• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
LTTP here, what's went wrong with FF13?

The PC port:
- It's 60GB while the console versions are 20GB and <50GB
- It's 720p locked
- The cutscenes, which are 1080p on PS3, are 720p

The game:
- It's incredibly long and the first half of it is basically walking forward through straight-ish corridors
- The characters are all shrill and obnoxious, and the writing is terrible, clichéd, filled with stupid declarations and nonsense words
- The bulk of the world-building is done not through the game, but through a library function in the menus
- The story is not interesting or satisfying
- The scope of the game feels tiny because it is linear and you don't have the opportunity to revisit places or people
- Personally I think it's not a very good looking game largely because I think the designs are pretty bad and it suffers from flat boxy environment design and hideous floor textures. A few environments are very pretty, though.
- The equipment and progression systems are both a little obtuse in-game and take too long to open up so the first few chapters feel very restrictive

The battle system is pretty good. I will give it that.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Well seeing as I'm doing nothing FF released for a day someone want to tell me what container the video files are in the FFXIII install directory? Just the file extentions will do. Cheers.

Looks like WMP files

xxw9Tfa.png

Arthea

LTTP here, what's went wrong with FF13?

more or less everything except audio. (><)
it was expected for that price, but we still hoped for better.

edited: beaten to pulp again, why I even try

edit2: also stump is wrong about one thing, it is one of the best looking games of previous gen.

Tizoc

Guys. FF13 was $15.

What we're we expecting?

Have you played FF4 on Steam which is similar price? Cuz I dropped actual money on that and even with the graphics leaving sooooooooooooooooo much to be desired, I enjoyed it because of the gameplay.

Outland was $10 and is a good port.

Raiden 3 was $10 (got it for $9), and while it's not the greatest port ever, it runs fine, looks fine and plays well.

You can say what you want about me, usually if a game's gameplay is good and interests me I can still enjoy it regardless of graphics.
It is funny though how FF4's 30 FPS doesn't bother me like Viking: Battle for Asgard, but that might be because FF4 was more fun for me than Viking.

Not even the damn PS3 cutscenes, and locked at 720p? What the actual fuck Square.

Goddamn, the CGI cutscenes aren't even as good as the PS3 version? Why is this 60 gigs?
Kinda regret selling the PS3 version now though I don't see myself replaying this anyway, just figured I'd pick up the trilogy during a steam sale since I haven't played the third game yet. Oh well.

baterism

30 minutes impression of FF13... pretty cool, I got it, Lightning seems to be pretty cool and stoic. My last experience with FF is FF9, change in 13 is quite radical. That's good, innovation is good. I got it SE, I got it Toriyama.

How about Dragon Quest 8? I heard it was rebuilt using Unity for mobile port, put some work on it then release it on Steam perhaps?

Chiggs

Gold Member
The PC port:
- It's 60GB while the console versions are 20GB and <50GB
- It's 720p locked
- The cutscenes, which are 1080p on PS3, are 720p

The game:
- It's incredibly long and the first half of it is basically walking forward through straight-ish corridors
- The characters are all shrill and obnoxious, and the writing is terrible, clichéd, filled with stupid declarations and nonsense words
- The bulk of the world-building is done not through the game, but through a library function in the menus
- The story is not interesting or satisfying
- The scope of the game feels tiny because it is linear and you don't have the opportunity to revisit places or people
- Personally I think it's not a very good looking game largely because I think the designs are pretty bad and it suffers from flat boxy environment design and hideous floor textures. A few environments are very pretty, though.
- The equipment and progression systems are both a little obtuse in-game and take too long to open up so the first few chapters feel very restrictive

The battle system is pretty good. I will give it that.

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up. What a crap game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone really expect FFXIII to be a great port? I admit it's worse than I expected, but it really shouldn't surprise anyone.

Sounds like Durante is on it though.
I did, yes :(

I didn't imagine I wouldn't be able to play it at my monitor's native resolution, that's for sure.

Cutscenes that are not worse and more compressed than the console ones.
Resolution options.

There would be 90% less complaints if they managed even that. (I hope) no one expected tons of customization and settings, but there is no excuse for this.

Aren't the cutscenes just the 720p ones from the XBox 360 version, to cut down on the already gigantic download size? I haven't heard that they are any worse or more compressed.

Miguel81

30 minutes impression of FF13... pretty cool, I got it, Lightning seems to be pretty cool and stoic. My last experience with FF is FF9, change in 13 is quite radical. That's good, innovation is good. I got it SE, I got it Toriyama.

How about Dragon Quest 8? I heard it was rebuilt using Unity for mobile port, put some work on it then release it on Steam perhaps?

You're crushing me here. Then I won't have to mess with PCSX2 any longer.

Tizoc

The game:
The first half of the game is not corridors. The first prologue? Yeah you can call it corridors, but the majority of the later chapters, up til Gran Pulse are all in small area maps.

You can use the term 'nonsense word' with any words used in fiction. Although I get what you mean, you can't be hatin' on Sahz boss man....

Goddamn, the CGI cutscenes aren't even as good as the PS3 version? Why is this 60 gigs?

The game has not only dual audio, but also separate video files for both languages since they are lip-synced to the language.
Aren't the cutscenes just the 720p ones from the XBox 360 version, to cut down on the already gigantic download size? I haven't heard that they are any worse or more compressed.

I'm not sure to be honest, I just know that the files are huge but still look terrible.

Dr Dogg

Looks like WMP files

http://i.imgur.com/xxw9Tfa.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Huh I could have sworn someone mentioned there was a Bink dll in the install directory. Was half expecting to have to wrestle a bunch of bik files to the right sizes.

But still WMP? I thought that they are photo containers where as WMA is audio and WMV is for video. Unless Square has a funky format themselves. Do they open in MPC? Actually that should tell you the codec used as well, well if they work that is.

chronomac

Here's what I don't get: If you're going to put out a PC port of a game like Final Fantasy XIII, why do it if you aren't going to allow people to change resolutions and other graphical options? What's the point? The people who get excited about PC games are going to spread the word that the port sucks and the rating on Steam will dip, not to mention sales probably. You're just limiting the success of your game right out of the gate.

Tizoc

From the FF13 thread.
Your GPU is downclocking. It's 60 FPS on my 770 at 3200x1800.
dump067_framedump_posr1oua.jpg

That's from the framedump, in-game it currently looks like this:
screenshot_2014-10-09b2p0v.png

Fixing the "small" stuff is usually the hard part, so don't get your hopes up yet.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I was going to buy Invisible War just to see if it was as bad as I remember it being, but the gamers gate version doesn't come with a Steam code. Oh well, no big loss :p

He only has a Mac, and as such, can't play most of the PC games.
By his own admission, he's not interested in buying a gaming PC, prefers to play on consoles/handhelds.
(His loss, obviously).

It's preferences and all, but personally I've been moving towards PC and handhelds, since both platforms have cheaper games than on consoles and both tend to have games that are just as entertaining to me.

I'm actually working on a "trashbot" of my own for Enhanced Steam. Basically, it will add a "Delete" button to coupons, and clicking it will automatically initiate a trade offer to the trash can which will, in turn, be automatically accepted.

Goodbye, trashbot and coupon dumpster, hello Enhanced Bot.

Everything.

Absolutely no settings or options to change visual performance, movies are more compressed than PS3, frame rate is all over the place. Fixed at 720p.

Sort of glad that I didn't bother downloading it now.

But that's just going from the 1080p of the PS3 to 720p of the PC version, the XBox 360 version already had 720p cutscenes, are they worse than those? Because the person I was quoting said that the cutscenes were "worse and more compressed" than the console versions of the game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Huh I could have sworn someone mentioned there was a Bink dll in the install directory. Was half expecting to have to wrestle a bunch of bik files to the right sizes.

But still WMP? I thought that they are photo containers where as WMA is audio and WMV is for video. Unless Square has a funky format themselves. Do they open in MPC? Actually that should tell you the codec used as well, well if they work that is.

Sorry I should have mentioned, not my pic. :(

I won't have access to it until later tonight so hopefully someone else here can answer your questions.

Porcupine

But that's just going from the 1080p of the PS3 to 720p of the PC version, the XBox 360 version already had 720p cutscenes, are they worse than those? Because the person I was quoting said that the cutscenes were "worse and more compressed" than the console versions of the game.

It is worth to mention that the PS3 version was just an upscaled version to 1080p from 720p. So not "really" 1080p.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hmm, I was going to buy Invisible War just to see if it was as bad as I remember it being, but the gamers gate version doesn't come with a Steam code. Oh well, no big loss :p
it's pretty bad

you can tell they tried but were so constrained by consoles

i think there's a mod that makes maps larger? or was that for thief 3?

Annubis

Someone please check, I am intrigued by what codec they used.

I don't like conspiracies, but I can see SE intentionally using the Dark Souls model for this game.

Minimum effort and budget port
Let community fix stuff and make it the ultimate version
???
Profit

EDIT: Also, for some reason this pic is hilarious to me

I feel like these companies know this will happen so don't even bother
It's disgusting. No buy from me I guess, will due to spread the word.

Dr Dogg

Sorry I should have mentioned, not my pic. :(

I won't have access to it until later tonight so hopefully someone else here can answer your questions.

Hahaha oh well no worries, that for the info though. To be fair I can live with compressed cutscenes because they always still out like a sore thumb for me and the PS3 one might be 'better' for some the difference to me is negligible to not really be that bothered having to dig out my PS3 copy and a Blu Ray drive.

Internal rendering is a bit of a kick in the happy sacks but we'll see in that front.

Maniac

Banned
it's pretty bad

I'm pretty sure it's for Thief 3. Ofcourse I wouldn't rule out the existence of one for both games, but... IW wasn't exactly great*, so I don't know if anyone even bothered, really.

I was disappointed by the game when I first played it, but I still loved it that first time. Not so much the second time though**.

And I've played the first game through atleast a dozen times. Just need some more progress on them HD-mods before my next one!

Miguel81

I really hope SE will put DQ8 on Steam. Something more old school, but not looking like a DS game. One can hope...

source: DQ8 on Unity

A proper Steam version would be great news, indeed. More people should experience this charming game, and the soundtrack is just fantastic.

Edit: At least XIII is running at 60 fps. The audio quality is what I most interested in atm, since the rez issue is already out.

Turfster

They're BINK2 files, unlike the console versions which were BINK1 files.
1280x736 with a black gap at the bottom.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
it's pretty bad

Yeah, I remember the actual levels feeling much more constrained than in DX1. Even the characters felt like they were affected somehow, as they seemed far less interesting than any of the characters in the first game. It's been years since I've played it, though, and I threw out my physical copy of DX2, so I was thinking about getting it.

No idea about the mods though.

Oh well, decided just to buy Omikron for $2.50 instead, and it's got David Bowie instead of Alex Denton, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom