• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

I like RPGs, but I'm not into RPGs with terrible systems and unfun combat where the only argument in favor of is "you play it for the waifus," so I'm pretty much not into JRPGs.

only it is opposite, combat systems of JRPGs are of insane variety and often so much fun that you can ignore anything: waifus, writing, graphics, fanservice, literally everything devs decide to throw at you.
So ya, as I said I don't buy this argument and it seems I'm right about not buying it still.

Corpekata

Banned
He has a point though that more recent IF games got derided perhaps a bit more than justified when they weren't that terrible anymore (likely by people who gave up on them when they still were that terrible, which is understandable).

I'd say he has no point given the audience for Gears of War probably has no fucking clue what Idea Factory even is.

The people that shit on games like Neptunia are people that are actually interested in Japanese games, or at least were at one point. Nobody else knows they exist.

Hektor

wy7b.jpg

tumblr_n0cpp9fflP1sia4voo1_400.gif

Well Compile Heart, and in turn Idea Factory isn't known for exactly making quality games. I think there JRPGs are a bigger indicator of what's wrong with JRPGs (or Japanese games at large, at least the western perception of them) than anything else I can think of.

But, hey I really don't care for Neptunia or there games so I could just be making my dislike speak.

A company that makes games for a certain audience, knows how to budget and sell them internationally and is successful with it is pretty much the opposite of what's wrong with Japanese games these days.

Except when it comes to games like Neptunia, where the gameplay is taking a backseat.

So call them VNs with basic JRPG elements. Who cares. They're fun games.

only it is opposite, combat systems of JRPGs are of insane variety and often so much fun that you can ignore anything: waifus, writing, graphics, fanservice, literally everything devs decide to throw at you.
So ya, as I said I don't buy this argument and it seems I'm right about not buying it still.

Except when it comes to games like Neptunia, where the gameplay is taking a backseat.

A company that makes games for a certain audience, knows how to budget and sell them internationally and is successful with it is pretty much the opposite of what's wrong with Japanese games these days.

Oh, I am fully aware of why they still make them and the audience that buys them. I am just voicing my dislike of them. It's their niche and they use it well to it's full extent and I can't blame them.

I just don't like what they put out.

They're fun games.

You state that like it's a fact.

I'd say he has no point given the audience for Gears of War probably has no fucking clue what Idea Factory even is.

The people that shit on games like Neptunia are people that are actually interested in Japanese games, or at least were at one point. Nobody else knows they exist.

I'm talking about the Neogaf crowd obviously. Many people on this website are quick to shit on JRPGs for looking "anime" or "otaku"

Corpekata

Banned
I'm talking about the Neogaf crowd obviously. Many people on this website are quick to shit on JRPGs for looking "anime" or "otaku"

It's still a straw man and shitty point.

It'd be like saying "I love Gears of War for it's cover system and tactical gameplay, JRPG fans just want to fondle their waifu's tits and wouldn't understand."

You're doing literally the thing you're complaining about.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
There is also the case that in the west they made, well the 2nd half of the game as "extra content" even so though, in Japanese those plot lines of other characters were still at the end which is really bizarre as it seems like something you would have written in a way to resolve while you complete your goal in the main goal of the game. I can commend this line of thinking though at the same time. The main story has a much more dire situation than what the other characters are going through. So it does seem to be more urgent, which in a JRPG for once without taking too many detours makes a lot of sense but, on a gameplay point of view it makes their stories seem like after thoughts to a lot of people.
I thought the way the extra chapters were handled was pretty neat too, especially since I was used to games throwing in these side quests as things you can bang out before going to the final boss. But I understand that a lot of people stopped playing after finishing the main quest, and didn't get to the real ending, so it's kind of a crapshoot whether that was an effective way to do things.

And I think you do make a pretty good case for Legendia predating Symphonia. Maybe Namco was just trying to capitalize on the increased brand awareness abroad, and needed to release something quick.

I totally get why you would like the game despite it's faults, but I just couldn't get past them. And yeah, it was definitely a budget issue, which is a shame.
And I totally get why you couldn't get past the faults. Even as someone hooked, I felt revisiting the same areas and the combat were pretty draining. Like, I'm aware enough to not recommend Legendia to someone who wants to try a Tales game, but I'd tell people who were already fans to at least give it a try.

No I state that like it's my opinion. Not sure why you're ignoring the other part.

People can see that they're not stellar JRPGs but still enjoy the games because of everything else.

I didn't ignore the other part. I read it. Just the way that line was delivered you act as though "Yeah whatever they aren't good JRPGs but they are fun." when someone who may not know about these games can be disappointed that the gameplay isn't up to snuff. It just came off as a defacto statement is all to me at first. I apologize in that case.

I didn't say no one could not enjoy the games, I have plenty of friends that do.

Lomax

Was it ever confirmed that GMG credit is expiring in November ?%

Nope, there's been nothing else. I'm thinking maybe it was just that particular person's credit that was about to expire. But the Bioshock promotion is about to end in a few days, so once that does we'll see if anything happens to the program.

https://forums.playfire.com/gmg/thread/124744

So while the official announcement is still in the making it very much looks like it's happening.

I stand corrected. My guess is then that the announcement will hit at the end of the week, once the Bioshock promo is over.

I thought the way the extra chapters were handled was pretty neat too, especially since I was used to games throwing in these side quests as things you can bang out before going to the final boss. But I understand that a lot of people stopped playing after finishing the main quest, and didn't get to the real ending, so it's kind of a crapshoot whether that was an effective way to do things.

And I think you do make a pretty good case for Legendia predating Symphonia. Maybe Namco was just trying to capitalize on the increased brand awareness abroad, and needed to release something quick.
The extra chapters kinda do alleviate the whole side quest thing if someone wanted to see something but missed it that's true. Although I never thought about that angle. Symphonia struck like gold in the west (all things considering) so Legendia being a quick game they put out to capitalize on "Tales of" makes a lot of sense.
Neptunia Clicker.

Make it happen.

Something tells me it's something that is already done that they are saving for a rainy day :v

Anastasia

I'm not the biggest fan of jrpgs, but I think I'm not really patient enough to play most of them. I like something like the Souls games, which are more action-y and dynamic but with RPG elements, than classical jrpg gameplay. With that said I consider Chrono Trigger one of the best games ever. So I think it depends on the execution of the systems. But in general I just don't bother with them.

Hey folks. What are your go-to - either all time or current - games you go when you feel down and just want to feel a bit better?

Something like Just Cause 2 or SR3 where it's really easy to jump into and play, and you can have lots of fun messing around in the world. Super Mario Galaxy has also never failed to put a smile on my face.

I hope you feel better soon~ *hugs*

It's still a straw man and shitty point.

It'd be like saying "I love Gears of War for it's cover system and tactical gameplay, JRPG fans just want to fondle their waifu's tits and wouldn't understand."

You're doing literally the thing you're complaining about.

You're on a different page. I find both genres morally repulsive at times, but gory games like Gears of War and God of War much more so due to championing violence and gore, and yet one is universally accepted in society and the other is scorned. Just pointing out hypocrisy.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, there's been nothing else. I'm thinking maybe it was just that particular person's credit that was about to expire. But the Bioshock promotion is about to end in a few days, so once that does we'll see if anything happens to the program.\
Does the Bioshock promo work with credit? I tried using the voucher and credit, and it didn't work, but I wasn't sure if that was just me. I only have $1.07 to spend anyway.

The extra chapters kinda do alleviate the whole side quest thing if someone wanted to see something but missed it that's true. Although I never thought about that angle. Symphonia struck like gold in the west (all things considering) so Legendia being a quick game they put out to capitalize on "Tales of" makes a lot of sense.
I also think it was a compromise they had to make given the Japanese audience; to really capitalize in the West, it would've made more sense to release a follow up on the Gamecube itself, but in Japan, the entire fan base was on the PS2. Hell, the PS2 release of Symphonia outsold the Gamecube one, even though it came out I think years later.

Parsnip

I like how you guys call series having something like 30 entries and being present pretty much on everything you can play games on and on something you can't, easy to miss.
Granted main series have "only" 15 games, but it's still very hard to miss.

As an European console gamer, it was pretty easy to miss a lot of things on all generations before PS360.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate -- MB-7AB02B2E4D1191B7 - Taken by Anastasia. 4 entrants total.

t1444669930z1.png

dot

Oh nice, Zestiria is at 100%. Now if only i wasn't poor right now. ;-;

also, I had never clicked on that "pop pop pop pop" in the title thing before but somehow knew it would be that Hyuna song...I was right

I'm kinda jelly... i mean does the guy even listen to kpop? :(

Caerith

I've played the Agarest games, and my post is on the same page as people discussing quitting games they otherwise loved because of terrible gameplay. Let's not kid ourselves: the JRPG genre is not known for fun.

Hey folks. What are your go-to - either all time or current - games you go when you feel down and just want to feel a bit better?

My "feel better" game isn't a video game. It's a drinking game with very simple rules: every time you take a drink, take a drink.

14 Minutes of Rise of the Tomb Raider Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JPL7AM2Mto

I was sort of interested while watching until the "puzzle" where you fall down to a puddle and then you have to solve a puzzle where the solution was shoot obvious thing and then optionally use Batman mode to find the place where you need to press X.

ZZZ

edit. Then to another super surprising trap where you need to
smash X to protect Lara

edit2: lmao how many times can something collapse under her

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom