• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2014 - Proper PC gamers buy a Wii U and Bayonetta 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Grief if you're interested in the Legend of Korra game. You should try watching an episode or two of Avatar the Last Airbender. One of the best American made animated show ever.

I'm not too much of an anime guy, but I may check it out for some background after the game.

Time will tell, but there are certainly plenty of options.

Some other October games to look out for:

Can letting you jump really work in a stealth game? I have my doubts, but this looks like a fun evolution of the stealth genre pionered by the recent Thief game.

Legend of Grimrock 2 is apparently coming out in mid october. Hopefully the relative (?) success of the first title means things are bigger and better.

Those trailers for Styx certainly piqued my interest. Grimrock 2 is out in October? I just got to the seventh floor on the first game.

It is now my birthday, feel free to shower me in praise :p

Hoping those Alien Isolation performance graphs are accurate, would actually be able to get close to 120 FPS with a RoG Swift which I'm hoping I'll be able to find soon. Can't wait to see what 120 FPS looks like!

Some impressions for Paranormal State: Poison Spring

Disclaimer: I know that this game is based on a television show, but have never watched the show (I discovered after playing it that this is a paranormal reality show, so it appears to be fiction played straight, as opposed to something that declares itself fiction.) So whether the likenesses are good or the characters voiced themselves, I don't know. That said:

The story: You play the newest member of the cast...um, team, as you investigate an old Civil War site where spooky things are afoot. Jinkies! This sounds like a groovy mystery! Come on, gang, let's split up! ZOINKS! Like, it's a freaky g-g-g-ghost! ....Okay, that's enough of that. What you actually get is a story about a demon and two ghosts: one an African-American soldier, and the other a Cherokee woman who loves him. Right off the bat the team proves themselves no historians. Soldier ghost talks about looking for "her," and the leader(!) wonders if this woman, who a CIVIL WAR soldier is looking for, is still alive. Even if the soldier was looking for a baby born on the day when the last shot of the Civil War was fired, you'd still be looking at someone well into her 140s.

It's completely ridiculous, and the depictions of natives slightly racist, but it's also unintentionally hilarious. There are some jump scares, but when there aren't, it's funny.

There is a bonus chapter (collector's edition ahoy!) involving more spooky goings-on at the museum, and having to assemble totem poles. One of the characters mentions that the Cherokee don't really use totem poles, and then it's handwaved away as off you go to assemble them! It almost felt like the writers wanted totem poles, and then someone did the research, so they slipped in that line to appease him. This is the caliber of story you're dealing with. And oddly enough? It still works.

The dialogue and voices: What leads me to believe the show's members voiced themselves is the "I'm reading a script" voice. The leader of the team probably does the best job of it, but hearing these people deliver in flat tones that they're being surrounded by "the demon's dark energy" had me in stitches. Oddly, I didn't find any major spelling errors so at least they had competent editing. The dialogue itself sounds pretty much how you'd expect a bunch of paranormal investigators to sound (so not necessarily a positive, but at least realistic?)

The graphics: Characters are drawn and the game starts with a closeup of the leader's face. It's uncanny valley as fuck - it was actually unsettling to look at. I owe the homeless guy from Infected: the Twin Vaccine an apology! But on the flip side, his "shocked" face shows him putting up his hands to his cheeks in the "Home Alone" pose. It has to be seen to be believed how hilarious it is. The other characters fare moderately better. The Heather character, however, is pretty hot. If I had to backtrack past her, I found myself popping in to see what she was up to.

The puzzles: Whattaya know. Not that bad! The hidden object games themselves were challenging without being impossible, and the minigames were hit and miss but mostly hit. I only skipped one: the minigame where you have to jump pegs until there's only one left. Seriously, fuck that game. I even did the Layton-esque sliding puzzle game. WARNING LAPTOP USERS: some puzzles require precision mouse work as you click and drag things through mazes. So unless you're super pro on the pad, get a mouse or skip those puzzles. It should also be said there was one minigame where you have to match soundwaves, and the level of exactness they want is nothing short of stupid. But apart from those, I found the puzzles fair and logical (which can be more than said for Infected.) It took me 4 1/2 hours to finish the game and the bonus chapter, which is a good length.

The verdict: Decent puzzles and a campy story equal fun for someguyinahat and hopefully fun for you too. The reviews were mostly negative, but ignore the haters on this one. What's that? You don't want to play it? Would you do it for a Scooby Snack? TWO Scooby Snacks? How about you just pick it up in a bundle? Also Heather, call me.

Jørdan

That's pretty weird, let me know what you find out. It could be a timing issue - I noticed that a lot of things on Steam are loaded asynchronously now and it could be related to that.

Will do, I've found that if I check the curators box I get a second curators pane, unchecked it is removed as you would expect normally. Just that the first one stays regardless, this may indicate that ES is not the cause and is working as intended. Will PM if I can work it out, for now I'm happy to keep the Stylish script running to remove it, ES has taken care of everything else <3

69ltbqS.jpg

fernandes

That's pretty weird, let me know what you find out. It could be a timing issue - I noticed that a lot of things on Steam are loaded asynchronously now and it could be related to that.

Long shot but maybe it's because he's not following any curator, so the section might be a bit different?

Also, I noticed a little bug: when you disable the sidebar, the whole site shifts a bit to the left (to remain centered maybe?) but the Paradox sale banner doesn't so it looks weird.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
outland is not really like guacamelee; it's more level-based and there's less combat. you do have a polarity-shift mechanic, but it's more inspired by ikaruga than anything. the bosses are very bullet hell-y. it's shorter than guacamelee with less to find. it's a really good game though. it's also a little easier than guacamelee. i do recommend it.

Skyzard

Banned
outland is not really like guacamelee; it's more level-based and there's less combat. you do have a polarity-shift mechanic, but it's more inspired by ikaruga than anything. the bosses are very bullet hell-y. it's shorter than guacamelee with less to find. it's a really good game though. it's also a little easier than guacamelee. i do recommend it.

Sounds like it'd be fun, thanks.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Long shot but maybe it's because he's not following any curator, so the section might be a bit different?

Also, I noticed a little bug: when you disable the sidebar, the whole site shifts a bit to the left (to remain centered maybe?) but the Paradox sale banner doesn't so it looks weird.

Yeah I just noticed that too :(

Of course by the time I update again the banner will be gone, but I'll toss in some code to fix it on the off-chance that Valve re-uses their "store takeover" div some time in the future. Of course when I developed this feature the "Mordor" banner was up and worked just fine and shifted correctly.

MattyG

Banned
I just realized, I don't think I've ever played through an entire survival horror game (save for Dead Space 2, but I'd seen so much footage and watched my bro play so much that it didn't scare me when I finally played it). Alien Isolation and The Evil Within are going to be my firsts. I'm terrible with horror movies too, so I hope I can make it through them.

I just realized, I don't think I've ever played through an entire survival horror game (save for Dead Space 2, but I'd seen so much footage and watched my bro play so much that it didn't scare me when I finally played it). Alien Isolation and The Evil Within are going to be my firsts. I'm terrible with horror movies too, so I hope I can make it through them.

Playing horror games with headphones cranked up and the lights out will put some hair on your chest.

Tellaerin

It is now my birthday, feel free to shower me in praise :p!

Happy birthday, man! :D Doing anything interesting to celebrate?

Time will tell, but there are certainly plenty of options.

Some other October games to look out for:

Can letting you jump really work in a stealth game? I have my doubts, but this looks like a fun evolution of the stealth genre pionered by the recent Thief game.

I'm seriously tempted to 'shop Dennis DeYoung's face in to replace that orc's. :p

That has me wondering now. How many of you guys are actually following curators? I haven't bothered with it yet, myself - I'm wondering if that's a common thing, or if most folks have decided to follow at least one by now.

Miguel81

Hoping those Alien Isolation performance graphs are accurate, would actually be able to get close to 120 FPS with a RoG Swift which I'm hoping I'll be able to find soon. Can't wait to see what 120 FPS looks like!

Happy Birthday, ricochetguro! May you receive a game from your wishlist(if you have one on there)!

Happy birthday, man! :D Doing anything interesting to celebrate?
Drink and cry myself into a stupor :p Gaf meet up downtown but I don't really feel like driving down there. Never been a big birthday party guy in general, and since moving a few years back even more so. Going to curl up with some good games and films. Hopefully next year I'll have more funds to do something.

fernandes

That has me wondering now. How many of you guys are actually following curators? I haven't bothered with it yet, myself - I'm wondering if that's a common thing, or if most folks have decided to follow at least one by now.

I wasn't very interested in this feature at first but I followed a curator just to see how it worked. Since then I've added a few more curators to my list (some friends and some "celebrities") since they take priority on game pages and I rather see those than some random guy I don't know.

Jørdan

That's exactly the cause! I wasn't following any curators, however on your comment I added NeoGAF and returned to the homepage to see the curators section gone. Thank you very much for pointing that out, I would never have thought of it.

That's pretty weird, let me know what you find out.

fernandes was spot on with their observation, if you don't have follow at least one curator the section stays there to taunt you until you do.

Happy birthday!

Miguel81

Rely on Horror, I need one mainstay for my fav genre.

Skyzard

Banned

Happy Birthday! :0)

what is the preferred method for using a ds4 on pc these days? ds4windows?

Yep

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=129161018#post129161018

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of WinterDemons, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hitman: Absolution -- MB-2B1E9DA133E53917 - Taken by nja. 9 entrants total.
Anachronox -- MB-EFA7EF6DB803D8E4 - Taken by Li Kao. 2 entrants total.
Hitman: Codename 47 -- MB-DAB2ED897C87FF0B - Taken by KyleFedora. 2 entrants total.
Daikatana -- MB-D6C8F5382E7E8F79 - Taken by Berlok. 4 entrants total.
Hitman: Blood Money -- MB-E39861F2F4481F76 - Taken by Scipius. 5 entrants total.
Deus Ex: Invisible War -- MB-85CA807267A4F2AE - Taken by Sharkiller. 5 entrants total.
Thief Gold -- MB-7C40842E5E893B12 - Taken by The Reloader. 3 entrants total.
Battlestations: Midway -- MB-A9D187ECBA0F68A7 - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
Deus Ex: The Fall -- MB-43C8DCCA306117BA - Taken by Sendou. 12 entrants total.
Just Cause -- MB-1F5D7E608CFAF971 - Taken by Patison. 2 entrants total.
Mini Ninjas -- MB-8F2ED5BD800ACD65 - Taken by eyeless. 1 entrants total.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-902D7D8C8FF4FC86 - Taken by Benedict. 4 entrants total.
Nosgoth Veteran Pack -- MB-6968000EDD82EE74 - Taken by Tesseract. 1 entrants total.

t1412404585z1.png

So the different between regular Sleeping Dogs and the definitive version is that the definitive version has some more costumes and missions? If so, then I don't think it's really worth it to get the definitive version when I've already own the regular version, even with the discount for those who have owned it. Just my opinion.

Tellaerin

So the different between regular Sleeping Dogs and the definitive version is that the definitive version has some more costumes and missions? If so, then I don't think it's really worth it to get the definitive version when I've already own the regular version, even with the discount for those who have owned it. Just my opinion.

I was under the impression there were supposed to be some technical improvements too, no?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I'm not because I can curate things just fine on my own. I spent a few hours going through the entire site with the Discovery queue. Now it takes me a few minutes a day. And then I just keep an ear out for GAF recommendations and particularly interesting reviews from people on my friends list. I especially don't need YouTube personalities telling me what games are FUCKEN EPIC YO SIIIIICK or whatever.

additional pork buns

Shadownet

Banned
Happy Birthday, ricochet, forever adorned with the classiest avatars on all of GAF - wishing you a very enjoyable day, old chap.

Just for that. I'm going to find the lewdest picture of Elizabeth I can find and make it my profile picture.

Happy Birthday Ricochet! :D I hope you'll have an amazing day!

Mokoi

Banned

Yeah none at all. I hardly even use all the features of steam already, and I can find games on my own. I don't need people recommending me stuff, but if I do happen to see something that catches my interest that someone mentioned I'll check it out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
... did Valve get rid of the banner on Greenlight that tells you how many games you voted on? I can't find it. *flips table*

oipic

Just for that. I'm going to find the lewdest picture of Elizabeth I can find and make it my profile picture.

Shadow, yours is more beautiful - it will be a sad day when you change from your current avatar. :)

(besides, surely there aren't any lewd pictures of Elizabeth...she's not that sort of lass)

Jase's current avatar is very, very nice as well. Saoirse is a compelling creature.

On-topic: bit disappointed by the level of apparent changes applied to Sleeping Dogs with the 'definitive' edition. Not that there was anything particularly wrong with it or lacking to begin with (other than perhaps the density of NPCs/traffic/on-street hubbub etc), but the additions are a little underwhelming for owners of the original (and more so for those with much or all of its DLC). Still, I'll probably pick it up one day - little excuse is needed to justify another play-through of SD.

Sajjaja

I'm not because I can curate things just fine on my own. I spent a few hours going through the entire site with the Discovery queue. Now it takes me a few minutes a day. And then I just keep an ear out for GAF recommendations and particularly interesting reviews from people on my friends list. I especially don't need YouTube personalities telling me what games are FUCKEN EPIC YO SIIIIICK or whatever.

I can see it now.

"Tired of hearing about games from juvenile YouTube personalities? I am Steam's only curator with an MA from the Derek Zoolander Center For Kids Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too."

Anteater

weird, does that poker night game give you free hats? I got a few hats in my inventory that goes for like 30cents ea for some reason, but hey free money.

edit: oh i guess they're from bioshock infinite season pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom