• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | October 2015 - You had me at "game ... comes to Steam".

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
League is shit regardless of where you look.

Don't even try, bro.

:>
that's just mean and untrue

reddit is a bit different in that they have to come up with vaguely democratic posting rules.

Neogaf has the benefit of being owned by one person who can unilaterally ban anyone who starts posting GG shit or whatever.
i wouldn't exactly call that a benefit

the strict policing is the least of the reasons i visit this site, i've made good friends here and i like how i can just hang out in one or two threads and enjoy myself, those are the reasons i like neogaf, has nothing to do with the elitist crap

imo there are problems with how this site is run (as with any other site) which are prolly not worth discussing since it's not like i'm gonna offer better alternatives, but for sure having to watch my words cos the ever present (and sometimes debatably fair) ban hammer is hovering over your head is not something i'd count as a positive about neogaf

but i would agree it's a better system than reddit, i think reddit's algorithm or whatever leads to the worst kind of communities

Red Hood

Banned
Those Steam Controller impressions are really tempting me. It's sounding like one of the most versatile PC peripherals every released.

Same here, I've been doubtful from the start but I'm thinking the trackpad will grow on me. I hope a local store near me will have a few of them on display so I can try them out.

reddit is a bit different in that they have to come up with vaguely democratic posting rules.

Neogaf has the benefit of being owned by one person who can unilaterally ban anyone who starts posting GG shit or whatever.

In my limited time with Reddit I have never been banned for speaking my mind or answering the question posed by the thread title.

Reddit 1 GAF -3

Red Hood

Banned

Neogaf has the benefit of being owned by one person
who can unilaterally ban anyone who starts posting GG shit or whatever.

If anything this is a con.

Or I've been unable to detect your sarcasm.

What was that video codec pack everyone was talking about a few months back? Kinda tired of how awful video looks on my monitor even though it's supposed to be 1080p.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
New perk news, the Ocelot Gunslinger!

WWAUT - What To Bring To A Gunfight

Gunslinger. The perk name brings certain classic imagery to mind. Wisps of smoke lifting from the barrel of a 6-shooter as the eye of the gunslinger becomes visible through the clearing smoke. So what better to talk about than the weapons of such a Perk?

Tier 1: Model 1858 Revolver. An iconic weapon that saw use during the American Civil War, the Wild West frontier and further action around the world. This 6-shooter was prized by some over the competing revolvers of its time due to the fact that it could be reloaded quickly by replacing the entire cylinder with one pre-loaded instead of reloading the cylinder by hand. Just as lethal today as it was 150 years ago when that posse of zeds is beating down on your town.

Tier 2: M1911. Borne out of a search for a replacement for revolvers, this turn of the century pistol quickly found fans due to its stopping power and semi-automatic nature. Used by militaries around the world to this day, this pistol is a true friend to the gunman in need of some additional zed stopping power.

Tier 3: Desert Eagle. A hand cannon by any other name. This .50 caliber pistol is many a zed killer’s favorite weapon when it comes time to deliver zed killing force down range with its distinctive barrel and muzzle flash being the last thing a zed will ever see.

Tier 4: .500 Magnum Revolver. Some call it too large, others call it excessive. Horzine contractors consider it to be the last word when it comes to in-the-field zed disposal. Designed for “big game” hunting, many zed hunters have found it truly stands up to the task, even when it comes to the most dangerous of zeds.

With a bit of luck I’ve also managed to sneak a render off the desktop of our weapons artist to share with you and hope you enjoy it just as much as I do.

VDgGm1Q.jpg

One more item I would like to touch on in this post is our continuing audio work. With the last update we started what has become a general overhaul of almost all the audio in the game (be it tweaking, balance, or a re-recording) and that work continues. We are of course recording audio for all the weapons listed above (and think they are sounding great!) but that isn’t all. The Fleshpound is our first zed getting a full pass with all new sounds (and lines....) to bring him up to optimal “EarPound” levels. In the coming weeks we hope to be able to share some of that work with you!

gMTlSre.gif

ArjanN

the strict policing is the least of the reasons i visit this site, i've made good friends here and i like how i can just hang out in one or two threads and enjoy myself, those are the reasons i like neogaf, has nothing to do with the elitist crap

imo there are problems with how this site is run (as with any other site) which are prolly not worth discussing since it's not like i'm gonna offer better alternatives, but for sure having to watch my words cos the ever present (and sometimes debatably fair) ban hammer is hovering over your head is not something i'd count as a positive about neogaf

but i would agree it's a better system than reddit, i think reddit's algorithm or whatever leads to the worst kind of communities

IMO it's definitely a benefit given that way more shit slips through the cracks on other sites. Also, honestly it's not terribly hard to avoid getting banned on GAF, it's 99% just using common sense.

Anyway: videogames!

i think spiders are kind of cool, if i didn't have a crippling fear of spiders i'd probably really like drawing them

Ironically, I sort of feel the same way about sharks. I think they're terrifyingly fascinating and love watching shit on Shark week.

...Just, ya know, hate going in the ocean.

So what do you call the guy that REALLY likes red and gets insanely defensive anytime anyone says "Y'know, I don't really like red that much"

If we're not being specific to the love of the color red and you just want the opposite of xenophobic per Arthea's example, then it would be a xenophilic, I believe.

You know I am just kidding Zky~

Reddit has some good parts though it's not all bad. But yes some subreddits are awful.

I liked it better when you weren't kidding.
And you're right... reddit has good parts and bad parts just as SteamGAF has good posters and bad posters; reddit, however, allows you to customize your experience beyond what a simple "ignore" function allows -- so you can get rid of the stuff you dislike and not have to deal with it, reference it, or even remember it exists.

zkylon

zkylewd
You know I am just kidding Zky~

Reddit has some good parts though it's not all bad. But yes some subreddits are awful.
reddit is good as like a news feed kind of thing

if u get into reading comments you're got some bad times ahead of u

IMO it's definitely a benefit given that way more shit slips through the cracks on other sites. Also, honestly it's not terribly hard to avoid getting banned on GAF, it's 99% just using common sense.

Anyway: videogames!
i've been in other communities/forums that were less strict and still got a lot of friends and cool moments so i duno, i don't think it's nearly as necessary as it's advertised

Ironically, I sort of feel the same way about sharks. I think they're terrifyingly fascinating and love watching shit on Shark week.

...Just, ya know, hate going in the ocean.
i mean, i wouldn't like going to the ocean if there were sharks there, luckily i've got the good ocean side so no sharks here

also sharks are cool, i have a shark plushie

and a piranha plushie

Eila

Welp, I had to insert an usb to a foreign computer and of course it instantly catched some .trash folder virus. Now I must clean it by installing an antivirus in my computer. What's the best one?

Saty

Hmm, IdleMaster doesn't seem to detect Gone Home (at least in the multiple games idling for 2 hours stage). I wonder if it's because i played it before via family sharing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Hmm, IdleMaster doesn't seem to detect Gone Home (at least in the multiple games idling for 2 hours stage). I wonder if it's because i played it before via family sharing.

If you have over two hours on record, it doesn't need to be idled up to the two hour mark which is probably why it's not being picked up here.

I guess that's one instance where one of two things will happen (not sure which, honestly) 1) since you already have over 2 hours of playtime, you don't need to idle it further before it's eligible for cards or 2) the two or more hours you previously played via family sharing don't count, and Idle Master will need to idle this game for an additional two hours on it's own before cards start dropping.

If you remember by the time it happens, let me know how it goes either way.

Saty

Yeah, that's probably it. I have 2.3h played before.

I had one other game besides GH when i first tried it and it just started idling the first one only regularly. Now i have 2 games besides GH and it's doing it's 2-hours multi-idling for those two.

Volimar

This is true. When you can get banned just for making what a mod considers a ridiculous statement that doesn't break any rule, there's something more to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom