• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

xezuru

Is there a breakdown of the DS4 support options somewhere? I guess what I've heard is that it is basically equivalent use of the Steam controller but I've no experience with that UI/options. Also, at that point would I have to straight up uninstall DS4windows to work?

Aaron D.

Christ I want to Day One Tyranny so bad.

But I'm knee-deep in Farm Sim 17, and I've barely touched Civ VI or Stellaris: Levithans DLC (both of which I pre-ordered).

I really need to figure out how to become independently wealthy. :/

MadGear

So take this a grain of salt but there is a leaked list of Season 2 characters in SF5

Toss in Gouki and that's 7 characters, so I do hope we get at least 3 completely NEW characters if not just 2.

I wonder, am I the only one expecting them to drop support for the PC version at the end of the current season? I know they were quick to resolve the rootkit incident but at that point I lost all hope for the PC version of the game. I really like the game but I haven't played a minute since then. I would love to be proven wrong though, especially because of Akuma and Sodom (if that turns out to be true).

Nzyme32

Christ I want to Day One Tyranny so bad.

But I'm knee-deep in Farm Sim 17, and I've barely touched Civ VI or Stellaris: Levithans DLC (both of which I pre-ordered).

I really need to figure out how to become independently wealthy. :/

I've had a similar problem - - but just ended up buying it, then ended up doing the OT, which has ended up making me more interested in it. Gonna play it slowly up till Christmas, then properly sit down through it. It should be the last game I pick up this year. I similarly have way too many games to play both recent and older, so this will be the first holiday sale with very little spending.

Really hoping Tyranny is as good as it appears to be.

Phinor

10 minutes before Humble Mobile Bundle focusing on board games.

Galaxy Trucker is genuinely one of the best board gaming apps I've ever seen and it's one of the two games leaked so far. The other being Ticket to Ride which again is almost perfect digital version but I do kind of dislike how much the DLC costs compared to the base game. Then again, the base game is enough.

Phinor

I wonder why the mobile bundles are never for ios

They can sideload apps on Android (manually with apk files or automatically with Humble's own app) but can't do anything like that on iOS. Generating keys costs way too much/is practically impossible for small developers in both iOS and Google Play. iOS bundles will never happen unless Apple changes things.

Also because of sideloading, these games require separate patches from developers. When they patch Play Google version, Humble version gets none of that, it's all a manual process and it has failed in the past. Case in point, 80 Days got a huge update around a year ago every platform including Android but only on Googpe Play. The Humble version remains unpatched although the developers said they would patch it.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
RPS review of Motorsport Manager is up.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/11/07/motorsport-manager-review-pc/

Sure, your drivers will punch above their weight from time to time, but most of the work is done before a race begins. Whether you’re fine-tuning the balance of a car during practice laps, building new parts to improve a crucial component, or hiring staff to work with drivers and their vehicles, the ultimate goal is to put the best possible person in the best possible car on the day of a race. Achieving that goal will take you down a long, hard road.

One of Motorsport Manager’s best features is the changing nature of those rules though, and the way that you can influence them to make as uneven a playing field as possible. There are loads of different regulations for each of the three racing divisions and at the end of a season, you can exert influence to try and have them changed to suit your style, your drivers, and your designs, Whether that means locking down parts so they can’t be custom-built, or changing rules around refueling or qualification.

Just as when designing new parts for your cars, with one eye on the demands of upcoming tracks, mucking about with the rules is all about giving your particular set of tools the greatest possible chance of victory. And that’s the heart of Motorsport Manager; it’s a game about understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your team, and deciding whether to bolster the strengths and hide the weaknesses, or to create something more balanced.

Three seasons in, I’m still terrible. When I notice every other car slipping into the pits and realise I probably should have done the same, I panic. Even though races don’t demand constant attention, with speed controls and the ability to pause at any time, the fact that there are usually only three or four major decisions spread across the entire event magnifies the importance of every click. When a driver starts swearing over the radio and expressing concern that you’re not looking out for him/her – that’s a rotten feeling.

Motorsport Manager is all about numbers, and they’re displayed explicitly, but there’s plenty of character in the personalities of your crew. Most drivers are easy to handle but sometimes egos get in the way of a good race strategy and it’s even possible to cause upsets when allocating newly designed parts. Favouritism doesn’t go down well.

I’m unlikely to be hooked on Motorsport Manager for the rest of the year, as will be the case with Football Manager, but that’s mostly because I don’t particularly care for real life racing. It’s far from impenetrable if you don’t understand the sport itself though and the pit stops are a more immediately responsive tactical instruction than anything in Football Manager, which gives a good sense of direct control. Success is hard-won, a process of long hours developing headquarters and parts, as well as finding the right staff, but failure can be the result of a momentary loss of control or courage.

It’s a tough game, in which I often feel like I’m grinding my way toward the top rather than discovering brilliant new tactics or innovative strategies. That makes me feel a little distant from my team, and makes this a game to play while burning through podcasts in the background rather than to focus all of my attention on, but I’m enjoying the challenge. I feel like I earn my victories and the disasters are usually my fault as well. It’s hard to escape the sense that I’m always reacting, whether to the weather or the placement of a particular track on the calendar, rather than creating a team with an identity of my own choosing. Maybe that’s because I’m a terrible Motorsport Manager, but I think it might just be part of the job.

Not a lot of higher res screencaps from the review, so I scrounged around the web to find some:

XeUyT1V.jpg

Ay4jaA0.jpg

2YmWGe3.jpg

tHPdIyR.jpg

EGik2iX.jpg

wIm4Na7.jpg

p5XAW4i.jpg

zFryuob.jpg

Ascheroth

Well guys, I've completed Xanadu Next (at around ~20 hours, but I took my time.)

In short, the game is just really, really good. It's simply a blast to play and gives you this "I'll just play another 10 minutes to finish this... (2 hours later)" feeling.
As others said before, closest to describe it is probably a more RPG-heavy Ys game with combat that emphasizes positioning.
It has an interconnected world and level design that kind of reminds me a bit of Dark Souls, where you have your hub area and when you go out adventuring you unlock shortcuts that connect back to it.
You also find new items that give you new abilities for exploration and finding secrets periodically, not unlike a metroidvania.
And it's pretty challenging and has some great bosses.

Story is actually very good as well. The story starts seemingly perfunctory, just as a means to get you to explore the island the game is set on. But as you find ancient texts in the ruins a lot of backstory is revealed, and the 'present day' plot is also unfolding more and more, all of which builds up to and ties together into an amazing conclusion.

So yeah, go buy it already :p

Benedict

Master Spy is on sale on both Steam and Humble Widget
As having steam with € prices it's a tiny bit cheaper on Humble Widget $1.99 compared to €1.99, and you also get a DRM-free copy. But I have to pay with real money, but a fraction also goes to charity.
On Steam I can pay with card-money.
This is a dilemma...

Corpekata

Banned
Is anyone that uses MSI afterburner/ Rivatuner finding it conflicts with a lot of the Steam Overlays on games lately? Used to not be much of an issue, now it seems like every other game I play I have to shut it down or make an exception to get it to work. Wonder if there's something I can do to get rid of so many conflicts that's less of a hassle.

Wouldn't be a big deal normally, but it seems like the Steam Controller doesn't like it when it can't hook into the overlay, and the controller is treated as like how it acts on desktop.

My ISP recently increased my monthly data cap from 350 GB to 1 TB. Thank god...I was getting tired of stressing out over what games to download and trying to conserve bandwidth each month.

Nabs

Is anyone that uses MSI afterburner/ Rivatuner finding it conflicts with a lot of the Steam Overlays on games lately? Used to not be much of an issue, now it seems like every other game I play I have to shut it down or make an exception to get it to work. Wonder if there's something I can do to get rid of so many conflicts that's less of a hassle.

Wouldn't be a big deal normally, but it seems like the Steam Controller doesn't like it when it can't hook into the overlay, and the controller is treated as like how it acts on desktop.

I read something about that in one of the performance threads (Skyrim?). I think the Rivatuner devs had added a detection delay to improve steam overlay support, but recently removed it to force steam devs to handle the problem themselves. Reverting back an update or two might solve your problem.

edit: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5331062&postcount=42 they talk about configuring the delayed injection in that thread

My ISP recently increased my monthly data cap from 350 GB to 1 TB. Thank god...I was getting tired of stressing out over what games to download and trying to conserve bandwidth each month.

I still dont have a clue how people can live with a data-cap.

Even 1TB wouldnt be enough for me. I mean if I would have a HDD crash and would need to redownload all my games, it would already be 3TB. My wife watches her shows in 1080p every day.
Then having other people in the household doing similar things.

Erekiddo

I still dont have a clue how people can live with a data-cap.

Even 1TB wouldnt be enough for me. I mean if I would have a HDD crash and would need to redownload all my games, it would already be 3TB. My wife watches her shows in 1080p every day.
Then having other people in the household doing similar things.

I work for a particular company that shall not be named, and I've definitely seen both sides of the data cap problem. There's reports that can be run that can very easily identify abusers of the system. I'm talking about extreme cases here, like 500TB a week. Is it fair that people monopolizing bandwidth are impacting other users? No. Dozens of customers complaining about slow speeds due to one inconsiderate jerk.

Do I believe data capping is the answer?
Hell no.

Hey I'm finally playing The Talos Principle and am so impressed. That game is genuinely fantastic.

The puzzles are just the perfect balance in difficulty, and the story is playing out in a really cool way.

Can't wait to keep playing it, and grab the DLC in the Black Friday sale.

As someone who doesn't really love Serious Sam, I'm super glad the team had a chance to make something like this.

Momentary

Banned
Trilllion is bad. It's a bad roguelike combat game fused to an okay-ish waifu raising game.

I will say that IFI's Cyber Dimension Neptune title will probably be insta bought by me. I also need to jump on that Zombie's game. I heard it was better than Neptunia U.

Saty

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-11-07-patrick-bach-leaving-dice-report
Patrick Bach is leaving EA DICE, according to a report from PlayStation Lifestyle. The site reported the news today citing a source familiar with the situation, then updated with confirmation quotes from Bach and EA.

"I've had an epic ride at DICE and EA, filled with amazingly creative and passionate people, and unforgettable experiences with our player community," Bach said. "I'll certainly be playing Battlefield 1 for a long, long time to come, and I look forward to seeing what's next from the incredible team at DICE."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom