• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Where does this spider thing come from? I actually know another guy online that is kind of like this and he is a retired marine with at least one purple heart and does MMA lol.

Anyone else have some hard to explain prejudice towards RPG Maker games? I don't know how to express it - the moment I see "RPG Maker" in the tags, I immediately think the game (a) is going to lack visuals, and (b) will try to be proud of that and will try to compensate with some pretense at "depth". I didn't even play any RPG Maker games, so that's somewhat irrational - am I missing much by automatically excluding these games from even being considered?

Well you're missing To The Moon which makes you a monster. But I know what you mean, the problem is that there are too many bad RPG Maker games so you just write them all off because of that. There are a bunch of great ones though, it's just an engine for making RPGs so you get good ones and bad ones.

Ribeiro

Where does this spider thing come from? I actually know another guy online that is kind of like this and he is a retired marine with at least one purple heart and does MMA lol.
Technically it is one of the primal fears of Men. Did you watch it It from Stephen King?
Pennywise transforms itself in one giant mothefuckin' Spider because of this

And apparently there is a App called Phobia Free, that is approved by the NHS from UK. Maybe you should look for it.

Arthea

Anyone else have some hard to explain prejudice towards RPG Maker games? I don't know how to express it - the moment I see "RPG Maker" in the tags, I immediately think the game (a) is going to lack visuals, and (b) will try to be proud of that and will try to compensate with some pretense at "depth". I didn't even play any RPG Maker games, so that's somewhat irrational - am I missing much by automatically excluding these games from even being considered?

They have a stigma, yeah, you are not alone, low res is something not many people can tolerate these days, but there are good RPG maker games, make no mistake, maybe not OMG awesome, but good.
About not missing that much, it depends, if you aren't into RPGs, what most of these games are after all, you probably aren't missing anything.

Well you're missing To The Moon which makes you a monster. But I know what you mean, the problem is that there are too many bad RPG Maker games so you just write them all off because of that. There are a bunch of great ones though, it's just an engine for making RPGs so you get good ones and bad ones.

Missing To The Moon is totally fine, tho.

Ban Puncher

Guys, thanks to Bernardo's generosity I am totally on the Zestiria hype train now!

I still haven't received my gift yet but it'll probably be here soon!

I'll just sit and wait patiently!

hM6YKpa.gif

Buraindo

Guess I'm going to add Sniper Elite 2 to the list of games I'm not going to beat any time soon. Those are some lousy levels for a supposedly stealth sniping game. That and the gameplay got old really fast.

Space Marine isn't faring that well either, between poorly placed checkpoints (generally before some slow moving elevator or a cutscene or some other annoyance), frustrating difficulty spikes and that awful health regain system.
Who thought it would be a good idea to let you take damage while stuck in some over the top execution animation you must do to regain health. I'm too close to the end to not finish it at this point, but I already know I'm not playing it again.

Ehhh far from mediocre. Try Tales of Symphonia Dawn of a New World, Tales of Legendia or Tempest.
1ksWFY4.gif

Sure it probably isn't as middling as either Dawn of a New World or Legendia, it's probably miles better than those games, both of which I beat but, it doesn't seem that amazing either from what I hear. I don't know. The combat is alright (baring you aren't on shitty terrain.). Not even talking about the thing Japan got mad about with the characters either (won't talk about that due to spoilers). Just the story itself apparently doesn't have a good pay off. Not sure how true that is.

Guess I'm going to add Sniper Elite 2 to the list of games I'm not going to beat any time soon. Those are some lousy levels for a supposedly stealth sniping game. That and the gameplay got old really fast.

Shame. The game is better than people give it credit for I think. Stealth sniping is kind of ridiculous though at times. If you got tired of the gameplay though I can't blame you there either.

I don't even know why I like V2 or 3, that I am currently playing through but, I just do.

Anteater

Aint got nuttin' on TW3.

And I also feel like the worldbuilding is a massive step back from the likes of San Andreas, atleast when it comes to actual interactivity with said world. It's just pretty damn empty compared to what it easily could've been.

They started the emphasis on a story in FPS' with HL1, and expanded heavily upon it in HL2. They surely didn't start the cinematic FPS genre, since they've focused on player agency and not taking the control away from the player instead of being cinematic and shooty-bang-bang. Having "interactable cutscenes" (Which, no, it's not cutscenes, it's just exposition within actual sections of gameplay, darn it!) or rather scripted NPC encounters with full player agency is the direct opposite of "cinematic" FPS'.

What I meant by cinematic is the use of scripted, linear and restricted scenarios like running forward down a corridor, standing around watching a scene play, it's mostly there to immerse the player into the atmosphere, I'm not sure if that was the right word to use, but cinematic was most definitely the first thing that popped up in my mind.

We see that kind of gameplay being used in an exaggerated fashion in games these days, games with heavy focus on story and narrative driven, like Metro, Bioshock Infinite, etc.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Sure it probably isn't as middling as either Dawn of a New World or Legendia, both of which I beat but, it doesn't seem that amazing either from what I hear. I don't know combat is alright (baring you aren't on shitty terrain.)

Combat system is more like Tales of Graces F so automatically better combat than Xillia. The story is not offensive and a lot of the trashing was over a waifu. Camera can be shitty on tight spots but thats not something that happens all the time compared to everything else.

The main issues would be perhaps the way some subsystems are handled poorly and the armors. There was a lot of experimentation that was very hit or miss but overall its a serviceable game.

fertygo

People always complain about Tales of series "quality"

But I feel I enjoy their "average-ness" if that made any sense, Its always met my expectation of anime character, color everywhere, calm atmosphere in-between, I feel I knew what I'm getting into for every game.

Btw I love Legendia, screw you guys ;__;

Combat system is more like Tales of Graces F so automatically better combat than Xillia. The story is not offensive and a lot of the trashing was over a waifu. Camera can be shitty on tight spots but thats not something that happens all the time compared to everything else.

The main issues would be perhaps the way some subsystems are handled poorly and the armors. There was a lot of experimentation that was very hit or miss but overall its a serviceable game.

Ah, I see. Yeah I know most of it's trashing came about with the bait and switch marketing Namco did in Japan for one of the characters. My mediocre comment was more of an exaggeration than anything.

But I feel I enjoy their "average-ness" if that made any sense, Its always met my expectation of anime character, color everywhere, calm atmosphere in-between, I feel I knew what I'm getting into for every game.

The averageness is what bugs me about Tales games is the thing recently compared to other JRPGs. When people complain about JRPGs being to anime, I look at Tales as the poster child of this. Not that the games are bad or broken but, they are hit or miss for me it seems.

I love the characters in Legendia, at least Chloe, Norma and Senel. I just wish they were in a better game.

Tizoc

do i buy zestiria or sonic lost world? mmmmm
Up to u
Lost world was sega's attempt at making a 3d mario-like platformer
The game has a friggin run button for crying out loud
Plus it has big modding potentiel

Zestiria is a jrpg woth generic anime ess but the combat would be satisfying.

ArjanN

of course the Witcher, creating something from a scratch is always much harder and more time consuming than copying existing, not even a question.

edited: assuming we talk about the same level of detail, of course

Zesty is second bestselling game and we have more than a week to go, you can switch to 100% hype
I hope

Also the GTA team has unlimited time and money.

Arthea

I've never played a Tales of game.

how have you managed this heroic feat when there are so many of them?

can't say I love Legendia, but I don't hate it like the rest of the world, so that makes two of us now in this cosy non hating camp

Maniac

Banned
What I meant by cinematic is the use of scripted, linear and restricted scenarios like running forward down a corridor, standing around watching a scene play, it's mostly there to immerse the player into the atmosphere, I'm not sure if that was the right word to use, but cinematic was most definitely the first thing that popped up in my mind.

We see that kind of gameplay being used in an exaggerated fashion in games these days, games with heavy focus on story and narrative driven, like Metro, Bioshock Infinite, etc.

Both of the games you just mentioned use actual cutscenes too though. B.Infinite is especially guilty of far too many cutscenes where all sense of player agency and control is taken away.

But fair enough, if the word cinematic makes sense in your head, that's fair. :p

Parsnip

how have you managed this heroic feat when there are so many of them?

It seems to have been pretty easy.
I once saw a friend play fan translation of Phantasia on an emulator and I saw Cube version of Symphonia at a local store once, those are my Tales of sightings.

but they are everywhere!
Not really. The series didn't even gain steam (lol) until Symphonia came out on the Gamecube. If Symphonia sold like shit Namco would probably still not be localizing the games. Thankfully it sold well because the gamecube was kinda JRPG starved and was a good game.
Even playing Jrpgs it's pretty easy to skip over tales.

Yeah it's not that hard. I agree with you there.

Up to u
Lost world was sega's attempt at making a 3d mario-like platformer
The game has a friggin run button for crying out loud
Plus it has big modding potentiel

Zestiria is a jrpg woth generic anime ess but the combat would be satisfying.

Wait.

What? See like I said I hadn't played Lost World yet and barely read any reviews only saw some gameplay.

They put a fucking run button in a Sonic game? Like as in not spin dash or boost? Literally a button to make him move his feet fast? The thing he is known for and has done by default for 20 years?

Ehhh this is starting to sound more passable by the day.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Zestiria looks great, but I'm honestly in RPG overload at the moment and probably won't even be able to get to Zestiria until I'm done with Dragon Quest Heroes
and also making my own game(s)
. Next month is mostly dedicated to Fallout 4. Sorry Tales of, but I just have better games to play right now.

Tizoc

Zestiria looks great, but I'm honestly in RPG overload at the moment and probably won't even be able to get to Zestiria until I'm done with Dragon Quest Heroes
. Next month is mostly dedicated to Fallout 4. Sorry Tales of, but I just have better games to play right now.
Pray to crom for a misprice or decent winter seal price and his grace may fall upon you.

What better game? All you wrote was Fallout 4.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

MbmDY6z.png

Mystery Gift -- MB-BE91BF09CD46A6FE - Taken by Loptous. 10 entrants total.

t1444663509z1.png

Lomax

IF the Zestiria reward ends on 99% or below, I wonder how the fallout on GAF would play through. I imagine a lot of people blaming themselves for not reaching it while a few people here and there saying that it was all a ploy by Bamco to get the preorders but never fulfilling the final one.

They'll probably release Symphonia for $50 later too.

It will obviously make 100%, but if it didn't I'm sure they'd have a bunch of refunds coming.

On a related note, how successful is the "Tales of" series on consoles? Is it a multi-million seller or just a niche title?

Shin Megami Tensei: Casper Adventures

It will obviously make 100%, but if it didn't I'm sure they'd have a bunch of refunds coming.

On a related note, how successful is the "Tales of" series on consoles? Is it a multi-million seller or just a niche title?

They do sell millions of copies. Maybe not immediately though and the franchise is only a bit younger than Final Fantasy is. It's known but not Final Fantasy known obviously.

In the West it's still super niche. Although that is based entirely on anecdotal evidence, maybe someone has some actual numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom