• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurahador

So I played the first few hours of Tomb Raider on PS4 and I thought it was okay, not bad. Gave it back to Gamefly. Should I pick up the PC version for $4? Does the game get better as it progresses?

It's pretty fun actually. The story is abit of a cheesy crap and Lara is boring, but thankfully they're pretty far between.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
So I played the first few hours of Tomb Raider on PS4 and I thought it was okay, not bad. Gave it back to Gamefly. Should I pick up the PC version for $4? Does the game get better as it progresses?

It gets way more shooty and way less stealthy if that makes a difference to you.

It's not a bad game, just sort of bland. I always say this, but it feels like they were going to put more survival/crafting elements in and got scared and took them all out.

Grief.exe

So DSR is Nvidia's take on downsampling? Cool. Does it work also when a game does not natively support +1080p resolutions? That'd be ace.
Or does Durante has to do everything :p

Nvidia already had unofficial downsampling support, but the game needs to support arbitrary resolutions for DSR to function. For example, Metal Gear Rising, FFXIII, and Call of Cthulhu won't work out of the box.

I feel it does. Loved that game.

It's pretty fun actually. The story is abit of a cheesy crap and Lara is boring, but thankfully they're pretty far between.

It gets way more shooty and way less stealthy if that makes a difference to you.

It's not a bad game, just sort of bland. I always say this, but it feels like they were going to put more survival/crafting elements in and got scared and took them all out.

Sounds like it's going into the backlog. Thanks for impressions!

EDIT:

If your looking for Tombs to raid, then look somewhere else. However, it is a thrill ride, so in that aspect it does get better. Have you even reached the radio tower? That's a great place to take some breathtaking shots.

I've got enough proper tomb raiding; that never bothered me. My PC sucks, so I'm not the screenshotting type.

Spyware

Annoying when there is an update for a game and it doesn't say what it did or why it did it. Like Costume Quest 2 just now. Grr.
Is there a way to find it that isn't the "click here to check what we did, but haha we won't tell you"-button on the download page?

Miguel81

If your looking for Tombs to raid, then look somewhere else. However, it is a thrill ride, so in that aspect it does get better. Have you even reached the radio tower? That's a great place to take some breathtaking shots.

Props for making a Quest for Glory reference.

Favorite place/song in a PC game. Unforgettable.

kurahador

Annoying when there is an update for a game and it doesn't say what it did or why it did it. Like Costume Quest 2 just now. Grr.
Is there a way to find it that isn't the "click here to check what we did, but haha we won't tell you"-button on the download page?

Check the game's forum page. Some developer only posts the patch notes there for some reason.

Kaper

GAF ads offer a way around the default region locking on steam:

bNuiVHO.png

Omega

Banned
So I finally got around to playing Arkham Origins, did this game have bad performance or what?

I played Arkham City with no problems everything maxed out aside from maybe one or two things. Origins constantly dips to the 40s and I have a bunch of stuff on low or off..

maneil99

So I finally got around to playing Arkham Origins, did this game have bad performance or what?

I played Arkham City with no problems everything maxed out aside from maybe one or two things. Origins constantly dips to the 40s and I have a bunch of stuff on low or off..

Origin looks alot better

Nabs

Origins ran better than City for me.

dani_dc

I think it's well documented that the game was supposed to be an horror/survivor game, then it changed to what it is now, presumably due to higher ups interference.

GAF ads offer a way around the default region locking on steam:

bNuiVHO.png
But then you'd have to actually move to Russia.

KarmaCow

Beat the first boss in Grimrock 2 and it seems like they've made the combat more involved. It's basically the same but enemies will juke your attacks and wait for you in the opposite corner rather than chase you down. It's still not difficult, but it's better than in the first. I did fuck up with my skill allocation, including not assigning skills to my mage at the beginning of the game thinking I could allocate them later. Learned that those skills points just disappear after I spent a good chunk in the game.

I'm kinda leery about one of the new items which is a shovel which lets you dig pretty much anywhere with dirt. I already comb over ever wall looking for secret buttons (found one so far) so adding in the ability to dig to find secrets just makes me more anxious. What makes it worse is that I haven't found anything other than the one treasure you need to progress. Could be a good sign but I really hope there aren't any super hidden secrets with no hints that involve digging random locations.

Jawmuncher

Glad my early purchase of a PS4 was dusted off today.
Xrd Sign demo was fun. Definitely needs to come to steam over the old stuff were getting that for some reason is being used to judge it coming over.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

as long as you think of it as a uncharted game and not a tomb raider game, its great

definately worth $4

Jawmuncher

if you have a bad taste

While i'm not the biggest fan of Tomb Raider it's worth the 4 bucks and puts UC3 to shame.
Which was just a mess all around, especially in the story department. Granted TR isn't a work of art. But it at least kept it all together till the end. Both did go a bit over board with the explosions and over the top scenarios back to back.

rtcn63

Only played the first two Uncharted games, but TR wins because you can carry all of your weapons at once and upgrade them. Also the melee was more satisfying.

Ozium

the only good things about uncharted 3 were its use of tarot cards and depicting psychedelic hallucinations realistically

wilflare

does SteamGAF care alot about sound quality or surround sound in gaming?

thinking whether I should sell my current setup and save for the Creative Sound Blaster X7 instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom