• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still wonder when they will update the client-part.

I mean the library still looks the same. I mean the Store itself is updated, but Library or even Profiles, Activity, Greenlight are still using the old design.

Hektor

I mean the library still looks the same. I mean the Store itself is updated, but Library or even Profiles, Activity, Greenlight are still using the old design.

I forgot, wasn't there even a green site left somewhere?

jediyoshi

A1y.gif

I forgot, wasn't there even a green site left somewhere?

Could be. I just think its strange. When I would work in a company and they push a design update for the new store, I would ask myself:

"If we update the storepage, wouldnt we need to also update all our other sites like Greenlightpage, Activity-feed, badges, group, inventory etc? It would be strange, if only one part has a new design with new colors and style, while others wont have, wouldnt it?"

I mean I really like the new store design, but why is that the only thing updated?

Durante

Xanadu Next is really good everyone. Clearly, the Steam update is a failure if it doesn't increase its sales by 200% in the next 24 hours.

Bohemia Interactive's Incubator program is putting out Ylands a few-polygoned island survival game with "time limited trial." Well, I thought it meant available for a limited time. It's actually a demo on a timer and you have a time limit of 60 minutes. I quit out and deleted it. Check you later, maybe, Ylands.

Erekiddo

Is there a reason Steam remains reluctant on letting you redeem codes online? Enough fraud as it is?

I hate having code(s) and having to wait until I'm near a PC with a client on it.

Xanadu Next is really good everyone. Clearly, the Steam update is a failure if it doesn't increase its sales by 200% in the next 24 hours.

Its on my wishlist, but only AAA wishlisted games seem to be on the slide. I see Dishonored 2 there and Deus Ex, but no animu or waifu games.

Nzyme32

Can you briefly explain what's so good about?

My recurring problem is that I can't shake the impression of "Anime" games in particular having a narrative and set of characters that just fail to enthuse or interest me at all. There are some great exceptions like Valkyria that I would have missed if not pushed to them.

My recurring problem is that I can't shake the impression of "Anime" games in particular having a narrative and set of characters that just fail to enthuse or interest me at all. There are some great exceptions like Valkyria that I would have missed if not pushed to them.

Xanadu, as I heard it, is more like the japanese "Dark Souls" kind of style than Neptunia.

Ascheroth

Well guys, I've completed Xanadu Next (at around ~20 hours, but I took my time.)

In short, the game is just really, really good. It's simply a blast to play and gives you this "I'll just play another 10 minutes to finish this... (2 hours later)" feeling.
As others said before, closest to describe it is probably a more RPG-heavy Ys game with combat that emphasizes positioning.
It has an interconnected world and level design that kind of reminds me a bit of Dark Souls, where you have your hub area and when you go out adventuring you unlock shortcuts that connect back to it.
You also find new items that give you new abilities for exploration and finding secrets periodically, not unlike a metroidvania.
And it's pretty challenging and has some great bosses.

Story is actually very good as well. The story starts seemingly perfunctory, just as a means to get you to explore the island the game is set on. But as you find ancient texts in the ruins a lot of backstory is revealed, and the 'present day' plot is also unfolding more and more, all of which builds up to and ties together into an amazing conclusion.

So yeah, go buy it already :p
I also wouldn't call it an "anime" game.

rtcn63

Well guys, I've completed Xanadu Next (at around ~20 hours, but I took my time.)

In short, the game is just really, really good. It's simply a blast to play and gives you this "I'll just play another 10 minutes to finish this... (2 hours later)" feeling.

Xanadu |OT| Couldn't escape if I wanted to

Durante

It's not at all an anime game. (I like anime games, but it's not one)

It's not even a game about characters or story (though it has quite a bit of lore, and the translation/writing on that is pretty good!).

It's an action RPG with great combat, awesome bosses, and amazing dungeon exploration and design. Like the best Ys games, it distills the experience to the very essentials, implements them amazingly well, and has great pacing.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Things that Valve should let users turn off on the front page of the store:

Curators
The "featured and recommended" column at the top of the page that takes up too much space
Discovery Queue
Vive and Steam Link/Controller tabs

I dislike Valve's decision to put the different release lists (upcoming games, top sellers, etc). beneath all of these.

kagamin

I still don't understand what people really mean by anime, it's too generic of a term really and doesn't explain anything, if you're talking about specific kinds of tropes why don't you name a sub-genre instead of trying to single out an entire medium with lots of different niches? I know it's a meme at this point but srs.

Backlogger

I still don't understand what people really mean by anime, it's too generic of a term really and doesn't explain anything, if you're talking about specific kinds of tropes why don't you name a sub-genre instead of trying to single out an entire medium with lots of different niches? I know it's a meme at this point but srs.

Well, the people blocking out all anime don't even know it to that level of detail to begin with.

donny2112

Maybe they don't want to know the details of anime as what they see of it is so offputting to not be worth delving deeper to try to be more precise in their dislike.

kagamin

Maybe they don't want to know the details of anime as what they see of it is so offputting to not be worth delving deeper to try to be more precise in their dislike.

The same could be honestly said of so many overly tropey shows on American television and on streaming services as of late. I'm not saying tropes are bad (that's just untrue) but if I was willing to take the time to find shows I like outside of my area of expertise, I should more than be able to expect others too as well.

for me, basically everything that features japanese girls with such high pitched voices that only dogs can hear them.

Corpekata

Banned
You have to be deliberately obtuse to not understand what people mean when they say anime.

Just like when people say they don't like JRPG tropes and some dork is like WELL WUT ABOUT DARK SOULS?!? as if they can't possibly have understood what that person meant.

MRORANGE

I got a cheap 3.2" wavesahre lcd off ebay and managed to get it working, at 60fps, looks amazingly good with it's 320x240 screen and people have been using this screen for GBA retreopie projects.

3.2" (right) next to a 2.4" (left)

UPD0MsZ.jpg

2.8 wasn't in focus so looks washed out, is actually brighter than the 3.2

Great screen, worth 12 quid I spent on it.

kagamin

ibn Saïd;223453631 said:
for me, basically everything that features japanese girls with such high pitched voices that only dogs can hear them.

That's like the opposite of Takane. :p
(i.e. best singer in all of iDOLM@STER)

You have to be deliberately obtuse to not understand what people mean when they say anime.

Just like when people say they don't like JRPG tropes and some dork is like WELL WUT ABOUT DARK SOULS?!? as if they can't possibly have understood what that person meant.

I'm just overly pedantic, indulge me.

Salaadin

Hmm. I saw that "great indies of 2016" thread the other day and was intrigued by Momodora. Came *this* close to buying it but I held out and threw it on my wishlist instead. Today, Steam emails me to say that its on sale. Hows the soundtrack to that game? Worth buying the bundle?

I dont know whats been wrong with me but Im so out of the loop with games these days and really trying to get back into things. Anybody want to recommend anything else from this weeks sale?

Kyougar

I feel like starting a 50+ hour RPG that I already own but can't decide which.. Help me decide SteamGAF?

• Baldur's Gate EE (For an Evil playthrough)
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC (Never played it)
  • Icewind Dale EE (For an Evil playthrough - not sure if worth it)
  • Planescape: Torment (Because why not)
  • Fallout 3 GOTY (Played 1 & 2, never played a 3D Fallout game yet)
  • Mass Effect 3 (Played 1 & 2, never played 3)
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen (Never played it)
  • Utima VII Pt 1 & 2 (Never finished it)
  • Wizardry 6 (Never played the series)

- Baldurs gate if you want Story (even if BG2 is vastly better and longer)
- Icewind dale if you want mostly (hard) battles
- Torment if you want mostly a good story

Nzyme32

Xanadu, as I heard it, is more like the japanese "Dark Souls" kind of style than Neptunia.

I also wouldn't call it an "anime" game.

It's not at all an anime game. (I like anime games, but it's not one)

It's not even a game about characters or story (though it has quite a bit of lore, and the translation/writing on that is pretty good!).

It's an action RPG with great combat, awesome bosses, and amazing dungeon exploration and design. Like the best Ys games, it distills the experience to the very essentials, implements them amazingly well, and has great pacing.

Really helpful, thanks!

I should point, when I say "anime" it is a huge and almost certainly erroneous generalisation that I tend to do to a lot of games with a particular style that I then associate with a host of tedious tropes. I'm well aware that there are plenty of excellent game that are not like that, but it's something I still haven't worked my head around yet. Ys series was meant to help with that but my time is still taken up with other games that get in the way.

Durante

The Ys games on Steam are not particularly "anime" (the later games in the series tend more towards that), but they are still a lot more anime than Xanadu Next.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
"Great, you can now filter out owned games" -> "Err, this only applies to the Top 10s on the front page and not the complete lists themselves".

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
"Great, you can now filter out owned games" -> "Err, this only applies to the Top 10s on the front page and not the complete lists themselves".

It's a start. This is Valve we're talking about.

Nzyme32

This is the most infuriating thing I've seen. All the additions I like end up being meaningless since I'm not on the store front the whole time anyway

This is amazing.

It is, but I find it annoying that it only exists there and on the main pane.

Ascheroth

Well, this is Valve we're talking about. It will take some time until they get their new update sorted out and all.
Maybe in the Discovery Update 3... Oh wait, nevermind, this is as good as it will get.

Parsnip

Oh, the store update is live, cool.

Is anyone that uses MSI afterburner/ Rivatuner finding it conflicts with a lot of the Steam Overlays on games lately? Used to not be much of an issue, now it seems like every other game I play I have to shut it down or make an exception to get it to work. Wonder if there's something I can do to get rid of so many conflicts that's less of a hassle.

Wouldn't be a big deal normally, but it seems like the Steam Controller doesn't like it when it can't hook into the overlay, and the controller is treated as like how it acts on desktop.

In case you didn't find the answer in the guru3d thread Nabs linked, here's what you can do to change the delayed injection stuff back without rolling back versions.
Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner Statistics Server\Profiles\ and open the Global file in a txt editor. Find the InjectionDelayTriggers=IGO64.dll line and edit it so it says InjectionDelayTriggers=IGO64.dll,GameOverlayRenderer64.dll and save the file.

Basically it's just adding the 64bit Steam overlay back to the delayed injection config so it doesn't automatically kill itself when Afterburner is running.

Wok

TAGS TO FILTER OUT
Pick up to three tags you wish to see less of:
  • Anime
  • Visual Novel
  • Free to Play

I went with the 3 categories given above, translated to French, just to give the feature a try. It seems my French store would not recognize the English tags.

otBISEU.png

I have also removed VR games, by unticking the last row:

hv0nhG9.png

sadblob

I feel like starting a 50+ hour RPG that I already own but can't decide which.. Help me decide SteamGAF?

• Baldur's Gate EE (For an Evil playthrough)
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC (Never played it)
  • Icewind Dale EE (For an Evil playthrough - not sure if worth it)
  • Planescape: Torment (Because why not)
  • Fallout 3 GOTY (Played 1 & 2, never played a 3D Fallout game yet)
  • Mass Effect 3 (Played 1 & 2, never played 3)
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen (Never played it)
  • Utima VII Pt 1 & 2 (Never finished it)
  • Wizardry 6 (Never played the series)
Baldur's Gate with and evil party is IMO the most fun, simply because Edwin and Dorn are pretty OP.

DE:HR is simply amazing.

Can't go wrong with Planescape either.

Mass Effect 3's gameplay is very good (basically 2 but better), and the story itself isn't bad until the ending.

I would pass Fallout 3 and go with New Vegas instead.

Haven't played the others but looking them up I'm tempted to do it. Does anyone know if they aged well?

Popstar

Still can't filter Weeklong Deals to just "Software" to see if anything interesting is on sale. :(

But Momodora: RUTM is on sale so yay! *yoink*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom