• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

tebunker

Banned
Coupon Dumpster is a group on Steam that you can give your coupons to, they then list all the coupons available and people can claim them. They also make sure people who take the coupons use them, to keep the system working...

I, and other gaffers, have gotten some nice coupons from them...

edit: new avatar get lol

Okay my mind is officially blown. I had no idea this existed. I have like 4 coupons just rotting. I even just started trading them randomly to friends.

so my uncle gave me a windows tablet that he found cause he already has an ipad air. I was super excited cause I thought I'd be able to install my smaller steam games on it and play em when I eventually go back to school and shit like that but it turned out to be the useless RT model. Anyone know what I can do with it? Didn't even cross my mind that it could be the RT model since I can't imagine anyone ever buying one of those.

Vuze

Ugh, kinda getting burnt out by Shadow of Mordor after 13 hours. Finished like like 98% of the side activities on the first map and the story mission smybol has some flame icon or sth, so I think it's the final one before moving to the second map. Guess it's a good time to take a break from it for a day or two. While it's great and fun, it's really just the same over and over again.

Just wanna say that Shadow Of Mordor is a blast

Yes, yes it is. I have been having a lot of fun playing that game (so much so that I haven't even gotten around to playing Alien Isolation yet). And to top it all off AMD has given me access to the full Star Citizen experience as well. So I grabbed copies of Sniper Elite 3, Alien Isolation and Star Citizen from the AMD Gold code. Best 0.99 cents I've ever spent!

BTW, anyone seen Turfster around? I haven't seen any posts from him for a long time now...

>.>
<.<

iosefe

Is a 1080p patch possible later on?
if not officially, Durnate is working on one, so we shall see
This one will do.

4txSP34.gif

thats good?

so my uncle gave me a windows tablet that he found cause he already has an ipad air. I was super excited cause I thought I'd be able to install my smaller steam games on it and play em when I eventually go back to school and shit like that but it turned out to be the useless RT model. Anyone know what I can do with it? Didn't even cross my mind that it could be the RT model since I can't imagine anyone ever buying one of those.

I don't think you'll be able to run Steam on it, since Windows RT is ARM based, but I believe you can find games in the Windows Store that will run on it. That's probably the best you can hope for.

Aaron

Ugh, kinda getting burnt out by Shadow of Mordor after 13 hours. Finished like like 98% of the side activities on the first map and the story mission smybol has some flame icon or sth, so I think it's the final one before moving to the second map. Guess it's a good time to take a break from it for a day or two. While it's great and fun, it's really just the same over and over again.
You'll get the domination ability pretty early in the second map which changes up the game quite a bit.

Dr Dogg

That's not FF XIII's music. Actually I remember DSFix having a shout out to the 'production music'. We all have our mood and concentration jams when we need to get work done.

Have you played Bulletstorm? It's fucking ridiculous, at least on PS3. The game looks so good, one of the most color filled and exciting on the platform IMO. Then in comes the cutscenes that look like they are stretched up from 160x90. At least you can skip them.

Oh yeah I've played Bulletstorm (360 and PC) but that's waaaaay better than Killer is Dead. Shame I don't have it installed anymore as I'd show you folks what bad compression really looks like. Massively desaturated and the gamma is completely destroyed. You'd have to have a serious eye condition to approve these. Those FMV games were were on about a while back though put these two to shame (might be an slight exaggeration hahaha)

I don't think you'll be able to run Steam on it, since Windows RT is ARM based, but I believe you can find games in the Windows Store that will run on it. That's probably the best you can hope for.

yea i know about this restriction, which is why i was disappointed that it was RT. I was just curious if anyone has any recommendations of apps for it. I don't think its going to get any use out of me since its the RT model and I can't even get a better browser on it so its not even that good to surf the web. I guess I can use it for netflix since the screen does look better than the one on my galaxy note 8.

Haunted

I haven't played an open world game yet where being a completionist improved the actual gameplay experience or pacing. I used to think "oh yeah, I'll complete everything on this map before I do a story mission", but now I'm much happier only doing the missions I actually want to do.

Doubly so in Mordor since there are huge steps of progression hidden within the story missions, and those changes make pretty much every - from traversal, to stealth, to combat and crowd control - more interesting and varied.

With that game, I'd actually encourage the reverse completionist approach: to prioritise story missions because the powers you gain there (particularly brand/dominate in the latter third of the game) make the side missions more fun.

tebunker

Banned

That is exactly what I did after a binge play. Now I have the desire to play the second map. It really is like 2 different worlds

Dr Dogg

Ummmmm well this is a new one on me...
Preallowcating? I hope it's shifting my preload to an install and not that I'm going to have to download 30gb again :(

Edit: Oh thank christ for that. Right anyone still preloading? Well you might want to try this and pause, stop or close you client and then restart. You'll see the same as me and it will swap you progress over from decrypted csd file in your depotcache folder to install files in you main downloading folder. Of course if it all goes a little bit wrong it's not my fault just so we're clear.

kiyomi

^ Nah, you're fine Dawg.

Got all my FFXIII cards. I laughed when I saw they were all just different versions of Lightning.

Suppa you must be so happy.

fallout

While I haven't played Shadow of Mordor yet, it doesn't surprise me that pacing and variety are an issue when doing all of the sidequest stuff. I just can't imagine playing an open world game like that and not getting burned out.

Maniac

Banned
Coupon Dumpster is a group on Steam that you can give your coupons to, they then list all the coupons available and people can claim them. They also make sure people who take the coupons use them, to keep the system working...

I, and other gaffers, have gotten some nice coupons from them...

edit: new avatar get lol
Oh? Where can I find this magical group? I have a metric shit-ton of coupons I don't need that someone else might like :p

Yes, yes it is. I have been having a lot of fun playing that game (so much so that I haven't even gotten around to playing Alien Isolation yet). And to top it all off AMD has given me access to the full Star Citizen experience as well. So I grabbed copies of Sniper Elite 3, Alien Isolation and Star Citizen from the AMD Gold code. Best 0.99 cents I've ever spent!
Everyone should be allowed to ask a stupid question every once in a while, so this is mine: What's AMD gold? :p
While I haven't played Shadow of Mordor yet, it doesn't surprise me that pacing and variety are an issue when doing all of the sidequest stuff. I just can't imagine playing an open world game like that and not getting burned out.
I think it depends on how much you enjoy the combat. I'm loving the Batman-esque combat with lovely, gratuitous gore and lots of variety in moves, abilities, tactics et al.

I've managed to get all but four achievements thus far (and thus completed most side-content, if not all of it) and still not at all burnt out, although I've also played some Alien: Isolation inbetween just so I could stink up my trousers.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

The game leaves the pacing up to the player. I found ways to keep it interesting.

madjoki

Some old Sid Meier's games got released on Steam and even those are region locked. This pretty much confirms that it's default now :(

Everyone should be allowed to ask a stupid question every once in a while, so this is mine: What's AMD gold? :p

Codes AMD gives with GPU's. Newegg cleared expiring codes by selling for 0.99.
You can select 3 games from list, which includes Alien Isolation & Star Citizen.

Vuze

But y'know, that side quest is just three steps away and I could get the collectible there while I'm at it and on my way back to the story mission I will take a slight turn left since there is some orc party to crash and... ;-;

Maniac

Banned
Some old Sid Meier's games got released on Steam and even those are region locked. This pretty much confirms that it's default now :(

Codes AMD gives with GPU's. Newegg cleared expiring codes by selling for 0.99.
You can select 3 games from list, which includes Alien Isolation & Star Citizen.
Oh, are these still active? I already have Isolation and spent way, way, waaaay too much on Star Citizen, but I'm at the very least interested in Sniper Elite.
But y'know, that side quest is just three steps away and I could get the collectible there while I'm at it and on my way back to the story mission I will take a slight turn left since there is some orc party to crash and... ;-;
The constant distractions and the indulgence in the gratuitous, gorey combat is my favourite thing about the game, hah. (It's also my least favourite because it's caused me to log way too much time with the game in too short a timeframe!)

madjoki

Oh, are these still active? I already have Isolation and spent way, way, waaaay too much on Star Citizen, but I'm at the very least interested in Sniper Elite

Codes from Newegg expired early September, but codes for Alien & Star Citizen were only sent this week. People sell codes from their GPU's, but they go for much higher prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom