• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Weird noises coming out of my PC (again) probably the fan dying (again). Part of the PC gaming I seriously don't love.

I had to replace the fan on my Hyper Evo awhile back, got a Noctua NF-N12 or something. It's actually a bit more noisy, but reportedly very reliable. Better than the loud rattling of the prior once it when to shit.

Sendou

I had to replace the fan on my Hyper Evo awhile back, got a Noctua NF-N12 or something. It's actually a bit more noisy, but reportedly very reliable. Better than the loud rattling of the prior once it when to shit.

I actually just replaced my CPU fan a little while ago. Apparently my sacrifice didn't please some PC god or whatever.

ViviOggi

I hate this stuff.
First expansions, but expansions were ok. Then DLCs, and now the trend is sell again the SAME, patched game.
Can't really blame publishers for wanting to make a quick buck off of game-starved early adopters. I don't think they really fixed bugs in the Sleepy Doges "remaster", just added some visual bells and whistles, and the SRIV one is PS4/XBO only. I don't expect them to change much at all for that release.

AHA-Lambda

ModBot said:
Instructions for AHA-Lambda:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (AHA-Lambda, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

XCOM EU -- MB-6FE474413A767B26 - Taken by TheLight

First come first serve, go go :D

Ventara

Damn, I missed a Grimrock 2 giveaway.

Anyways, is there any Key price changes expected due to region-locking? Should I try to cash out now?

louiedog

Weird noises coming out of my PC (again) probably the fan dying (again). Part of the PC gaming I seriously don't love.

I sent my 360 back for red ring twice, I had a DVD drive fail fortunately right before a red ring (I only played XBLA during that time) which otherwise would have been an out of pocket fix, and I had one where the controllers would constantly disconnect that I had to send in.

I'd much rather buy a fan for a few bucks online and replace it myself in 5 minutes than deal with console repairs.

About recording, I just found you can use the GPU inside your Core I5/I7 to record your game instead of FPS remover that are shadowplay or AMD PVR.

Few people even know they have a GPU inside their CPU doing nothing ..
In my experience it looks somewhat worse than Shadowplay does and can drop frames, but it is there, yeah.

Sendou

I sent my 360 back for red ring twice, I had a DVD drive fail fortunately right before a red ring (I only played XBLA during that time) which otherwise would have been an out of pocket fix, and I had one where the controllers would constantly disconnect that I had to send in.

I'd much rather buy a fan for a few bucks online and replace it myself in 5 minutes than deal with console repairs.

Where will I get a replacement fan in 5 minutes though? If I can identify what fan it is then okay it's not too bad. The part that sucks is trying to pinpoint the issue. I'm not overly proficient with PC's or anything either.

MUnited83

For you.
Can't really blame publishers for wanting to make a quick buck off of game-starved early adopters. I don't think they really fixed bugs in the Sleepy Doges "remaster", just added some visual bells and whistles, and the SRIV one is PS4/XBO only. I don't expect them to change much at all for that release.
They didnt fix bugs, they actually introduced quite a few that were not in the original release in the first place :p

Aaron D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFSmIx6Hhs

I've been fascinated with licensed music in game trailers ever since the stellar Gears' - Mad World clip some years ago.

This latest for Farming Simulator reel is yet another example of a trailer/song pairing you wouldn't expect that somehow just works. I love being surprised by unanticipated results.

GaussTek

Take this, I didn't realized I already had it (it has cards! :p):

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Afterfall Insanity Extended Edition -- MB-2C0E0D305D01BCC1 - Taken by dave is ok

Is mantle delivering the increased performance promised?

I ask because Thief and Battlefield 4 were technical disasters at release... and I don't want this to happen to Civilization: Beyond Earth.

About recording, I just found you can use the GPU inside your Core I5/I7 to record your game instead of FPS remover that are shadowplay or AMD PVR.

Few people even know they have a GPU inside their CPU doing nothing ..

Well, don't stop there. Tell us more!

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
For the same reason that only select games feature hardware-accelerated PhysX*: because it's proprietary.

* Technically, if you're on Team Red, you can use your CPU to achieve the same result... but doing so incurs a massive performance penalty.

A handful. I don't think it'll take off more than it already has -- you'll notice that half of the games listed run on Frostbite.

Battlefield 4
Battlefield Hardline
Thief
Star Citizen
Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Civilization: Beyond Earth
Dragon Age: Inquisition
Mirror's Edge 2
Sniper Elite 3
Star Wars: Battlefront

That's all the ones that wikipedia says.

You could ask 'Why don't more devs use OpenGL' due to some calls being more efficient than D3D. Answer to both will be more than likely less knowledge and experience with the API libraries compared to everyone and their mums using D3D.

Other games I know of are the Star Swarm benchmark which me being dopey just noticed you tested, Thief which gets a nice boost even on high end CPUs and I think Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare is set to get it latter on or might even be available now due to being Frostbite 3 based. Dragon Age Inquisition, Battlefield: Hardline and Mirrors Edge 2 might be worth keeping an eye on and I think both Civ Beyond Earth and Star Citizen have said they might look at support.

Thanks for the answers guys :)

Arthea

Sigils of Elohim, a game (or demo, not sure which) advertising the Talos Principle has a game breaking bug, talk about missad
and bad luck

I guess Grimrock 2 is the first casualty of default region locking for me. The first game was decent (even though I never finished it) but the second one just looks so much better. Too bad it goes into the sale/bundle list for now.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Night of the Rabbit -- MB-C174534F2B6C4708 - Taken by doctorcdcs[/QUOTE]

Miguel81

The Kobin missions in Blacklist are so much fun, a bit more than Grim's. Nothing more satisfying than Stealth Takedowns and getting nice vibration feedback with the last hit. The lack of grey filter from Conviction is great because the lighting in these games really set the mood. Istanbul has the good ol' headlights on shiny pavement effect from the older titles. The main character is still an impostor, but who cares when his game is this damn good.

Vibranium

Banned
Wait, what? ALL new releases are gonna be region-locked?! So no more Russian prices?

Most of them, it's the way of the world I suppose, it was inevitable. Russian traders will be dealing older games from now on. It would be nice if a few indie devs turned the default setting off though.

Still, I can use GMG and other places I guess.

Jawmuncher

The Kobin missions in Blacklist are so much fun, a bit more than Grim's. Nothing more satisfying than Stealth Takedowns and getting nice vibration feedback with the last hit. The lack of grey filter from Conviction is great because the lighting in these games really set the mood. Istanbul has the good ol' headlights on shiny pavement effect from the older titles. The main character is still an impostor, but who cares when his game is this damn good.

Actually didn't mind the new sam at all.
Loved blacklist though best splinter cell game for me. Actually succeeds in pleasing any type of fan.

Dr Dogg

I'll say this for Alien Isolation it does something very few games even get close to and that's telling the backstory through the environment organically. Everywhere you look you start trying to piece together what had happened beforehand. Valve are usually very good at this and the last game I played that nailed it was Dead Space 2. I'm still on edge though, slowly poking my head around corners and I've not encountered anything hostile yet :(

I really liked the ones for Grim. The Kobin ones were alright too but there were eliminate all the dudes though. Charlies ones can fuck right off but the Briggs missions were pretty sweet if you had a coop partner. Considering it runs on a massively modified UE 2.5 base it looks fantastic and has some great AA options along with lots of little graphics tweaks to fiddle with.

Miguel81

Actually didn't mind the new sam at all.
Loved blacklist though best splinter cell game for me. Actually succeeds in pleasing any type of fan.

That's true, it gives you all the tools and options to play your way and it's a-ok with me -- ghost representin'. It doesn't water everything down or drastically change the formula like other games that end up alienating the more dedicated fanbase.

I really liked the ones for Grim. The Kobin ones were alright too but there were eliminate all the dudes though. Charlies ones can fuck right off but the Briggs missions were pretty sweet if you had a coop partner. Considering it runs on a massively modified UE 2.5 base it looks fantastic and has some great AA options along with lots of little graphics tweaks to fiddle with.

Even with HBAO+ enabled it runs just fine on my AMD card, which makes me like Ubi a little bit more than naught.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Why not twitch?

because hitbox has alot less delay, but then again im not really interacting with anyone so the delay would be fine. I just had OBS setup for hitbox from yesterday and didnt want to change it

Spares and games not taken from previous giveaways.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 17 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (crazyrabbits, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

AaaaaAA!!! for the Awesome -- MB-5CB75E5098EB4DA7 - Taken by Zeknurn. 5 entrants total.
Super Hexagon -- MB-7D471538DDC8DC5C - Taken by interion. 3 entrants total.
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-39E7AF9EACBD3415 - Taken by nja. 2 entrants total.
Osmos -- MB-7270C2B6C9DCC4CA - Taken by Visualante2. 2 entrants total.
Metal Planet -- MB-906D4071168A032C - Taken by agniswarm
Space Hack -- MB-2F133CDEFC8E9538 - Taken by Aiustis. 1 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
X-COM Enemy Unknown -- MB-C7DC5565125AE0E9 - Taken by opticalmace. 8 entrants total.
Lilly Looking Through -- MB-EF3EBAFDAD3E4DB1 - Taken by NoCryingUntilTheEnd. 2 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
Defender's Quest (GOG) -- MB-621B4D17E7BDA583 - Taken by jshackles
SpaceChem -- MB-3950D05F6C4F112A - Taken by HalfwayOrb
Dustforce DX -- MB-24B2AC397AA219A2 - Taken by arts&crafts. 6 entrants total.
Tropico 3 -- MB-2B43AF298D900073 - Taken by Monumma
The Maker's Eden -- MB-D9082AE965E57E74 - Taken by freshVeggie. 4 entrants total.
Dreaming Sarah -- MB-4DF639251092AEA4 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 3 entrants total.
Avencast Rise of the Mage -- MB-51D454AAA6333401 - Taken by provista. 1 entrants total.
Space Trader Merchant Marine -- MB-8B98611817799E43 - Taken by Maniac. 3 entrants total.
Crash Time II -- MB-9013BCC252BA0E4E - Taken by Zia

t1413421089z1.png

Jawmuncher

I'm noticing one BIG issue with Evil Within and it's that there are no invincibility frame.
I shouldn't be punished by getting hit for saving a AI or for a enemy swinging a torch at the bottom of the stairs when I'm climbing at the top.

-MD-

I'm noticing one BIG issue with Evil Within and it's that there are no invincibility frame.
I shouldn't be punished by getting hit for saving a AI or for a enemy swinging a torch at the bottom of the stairs when I'm climbing at the top.

Wait, what?

9leO2oW.png

Bought Contrast yesterday and finished it today- as you can see it's pretty short. Most of the puzzles are pretty straight-forward and there was only one part where I got stumped for a bit. The game has zero replayability but there some achievements that can be missed. It has no graphics options other than "low, medium, high" presets and the ability to change the resolution. It's has a nice aesthetic and was worth the key I paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom