• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExoSoul

Banned
Can't believe the first time I beat Charge Shot's campaign I manage t do it without deahs, talk about being in the zone...
Don't ask me to do it again cause I won't be able to.

fertygo

Kinda both, I guess.
I love conversations, choices, and story telling in my RPG, which is lacking in Souls. And the game difficulty is too harsh for me.

Uh didn't you enjoy Diablo like RPG tho? Souls is like those game in storytelling (and still satisfying IMO) with non-isometric combat.

I'm dying a lot in souls game too but its still blast to play, the combat is just felt so good.. unlike other 3rd person RPG that felt so janky in control and feel.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So what's the full tally from 2012 up to today?

No idea. In 2013 I did keep track of my spending for the first few months or so, but at some point I forgot about the spreadsheet and by the time I realised as much, I couldn't be bothered backfilling weeks and weeks of data. I no longer have the file, either, thanks to my previous SSD suddenly dying.

Deques

Morning everyone!

So I finally got the magic number before the big milestone magic number
0JG6yIg.png

I told that Zesty would be my 2000th game. So I put in the cart
ij714y5.png

And bought it!
wmcubhG.png

Now I have
k9wDe5o.png

Yay!!

Just backers or everyone? I dont really get it. i still have my AMD ship.

Everyone, everybody has access to everything now. So all you need to do is buy whatever ship you want and you get access to all of the game (alpha, beta access, arena commander, star marine, full single/multiplayer game when it releases etc.)

Just redeemed the Capcom bundle. Feels good.

Uh didn't you enjoy Diablo like RPG tho? Souls is like those game in storytelling (and still satisfying IMO) with non-isometric combat.

I'm dying a lot in souls game too but its still blast to play, the combat is just felt so good.. unlike other 3rd person RPG that felt so janky in control and feel.

Diablo is a different case. It's actually fun to play with lots of lootz. And there are actually conversation and text on the quests. I don't find Souls games fun to play, they made me frustrated instead. Dying is a waste of time, I have to do everything all over again from a checkpoint, and I lost all of my progress. And I die a lot.

Morning everyone!

So I finally got the magic number before the big milestone magic number
0JG6yIg.png

I told that Zesty would be my 2000th game. So I put in the cart
ij714y5.png

And bought it!
wmcubhG.png

Now I have
k9wDe5o.png

Yay!!

You're doing great.

AHA-Lambda

I finally got my backlog to a comfortable minimum, and then Killer Bundle 5 comes along and Binary Domain goes on sale ;_;

Anyway, I'm on chapter 3 of witcher 1 now; it's ok, clearly dated.
I admit I'm probably not getting the most out of this cos tbh I'm playing on easy cos of the crap combat and am mainlining the story. Would rather just get on to W2 & 3.

Plot doesn't seem anything special, I don't have a great sense of why I should care about the salamandra as a villain, I just know they're bad. I haven't read the books but I don't feel I have a great sense of the state of the world as a whole.

I like a lot of the characters though, thought the political dinner party was great in particular. Still rather get on to W2 soon as.

fertygo

Diablo is a different case. It's actually fun to play with lots of lootz. And there are actually conversation and text on the quests. I don't find Souls games fun to play, they made me frustrated instead. Dying is a waste of time, I have to do everything all over again from a checkpoint, and I lost all of my progress. And I die a lot.

Git gud :p

But I don't mind trial and error as long I enjoy it, its made me anxious to overcome.. even at Small game like Marvelous Miss Take I repeat the mission to get the last emblem for each character, I won't bother if the game not fun enough to warranty that tho :D

Git gud :p

But I don't mind trial and error as long I enjoy it, its made me anxious to overcome.. even at Small game like Marvelous Miss Take I repeat the mission to get the last emblem for each character, I won't bother if the game not fun enough to warranty that tho :D

Yeah, I keep hearing those words a lot in almost every Souls thread, git gud. :D
But I don't know, I just can't. If there's an easy mode that allows me to quicksave anywhere and monsters don't respawn each time I die, perhaps I'll give the games another go. Because that's my main concern of these games. The games punish me by wasting my time because of dying. I barely have time to play video games, so no thanks.

Yeah, I keep hearing those words a lot in almost every Souls thread, git gud. :D
But I don't know, I just can't. If there's an easy mode that allows me to quicksave anywhere and monsters don't respawn each time I die, perhaps I'll give the games another go. Because that's my main concern of these games. The games punish me by wasting my time because of dying. I barely have time to play video games, so no thanks.

You're supposed to learn from death i.e. git gud. I replayed the game earlier this year and I finished the first half in about 10 hours instead of the 40 that it took me on my first playthrough. You will make slow progress at the start and feel like the game is punishing you to repeat the same sections but you should be getting better at combat so that you don't die as easily and can play faster.

You're supposed to learn from death i.e. git gud. I replayed the game earlier this year and I finished the first half in about 10 hours instead of the 40 that it took me on my first playthrough. You will make slow progress at the start and feel like the game is punishing you to repeat the same sections but you should be getting better at combat so that you don't die as easily and can play faster.

Yes, I understand that's how I should play the game. But most of the time, when I feel that I'm getting better, I made a silly mistake and died. And that frustrated me a lot. It's not like I'm stuck at the early zone. The dying and repeating part is just frustrating.

In Witcher 3, for example, I played the game on hard but I didn't find the game frustrating despite getting game over screen dozens of time. It's because every time I died, I only have to restart that one battle only as I have an autosave/quicksave ready. Even though Souls combat is 'better' and Witcher 3 is just 'bad' (not my opinion), I totally enjoyed playing Witcher 3 a lot more than Souls.

Arthea

In anticipation of Nep Nep V release I did small research how steam treats IF. Here are some numbers by the date of release:

Agarest: Generations of War
Release date: Feb 4, 2014 Price: $14.99
Userscore: 76% Metascore: 45%
Owners: 175,035 ± 10,205

Agarest Zero
Release date: Apr 17, 2014 Price: $19.99
Userscore: 78%
Owners: 58,189 ± 5,885

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1
Release date: Jan 29, 2015 Price: $29.99
Userscore: 96% Metascore: 72%
Owners: 170,667 ± 10,077

Agarest: Generations of War 2
Release date: Feb 19, 2015 Price: $19.99
Userscore: 73%
Owners: 32,449 ± 4,395

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2 Sisters Generation
Release date: May 29, 2015 Price: $29.99
Userscore: 93%
Owners: 77,377 ± 6,786

Fairy Fencer F
Release date: Aug 4, 2015 Price: $29.99
Userscore: 94% Metascore: 66%
Owners: 48,673 ± 5,383

Amnesia™: Memories
Release date: Aug 25, 2015 Price: $29.99
Userscore: 97%
Owners: 8,112 ± 2,197

now I see some alarming tendencies here of sales dropping with every released title. Considering that their games are getting better and better, ports are good, their steam support is great and their pricing policies are more or less amazing with those first day discounts, they do everything right, but sales are still dropping.
Hopefully I'm wrong and Nep Nep V will sell again as good as Nep Nep did.

In anticipation of Nep Nep V release I did small research how steam treats IF. Here are some numbers by the date of release:

Agarest Zero

now I see some alarming tendencies here of sales dropping with every released title. Considering that their games are getting better and better, ports are good, their steam support is great and their pricing policies are more or less amazing with those first day discounts, they do everything right, but sales are still dropping.

IF humble bundle
You know I'm right.

I still didnt came around to finish the first NepNep, thats why i didnt bought the sequels yet.
I probably will hold off on the newest one for this reason. I bought the second one before I'd beaten the first one, haven't made any progress on that, so it seems kinda silly to keep doing it.

Agarest Zero

The Neptunia games are almost all the same games gameplaywise and I would even say contentwise.
Neptunia 2 is "the same game" as Neptunia 1 and Neptunia 3, judging from the screenshots, rehashes stages from the first game again, so i can see why people might get tired of it.

Agarest is another game, that people just bought, because it was "kinda" the first JRPG on Steam.

Tektonic

Why does the words
Credit Card
Money
Make Money
Revenue

Have strange green links on my Android phone??

(If you don't see it, I'll know I'm doomed)

I don't see an alarming trend.

Neptunia 1 is out longer, was bundled, and was a fresh surprise on Steam when it came out.

That the very "samey" sequel that came out only a few months later sells less than that shouldn't be surprising. Nep 3 won't do Nep 1 numbers for a while if ever.

Knurek

Have you taken into account the fact that each of the newer games had a significantly shorter time in store to be purchased?

Neptunia 1 is out longer, was bundled, and was a fresh surprise on Steam when it came out.

That the very "samey" sequel that came out only a few months later sells less than that shouldn't be surprising. Nep 3 won't do Nep 1 numbers for a while if ever.

Yeah, we have to see sales numbers of each game after one particular time range.
If Nep 1 got 150k sales in 6 months, for example, we have to see Nep 2 sales after 6 months as well.

Arthea

That the very "samey" sequel that came out only a few months later sells less than that shouldn't be surprising. Nep 3 won't do Nep 1 numbers for a while.

It doesn't much matter that it is out longer as it had exactly the same price and discounts as Nep Nep2, as for being bundled, it had about 100K sales before being bundled, I probably should find my post with prebundle sale numbers, but it might be hard to do.

also Nep Nep has no problems of other ports on steam, it is good and cheap, that should account for something.

Yeah, we have to see sales numbers of each game after one particular time range.
If Nep 1 got 150k sales in 6 months, for example, we have to see Nep 2 sales after 6 months as well.

I am sure a lot of people will still be put off by Neptunia.
Buy the first one, dont like it, so they wont buy the second one (that is, compared to other sequels) essentially the same game.

also Nep Nep has no of problems of other ports on steam, it is good and cheap, that should account for something.

But, as a JRPG, its also rather mediocre and if the sequels play exactly the same (and they do), people might get tired of it.

It's still going to be lower than Nep 1's sales. Only people who really liked the first one and want more are going to buy the second one because they're very similar games.

But that doesn't indicate a problem, as development and porting costs are also much lower for Nep 2 and Nep 3. You can't just look at sales numbers in a vacuum.

It doesn't much matter that it is out longer as it had exactly the same price and discounts as Nep Nep2

Of course that matters. You need to compare launch-aligned sales numbers to make a statement.
Also it seems to me like Nep 2 is on track to reach 100k sales before being bundled as well.

derExperte

Even I might buy an anime-looking JRPG like Neptunia once in a while if it's cheap and I the cards are valuable. What I won't buy is Neptunia 2 or 3 or 4 before I've played through the first one which might never happen and I imagine I'm not alone with this behaviour.

aw350

Banned
It's still going to be lower than Nep 1's sales. Only people who really liked the first one and want more are going to buy the second one because they're very similar.

But that doesn't indicate a problem, as development and porting costs are also much lower for Nep 2 and Nep 3.

That problem (of people only buying games #2, #3, etc, if they liked game #1) is also kind of solved by later bundling - you end up selling more of earlier games, somewhat covering for selling less of later games.

FWIW, I also don't see the problem with Neptunia / Agarest quite yet - it's just too early, there wasn't time for many to even decide whether they like game #1 in each series or not. If it was 5 years since game #1 and games #2, #3 were showing a big decrease, then perhaps it would be a problem - but we are ways off from 5 years.

Even I might buy an anime-looking JRPG like Neptunia once in a while if it's cheap and I the cards are valuable. What I won't buy is Neptunia 2 or 3 or 4 before I've played through the first one which might never happen and I imagine I'm not alone with this behaviour.

Exactly. I am the same way, for example.

Corpekata

Banned
Even if the games are better, they are sequels or very similar games (fairy Fencer) that are released in a short amount of time. Of course they're going to drop. First couple will get some curious people that decide against future purchases and slow players.

The people still buying it tend to be the main audience.

Also Agarest sucks and people likely realized it. It was lucky and extremely well timed as being one of the first JRPGs on Steam.

I mean, I love RPGs but I sure as shit don't want to play 4 games with nearly the exact same battle system in the span of a year.

It doesn't much matter that it is out longer as it had exactly the same price and discounts as Nep Nep2, as for being bundled, it had about 100K sales before being bundled, I probably should find my post with prebundle sale numbers, but it might be hard to do.

also Nep Nep has no problems of other ports on steam, it is good and cheap, that should account for something.

NepNep2 came out just 5 months after the first one and out of nowhere. I'm not surprised it sold poorly.

That problem (of people only buying games #2, #3, etc, if they liked game #1) is also kind of solved by later bundling - you end up selling more of earlier games, somewhat covering for selling less of later games.

FWIW, I also don't see the problem with Neptunia / Agarest quite yet - it's just too early, there wasn't time for many to even decide whether they like game #1 or not.

Pretty much. The Neptunia ports aren't a series where you can expect growth form game to game. It's very much expected that sales of later titles will be lower.

NepNep2 came out just 5 months after the first one and out of nowhere. I'm not surprised it sold poorly.
That's not even true. 80k seems alright to me.

Arthea

Even if the games are better, they are sequels or very similar games (fairy Fencer) that are released in a short amount of time. Of course they're going to drop. First couple will get some curious people that decide against future purchases and slow players.

The people still buying it tend to be the main audience.

Also Agarest sucks and people likely realized it. It was lucky and extremely well timed as being one of the first JRPGs on Steam.

ha! I forgot to include Fairy Fencer, how silly of me

edited: included now

The Neptunia games are almost all the same games gameplaywise and I would even say contentwise.
Neptunia 2 is "the same game" as Neptunia 1 and Neptunia 3, judging from the screenshots, rehashes stages from the first game again, so i can see why people might get tired of it.

Agarest is another game, that people just bought, because it was "kinda" the first JRPG on Steam.

yeah, I'm aware that first Agarest numbers are more or less fluke, as it is the worst game in IF's steam library, it had those sales because it was first.

I am sure a lot of people will still be put off by Neptunia.
Buy the first one, dont like it, so they wont buy the second one (that is, compared to other sequels) essentially the same game.

But, as a JRPG, its also rather mediocre and if the sequels play exactly the same (and they do), people might get tired of it.

It's still going to be lower than Nep 1's sales. Only people who really liked the first one and want more are going to buy the second one because they're very similar games.

But that doesn't indicate a problem, as development and porting costs are also much lower for Nep 2 and Nep 3. You can't just look at sales numbers in a vacuum.

Yeah, you're right.
The first game decides the fate of the series. If people didn't like it, they won't buy the next game(s). I for one don't find the appeal in Neptunia games despite a huge fan of JRPG. I've also watched the anime back then, even.

Fairy Fencer always had a lower appeal than Neptunia and pretty much sold like garbage on consoles (or so I've heard), so those numbers seem alright as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom