• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Heart of Stones is coming.
I should be receiving my Gwent decks tomorrow. ^__________^

Also, 99%
If I get a gift copy from a trader, do I get Symphonia as well?

well ya, but I don't buy not into JRPGs argument, you or like RPGs or not, you might prefer one type over the other, but at least you try all, well, I do.

Of course you can not be into JRPGs. Same as you could not be into MOBAs or FPSs. You might find a handful that you will enjoy but the genre as a whole might not appeal to you.

I get the free game thing but it was announced months ago when the steam page for the game opened. It's really weird how the counter was idling at 20% then all of sudden it started going up really quickly.

It's pity the TOS port is based on the PS3 collection but hey, you can't beat free.

Oh yeah they announced the collaborations costumes for the localized version. I still wonder how we are going to get the free stuff for the Steam version. The blog post talks about the EU VIP corner but the NA branch doesn't have that.

Probably because most people, I mean I assume, don't like pre-ordering something months in advance. A few days before or a couple of weeks, within a reasonable pay period for people makes more sense.

Wasting $50 bucks for something you won't be seeing for months right then probably seems silly to a lot of people, me included. Especially if it's a video game. A Digital version of a game that isn't some super rare special edition at that.

you know, it's shocking (again) coming from you, as I was under impression you have no genre or geopolitical prejudices and just like fun games.
The more you know...

TBH I find it funny that JRPGs are looked down upon while bloody gory disgusting morally repulsive dudebro affairs like Gears of War and God of War are considered "awesome"

Deitus

Same, I loved Chloe. ;_;

Yeah, it's a shame about them not voicing the second half of the game and everything. I was also expecting to go to the continent at some point, because they kept talking about it.

Oh yeah, everyone looked like they hadn't eaten for days, it was kind of odd. But yeah there's no contest, that soundtrack was amazing.

I really wanted to love Legendia, but it was a disappointment after Symphonia. It had a few good characters (well, mainly Chloe, but Grune and Norma were good comic relief), but Senel and Shirley were teeeeerrrible, and at a certain point the game becomes the Senel and Shirley show. I really could have done with less palette swap enemies, and the second half of the game being a rehash of the first as well (as a result, I never finished the game).

The soundtrack was phenomenal though.

Too bad the battle system wasn't anything to write home about.
Hoo! Hah! Eat this! Hoo! Hah! Eat this! Hoo! Hah! Eat this!

I like how you guys call series having something like 30 entries and being present pretty much on everything you can play games on and on something you can't, easy to miss.
Granted main series have "only" 15 games, but it's still very hard to miss.

I feel like this might just be a semantic argument over what is meant by "easy to miss." There are tons of popular franchises that I have never played, and I don't feel like I had to go out of my way to do so.

Arthea

Of course you can not be into JRPGs. Same as you could not be into MOBAs or FPSs. You might find a handful that you will enjoy but the genre as a whole might not appeal to you.

I would even agree, if this argument wasn't thrown around by people that never even tried too often. You can't know it doesn't appeal to you by looking, these are games, not pictures.
but! let's not start this argument here, it never ends well for anybody.
Let's just say, you can miss one of biggest series in the genre if said genre doesn't interest you, true.

TBH I find it funny that JRPGs are looked down upon while bloody gory disgusting morally repulsive dudebro affairs like Gears of War and God of War are considered "awesome"

JRPGs aren't looked down upon. Unless I've missed something. Pretty sure I remember GAF losing their shit when FFVIIR was announced.

Anteater

Hey folks. What are your go-to - either all time or current - games you go when you feel down and just want to feel a bit better?

god hand

ballsbwfpe.gif

I didn't think the crafting system was brutal, the only thing that really bugged me was not telling me how much of the crafted item I have.

"Well I don't know if I want to make some Hard Leather, I have no idea how much I have".

I don't mind it, just referencing the gaming side where people think everything is either the worst or the best ever. :p

aw350

Banned
A completionist dream: having all of the Tales Of series be on Steam so you can go from first to last.

The Final Fantasy series gives me hope...

Deitus

JRPGs aren't looked down upon. Unless I've missed something. Pretty sure I remember GAF losing their shit when FFVIIR was announced.

No, they definitely are. Maybe not universally, and especially on GAF you are going to find fans of every genre.

But I can't remember the last time I heard someone in the gaming press discuss a JRPG or the genre at large without an audible groan, and that mentality filters down into the gaming public as well.

Edit: As for FFVII, it is worth pointing out that many people who currently hate JRPGs hold up that game as "the last good one" or some shit like that. It's obviously going to get treated differently than a new JRPG.

^^ lol

also, I had never clicked on that "pop pop pop pop" in the title thing before but somehow knew it would be that Hyuna song...I was right

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I really wanted to love Legendia, but it was a disappointment after Symphonia. It had a few good characters (well, mainly Chloe, but Grune and Norma were good comic relief), but Senel and Shirley were teeeeerrrible, and at a certain point the game becomes the Senel and Shirley show. I really could have done with less pallet swap enemies, and the second half of the game being a rehash of the first as well (as a result, I never finished the game).

The soundtrack was phenomenal though.

Too bad the battle system wasn't anything to write home about.
Hoo! Hah! Eat this! Hoo! Hah! Eat this! Hoo! Hah! Eat this!
Mostly, I was playing solely for the cast, the story, and the cool setting. I really liked how the each character got their own arc in the second half of the game. Shirley was god awful 100% of the time, but Senel at least got sort of tolerable. A lot of its faults scream "we ran out of money": the pallet swap enemies, reused maps, the lackluster battle system...

I'd say over all, Symphonia is the better game, but even though I enjoyed it too, I just liked Legendia more.

No, they definitely are. Maybe not universally, and especially on GAF you are going to find fans of every genre.

But I can't remember the last time I heard someone in the gaming press discuss a JRPG or the genre at large without an audible groan, and that mentality filters down into the gaming public as well.

Edit: As for FFVII, it is worth pointing out that many people who currently hate JRPGs hold up that game as "the last good one" or some shit like that. It's obviously going to get treated differently than a new JRPG.

Ah, sorry. I thought you meant on GAF. Yeah the press hate them. They just think they are all terrible male power fantasies with waifu's and terrible haircuts. A lot of media outlets just seem unable to accept that the genre has changed so much since they were massively popular in the late 90s/early 00s.

I'd love to know what's up with lightning returns. That is the only entry I haven't played yet

You don't want to know what's up with it. Only that it is not a good game. And I liked XIII and XIII-2.

Caerith

well ya, but I don't buy not into JRPGs argument, you or like RPGs or not, you might prefer one type over the other, but at least you try all, well, I do.
I like RPGs, but I'm not into RPGs with terrible systems and unfun combat where the only argument in favor of is "you play it for the waifus," so I'm pretty much not into JRPGs.

Corpekata

Banned

This is a weird thing to find funny.

Not only is it a nonsense comparison, both of those games have a ton of detractors.

I was going to make a thread about Legendia but, I will just say it here instead.

Legendia is something I am utterly convinced was in development before Symphonia and for some reason just came out after it. The combat being in 2D is a bigger give away but also everything else about it. The graphics seem lesser than Symphonia in a lot of areas but on par in others. Character models are detailed but Symphonia models are more detailed. The skits aren't as good and seem less fleshed out. Legendia seems like a strange prototype. If one was to play Legendia before Symphonia I think one would have a better experience with it. I know they say it was made afterwards but, I cannot really believe that.

There is also the case that in the west they made, well the 2nd half of the game as "extra content" even so though, in Japanese those plot lines of other characters were still at the end which is really bizarre as it seems like something you would have written in a way to resolve while you complete your goal in the main goal of the game. I can commend this line of thinking though at the same time. The main story has a much more dire situation than what the other characters are going through. So it does seem to be more urgent, which in a JRPG for once without taking too many detours makes a lot of sense but, on a gameplay point of view it makes their stories seem like after thoughts to a lot of people.

I am not sure. Legendia isn't a horrible game. It had heart, the characters and the unique world of it. I just wasn't a fan of the combat in anyway and thought the main plot was dry as all hell. Shirley being the worse female lead in a Tales game doesn't help either. That said I still haven't finished the extra stories, or rather the 2nd half of the game, which I will do soon since that is where the cooler stuff is.

Anteater

I think it's just japanese games in general

Deitus

Mostly, I was playing solely for the cast, the story, and the cool setting. I really liked how the each character got their own arc in the second half of the game. Shirley was god awful 100% of the time, but Senel at least got sort of tolerable. A lot of its faults scream "we ran out of money": the pallet swap enemies, reused maps, the lackluster battle system...

I'd say over all, Symphonia is the better game, but while I enjoyed it too, I just liked Legendia more.

You are absolutely correct. And as much as I was just shitting on the game, I actually did like it, but it was also a huge disappointment. Like you I was just playing for the characters and the story, but the gameplay was just getting in the way. And after a while I just ran out of steam (I think I made it halfway through the character quests though). It's just frustrating to me, because I wanted to see it through.

I totally get why you would like the game despite it's faults, but I just couldn't get past them. And yeah, it was definitely a budget issue, which is a shame.

I think it's just japanese games in general

Touché

What? Since when? lol.

Not even when I was still in school was this true.

Final Fantasy gets a pass obviously but games like Fairy Fencer F and Hyperdimension Neptunia are always met with scorn around here.

Gears of War though? yo that shit was awesome I loved how his head exploded into tiny pieces do it again!!!

Knurek

Final Fantasy gets a pass obviously but games like Fairy Fencer F and Hyperdimension Neptunia are always met with scorn around here.

Gears of War though? yo that shit was awesome I loved how his head exploded into tiny pieces do it again!!!

Have you met Arthea?

You know, this guy:
image.php

Corpekata

Banned

Attack those straw men any harder and you'll need a barn to store all the hay.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I was gifted Zestiria as a birthday present, and Symphonia was the game that got me into the Tales series, so I'm hyped.

Durante

Attack those straw men any harder and you'll need a barn to store all the hay.
He has a point though that more recent IF games got derided perhaps a bit more than justified when they weren't that terrible anymore (likely by people who gave up on them when they still were that terrible, which is understandable).

Well Compile Heart, and in turn Idea Factory isn't known for exactly making quality games. I think there JRPGs are a bigger indicator of what's wrong with JRPGs (or Japanese games at large, at least the western perception of them) than anything else I can think of.

But, hey I really don't care for Neptunia or there games so I could just be making my dislike speak.

Jawmuncher

He has a point though that more recent IF games got derided perhaps a bit more than justified when they weren't that terrible anymore (likely by people who gave up on them when they still were that terrible, which is understandable).

To me it seems most jrpgs these days just get more shit for anime design especially on female characters. Well that and nothing has seemed to elevate the genre in quite some time.

Would be interesting to see a JRPG made for a western audience foremost. It would need to look more like dark souls I guess in terms of aesthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom