• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm pretty sure it's for Thief 3. Ofcourse I wouldn't rule out the existence of one for both games, but... IW wasn't exactly great*, so I don't know if anyone even bothered, really.

I was disappointed by the game when I first played it, but I still loved it that first time. Not so much the second time though**.

And I've played the first game through atleast a dozen times. Just need some more progress on them HD-mods before my next one!

yeah unlike thief 3 the compromises they had to make really did make it a not-so-great game

thief 3 is still by and large a decent game, invisible war not so much, even tho i still liked it back in the day (dem shadows! female playable character!)

but yeah, human revolution captured the feel of the first one much better, invisible war's not really worth bothering with

Yeah, I remember the actual levels feeling much more constrained than in DX1. Even the characters felt like they were affected somehow, as they seemed far less interesting than any of the characters in the first game. It's been years since I've played it, though, and I threw out my physical copy of DX2, so I was thinking about getting it.

No idea about the mods though.

Oh well, decided just to buy Omikron for $2.50 instead, and it's got David Bowie instead of Alex Denton, so there's that.
i actually found invisible war at a local games store a couple years ago just sitting there for like 15 pesos (literally a few cents over 1 dollar right now) so i nabbed it for myself

deus ex 1 humongous shiny box is still the best tho

i don't have that many physical games but it sure is one of my dearest

and one day if the goddess has it, i'll have fallout 2

I really hope SE will put DQ8 on Steam. Something more old school, but not looking like a DS game. One can hope...

source: DQ8 on Unity

Eh, part of the problem was that the DQ8 smartphone port wasn't very good for the most part. It had worse textures than the PS2 original, poor framerates on many devices, and lacked the voices and orchestral score that the original localization added. If they do bring it over to PC, I would hope that they would improve all of that.

Dr Dogg

They are WMP files, yes.

Can you open them? MPC HC is probably the best option. Cheers.

Fucking Bink Video

Bink video files are pretty much most of the time .bik files. Some are actually good quality (the opening for Tomb Raider 2013 for instance) but it's all down on how they're compressed. You can go grab the player in RAD Tools website and play any of them outside of game. Compressed videos might look bad but scaled compressed videos look hideous. Hence why I'm not that fussed because stretching them to 4 times their size in my monitor is going to look bad 360, PC or PS4 versions.

They're BINK2 files, unlike the console versions which were BINK1 files.
1280x736 with a black gap at the bottom.

Well that clears that up then. Cheers.

Turfster

Even Dr Dogg doesn't read my posts.
I'm sad now =p

Gamefly is selling Portal 75% off and Gamersgate is doing a meh Elder Scrolls 33-50% off sale

heiyu

I have no images or GIFs worthy of praising Durante.

tumblr_lsvjyqbsS61r1ssano1_500.gif

Maniac

Banned
So now that it has been divulged that Evil Within won't 'officially' support 60fps, is anyone cancelling pre-orders over it? Or is the 'hack' good enough?
I didn't pre-order it, but I'm gonna go ahead and wait until I read some reviews and GAF feedback and the like before I bother with it. Especially when it comes to performance and whatnot. Still looks like a pretty good game, if not a damned good one, but I've learnt to be cautiously pessimistic the hard way! :p

And can someone please for the love of god tell me one thing: I've tried not to watch too much gameplay footage, but... What's the structure of the game? RE-esque linearity or what? Because I keep hearing Bethesda tell me to be hyped because the city changes and whatnot.. :p

tebunker

Banned
Eh, part of the problem was that the DQ8 smartphone port wasn't very good for the most part. It had worse textures than the PS2 original, poor framerates on many devices, and lacked the voices and orchestral score that the original localization added. If they do bring it over to PC, I would hope that they would improve all of that.

I wouldn't expect that effort all things considered. SE is so inconsistent. They also couldn't be bothered to port it to the consoles that all support unity too so I wouldn't hold my breath for steam. Which stinks

Dr Dogg

Even Dr Dogg doesn't read my posts.
I'm sad now =p

Gamefly is selling Portal 75% off and Gamersgate is doing a meh Elder Scrolls 33-50% off sale

Look above silly. I've got the hassle of having to do with what the horror that iOS 8 has done to my iPad so multi quoting and editing is a bloody nightmare.

Anywho released to what you said and for anyone that can't live without PS3 cutscenes that while you can reencode them (or most popular containers) as BINK2 videos (and using their batch tools is a bit quicker) sometimes games throw a wobbler is the files aren't quite right. You'll probally tear your hair out.

Turfster

Look above silly. I've got the hassle of having to do with what the horror that iOS 8 has done to my iPad so multi quoting and editing is a bloody nightmare.
It's okay, it's become a joke in the thread, I saw you added it later and figured it was something like that.

Amazon is doing 66% off A Story About My Uncle

was Age of Mythology mispriced somewhere or something?

It's the GMG deal of the day

Kaleinc

Banned
Final Fantasy videos were streamed from x360 and recorded via fraps. That's why quality is bad and yolo 60 GB, now you know.

Bink video files are pretty much most of the time .bik files. Some are actually good quality (the opening for Tomb Raider 2013 for instance) but it's all down on how they're compressed. You can go grab the player in RAD Tools website and play any of them outside of game. Compressed videos might look bad but scaled compressed videos look hideous. Hence why I'm not that fussed because stretching them to 4 times their size in my monitor is going to look bad 360, PC or PS4 versions.

Well there's nothing wrong with the Bink codec itself, it's just that developers abuse it to the fullest extend, making the video quality as low as possible. I can understand it with DVD9's, but not with the era of BR's and DD.

tebunker

Banned
Gamersgate came before that "movement", and it's a damn shame that the name is so similar. Does #Gamergate give good deals? I don't think so.

Thanks I am just getting back in to PC gaming. Recently discovered GMG and now this so I am always on the prowl

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wait....wait that can't be true
Peter Brown said:
The PC ver Final Fantasy XIII is borked. Locked @ 720p, no gfx settings whatsoever, and if you hit ESC, it immediately goes to desktop.
I feel like I dodged a bullet when I cancelled my pre order

Anteater

The 720p news is depressing, now i'm not even in the mood to shit my pants with alien, i'll just play the waiting game since it's late anyway.

I really hope SE will put DQ8 on Steam. Something more old school, but not looking like a DS game. One can hope...

source: DQ8 on Unity

If they do put in on Steam, i hope they readd the voicework and the orchestral soundtrack. That stuff is missing from the mobile version, and that just aint right.

Final Fantasy videos were streamed from x360 and recorded via fraps. That's why quality is bad and yolo 60 GB, now you know.

They also left the quality at a flat, even and terribly low bitrate so it suffered from a crazy amount of artifacting and compression. These videos do not appear to be THAT bad, just not PS3 good.

Copons

Guys I know the FF13 fail is the current hot topic, but I've some doubt.

I own Max Payne 3 + its season pass and while I was downloading everything, it occurred to me that some games (like Sleeping Dogs), have DLCs that completely break the game balance.

So, as this would be my first MP3 playthrough, should I untick some DLCs or they're just cosmetic/additional post-endgame stuff?

Unrelated: I've got a friend request on Steam from Arzakana. The name doesn't ring any bells, but we have 11 friends from GAF in common, so I'd blame my failed memory here for not recognizing him/her...

tebunker

Banned
Oh, then make sure you install Enhanced Steam if you haven't already and here is a good place that lists deals from various storefronts. Isthereanydeal.com

Will do and bookmarking that site.

Also to add to the conversation.

Since search isn't working on my phone, how are folks enjoying the updated Sleeping Dogs? I have a coupon for it and I was going to upgrade to the new version. Worth $15?

Will I have to restart the game or will my save convert?

Dr Dogg

It's okay, it's become a joke in the thread, I saw you added it later and figured it was something like that

Who are you again? :p

Well there's nothing wrong with the Bink codec itself, it's just that developers abuse it to the fullest extend, making the video quality as low as possible. I can understand it with DVD9's, but not with the era of BR's and DD.

The worst I've seen has to be Killer is Dead. Funnily this was a touted feature that you'd be able to replay the cutscenes again in a Theatre Mode. Considering all the cutscenes in the game were in engine I though it was just going to load the data in and play them as they were. Nope,1280x720 or a lot worse and compressed to shit. To paraphrase Mark Cerny Macroblocking as big as your fist.

Jawmuncher

Guys I know the FF13 fail is the current hot topic, but I've some doubt.

I own Max Payne 3 + its season pass and while I was downloading everything, it occurred to me that some games (like Sleeping Dogs), have DLCs that completely break the game balance.

So, as this would be my first MP3 playthrough, should I untick some DLCs or they're just cosmetic/additional post-endgame stuff?

Unrelated: I've got a friend request on Steam from Arzakana. The name doesn't ring any bells, but we have 11 friends from GAF in common, so I'd blame my failed memory here for not recognizing him/her...

Pretty sure all of the DLC was just MP stuff no one even plays anymore.

Maniac

Banned
yeah unlike thief 3 the compromises they had to make really did make it a not-so-great game

thief 3 is still by and large a decent game, invisible war not so much, even tho i still liked it back in the day (dem shadows! female playable character!)

but yeah, human revolution captured the feel of the first one much better, invisible war's not really worth bothering with

i actually found invisible war at a local games store a couple years ago just sitting there for like 15 pesos (literally a few cents over 1 dollar right now) so i nabbed it for myself

deus ex 1 humongous shiny box is still the best tho

i don't have that many physical games but it sure is one of my dearest

and one day if the goddess has it, i'll have fallout 2

I concur, Human Revolution is honestly a much better successor, but I agree, IW did do some things well, especially when it came to the looks (for the most part, anyway) and indeed dat female Denton!

And I lost my beautiful Deus Ex physical copy years ago T_T... I then did something dirty and pirated it until the very day it was on Steam, and now... Well, I ofcourse own it. Again.

The worst I've seen has to be Killer is Dead. Funnily this was a touted feature that you'd be able to replay the cutscenes again in a Theatre Mode. Considering all the cutscenes in the game were in engine I though it was just going to load the data in and play them as they were. Nope,1280x720 or a lot worse and compressed to shit. To paraphrase Mark Cerny Macroblocking as big as your fist.

Have you played Bulletstorm? It's fucking ridiculous, at least on PS3. The game looks so good, one of the most color filled and exciting on the platform IMO. Then in comes the cutscenes that look like they are stretched up from 160x90. At least you can skip them.

Ozium

How about the trash though?

Some day

Coupon Dumpster is a group on Steam that you can give your coupons to, they then list all the coupons available and people can claim them. They also make sure people who take the coupons use them, to keep the system working...

I, and other gaffers, have gotten some nice coupons from them...

edit: new avatar get lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom