• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hektor

Before

on6bZID.png

After

Don't do drugs kids

Wok

no other GOTYs need apply

Miegakure will Blow your mind.

I have yet to play Obduction. I bought it full price, then Stump won it in a raffle, then Stump finished it, and I have yet to boot it for at least an hour.

FLD

Lots of people posting their GotY contenders on the previous page, and some good games too, but you're missing out if this is not on your shortlist:

header.jpg

I just played the first one, I'll get to it eventually. It was surprisingly good for a free game. Might give the second one a shot tonight.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the Steam version of Quantum Break solid, or does it have issues?

It's fine and performs oh-so-slightly better than its WinStore counterpart. Some still swear black and blue that the game is woefully unoptimised, but the X1 version runs at 720p and medium settings, so naturally native 1080p (there's an option to disable upscaling) and max in-game settings is going to be significantly more demanding.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Lots of people posting their GotY contenders on the previous page, and some good games too, but you're missing out if this is not on your shortlist:

header.jpg

I will always associate Momodora with the Games Done Quick run, which was done by a runner halfcoordinated, who has a disability so he can only play games with one of his hands as the right side of his body is partially paralyzed. Very beautiful thing and I think spoke well for Momodora as a whole, a very beautiful game.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
my GOTY isnt on Steam

so I guess if I had to choose something on Steam from this year it would be Dark Souls 3, by default, even if I didnt particulary think it was amazing

Lomax

You people who post banner pictures with no link to the store page are the worst. Just the worst! Making me do my own searching! So inconsiderate.

Kudo

Space Hulk coming next month (and beta this weekend), hopefully that is good enough to contend for Steam Goty.
Though I have a feeling it'll be Xanadu Next, haven't played it yet but it looks great.

rtcn63

I hate DS4windows. Almost every time I disconnect my controller, the software just stops working. It'll detect the controller, but the controller won't work in any games. Last time I had to reinstall everything over.

Coreda

I hate DS4windows. Almost every time I disconnect my controller, the software just stops working. It'll detect the controller, but the controller won't work in any games. Last time I had to reinstall everything over.

IIRC Steam has to be closed prior to re-connecting the controller. It's finicky though and can be a PITA with connection issues. I use the older v1.4.261 version.

Anno

The response to Planet Coaster seems crazy positive. I wish I wasn't so garbage at these games. I'm looking forward to seeing cool parks and buildings, though. Frontier now have two pretty solid ongoing titles.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Great games this year.

My top 5:
Doom
Forza Horizon 3
Hitman
Stardew Valley
XCOM 2

question for steamgaffers with organized libraries:

do you have separate categories for games that are 'done' (either 100% or beaten or w/e) and for games that are `bad` or that you wont play again?

Trying to figure out the best way to separate the games that I wont touch again from the rest of my library

Xnz07AN.png

I'm a bit behind in the uncategorised section!

Guess that settles what I'm gonna play next. Will likely end up high in my GOTY - not that difficult with only three that qualify I've played this year, heh.

Hope it's good with kbm since I no longer have a DS3. Would have preferred to play it with a controller and it doesn't look like I'm gonna be able to get one soon :'(

Jawmuncher

I gotta see what I played this year steam wise. I didn't really play much that I found absolutely amazing. It was a pretty weak year in terms of absolutel GOTY contenders imo. Good games, but nothing that stood above the rest.

It might actually be Quantum Break from what I've played.

Burt

I liked Dragon's Dogma a lot, and it's a great value

But the combat is more "looks good" than "is good" and the story is pretty ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I mean, it'd be hard to put over even Dark Souls 3 in a GOTY debate, and there are plenty of games that you could comfortably argue for over Dark Souls 3.

give me momodora goty or give me death

fake edit: Oh, and I finally got around to UnderRail, which came out of Early Access like mid-December 2015 so I'm counting it, and it's definitely fantastic and very much worthy being in the conversation.

Vlad

Hmph, this appears to be a year in which I haven't actually played anything that released this year.

Of course, my GOTY from last year (Infinifactory) only got one vote anyway, so I doubt I'm really shifting the balance of things, anyway.

rtcn63

Fuuuck. I got DS4windows to work again, but it seems the updated (most recent) version doesn't work in at least one game I have installed. The others I tried registered.

Sonic Generations is a lost cause. I could only get it to recognize the gamepad by unchecking "hide DS4", but it won't let me change buttons... which are wrong in-game. Didn't want to install more controller software so I deleted it.

EDIT: Someone had the same problem with Generations years back, so it's not just me http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87491587&postcount=21

Parsnip

I guess we are not missing much after all with the lack of Ezio collection. That Ubisoft magic.

Oh, it's actually Virtuous. That Virtuous magic again.
It wasn't enough for them to ruin Batman, they also had to ruin AC.

Momentary

Banned

header.jpg

Loved the gameplay and the story. Especially everything leading up to the true ending. So dark to me. I just wish that you were able to play as the other character.

I think the only thing I'll play that released this year is Primal. Ehhh.

Anyway, look at this caveman assassinating everyone with panache. It took me about ten hours to realize the rock/sling wasn't just a distraction and you could bean people with it. Once you start setting traps and using the berserk shards you can see the possibility space open up.

Far Cry Primal Stealth Kills (1080p60Fps)

Parsnip

Looks like the Double Fine Adventure blurays are finally ready. And it seems if you got digital stuff, the adventure docu in the humble library has been updated to the remastered version a little while ago as well. I think I'm going to download and watch it again.

Looks like they also added bonus stuff, deleted scenes and whatever to Steam and made a deluxe edition. No idea when they did it though, just noticed it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPpK-wE50EI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj6Xv11uJcw

edit: actually it seems like maybe humble library download links haven't been updated yet. Streaming seems to be.

Strider

I only played a handful of games on steam this year... Spent most of my time on consoles actually.

Big list of stuff I plan to pick up next year though. RotTR, Doom, Owl boy, Pyre, etc.

Nzyme32

Looks like the Double Fine Adventure blurays are finally ready. And it seems if you got digital stuff, the adventure docu in the humble library has been updated to the remastered version a little while ago as well. I think I'm going to download and watch it again.

Looks like they also added bonus stuff, deleted scenes and whatever to Steam and made a deluxe edition. No idea when they did it though, just noticed it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPpK-wE50EI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj6Xv11uJcw

edit: actually it seems like maybe humble library download links haven't been updated yet. Streaming seems to be.

Yeah I got the message; very long time coming, but there is a lot of great extra content thrown in. So overall quite happy with both the game and now this.

On point - Steam keys for the documentary should be in your humble bundles if you went for that tier. They just added a month back I think. Not checked whether the Steam one has some of the extra content, but I doubt it will since it's an extra 30hrs of stuff in there that isn't part of the episodes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'm into ESO, will most likely buy it. The narrative is a step above your usual mmo and theres actually some cool stuff going on in the Khajiit-esque starting area, which I just finished. Razum-Dar is a cool cat, no pun intended.

Theres alot more regular elder scrolls features than I expected too, from lockpicks to stealing to weapons and armor gaining proficiency by usage. Dont get me wrong the majority is still mmo style quests, but theres a lot of voice acting and little details that help. Example:

Theres a quest where you
run around collecting books for a ghost that says they are cursed. After you have them and take them to where they are supposed to be cursed, some lady there says the ghost is a liar and the books shiild be preserved. You can choose how to finish the quest (which actually happens alot) and if you choose to hand over the books instead of destroying it after getting your quest reward from the lady, if you wait around a bit instead of running off to the next quest, youll see that she actually goes on about taking the books to some scholars and whatnot and as she is walking down the road a daedric portal opens up and a energy beam pulls her inside to oblivion one assumes...oops.

It was a beat little detail that could have just aswell not have been there since most of the time like I said you would have ran off to the next quest.

The class system is interesting as its very open ended, you are incentivized to kinda make your own classes, or at least specs. I have 2 sorcerors at the moment, yet neithwr are what you would expect a sorceror would be. One is a dual weild sword fighter that uses lightning form to combat at close range with aoe damage, the other is basically a wow hunter, a bow user with 2 daedric pets. As soon as you step out if your usual confort zone of what a mmo class is, you can do some cool stuff (you can use any weapon or armor like normal elder scrolls games which helps).

So yeah, im having fun for now, im sure I can at the very least get my money's worth out if it if I buy it. Apparently the datk brotherhood and thieves guild stuff from the dlcs is quite good too so Ill probably grab the gold edition.

I haven't played a whole lot of new stuff this year, just lots of older stuff, puzzlers and bundle junk. But my two favs from this year are:

Nabs

I enjoyed Xanadu Next and DOOM the most this year. I haven't bothered with many new games, and probably won't until I upgrade my card.

If my GOTY was baseed on the amount of time I put into a game it would be Football Manager every single year. But since this would be boring I would cast my vote for Stardew Valley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom