• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam | November 2016 - Rally to Restore Fear and/or Sanity in the Steam Community

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I'm finally playing The Talos Principle and am so impressed. That game is genuinely fantastic.

The puzzles are just the perfect balance in difficulty, and the story is playing out in a really cool way.

Can't wait to keep playing it, and grab the DLC in the Black Friday sale.

As someone who doesn't really love Serious Sam, I'm super glad the team had a chance to make something like this.

That's pretty much my exact thoughts on it too, the difficulty felt perfectly tailored to my brain, really loved that game, still need to get around to beating the DLC for it.

Galdere

Neo Member
So it looks like the first game from John Smedley's new studio, Hero's Song, will be releasing this morning into Early Access. I'm tentatively excited as it looks like an interestng crossover between a Diablo-em-up and the adventure mode in Dwarf Fortress.

Anyone else followed the game much or excited to try it?

Thanks for mentioning this, hadn't heard of it.

I've just invested in it. Hope it's worth it as it does seem very ambitious, especially in the timescale aimed for, but it does have a fair sized team working on it.

that's not the pre-order DLC, the pre-order is family kick-back dlc

yeah...that's just the free weapon pack they said would be available after launch

and of course when asked about the patch on Steam they said they'll give details "real soon"...after saying "soon" and "around the corner" for 3+ weeks now

it's laughable at this point just how out of touch they are

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I thought I would share a few of my impressions from games I played and enjoyed this year during my Extra Life live-stream.

Slime Rancher - Played this for approximately 2 hours, and this game was absolutely better than I thought it would be. Even though it's still in Early Access, there was an incredible amount of content and variety already. Basically, this is a 3D take on the Harvest Moon formula that has strong "base building" mechanics in addition to adventuring outside of your base to pick up more or different slimes that can be used to generate revenue that can be used to level up your base. It's difficult to explain but was easy to pick up and play. The thing that surprised me the most was the sheer number of available upgrade options currently available. This game is going to be amazing once it releases from early access, it's already pretty special.

ABZÛ - Played for about 2 hours also, and finished it. Do you like fish? Everyone likes fish. Abzu is basically "Underwater Journey", so if you liked Journey you'll probably like Abzu. No real dialog or story is given directly and instead relies on the player finding visual hints and details about what is going on. The music and graphics were top notch and absolutely stole the show. At $19.99, it's difficult to recommend considering how short it is and how little replayability it has.

Batman - The Telltale Series - I played the first episode, and I have to admit I liked it more than I thought I would. Despite having a few issues (Telltale account required for "crowd mode", controller input detection issues, and terrible framerates) I actually really liked the game. Although more in the realm of "interactive fiction" than full-blown adventure game, I like Telltale's approach to the source material and will definitely be playing the rest of the episodes in the series.

Virginia - Played for 1.5 hours, completed the game. I didn't know much about this game before diving in, and I'm glad for that. I won't give away too many spoilers, so no worries. The music and sound direction in this game were absolutely incredible and was performed by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. I had no idea going into it that the story wasn't voiced in any way, so I thought it was interesting the way they were able to convey so much emotion in just character movement and music. The story was definitely "out there". Sadly with almost no perceivable replayability, it can be somewhat difficult to recommend for $10 - but if you consider it like the cost of a movie ticket it isn't so bad. The game felt like a good movie, and was about the same length.

INSIDE - Played for 1.7 hours, made it about half way through the game. While obviously drawing on Limbo for it's play style, this game felt like a lot more cohesive experience. The puzzles were similar though different enough to be refreshing. Once again we have a $20 game that is about 3 hours long making it somewhat difficult to recommend, but of all the games I played that fall into this price / enjoyment scale I felt that INSIDE was among the best of them.

Firewatch - Played 3.2 hours before finishing the game. Really, really impressive game in almost every conceivable way. I loved the atmosphere the game provided, and the general sense of unease. I was absolutely floored that the game not only remembered inane choices I made, but that the consequences of those decisions were also fully voice-acted. Although somewhat limited in scope, this game felt really immersive and I couldn't stop playing it until I had finished. Unfortunately yet again we have a $20 game with a 3 hour experience so it's still difficult to recommend. Definitely pick this up when it's on sale though, this game is going on my SteamGAF GOTY vote ballot for sure.

In case you missed it and wanted to watch, archive footage is available here.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Don't like it but I get used to it

I use the store rarely anyway

Hektor

This somewhat explains the screenshot rules from last week.

Though how do I get it to show the screens with mature content? Half the games have the warning.

There is a new menu when you click on your name at the top right.

y7ztLV2.png

Seems not to be properly working yet tho, as far as mature content goes.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
You can finally exclude games with specific tags!

Goodbye anime

Annubis

Virginia - Played for 1.5 hours, completed the game. I didn't know much about this game before diving in, and I'm glad for that. I won't give away too many spoilers, so no worries. The music and sound direction in this game were absolutely incredible and was performed by the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra. I had no idea going into it that the story wasn't voiced in any way, so I thought it was interesting the way they were able to convey so much emotion in just character movement and music. The story was definitely "out there". Sadly with almost no perceivable replayability, it can be somewhat difficult to recommend for $10 - but if you consider it like the cost of a movie ticket it isn't so bad. The game felt like a good movie, and was about the same length.

I watched that part and yet I have no idea what I watched.

NeoRaider

It looks like Hangar 13 and 2K forgot about their crappy PC version of Mafia 3, just like players forgot about their game. One month without any updates and communication.

Plesiades

TAGS TO FILTER OUT
Pick up to three tags you wish to see less of:
  • Anime
  • Visual Novel
  • Free to Play
;)

It also seems that they remove games you own from the main "Top Sellers" list...

Nzyme32

You can finally exclude games with specific tags!

Goodbye anime

My first thought was - YEEEEEAAAAAAAHH FUCK YOU ANIME LEWD BULLSHIT

Then a fraction of a second later - I realised how unsure of that I am. As much as I hate that brand of Anime / VN stuff - if I completely block them out I will miss some absolute gems that could come out.

I had to really be pushed into Valkyria Chronicles, and that turned out to be one of the better decisions. Quite a lot of folks are pointing me in the direction of Silver Case, and it certainly looks much better than I assumed, but again blocking out a tag would make me miss that stuff unless GAF or other sources point me to them.... interesting

Hektor

Can you deactivate recommendations from the featured list?
Cos i really couldn't care less about random ass opinions from people that added me 5 years ago to flame me after a match of Dota or Counterstrike.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member

Then a fraction of a second later - I realised how unsure of that I am. As much as I hate that brand of Anime / VN stuff - if I completely block them out I will miss some absolute gems that could come out.

I had to really be pushed into Valkyria Chronicles, and that turned out to be one of the better decisions. Quite a lot of folks are pointing me in the direction of Silver Case, and it certainly looks much better than I assumed, but again blocking out a tag would make me miss that stuff unless GAF or other sources point me to them.... interesting
If they release you will find out soon enough... in this thread.

cyba89

The topseller list is now so far down. I don't need the "Popular among friends", the Vive/Steam controller stuff and these BIG BLUE BUTTONS.

Mouseover previews are pretty cool.

The new Steam store is pretty nifty, except for the part where it causes my browser to lock up. I now have a tab that I cannot close by normal means.

Also, oddly enough the store suggests that I exclude 'Indie' games, though the vast majority of games I play are Indie games. It's nice to be able to exclude F2P and MMOs, however.

Quick edit: Wow, the new preview when hovering over new releases, etc. is pretty great.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Aughh, Enchanted Steam's All New Releases Tab doesn't work with that. :(
(Yet)

Yet. I've got a lot of work ahead of me it seems.

I dig it.

Does this break Enhanced Steam at all?

Some users are reporting issues with the Steam store page crashing the browser container when attempting to scroll down. This has to do with the "Home page customization" settings. If this happens to you, go into options -> reset options (at the bottom on the right) and that should resolve the issue.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

Game tags you add to the filter list aren't completely blocked from appearing on the storefront. You'll just see less of them.

Plus games like Valkyria Chronicles and The Silver Case tend get a big push in these threads for being good games, so you're unlikely to miss the really good ones if you follow the Steam threads, or gaming threads in general.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I'm playing Shadow Warrior and having a lot of fun with it. Slice & dice & spray, feels good man

TAGS TO FILTER OUT
Pick up to three tags you wish to see less of:
  • Anime
  • Visual Novel
  • Free to Play
;)

It also seems that they remove games you own from the main "Top Sellers" list...

I actually picked those 3, great tips

illusionary

I feel like starting a 50+ hour RPG that I already own but can't decide which.. Help me decide SteamGAF?

• Baldur's Gate EE (For an Evil playthrough)
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution DC (Never played it)
  • Icewind Dale EE (For an Evil playthrough - not sure if worth it)
  • Planescape: Torment (Because why not)
  • Fallout 3 GOTY (Played 1 & 2, never played a 3D Fallout game yet)
  • Mass Effect 3 (Played 1 & 2, never played 3)
  • Might and Magic: World of Xeen (Never played it)
  • Utima VII Pt 1 & 2 (Never finished it)
  • Wizardry 6 (Never played the series)
I want to say Deus Ex, but it#s clear that Planescape: Torment should come first here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom