• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

People in the stickied topic are pushing for this thread to be put in community

out of spite, basically

One or two as far as I can tell. And then they'd need to move the PSN and XBL threads over too. Won't happen.

Still, I say no anime waifus or animals of any kind for the next few days. Let's behave.

tmarg

...wah? You mean it'll take the name of the old IGN-run digital distribution service that nobody really liked? Why?

It was D2D before gamefly took it over wasn't it?

I think they are just going back to the old name since gamefly sold them.

Is there any way to avoid the market lockdown thing if you add a new payment method to your Steam account? I have a Visa gift card I want to use but I don't want to deal with that nonsense because I use the market pretty much every day.

You can add the visa gift card to your paypal account and add the funds that way.

Jawmuncher

I know it's all for fun and everything.
But the Origin Insider page is just weird.
Never have I seen a company go about talking about numerous games not even availble on their platform.
10731165_798429156873992_4576806577668360595_n.png

Jawmuncher

I really think because of the state of affairs for Origin.
EA basically told whoever runs the page "just keep it gaming related and remind them of sales and EA stuff once in awhile".

Tenrius

Is there any way to avoid the market lockdown thing if you add a new payment method to your Steam account? I have a Visa gift card I want to use but I don't want to deal with that nonsense because I use the market pretty much every day.

Huh. I use like four different cards with Steam, as well as Paypal, and only ever had a market lockdown once IIRC. Does it remember my cards? Three of those I cycle through regularly, the other one doesn't see much use.

EA basically told whoever runs the page "just keep it gaming related and remind them of sales and EA stuff once in awhile".
That sounds about right, they asked "Who are your favoure swordsmen in gaming?"
I said cloud and they responded with this

Bxw2y1pCEAEYN-Z.png

So, yeah...

tmarg

I don't think EA care about their store too much. They seem perfectly happy to let Amazon, gmg, etc. be the ones to actually sell their games.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The relic in Styx
Deliverance
is unghostable. Sadness.

I like that the game has a lot more going for it than just the story for those willing to do those side things...

...which im not, but im glad its there. Good game, fun to stream. Except when you die and there was no checkpoint >_>

Turfster

I like that the game has a lot more going for it than just the story for those willing to do those side things...

...which im not, but im glad its there. Good game, fun to stream. Except when you die and there was no checkpoint >_>
You know you can create your own by quicksaving, right? (F5, F9 to reload)

Tenrius

I'm OK with this becoming a community thread eventually. It already feels like one. Then people could stop being shut down by mods for going too off-topic.

Besides, do you regulars really want all those extra eyes on giveaways? :p

This happens? For all my time spent in these threads, I've seen it like once. Talks about being moved to community happen way more often though.

Shadownet

Banned
I think Zeliard tried to sabotage us from within... Derailed us with Wii U and Bayoneta talks. Trying to get push us into Community.

He's the real Evil Within :O

I'm OK with this becoming a community thread eventually. It already feels like one. Then people could stop being shut down by mods for going too off-topic.

Besides, do you regulars really want all those extra eyes on giveaways? :p

I'm hoping shifting to Community doesn't come with the implicit interpretation that all that OT talk is now okay.

Miguel81

SteamGAF should never leave the front page of Gaming Side, that would be tragic :( We talk about Steam and games and stuff. Well, sometimes it goes off-topic, but it quickly corrects itself.

I played Resident Evil Revelations this evening. I really like the episodic nature - I like to be able to predict how long something will take me.

The story transcends stupidity, bit the PC port runs amazingly well and it has some of the best 3D rendered butts I've ever seen. 10/10

Daily Sunless Sea 33% off
Midweek
  • Tomb Raider Franchise 80% off
2,50€ for Legend + Anniversary + Underworld from Russia. I didn't get any region-lock message on their Russian storepages, so I guess they aren't locked?!
Well, that is not a good thing at all :(
I am more concerned about pubs/devs forgetting to take out RL than purposefully keeping it intact tbh.
Sigils of Elohim is free and a "mini-game prelude to Croteam’s upcoming first-person puzzler The Talos Principle". Only 62MB.
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/321480/header.jpg?t=1413231933
The game actually looks interesting and despite my 0,2h playtime I have to shamefully admit, I did it for playfire and only afterwards saw that it's a good game :(
Really nice. I had this wishlisted. Great news.
Speedrunners is finally getting the PewDiePie character DLC that we always wanted
http://i.imgur.com/AKkik6c.png
http://steamcommunity.com/games/207140/announcements/detail/144438478250657581
On one hand I don't like RL stuff/cross-proms in my games but on the other side I totally get how much more audience (and sales) this can bring easily. And it's not like I can say to the devs "If your game would be good on its own, you wouldn't need stuff like this!". No, in many cases the games are good but it's so damn hard to get some visibility. It really has to be so much more for indie devs than just actually making the game.
It's up to your tastes, really. It's like asking what is the best PC game, you won't get a definite answer.
If you want to have a game with branches, where you can conquer the girl of your dreams, take Katawa Shoujo. It's free, completely in english and wonderful. Japanese of this kind are Clannad and Shuffle!
Horror/Gore: Saya no Uta, Higurashi
Mystery: Ever 17, 999, Danganronpa, Umineko
Story without choices: Narcissu (free on steam)
Some may recommend you Fate/Stay Night. I would not, it was utterly bored with it.
Bookmarked for future, thanks! You seem to know your stuff. Maybe you should make a thread about VN recommendations. Once one of your threads wouldn't get modbotted ;)
So they are going to buy themselves another (timed) exclusive then? That's what happened last time after I heard similar talk of them.
MS shouldn't have spewed so much about their "commitment". Really the boy who cried wolf too much.
Shame, as MS has many great titles I'd love to see on Steam.
No... Way??? I just took a screenshot about 10 mins ago in the same place!
You know what that means. You found your soulmate. Time to get married and lead a happy life ;)
http://i.imgur.com/MzdmEqV.png
Hehehehehehehehe.
Someone could have let me know that DSR works on Kepler (and even Fermi) cards now with a bit of driver faffery.
Edit: Holy Shi.....
5120x2880 in everything that allows a resolution? Oh happy days!
So DSR is Nvidia's take on downsampling? Cool. Does it work also when a game does not natively support +1080p resolutions? That'd be ace.
Or does Durante has to do everything :p
I have no problem with this. Well, most of it. I do think Bayonetta has more flaws than people recognizes and it's easily in the top 10 for "story so bad/confusing/stupid that I just skipped the cutscenes after trying to understand it my first playthrough". That said, it's still a great game and I'm sure the sequel is going to be great.
However, I cannot personally justify the purchase of a WiiU for a single game. It's a shame that a lot of people are in my camp... and a shame that a lot of people who own WiiU systems are probably not the core audience for the game and won't be buying it.
It's fun to see how much love Bayonetta gets but I just don't feel anything. I tried and watched many videos of the first and second but it just doesn't do anything. I also find Bayonetta (guess that's what she's called) very off-putting. The anatomy just irks me, legs are too long.
WiiU looks actually kinda neat for me but only because I didn't have a Wii, so all the great games from that console make it more alluring. WiiU catalog on its own is not enough. ZombiU and X are the only big titles which excite me atm. The rest is either a remake or to early in development to say anything meaningful about them (Zelda). Looks like the perfect end-cycle console for me tbh once it hits 100 bucks.

Off to the next 30 pages...

Tenrius

Whoops, it seems I can't run Lords of Shadow anymore. It just won't start, although it does pop up in the task manager. Weird, because I played it on my laptop (which is exactly the same now) a year ago.

Fake edit: I went to the properties and noticed that Steam Cloud syncronization was unchecked. I re-enabled it and voila, the game works. Pretty weird, because I never actually disabled it and it shouldn't prevent the game from running, but whatever. I've noticed someone describing the exact same issue in Steam community, so I'm not the only one. Hopefully they find my reply helpful (http://steamcommunity.com/app/234080/discussions/0/616189742651042616/, it's in Russian).

Real edit: But my save is gone. Oh well. I'm guessing my original save file got corrupted somehow and now it got replaced by the one from the demo (which was stored in the cloud) or something. Because my game does have a save file now and it's at the very beginning of the game (which is also the demo level).

So I played the first few hours of Tomb Raider on PS4 and I thought it was okay, not bad. Gave it back to Gamefly. Should I pick up the PC version for $4? Does the game get better as it progresses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom