• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
wLGWmq0.jpg

Ludens

Banned
yes, large scale battles with interesting battle system and a lot of options, that's really something we should hate, too much of gameplay! who would want that?

Well, I hate it because there are only battles and nothing else. Exploration is awful, cities are just empty corridors, the plot is bad.

Who cares about critical acclaim? The game has 96% positive user reviews on Steam. It's definitely not complete garbage.

And Zestiria is supposed to be quite mediocre or "middling" as well. The Tales series isn't really known for consistently high quality.

I don't think you quite understand the user reviews score. This is not 96% of people, this is the top 50 rated reviews of people who actually looked at it and decided they wanted to spend money on it and then upvoted reviews saying it was good so they felt better.

Outside of the small circle, it is considered garbage which is why people don't buy it. As such it isn't a metric for sales or the PC platform as a whole.

I do agree on the Tales series though, there have been some very solid games in the series, but it has suffered a little by the last 11 or so entries being crap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people can't enjoy them! I'm just saying they shouldn't.

Arthea

Well, I hate it because there are only battles and nothing else. Exploration is awful, cities are just empty corridors, the plot is bad.

not true, the game has share amount of good sidequests too and a plot isn't bad, it's passable

btw MGS sucks

I don't think you quite understand the user reviews score. This is not 96% of people, this is the top 50 rated reviews of people who actually looked at it and decided they wanted to spend money on it and then upvoted reviews saying it was good so they felt better.

Outside of the small circle, it is considered garbage which is why people don't buy it. As such it isn't a metric for sales or the PC platform as a whole.

I do agree on the Tales series though, there have been some very solid games in the series, but it has suffered a little by the last 11 or so entries being crap.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying people can't enjoy them! I'm just saying they shouldn't.
and I'm saying you shouldn't say what people should do or enjoy.
Even less to insist that something is garbage because you say so. How many of those games have you played, actually?

fertygo

Who cares about critical acclaim? The game has 96% positive user reviews on Steam. It's definitely not complete garbage.

And Zestiria is supposed to be quite mediocre or "middling" as well. The Tales series isn't really known for consistently high quality.

Middling in fame I guess? I mean the whole discussion started about why IF games never break 100k+ sales again, I just wanna say its simply never attract that much of audience at first place. or even meant to be. Its supposed to attract small audience, that substract to even more smaller core that will buy the figurine and dakimakura. Its not surprise at all the sales will keep weed out the one that not into the series build up. The one that loyal to the series is the one that understand what the series and like it, you can say that to all sequel title but even more so with how specific the audience that game like Neptunia aim.

Even with keep declining sales, Tales of Series still much bigger title that attract bigger range of audience.. Audience can just simply handpick new entry in the series, despite not liking or even play previous game. Neptunia games of course not build for succession like that, or even hook that casual buyer can simply randomly pick.

Btw I'm totally use critical acclaim term wrongly lol

Tizoc

SMT 1 and 2 should be on Steam as well as Megami Tensei 1 and 2

also throw 3 on as well..

make a whole damn package subscription will cast Mamoolah

SMT2 hadn't gotten an official english localization yet though. Don't forget about SMT if...
Atlus needs to get their heads out of their asses and realize that if you do a good port to PC/Steam, the consumer would be more interested in your ish.

Kids want that Persona, but real RPG fans go for dat SMT; does Persona have you fight a demon who's kicking your ass WHILE THEY'RE SITTING ON A TOILET SEAT?
98-smt2e_00092.png

But people do buy it.
170k people

And these are the reviews on Steam
5QDbohE.png

Nfulvj1.png

What am I misunderstanding?

Accept it. A lot of people genuinely like Neptunia.

derExperte

Wait, what? Anime JRPG fans are crayayayzy and I generally don't trust their opinions but if you hover over the 'Overwhelming Positive' it says 96% of the 3830 reviews are positive.

Argh, guess I won't play it anytime soon, I need a good mix of everything in long games like that.

tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

Ludens

Banned
not true, the game has share amount of good sidequests too and a plot isn't bad, it's passable

Yeah, and all quests I did (if you are talking about Guild's quests) involve fighting something.

btw MGS sucks

If you are talking about MGSV plot and side-quests (plus all filler missions you need to do in order to see the "good" ones) I agree with you. Still I spent 130 hours on it because, stealth side, is the best title you can find at the moment. The title is plenty of issues, anyway.

Chariot

People seriously hating on NepNep, smh.

The Neptunia series is neither deep in the mechanics nor in the story. It's simple, uncomplicated fun that people enjoy. The characters are cute, silly and occasionally crack a meta joke and the battlesystem is easy to understand and to execute without beinh entirely brainless.

I love the Neptunia series genuinly, I have both Re;births at 100% and will buy 3 at launch without regret. It's not a top tier revolutionary game, it's just a fun one.

Corpekata

Banned

btw MGS sucks

and I'm saying you shouldn't say what people should do or enjoy.
Even less to insist that something is garbage because you say so. How many of those games have you played, actually?

Do you not see the irony is complaining about him acting like his opinion is the correct one when you in the same post dismissed someone else's opinion of aspects of a different game as not true?

Arthea

Do you not see the irony is complaining about him acting like his opinion is the correct one when you in the same post dismissed someone else's opinion of a different game as not true?

I dismissed art style dissing, what it has to do with games again? I haven't seen single argument why games are garbage yet, not even one.

Corpekata

Banned
I dismissed art style dissing, what it has to do with games again? I haven't seen single argument why games are garbage yet, not even one.

You literally just told PunishedSnake his opinions about Last Remnant's side quests and story are not true. You are doing the same sort of dismissive stuff you're complaining about.

And, while I wasn't talking about that, acting like art style is irrelevant to games is bonkers in the first place.

Arthea

You literally just told PunishedSnake his opinions about Last Remnant's side quests and story are not true. You are doing the same sort of dismissive stuff you're complaining about other people are doing.

And, while I wasn't talking about that, acting like art style is irrelevant to games is bonkers in the first place.

that's just a banter, we are talking Nep Nep here not tLR
you can't prove that story is good or bad, I know it, but combat in tLR is great, more people agree with this than with his opinion.

it is irrelevant, it always will be, first video games had no graphics like text quests and ASCII games, how about that? Of course if you don't like artstyle you are less inclined to buy a game, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, unless you can prove otherwise. I'm all ears.

Please link me the passage in which I wrote the combat system is bad, I missed it.

you called it boring, boring is bad, in my book it's very very bad, nothing can be worse even

Ludens

Banned
that's just banter, we are talking Nep Nep here not tLR
you can't prove that story is good or bad, I know it, but combat in tLR is great, more people agree with this than with his opinion.

Please link me the passage in which I wrote the combat system is bad, I missed it.

you called it boring, boring is bad, in my book it's very very bad, nothing can be worse even

When you do the same thing and nothing else for 100 hours, to me is boring.

derExperte

don't listen to him! he said several times he plays RPGs for a story, what more proof do you need?
Also battles are great, so there is that.

But I like stories in my RPGs, Planescape Torment or Vampire Bloodlines aren't the best ever because of their fights. And when there are too many I start to get nervous and annoyed cause they rarely hold my interest. Random battles every five steps? Ohboyohboy.

Corpekata

Banned
that's just a banter, we are talking Nep Nep here not tLR

it is irrelevant, it always will be, first video games had no graphics like text quests and ASCII games, how about that? Of course if you don't like artstyle you are less inclined to buy a game, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it, unless you can prove otherwise. I'm all ears.

Your argument makes no sense. Because games used to have limited graphics, graphics are irrelevant to games? Is sound design irrelevant? Voice Acting? Decent writing? A good UI? Or does this random shield from criticism only apply to anime?

I mean, you have your own games to prove that to you, if you want, even though it's an asinine point in the first place. Your argument is that people can enjoy games despite the art style and it is irrelevant. So why are these games super niche, exactly?

Arthea

But I like stories in my RPGs. When there are too many battles I start to get nervous and annoyed. Random battles every five steps? Ohboyohboy.

you guys are just weird!
battles aren't random, you see enemies (there are some exceptions) and can avoid most of them, not really advised, but you can.

Your argument makes no sense. Because games used to have limited graphics, graphics are irrelevant to games? Is sound design irrelevant? Voice Acting? Decent writing? A good UI? Or does this random shield from criticism only apply to anime?

I mean, you have your own games to prove that to you, if you want, even though it's an asinine point in the first place. Your argument is that people can enjoy games despite the art style and it is irrelevant. So why are these games super niche, exactly?

everything not gameplay related is irrelevant more or less, VA totally, I know that people can go mental over it for reasons I can't fathom, but ya irrelevant, it can take out of your enjoyment of a game, but it can't make a good game bad. Good UI is totally integral part of gameplay, don't see how you can lump those together.
Writing totally depends how much you stress on it, most games aren't about writing, VNs are, for example.

I know exactly why, low budgets, it happens even to the very best of low budgets games, like Mana Khemia, which is an amazing game, one of GOATs actually, but it had very low budget, hence not many are interested in it.

People seriously hating on NepNep, smh.

The Neptunia series is neither deep in the mechanics nor in the story. It's simple, uncomplicated fun that people enjoy. The characters are cute, silly and occasionally crack a meta joke and the battlesystem is easy to understand and to execute without beinh entirely brainless.

I love the Neptunia series genuinly, I have both Re;births at 100% and will buy 3 at launch without regret. It's not a top tier revolutionary game, it's just a fun one.

I'm not hating NepNep, as I've never played it. I just find the game is not my kind of thing, that's all.
It's like pushing console only folks to play classic crpg. They won't be interested on them.

Ludens

Banned
but how you do the same when your army is constantly evolving and battle system with it?

Still turn based, still a lot of encounters to do, for 100 hours or so.

Yeah, I play rpgs for the story, I need something pushing me to continue playing.
I hate grinding, farming etc, but if there's a story catching up my interest, I can pass on that and go on. It was different when I was 12 years old, maybe, I remember grinding, farming etc, didn't give me problems, but today those are big issues.

But I like stories in my RPGs, Planescape Torment or Vampire Bloodlines aren't the best ever because of their fights. And when there are too many I start to get nervous and annoyed cause they rarely hold my interest. Random battles every five steps? Ohboyohboy.

Exactly. Planescape is one of my favourite crpg of all time. Guess what? You can reduce fights to the bare minimum if you put point in the right skills, solving a lot of situations by talking or just acting in a different manner. Yes, there are still fights you can't skip, but it's not really a problem. The game is written is a superb way, I loved every single line of text on it.
Bloodlines is another awesome title too, I played it only once when it released, still I can remember a lot of quests, like the snuff movie one. For me, if the plot is not solid, I have no interest to proceed. Maybe this is the reason why I usually don't play multiplayer games too, with some rare exceptions (like, I played a lot of Uncharted 2 multiplayer, mostly doing coop with my brother and we had a lot of fun).

Especially those older JRPGs where you have to go back through the maze after you just barely beat the boss, and the random encounters are still there.

Play Final Fantasy IV After Years. Really. There's a dungeon you need to do FIVE times. FIVE. Random encounter ratio is also insane in that area.

But I like stories in my RPGs. When there are too many battles I start to get nervous and annoyed. Random battles every five steps? Ohboyohboy.

Especially those older JRPGs where you have to go back through the maze after you just barely beat the boss, and the random encounters are still there.

Chariot

I'm not hating NepNep, as I've never played it. I just find the game is not my kind of thing, that's all.
It's like pushing console only folks to play classic crpg. They won't be interested on them.
Not aimed at you. It's okay to not like things, but toddhunter tries to devalue and diminish my love and the love of thousands of thousands of fans for NepNep. and that's not okay.

Jawmuncher

Not aimed at you. It's okay to not like things, but toddhunter tries to devalue and diminish my love and the love of thousands of thousands of fans for NepNep. and that's not okay.

The day you fully defend Producing Perfection is the day everything becomes meaningless.

Some people like thing, some people don't like thing. Some other people like other thing and some people don't like other thing. This is what makes the world great!

I like Neptunia but I can totally see why someone wouldn't. Saying that everything other than gameplay is irrelevant to games though, that's a good one. If that's the case then why don't we just go back to SNES graphics for everything?

Ah okay, that's cool. :D
I just felt that I'm somewhat'responsible' to this rather unhealthy JRPG discussion as I'm the one who brought up the topic earlier.

Deques

Bought One more bundle for the game that seems that we cannot speak of and Warlocks vs Shadows. My backlog is increasing a lot soon. 10 games from Killer Bundle 5, 1 game from Capcom bundle and now 2 games from One more bundle. It's already getting out of control again

kurahador

It's a fine game. The map screen isn't very fun, but the rest of the game is pretty good (at least you can see the monsters and outrun them if you need to.)

The map like exploration was such a weird and an obvious budget constraint decision. Took a long time for me to get used to it.

L.O.R.D

castle crashers update is up 33mb

also , update for Ori 165 mb
Fixed Windows 10 "running to the left" Xbox One controller issue.
Fixed an issue where the screen would flip upside down during cutscenes.
Fixed controller vibration not working on some controllers.
Fixed an issue with Sorrow Pass boulder going missing, causing the player to get stuck.
Fixed rare issue with no main menu showing up after “Press any key”.

L.O.R.D

I assume Castle Crasher is the remastered stuff but what's in the Ori patch?

http://steamcommunity.com/games/261570/announcements/detail/128709327837075853

Fixed Windows 10 "running to the left" Xbox One controller issue.
Fixed an issue where the screen would flip upside down during cutscenes.
Fixed controller vibration not working on some controllers.
Fixed an issue with Sorrow Pass boulder going missing, causing the player to get stuck.
Fixed rare issue with no main menu showing up after “Press any key”.

Uzzy

Indeed. Random battles are the worst, I feel. If I'm playing an RPG and I engage in combat, I want it to be a meaningful, life threatening event. Not just something that you engage in because the designers fear that you'll get bored if you're not killing hordes of enemies every few minutes. That's how I attempted to do it when I ran games of WoD for my friends.

Killing things should have some weight, damn it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom