live-streams, I've tried to pick games I hadn't played yet so that every few hours I start something new so it's kind of keeping things fresh. But I also treat it like an "all you can eat buffet" of Steam gaming, and every time I start a new game it's like doing a little "let's play" video. Some short games I play during Extra Life I end up beating during the stream, but others I separate out into either "finish later" or "immediately delete and never revisit".

Oof staying awake for ana ctual 24 hours is not a good idea IMO, but good luck. Honestly 1-ish hour Break every few hours or after beating a game is good so you can freshen up/revitalize yourself, I dont' think it HAS to be an exact 24 hours, but that's just me :3

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh you'll get New Vegas 2.
But it will be done by the bethesda team still.
i don't mind if bethesda makes a billion fallouts and they're all shit

if it leads to one good one made by a real rpg developer i'm happy

and if it doesn't, then i'm not happy, but i don't really care either, cos i already got three good fallouts to play

Rainbow Six: New Vegas 2.
gross

jshackles

I pre-ordered Fallout 4 on both PS4 (along with season pass) and PC.

I'm still happy with the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom